Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lego Batman looks good ya jerks. Also the song they use in the trailer is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think Shrek 3 was one of the most pointless movies I have ever watch in my entire life. Like more so than trash straight to video sequels that no one likes. There wasn't a single thing that happened in Shrek 3 that couldn't have been fit into a 5 minute montage at the beginning of Shrek 4, which I thought was a pretty alright movie.

Like Shrek 3 isn't even really worth saying it's bad, it's just... COMPLETELY unnecessary.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Magnus Condomus posted:

This also throws into question where Wall-E is on this timeline.

Cars and Zootopia are actually VERY far in the future. Long after Wall-E. The other movies take place before Wall-E

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

starkebn posted:

I just watched Rango again, and while the first 2 acts are great, the third act once he gets kicked out of town is absolutely amazing.

Great movie

Rattlesnake Jake is loving kickass

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Was who framed roger rabbit any good

Like, I know it is this beloved technological marvel of animation and live action and fitting all of these different characters together, but was it actually any good?

What the gently caress yes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Woah, Avshalom just outted himself as Don Bluth.

I will end your lemon sucking giant bottom lipped terror if it's the last thing I do, Avshalom

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

So the doll for Belle from the live-action Beauty and the Beast has been revealed, and... oh

Oh

That doll is about on par with how the new Beauty and the Beast looks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I keep seeing people on twitter praising Storks (like EmmyC) and I watched a bunch of clips from it and it looks like a ton of fun. Has anyone here actually seen it and can comment on it? Like the clip with the wolves making a bridge out of themselves alone is pretty amazing

edit: Oh Stork is out on DVD now? gently caress I'll just go watch it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Verdict: Storks was awesome. The animation is fast and frantic in the same way Emperor's New Groove was, so it was a ton of fun the whole time. The ending was very sweet.

The wolves were loving hilarious. The chase scene with them came close to giving the Venice chase in Penguins of Madagascar a run for its money. The wolves turning into different vehicles was hysterical.
The ending when all the babies get delivered and you see each set of parents get their babies is one of the most :unsmith: scenes in a movie I've seen in a while.
There's a part near the end that literally made me do this gesture in real life: :psyduck: because after the protagonists get chased into the baby factory, and accidentally turn the machine and cause it to overload, there's a part where the Cornerstone.com boss breaks through the side of the mountaintop building in a giant loving mech (it's not really a mech, but the machine ends up looking like one) and you get this insane shot of the thing scaling the mountain breaking into the building. You also get to see the like... power core??? of the baby machine and it looks like some ancient alien machine technology which is pretty funny.

Also something about this joke just absolutely loving destroyed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYR852OkpA

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Storks voice acting probably helped the movie a lot, aside from several of the actors doing lines together (the two main characters have great chemistry), the two head wolves are Key and Peele :buddy: Also Tulip's voice actor isn't some big movie star, she's pretty much exclusively a voice actress and she's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OOFwZn_bnM

It's interesting that there was that article about Tulip not even being in the movie at all before the trailers came out and only starred the four dudes, because she's one of the most important characters in the movie. I liked her character and design a lot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Will Smith is gonna voice the racist crows

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aces High posted:

After seeing recent stills for Beauty and the Beast I am more interested in it than I thought I would be, at least as far as costume design goes because I am in love with Gaston's red jacket :swoon:

Jesus christ

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm hesitant about Beauty since the animated film isn't that great in my opinion. I saw it again after not seeing it since I was a kid and it really doesn't hold up well. And Gaston's voice...

Oh my god

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hell yeah keep love seein Storks getting love here, it was good

I also had NO idea Phil Lord and Chris Miller were involved with Storks even as producers, but you can totally see their influence in the movie

Mierenneuker posted:

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

As someone who actually thinks The Lion King is sort of overrated (it's good but it wouldn't be like top 5 material or anything) that shot of the wildebeests coming over the side of the cliff is loving incredible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't really care about Spiderman all that much to be honest but I'll watch literally anything those two do

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

devilwu posted:

Red turtle should win, in my opinion. It's a beautiful piece of art.
My Life as a Zucchini is great and it's Claude Barras first film which is really awesome but not an oscar winner.
Zootopia was fun and all but far from a[b]n oscar.
[b]Kubo and the Two Strings
I didn't see it ("shame!")
[b]Moana
neither this one

What are your prognosis?

