Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drifter posted:

At least nobody died.

An animator for Bambi died on the 31st. He was 106 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have no interest in Troll Hunters, but it looks way better than the other Netflix animation that popped up today, Tarzan and Jane. :barf:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

And Yoko Kanno knocks it out of the park with music - as usual. People love to bitch about dubs, but Cowboy Bebop has a really fantastic one.

I'm more tolerant with dubs when it comes to animation, but even subbing purists dig Cowboy Bebop's dub.

I really ought to watch Space Dandy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Das Boo posted:

So I've notice something odd with early Pixar: A staggered blink. One lid follows the other halfway through the motion. Noticed it in Toy Story and A Bug's Life. This a processing power thing?

I hope you know you just ushered in the new FedEx arrow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SnakesandScorpions posted:

I actually really liked Porco Rosso out of all the Miyazaki films. His last film, As the Wind Rises was also well done and I definitely remember thinking that this movie definitely was a good place to retire as a director. A lot of the themes of love, war, and play were showcased in such a fashion as if Miyazaki was saying, "Hey! Pay attention!"

I remember one week years ago my girlfriend and I got our hands on all the Miyzaki films we could find and proceeded to watch a marathon of his movies. It's interesting to see how he grew as a director overtime. Compare, for example, Miyazaki's message of Castle in the Sky to Howl's Moving Castle. Both are extremely anti-war movies, but Howl does a better job at conveying the anti-war message to its audience then Castle in the Sky.

My man. Nobody seems to rate Porco Rosso high, but it's probably my favorite. I tend to prefer his simpler, more intimate movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pick posted:

He's a pure profiteer and his only goal is money/power. He's similar to Xanatos in that way.

I don't recall any humans on that show, but I bet you bed at least try to kill one of he ever saw one. A tiger can't get rid of his stripes and all that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only way I see live action Beauty and the Beast working is if it correctly identifies the witch who turned a kid into a beast man and all his house workers into objects as the true villain and burns her at the stake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chicken Run ain't having none of this Valentine's bullshit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Just wait for Zootwopia to cover the (apparently designed but unused) Outback District, I'm sure that won't make you cringe at all!

They didn't call it Splatwon, so it definitely won't be Zootwopia. Sorry. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm seeing it on Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. Please be Tuesday already.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Silver Snail posted:

Yeesh, I'd never seen Infinity in action before but that's way worse than I expected. Skylanders at least had a passable game to go along with their 15 dollar toys.

I haven't played it, but I hear that each Skylander is plays uniquely. None are reskins of others. Which is pretty crazy given the amount of Skylanders there are.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mycot posted:

I'm so confused; I thought Infinity was dead, so was this released post-humously?

This came out a few months before it died. The last set they released was some Looking Glass figures.

John Depp got three Disney Infinity figures.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm still miffed we never got some Disney Afternoon characters before Disney killed Infinity. Really wanted Darkwing Duck or Goliath or Don Carnage. The game is ooookay (my goddaughters love it) but the figures are rather nice.

I wanted a Scrooge McDuck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty alright with Disney not including the rape from their version of Sleeping Beauty.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

So there's been a couple more trailers for the Tangled series, as well as a Tangled series movie that's debuting the whole thing. I didn't realize that Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are reprising their roles for the show. Which I'm pretty shocked about, I figured they'd go for less expensive regular voice actors. I suppose the two of them don't really have much going on nowadays.

The animation still looks pretty nice for a TV show, the premise of her getting her hair back though seems pointless beyond being On Brand. There's been very little in the trailers that show that she needs to have long hair again

It reminds me of Genie being back to the status quo in the Aladdin TV series.

The Tangled series looks cute though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they get JTT to reprise his role as young Simba.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

A quick reminder of a film I bet most people don't even remember exists:

I knew this movie existed. I never saw it but I remember it being marketed at the time. What I didn't know was that it had like three sequels.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pick posted:

What??????????

OK, now I feel like a liar because I can't find any evidence of them on the internet, but I swear I saw movie posters of at least two more movies on a streaming service. I thought I'd never heard of them because they were UK exclusive or something.

Edit: I am thinking of Arthur and the Invisibles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Down Under is better for George C. Scott alone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Not sure if the thread covered this yet, but Sing's getting a loving sequel.

Yesterday I was talking to two of the mothers in my office about movies they went to with their kids over the summer. Apparently Sing was the most beloved, and both their kids can't stop singing "Oh my god. Look at her butt." I asked if they also saw Moana, and I got blank looks.

