Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did people finally realize that "SJW" doesn't mean anything and started saying "cuck" in place of it? Cause it's used in like, the exact same way. Though it still doesn't mean anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The thing I remember most about John K's somewhat recent nonsense is him bitching about current CG animated shows or movies and then being all "back in my day" about like The Flintstones or some poo poo. I roll my eyes so hard at that kind of snobby bullshit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Jeez, this is a worse crowd than that time I did a one night show at The Apawllo!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:barrypop:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I guess this is what happens when I haven't seen any good animated films in a while.

I just saw Trolls and loved it but am trying not to make every post about it so Barrytoa happened

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

An Extremely Goofy movie is a bad movie

Phylodox posted:

Also, Max is kind of a shithead in this movie. Although, Goofy is pretty ridiculously co-dependent.

Also this. Like, in the first movie, it was easy to see the viewpoints of both sides. Both of them had reasons for acting the way they did, so I never felt like Max was too much of a jerk to be relatable. He was a high school kid that wanted to be independent and cool and felt trapped by his dad, everyone knows what that feeling was like. But in the sequel, he's no longer a high schooler and the entire scene where he's leaving his dad to go off to college just makes Max look like a huge rear end in a top hat. Similar with Goofy where they tried to do similar things to the first movie and went way too far in the wrong direction and made him this really weird sad co-dependent mess.

Also literally everything to do with the x-games stuff was dumb as hell. Also they eat nachos in a really gross manner. That movie sucks

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Also that she always treats him like a man, and holds him responsible as such. She never lets his being a beast be an excuse, because she does not see him as a beast.

Plus if anyone is a beast it's the loving evil witch that punished a literal child to a cursed life as a monster as well as punishing all the servants that lived in the castle as well. It's like of loving course the Beast is such a poo poo when Belle first meets him, he was turned into a monster as a child and had basically accepted that he was never going to be transformed back. Meanwhile the evil witch that apparently goes door to door cursing naughty children was clearly capable of magic and didn't actually need to stay in the castle in the first place.

We need a Beauty and the Beast sequel where Beast (who now has the ability to shift back and forth between his human form and beast form, like a werewolf) and Belle go on an adventure to find and kill this evil witch that is making her way around the world probably cursing other children for like not eating their peas or some poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I might get drawn and quartered for saying this, but I'm not really the biggest fan of Don Bluth's stuff. Most of his stuff is.....the best way I can put it is visually off-putting. I can't really articulate why, I just don't like it.

Also he has a bad habit of drawing small girls with bedroom eyes and THAT'S WEIRD.

It's because all of his character talk like they are also eating a lemon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I remember one bit in the Rumor in St. Petersburg song in Anastasia where all the characters are talking with their tongues flapping wildly about like they're going to town on invisible lollipops, it was bizarre.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That "How Far I'll Go" Performance though. :swoon: she looked so nervous but completely killed it. Her voice is unbelievable

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think you'll find that Trolls deserved best animated

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LeJackal posted:

pro-heteronormative propaganda.

Is this a joke post

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mycot posted:

Didn't Storks actually go out of its way to not be totally straight (despite the premise) by having one of the couples receiving babies be same-sex?

A few different same sex couples (both two men and two women), a single mom, and several mixed race couples

Like yeah the main child story was a mom and a dad but that doesn't make it "pro-heteronormative propaganda" :psyduck: I mean hell the entire message of the movie is that a family can be anything. In fact I think they literally say those exact words??

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Started watching The Lion King 1.5 tonight, tired now, will finish tomorrow.

It's really not good, guys. In fact it's quite bad :(

Incorrect

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/Trolls/status/836647364978843649

Get a time machine and tell my past self that I would actually be interested in this and I'd have laughed in your face

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a snake in my... pants ;)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LeJackal posted:

The reactions to all of this are incredibly hostile.

That's not too surprising. Every place keeps going on about omg it's Disney's first openly gay character go Disney!!! Except that the character is the lackey of one of the grosser Disney villians and if he's anything like the animated version he's mostly a joke character. I'm not gay so I can't really comment on how the gay community feels about it, I've just seen this response on twitter a lot from gay people I follow. I think it's more people are more annoyed at everyone patting Disney on the pack for this than the actual character itself

edit: That's on top of the movie looking like an utter pile of poo poo garbage

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Clumsy Card House posted:

John Powells work on How to Train Your Dragon was bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5N3q68e7OQ

John Powell is always the bomb and no one ever notices :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorJ1NTSaGo

The dude absolutely kills it with the soundtrack at the end of this movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Haledjian posted:

Also as a kid I'm pretty sure I hummed this song for a year straight.

:same: :same: :same: :same: :same: :same:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFR3Fmx2BP4

Also this, another John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams collab. It's so loving good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Now kiss

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ungulateman posted:

the first spongebob movie is a lowkey masterpiece

it kinda reminds me of how the simpsons had a really nasty subversive edge to it for the first...seven or so seasons? and then eventually barreled into its own success and settled for being generically pretty good (and then getting bad)

spongebob did basically the same thing, and the movie is the exact cutoff point, in my mind, between it being a worthy successor for the insanity of the 90s, and becoming nickelodeon's 'please give us ad money' show

Band Geeks was the peak, and then the movie was the victory flag on top of the mountain. and then it was all downhill from there. The second movie was weird but ok. Not great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The writing, story, and voice acting is all pretty bad. But the animation is pretty good which is something you can't say for most of these weird low effort animated movies that come to theaters somehow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I never got around to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road, and I still haven't seen it. I have it just sitting around here waiting to be watched. But I'm super apprehensive about watching it at this point because I haven't seen a movie hyped up like that in a long time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whiz Palace posted:

Also, there isn't a single thing on God's green earth that can stand up to the cynicism of someone who expects to hate it.