What happened here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Everyone I know, including my best friend, keeps saying how good the new Beauty and the Beast looks and like I have to believe this is all some big elaborate troll on me as a person at this point. This is why donald trump won I think

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U496dSv2k_g

I really think the original movie looks better. It just has so much more soul

God. GOD. How can anyone watch this comparison and see the loving WEAKASS Beast and Gaston they have compared to the original and still be EXCITED FOR IT. Look at that poo poo!!!! Look at that lovely Gaston with his tiny stick body and 1980s werewolf costume Beast. gently caress.

And man that scene after the Beast saves Belle and they have this like old-married-couples bickering back and forth in the original is SO GOOD and I bet the new movie isn't going to have a scene even HALF as good in place of it. I'm so mad about this movie I have no intention of seeing anyway gently caress

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

IS THERE EVEN GONNA BE A FOOTREST DOG I MEAN gently caress

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

I also really like Morning Report :shrug: but, like the Beast, I am also a dumb idiot

Morning Report is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my entire life on this planet. I hate that song to death

Build-a-Boar posted:

Well Human Again has sent me down the Disney song black hole again and I just want to say that Hercules is a rad movie with rad songs and it's all around great and the muses in particular are the tits. I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0DMTlwLw4

This song on the other hand is DOPE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

starkebn posted:

apart from Rowan Atkinson not singing I don't get the hate for morning report :shrug:

It's a bad song and it ruins the scene

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Now I've seen Moana I really really appreciate this

and really really wish it was real. Hey, maybe they'll reanimate the whole movie with anthropomorphic animals as a bluray bonus feature for Moana :getin:

I'd be okay with them literally just reanimating You're Welcome with cat people. Little cat Meowana and big square cat Meowi

edit:
That bunch of catnip all on the ground?
Oh that was Meowi just messin around
I killed a bird
And brought you his guts
Now that you're pettin me I'm goin nuts

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lego is killin it as far as I'm concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSYYiATFTI

Also the song in the trailer really blind sided me. And then they made it work somehow

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hey so I just started watching Trolls but I wanted to say something before I get too far into the movie and forget about it:

I really like that they showed the Bergen stuff FIRST so that when you get the scene with Branch and Poppy at the beginning you don't immediately side with Poppy because Branch is being to negative. You are shown first thing in the movie the threat the Trolls face, and Branch is totally right to worry about the village making so much noise the Bergen find them. Usually in these movies they'd have Poppy be shown as 100% normal and cool and Branch as 100% crazy. But instead the way Trolls handles it you can easily see Branch's point of view amongst all the happy trolls

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wellp Trolls was really good.

Also I know it's cliche at this point, but I'm totally a sucker for the "two people don't get along but fall in love at the end" trope. Although they don't really go too hard on it either, there's no like kissing scene or marriage scene or anything. They play it way more subtly than other movies do. It's cute. My only real complaint about the movie was that I wish all the songs were original, and not just the one Poppy sings when she starts the adventure. All of them are covers, and they're not bad, but none of them are as good as the Poppy song.

Well except for that main Justin Timberlake song, that song is really really good.

It's pretty great to be pleasantly surprised by Trolls and Storks, two movies that looked pretty typically dire from the trailers.

Also jesus christ the movie is so pretty like gently caress. Those COLORS :swoon:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

If somethin goes a little wrong
Well you can go ahead and bring it on!
Cause if you knock knock me over
I
Will
Get back up again!

:buddy:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Drifter posted:

I really don't like this song.

Eh by itself I don't really like it all that much either. It really needs the context of the movie because it's a REALLY GOOD SCENE and the song is a huge part of it

edit: Unlike this song, which is amazing with or without context of the movie (although the way it's used in the movie is really good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBNHt8Vd-I

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ccs posted:

I think this is probably a valid way to see the world. I'm surprised a kids movie would take that approach, but I think it's interesting. I might need to watch Trolls now.

Consider this: it's an animated movie that earns its dance party at the end. Like it would actually be wearker WITHOUT the ending dance party. What the gently caress

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aces High posted:

god drat we are never going to forget that event are we

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZItbOz4vw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

It's a fair complaint, I suppose. I mean:

Counterpoint: they don't look the same

This is like that dumb thing I've seen posted that had Steven Universe, Gumball, Dipper and I think Clarence and was like CARTOONS ALL LOOK THE SAME NOWADAYS

I mean sure if you're an idiot

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

The eyes are pretty similar across the entire set, at least - even across completely different species.