Illumination is the Trump of animation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who else associates The Land Before Time with Pizza Hut birthday parties?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm so glad the zombies craze has finally died and reushered the apes fad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Sometimes I wish video games would get the hint.

(About the zombies bit, that is. We already have Ape Escape and Donkey Kong for the ape fad, what more does one need?)

I'd be down for a retooling for The Last of Us 2.

Did that weird animated monkey movie where the mocapped lead who keeps his hand in his pocket the entire time ever come out? That looked so bizarre.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Ruh roh, won't the millions of internet in-jokes totally date the movie in 5-10 years? (Probably not as bad as the Emoji movie though)

Most definitely. But that didn't stop Trom from becoming a classic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In my quest to have a complete 3DS game collection, today I bought a launch era game, Heroes of Ruin. The previous owner was playing with a handsome lion man, and I thought Hedrigal might appreciate seeing him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I do appreciate that, thank you :3:

By complete collection do you mean... every game? That's got to be like... a thousand or more.

There's around ~400 retail 3DS games. Last time I checked, I was just under 50% of the way there. The original DS had like two thousand games, and there's a ton of shovelware garbage. No way I'm gonna attempt to complete that. Thankfully, by the time 3DS came out, a majority of shovelware migrated to smartphones. Doesn't make it any less embarrassing to buy the Bratz and anime titty witch games, but thankfully there's much less of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They went over every live action Batman movie. I love Mask of the Phantasm, but it being a theatrically released movie is almost a trivia question to the general public at this point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The modern Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be a conflict between traditional
2D animations and modern 3D CGI animations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

So apparently Wreck It Ralph 2 is titled "Ralph Breaks The Internet" and seems to revolve around smartphone games.

So the movie is gonna play for about five minutes before the audience is required to spend $$ on stamina orbs?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember becoming self aware just as Transformers and Crash Dummies were taken off shelves in their original runs and the eternal disappointment of never getting them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I love puns because they make people really angry instead of laugh

Puns are cool and good and I'll never understand why people scoff at how sophisticated the English language is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LoseHound posted:

I'm interested to see how these nostalgic revivals will play out. I can see Zim having a weird cult fanbase, but not Arnold.
It doesn't seem to have the vocal (and cringey*) fanbase of Invader Zim, but I'm sure you pick 90s kid off the street and ask them about Hey Arnold, they'll probably talk all rosey about it. It was way more relatable than most of the other shows around at the time, and had an edge you didn't see in similar shows like Doug. Holy crap Doug was a wimp.

*CelticPredator non-withstanding.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah. Dil would be the one with the drug addiction.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh drat. I always thought Jerry Stiller was Mr. Potato Head until now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: They sound nothing alike

This may be true, but it's also been a long time since I watched any of those movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Somehow this turned into general travel advice but thanks everyone :3

Here is a gift in return (which I stole from reddit):

:laugh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie is entirely baffling on all fronts. Isn't the Dahl estate super controlling over adaptations, pretty much entirely because he hated the original Willy Wonka so much? How did they allow an animated version of it that uses the original designs and even voice acting wholesale and incidentally Tom and Jerry is in it even get approved!?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason that it is so heavily reliant on the images/songs/being of the original movie is because they don't have the rights to the book. Like, specifically, this film is not Tom and Jerry meet Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it is Tom and Jerry meet Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, meaning they probably, legally, aren't allowed to lift or reinterpret heretofore unadapted parts of the original text, just this one specific version of it that they have in their library.
This makes sense, coming from the Warner "ghosts are real" Brothers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pick posted:

If you were a miserable kid, the last unicorn was one of the only films that seemed to knowledge your feelings.

I didn't see it until a couple of years ago, but it made me feel like a kid again. And not in the way someone usually means when they say that. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I kinda would like to get into Kingdom Hearts. If anything could make me enjoy a JRPG it would be the inclusion of Disney characters. However it seems like it's designed to be the most convoluted and impenetrable series ever. Who the gently caress came up with that numbering system?

I'd better play 1.5+ before 2.83 but only once I've played the first five-eighths of E.09 which is the prequel to dy/dx which is a remake of ¥.

You should play Persona 5. You get to play as a group of teens who go into an concurrent dimension as cat burglars (one of them, literally) and steal the hearts of bad people in order to make them confess their crimes.It's extremely anime.