Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, the moral of Trolls isn't "You should be happy because the world is basically a good place" but rather "The world is a cruel and terrifying place, there are many valid reasons for you to feel miserable, but having a good attitude can give you the strength to change things for the better." Poppy's positive worldview is only proven true because she makes it true.

On the reverse side, which I find interesting, Branch's rationale is also extremely well-grounded in his personal experiences, and he feels guilt over something he did in fact do. And at no point is his role in that event questioned or reversed. There's no Scar-whispering-in-his-ear-I-killed-Mufasa! Instead, the film suggests that it is really a shame that he caused an entirely preventable tragedy, but that in a world of senseless tragedies, you can choose to forgive yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My biggest beef with Trolls is actually that it tries to make the posse a "thing", and they just aren't. They just don't get enough screentime to develop any real personality, and that's fine because the film has other, far more interesting things it is doing with the characters it cares about. It is obvious that the filmmakers were required to fit in a certain number of named figures for the toy lines and they were just like okay fine whatever. Some of them show up in backgrounds and have like one line and you can almost feel the writers going "does this fulfill our contract requirements with hasbro or what?"

Do you see these characters?

Aside from Poppy, the film is ruthless in its transparent desire to get them offscreen. It basically used them to hand off a paycheck to people they liked for 1-2 lines of dialogue.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair I have a sort of instinctive loathing of every single one of those designs except Poppy so that is probably for the best.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Trolls is exactly as advertised

the movie peaks with Get Back Up Again but it's a good place to peak

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I have a sort of instinctive loathing of every single one of those designs except Poppy so that is probably for the best.

I am not joking when I say I do not recall the character on the far left appearing in the film, anywhere.

The glitter one appears to fart for a prolonged period at the end, but if you watch he's actually scraping his rear end off, and from that point you can see his rear end scrapes :stare:.

There are a lot of neat animation touches in this, and background art that shows that a lot of people on the team were having fun.

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 8, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

My biggest beef with Trolls is actually that it tries to make the posse a "thing", and they just aren't. They just don't get enough screentime to develop any real personality, and that's fine because the film has other, far more interesting things it is doing with the characters it cares about.

Yeah other than Poppy and Branch the Trolls are either borderline non-entities or just plain irritating. That giraffe troll thing is just, ugh, the worst thing.

Contrastly, The three main Bergens (Bridget, Prince Gristle, and Chef) are each uniquely interesting and entertaining. Also, I really like I really their designs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The entire film has an interesting aesthetic, but it is hilarious to me that every Bergen has a unique, telling design, even the background ones, and so much personality, and most of the trolls are like "whatever". You can tell that the artists got to do what they really love in the Bergen suburbs.

Yeah other than Poppy and Branch the Trolls are either borderline non-entities or just plain irritating.

The film seems to treat the Bergens as more relatable than most of the trolls, which they are. Poppy and Branch are both good characters, but the film seems to portray troll culture as more of a rhetorical point than anything. The other trolls might be happy like Poppy, but they don't seem to share her introspection at all. That said, it does show that Creek's is so superficial that as soon as it is challenged by adversity, it folds, so in that sense the troll culture is only valid in the presence of Poppy's level of self-awareness.

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, I love the creature designs, especially the spiders

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alright good, so it wasn't just me who thought the Bergens were way better designed than the Trolls. I have a weakness for monsters and ugly cute stuff so the Bergens were right up my alley aesthetically.

The Trolls (other than the main two), meanwhile, just weren't as cute. They look a little too generic and polished, which I think is because they're supposed to be more marketable but ironically makes them less appealing.

Edit:
And yeah, all the felt creatures were great.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alright good, so it wasn't just me who thought the Bergens were way better designed than the Trolls. I have a weakness for monsters and ugly cute stuff so the Bergens were right up my alley aesthetically.

The Trolls (other than the main two), meanwhile, just weren't as cute. They look a little too generic and polished, which I think is because they're supposed to be more marketable but ironically makes them less appealing.

I think it's a reflection of the restrictions that were placed on the studio. The Trolls have to be appealing, mass-market-able, non-threatening, and recognizable as belonging to that licensed property. Everything interesting going on in the film is almost... external to them?

The Bergens are the ones the audience is supposed to relate to, because the overall anti-consumerist message of the film is (in the context of the film) for them. And what Poppy and Branch disagree on is how to approach a world full of things that want to kill them, not really their take on troll culture in a vacuum. The film doesn't seem to care about disproving that the trolls are superficial and kind of insipid on the whole, only that Poppy specifically, though she might be mistaken as insipid, has a remarkably solid philosophical foundation for her take.

As for the annoying giraffe thing or the one who takes creepy photos of his worm, the film doesn't bother trying to convince you that they're anything but airheads.

P.S. I find it extremely funny that for a movie based on moving toys, the actual creators went for the message "psst... you don't actually need stuff."

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Trolls just looks like the most unappealing movie to me. From my impressions of the trailers I hate the music (leave Junior Senior alone :qq:), the characters, the design aesthetics, everything. The only reason I'm even considering watching it is because people in this thread liked it, but seriously, there is like nothing there for me.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

P.S. I find it extremely funny that for a movie based on moving toys, the actual creators went for the message "psst... you don't actually need stuff."