Except Go Go Tomago in the middle there; she kinda stands out and I'm not sure why she was lumped in here.

Sure. But Pixar is guilty of the same thing and I never see those same complaints about them.

And don't get me wrong, I fully understand if the complaint is that they aren't super interesting design wise. I think Disney tends to play it a bit safe compared to something like Trolls or Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs or even like Madagascar. I also loved the designs in Storks but I can understand why people might not agree. But the complaint about the Disney girls looking the same is nonsense to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I could see them making a Cars based around Mad Max and having it work, so long as they don't include Mater and Lightning at all and let it be its own thing. Cars 2's biggest problem was having Lightning in it at any point, the spy movie stuff worked great. Half that movie is a good spy movie, half the movie is a terrible Cars movie.

Also talking about Trolls... again... I think I kind of agree with Pick on that Moana is technically a BETTER movie, but I think I also enjoyed Trolls more?? Maybe it's me being just absolutely in love with the aesthetic but something about Trolls just worked really well for me. Moana was gorgeous too but the style they chose to go with in Trolls as well as being colorful as gently caress makes me kind of like it a bit more than Moana

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Sort of both, actually. It's sort of a twofold issue, with overly-literal "video gamey" animation, and a restricted range of design on the assets themselves. I'll see if I can do a quick mock-up of how I might have made Tamatoa a little more visually interesting for example, if I remember (and I fully expect some people will hate it!)

Don't worry fam, I got you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Now I want to see Barry as Scar/Ursula/Gaston/Cruella De Vil/Yzma/Jafar/Frollo/Hades/Dr Facilier

and by want to see I mean claw my eyes out

I don't know if I have the stomach to do more

edit: gently caress on the other hand, this is incredible:

Hedrigall posted:

I've Got Friends In The Other Hive

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, yes. Though I was really impressed by Trolls's overall aesthetic. They were basically cribbing from Little Big Planet and Aardman but it was refreshingly idiosyncratic.

I think it helped that they stuck to that aesthetic for drat near everything. The only things I can think of that didn't have some kind of fabric/scrapbook look to them were a few liquids you see in the movie (the green belly acid, the garbage one Bergen pours out a window) and some of the Bergen environments, especially the castle and the big Troll pot. Which I'm pretty sure is intentional, because every single bit of the forest has the fabric look. They really committed to the LOOK of the movie, and it super pays off. Like even the trolls that are made of glitter end up not looking out of place at all because the whole movie is designed around that style. Even when there's fire it's stylized to look very scrapbooky

Oh and the teeth. The teeth weren't fabric, I guess that would've been a little weird.

edit: oh and the eyeballs I guess

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 16, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

teagone posted:

Had some time to burn in between renders and put this together real quick because I loving love that tagline. Re-worked it slightly though, and made a change to the title as per Waffleman's suggestion. I laughed.

:eyepop: :perfect:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So there's been a couple more trailers for the Tangled series, as well as a Tangled series movie that's debuting the whole thing. I didn't realize that Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are reprising their roles for the show. Which I'm pretty shocked about, I figured they'd go for less expensive regular voice actors. I suppose the two of them don't really have much going on nowadays.

The animation still looks pretty nice for a TV show, the premise of her getting her hair back though seems pointless beyond being On Brand. There's been very little in the trailers that show that she needs to have long hair again

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

I did the image of Tamatoa to illustrate comments I had made about his animation and design earlier and I think that is perfectly within the spirit of the thread.

Me too :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'll say it again, the biggest problem with HTTYD2 was they had the funeral scene at the WORST point in the movie. It's impossible to get caught up in that scene and take it in at all cause you want them to just hurry up and save Toothless

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

I should watch TLK2 again soon. And then 1.5 for the first time even though it hurts me

This is insane to me. This is like how people keep saying the new Beauty and the Beast looks good. People keep saying LK2 was good and I'm like :confused: meanwhile people are saying 1.5 was bad and I still have to believe I keep getting thrown into some alternate hell dimension where every day is april fools day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

The Timon of Pumbaa cartoon show was one of the first moments I remember realizing that a cartoon show could be bad.

WHAT THE gently caress

edit: this poo poo is all a big prank on me as revenge for the Barrytoa isn't it