There are totally movies and TV shows that I straight up just refuse to watch because I'm not interested or won't think I'll like it. And I know that if I watch it and inevitably legit don't like it, I'll get the response "well you just didn't want to like the movie anyway"

edit: Mad Max is simply a "I haven't gotten around to it" thing though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

I can forgive that the whole anti-immigration subtext was probably never even considered

I bet a billion dollars it wasn't, because it's a movie that doesn't exist as its own thing, based on the game where the pigs are 100% the villain, and everyone knows it, the pigs are bad and shouldn't be trusted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I haven't actually watched Sing, but I did watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m7kHYjkU0g

Does Mike really not actually learn a lesson or get any kind of real comeuppance at any point in the movie?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I LOVE the animation in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbVKo9woevU

I HATE how much this trailer is just *record scratch* JOKE over and over. I'm sure the movie has plenty of jokes but this trailer feels specifically cut up to be that way and the movie won't be anywhere close to that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

I keep re-watching Trolls in the background when I work. I do like the movie a lot, but also drat I just like the sound of it. Arrrgh.

"You all said I was crazy. Well Who's crazy now?

Me.

Crazy prepared"

Is one of my favorite movie lines in anything ever. So many twists and turns!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It comes across very "we basically couldn't think of anything for another sequel" so they were like uhhhhhhhh twin brother.

What I did like from the trailer was the all the shots of like... really big ridiculous cars and machines and stuff. It looks they had a lot of fun designing that stuff

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wait what, is there an actual loving language they created for the Minions like loving elvish and not just a bunch of loving gibberish? :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

starkebn posted:

PSA: the Minions aren't that bad

PSA: Yes they are

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Our state, Florida, made a pretty good choice I must say.

Not Hawaii but ALASKA choosing Moana is kind of shocking

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not a single Megara or Jasmine anywhere to be seen; do people just have horrible taste or are they disqualified for some reason

No only that but there are multiple Snow Whites who is objectively the worst princess and her hair is stupid

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

He really isn't that gay! It's nuts how that's been blown up by people.

OK the brutal scene is when Beast dies. In this version all the servants are turned into antiques forever so you have this scene where they're all panicking as they're slowly changed in furniture. You have the loving dog crying and keeling over. You have Mrs Potts going crazy, panicking where Chip is as she dies. Cogsworth and Lumiere saying goodbye. It's incredibly emotional and, just... wow. You really have to see it to appreciate it. It's a great scene.

Whoa what?

This is the only thing that has gotten me at all interested in this movie that I've otherwise hated everything I've seen of. And it's the ending so still no reason to see it :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Janelle Monae would have been the perfect Belle.

Yeah she's like 30 but so is Emma Watson, almost. And Janelle can loving sing!

This would be awesome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2SrqLum1M

Captain Underpants Trailer aka ADULT VOICED KIDS

But drat I think this really looks great, read the books as a kid but have a vague reccolection of them, like didn't he have actual super powers? Looks charming anyway

The animation in this is delightful

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

When I saw Monster Trucks Leap was one of the trailers they played alongside Rock Dog and The Nut Job 2, so apparently the target demographic of all those movies is people who saw the Monster Trucks trailer and thought they might enjoy Monster Trucks.

How was Monster Trucks? Cause it looked like just a fun time that knew how ridiculous its premise was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

It's pretty harmless and has some monster and truck action. It feels very much like a kids movie, and I got kind of a 90s vibe from it and I don't know if that's because it actually reminds me of 90s stuff or just because I was exposed to more of this kind of movie/show at that time. Just the tone and the acting had that feel to it for me.

Just a few random thoughts:
The villains were an evil oil corporation that had taken over a small town and didn't give a poo poo about the environment (one of the characters is an environmental scientist, played by Thomas Lennon from Reno 911, who works for the oil company and falsifies data so he they can dig on what would otherwise be protected land), which was good. The main villain is Rob Lowe, but I don't think they had him on set for very long. All the bad guy stuff is done by proxy by his security contractor and their leader. At one point he gets a call during a meeting, and then at the end of the movie, there's a montage of all the characters, and he's in the same boardroom being arrested, as if they had to shoot something of him getting his comeuppance with what little time they had left of him being on set. The product placement was pretty intrusive. Everything is Dodge, one of the characters works at a Dodge dealership, and the dealership is a major plot point. Frank Welker plays the monster. It has a lot of time put into setting up the premise of monsters driving trucks, which makes sense because it was meant to set up a toy line or franchise or something.

But yeah not a good movie by any stretch, but I didn't really find it boring or too obnoxious that I can remember. Most of it's pretty forgettable. The synopsis section of the Wikipedia page has been asking to be expanded since January.

All that sounds good to me! Sounds about right, very much a just fun kids movie.

The product placement wouldn't bother me at all, but I also just never understand complaints about product placement in the first place. Every direction I can currently look there's a brand named product of some kind, almost every second of every day of my real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah but I mean... it's a movie about trucks. If they were constantly talking about Pizza Hut while driving their Dodge trucks I suppose that might be a bit jarring