True, but it also contains the message "Stuff TOTALLY can make you happy though. Sure it's a happiness that's only temporary and ultimately unhealthy and destructive, but it's real happiness none the less."

The happiness that Bergens get when they eat a troll is never revealed to be a trick or a misconception. Trolls are just nature's ecstasy and the film is extremely sympathetic towards the miserable Bergens who want to eat them when they think there's no other way to be happy.

Pick posted:

As for the annoying giraffe thing or the one who takes creepy photos of his worm, the film doesn't bother trying to convince you that they're anything but airheads.

Well, not necessarily. The Trolls as a whole do have a slight amount of character growth when near the end they all turn grey just before they're about to be eaten. However, one song later they regain their colors and decide to instead stay positive right until the end even though death seems certain.

Edit:

Hedrigall posted:

Trolls just looks like the most unappealing movie to me. From my impressions of the trailers I hate the music (leave Junior Senior alone :qq:), the characters, the design aesthetics, everything. The only reason I'm even considering watching it is because people in this thread liked it, but seriously, there is like nothing there for me.

Just watch this clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0

If you enjoyed it you'll probably like other parts of the movie and should watch it, if not give it a miss because it's probably not your thing and that's okay.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The happiness that Bergens get when they eat a troll is never revealed to be a trick or a misconception. Trolls are just nature's ecstasy and the film is extremely sympathetic towards the miserable Bergens who want to eat them when they think there's no other way to be happy.

I thought this was actually the boldest thing the film did and I was shocked even at the end that this was never challenged. Because that's absolutely true in the film. Eating a troll will make you happy. It totally will. And they're not waiting around in your stomach or something else weenie, eating them god damned dead is a natural high and it is awesome and it is the real deal.

e: Also, very interesting detail, the bib seller is the first person to rip off his bib, even though that's the foundation of his livelihood.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Just watch this clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0

If you enjoyed it you'll probably like other parts of the movie and should watch it, if not give it a miss because it's probably not your thing and that's okay.

*slow shrug* Oh well.

So what does Dreamworks have coming up after Boss Baby and Captain Underpants?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Sinners Sandwich posted:

This was in Amazon Prime's video section and not familer with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4dkIMhXdIE

Anyone have any idea if it's good or not? Sister and I tend to find some great gems though services like this, Cat in Paris for instance but can't make heads or tails of this
I have heard very very good things about it. I will have to watch it now, knowing that it's available for streaming.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I promise you that members of the crew fought over who got to draw these

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are those recipes legible if you get a better quality screenshot?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are those recipes legible if you get a better quality screenshot?

Yeah when I get home I'll try to get one where you can see them.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wonder if trolls taste like citrus fruits.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Hedrigall posted:

*slow shrug* Oh well.

So what does Dreamworks have coming up after Boss Baby and Captain Underpants?

Edgar Wright is allegedly reworking Me And My Shadow, there's something coming out next year about Australian animals starring a bilby, we're getting new Shreks and Dragons, something about a Bigfoot I think, and apparently they haven't given up on B.O.O. or the India musical. So that's where we're at.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am 100% behind Edgar Wright doing anything animated, holy crap, give that man an unlimited budget!

Oh gently caress, Australian animals, that's going to cause a world of cringe :smith:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just wait for Zootwopia to cover the (apparently designed but unused) Outback District, I'm sure that won't make you cringe at all!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Just wait for Zootwopia to cover the (apparently designed but unused) Outback District, I'm sure that won't make you cringe at all!

In terms of stereotypes or "oh god why does that exist?"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love for them to take the Grand Budapest approach: Everyone has whatever accent for no real reason just roll with it, son.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Probably the former, since they presumably already justified its existence when they laid out the city in preparation for writing the film.

Also, for whatever reason, this is playing the entire time, despite nothing warranting it playing occurring.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In Australia we already got the koala newsreader in Zootop1a and it was super bad and I wanted the moose or whatever kool kat Brazil had

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
(The Brazilian cut is definitive because both newsreaders are cats, feline superiority, cats control the media, etc etc more jokes here)

Edit: oh oh oh you guys, "The Mewish Media"

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 9, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CRINDY posted:

Edgar Wright is allegedly reworking Me And My Shadow, there's something coming out next year about Australian animals starring a bilby, we're getting new Shreks and Dragons, something about a Bigfoot I think, and apparently they haven't given up on B.O.O. or the India musical. So that's where we're at.

The Australian animals thing is also a musical, I believe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shadow Hog posted:

Also, for whatever reason, this is playing the entire time, despite nothing warranting it playing occurring.

I can't believe you didn't link to Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe you didn't link to Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.
Perhaps I should've gone with "Pub with No Beer" or its sequel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

They didn't call it Splatwon, so it definitely won't be Zootwopia. Sorry. :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Zootopia 2: Urban Furvor

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's Spla2n to me, dammit

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Deuxtopia

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Zootopia 2: Further Down The Rabbit Hole

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Zootopia 2: Further Down The Rabbit Hole

God dammit, don't do that, hedry.

Don't play out your sick sexual fantasies here. :mad:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Zootopia 2: Elephant Boogaloo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

also because Zootwopia looks like a really old-timey racist name for Los Angeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lego is killin it as far as I'm concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSYYiATFTI

Also the song in the trailer really blind sided me. And then they made it work somehow