Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm sure Emma Watson in crying into her giant pay packet as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Alison Brie is also 8 years older than Emma Watson

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Countdown to fan art a promotional poster of Ralph posing like Kim Kardashian...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

yes, Rick & Morty's ad-libbing is pretty much kept to one episode per season so far

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, I hope it doesn't have to become a regular thing just because they've done it twice now

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Ninjago looks ok but I really hope they don't drive this Lego thing into the ground now :/

Pretty much the only Lego movie I need now is Lego Star Wars and then they can be done pls

There's been Lego Star Wars shows for ages, just not a Lego Star Wars movie by the teams that made the last two movies great.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

That's gross, pls delete

you of all people shouldn't kink shame

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I need to give Cowboy Bebop a shot. I bought the blurays after all

do yourself a favour and watch it in Japanese, don't fall for the dub hype

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I am so terribly sorry that we're talking about cartoons in a context that is making you uncomfortable with the thread, Hedrigall. My heart bleeds for you.

:boom:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Drifter posted:

99% of dubs in this world are loving awful.

Also, Cowboy Bebop is a dope movie, made even better after watching the series.

the only good ones are the ones from shows I watched as a kid :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

dumb fanfiction.

no need to repeat yourself

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I can't believe it takes it's entire visual design and music directly from the film

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

counterpoint, there's a reason it's one of the very few dubs many weeaboos will concede is good.

They're wrong, and not just because all dubs are bad. I don't care if they like it, people are allowed to like bad things.

I'm coming from a perspective where I watched it in Japanese, I think a lot of people who think the dub is okay probably never watched it in Japanese. I have only ever tried the dub twice, and both times had to turn it off after 5 minutes. The characterisation via the voice in the dub is just completely different. If you watch the dub I think you'll be watching a different show basically and I prefer the one the original creators came up with.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'll just agree to disagree on this. I personally prefer dubs (though granted, I can't remember the last anime I've watched aside from the Bebop blurays).

if you enjoy it there's no reason to bother with what I think anyway

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Toad King posted:

Hmm, you're right.

good effort team, ideas and execution

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

There actually is a bat character that got cut from the film. He shows up in the art book and strangely as a toy with Clawhauser.

I can't even remember the last time I watched anime and enjoyed it at this point, but Bebop has always a place for me. You have me intrigued enough to go back and give the subs a try. Been needing to finish watching the Blu-Ray anyways.

"one of us, one of us"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Is anyone else a Wolf's Rain fan? :kiddo:

It's anime as gently caress but I dig the post apocalyptic feel and the music is absolutely excellent (it's by Yoko Kanno who did all of the Bebop music too)

I think after coming off Bebop and Berserk I watched a few episodes of it and a few episodes of Samurai Champloo and I didn't end up watching any more of either of them .

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I didn't really like "jolly fat guy cop" in Zootopia

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Didn't they have an issue with potentially casting a black actor in the role of an enslaved character the first time around? I seem to recall some uncomfortableness.

I usually don't like the term, but this sounds like political correctness being raised for no reason

starkebn
May 18, 2004

or "Grave of the Fireflies"?

(most people aren't ready for it)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Todd protecting Copper in the water looking up at the hunter after the bear fight in Fox & the Hound

Because it's my favourite animated scene ever

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Watched NIMH tonight as well. Gets a "meh" from me. Probably my favourite bit was when Mrs Bisby had to put the drug in Dragon the cat's food. Her fear and indecision was well done.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

and shoehorn an extremely cliche fantasy plot into a setting where it doesn't fit.

Opposed to the first film how?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

For gods sakes

Hah, sorry I missed it. I think.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

so for some Disney gets a pass on being anti-semetic because he was a product of his era but C S Lewis and Tolkein can't get a pass on being colonialists and classist.

double.standard.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

Because even for the era they're pretty assholish for that and it's not like Disney is putting himself on a higher moral ground, while CS Lewis does have a tendency to preach morality.

fair, I don't really know how hard these people pushed their ideas

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Doesn't Disney also have something to answer for about the current copyright law?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Not having a tv between 1996-2005, and never really watching commercial television anyway I have never even heard the name Balto. So I guess it's impact wasn't very wide.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Maybe there's a reason there's classification for movies after all

starkebn
May 18, 2004

if people stopped talking about Hedrigall's supposed kink altogether this thread would be better to read

starkebn
May 18, 2004

something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0zPOpADL4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Build-a-Boar posted:

The only way I can sleep at night is to tell myself that the scene where a giant mech pulls a giant bowie knife was written entirely for comedy, and nobody seriously wrote that thinking it would be good and cool.

To add to the Over the Garden Wall art book I've bought, I noticed they finally put the drat thing on Blu-ray! I have no idea if there's any special features because the Amazon listing is bare bones.

it's similar to the stupidity in Pacific Rim where the mech waits until he's virtually on death's door before pulling out a mega sword which just so happens to be better than missiles and bullets etc

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876W253z6KY

But wow, that dialogue and voice acting is bad. I can see why his TIE fighter animation didn't have any dialogue.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

so many good animated music videos out there, but here is one using an old b&w Betty Boop short that highlights how crazy some of that stuff could get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwrdHOu6vQ

starkebn
May 18, 2004

101 Dalmations: Jasper and Horace MVP characters

Cruela special mention

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Unmature posted:

Dude, I work with kids and the amount of parents that say something like "I'm glad they make these because they won't watch the old cartoons" is upsetting.

Complete bullshit projection anyway, the parents just don't want to watch them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I couldn't get past episode 3 of FMA:B, the writing was horrible. After I saw the same joke:reaction of him being called short or his brother being called the FMA I had had enough.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

you could watch Totoro in Japanese without subtitles fine

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I rewatched Kungfu Panda last night and I still think it's one of the best animated films of the last few decades. The plot is interesting, the script is really tight with lots of humour but plenty of poignant moments, no superfluous characters, awesome kungfu action, very strong voice acting, and the animation still holds up even if the texturing is a bit weak if you really look for it.

10/10 would recommend.

Oogwei is best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think they all perfectly suited, but I kind of see them as one character