Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If they don't want to listen to the people who go to their college, maybe they'd like to listen to :siren: FAMOUS PERSON :siren: Leslie Jones to see exactly what kind of communication they're engaging in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In national news, Oregon senator Jeff Merkley got a staffer to admit that the Trump inauguration crowds were smaller than reported. This is a huge win for Democrats,

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/823959492320788480

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here's The Stranger with a hot take regarding the shooting: Both Sides Were Wrong

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

What the gently caress can they even do? The Republicans hold every branch of government right now by a majority, and most State governments. And Republicans are using legislative tricks to keep filibusters at bay - they learned that from 8 years of having the Democrats do that to them.

We may be a numerically larger group of people, but that doesn't mean poo poo in electoral elections or gerrymandered districts.

Hell, we had one of the most massive marches in history and literally nothing came out of it.
Get leftist candidates for every available Democrat seat up for election in 2018.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

He's one of the rabid pro-BDS jews who make anyone else who care to examine BDS, a bad name.

He sources a lot of stuff which is simply uncheckable because it's in native language, and he's a rabid conspiratorialist whenever he comes across a conflict which might show the state of Israel in a negative light. He will also lash out at you exactly like Donald Trump does, if he notices you mentioning him or his links in any online social space - like "you must be a paid shill for Mossad" kind of accusations simply from a random online social media post.

I followed his blog for a few months - maybe a year or three-ish back? He seemed to have a lot of "insider leak info" from within the israeli military, but eventually the lack of translatable sources and his virulent and very personal attacks on me whenever I happened to mention something he'd posted (when I had come into the picture thinking that I was on HIS side as an ally), yeah, just leave him alone. He's a virulent self-hating anti-semite conspiracist troll who lives on his wife's income. And It hurts me to even put it in writing but do the thing I did - read his articles as best you can, follow his works, and see his reaction to whomever he feels is not worthy of his admiration. He's a gross hateful old man who's a professional blogger - except for the whole "garnering an income" thing.

Maybe he's written some books, I am not interested in reading them because he's basically a tiny, Israel-hating trump who is himself jewish. It's complicated, at least.

edit: that said, "Tikkun Olam" (heal the world) is pretty much the "mni wiconi" or "mitakuye oyasin" of the jewish sphere, as far as I understand it. It's a great phrase but this lone angry crazy man has kind of camped on most of its internet domain.
I dunno, I'm loath to believe some rando blog that's going to name the shooter, but just because you rubbed someone the wrong way doesn't automatically mean they're a bad person.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Space Gopher posted:

Not really. The UW is a public institution, which means she has two options:
- Let Milo speak, with clear disclaimers that the event is put on by the College Republican club rather than endorsed by the university. Let him come up, do his pathetic meme-filled powerpoint deck, collect his money, and pray he leaves relatively quietly
- Tell Milo "no," and face a suspiciously well-funded First Amendment lawsuit which will bring him all kinds of publicity. Because the UW is a public institution, and he'll have good lawyers, he will almost certainly win, at which point he'll have a very public victory under his belt and incentive to be even nastier when he makes his legally protected speech

Also, it's worth noting that her brother was shot and killed by the Klan, while helping to lead a civil rights march. She is deeply, personally opposed to white supremacists like Milo. She has done good work on equity in higher education, and has been candid about the levers she can't pull, even as president of the institution, because of the nature of the institution. There are much more deserving targets of ire in this whole mess.

For instance:

Go back and flip through the captions on some of the photos. The Trump supporter was "beaten." A protester gets shot and he's "suffering from a gunshot wound" that, I guess, mysteriously happened during the protest for no discernible reason.
Whoever gave you that red text was doing the Lord's work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Space Gopher posted:

Oh boy, a weak burn on an even weaker title.

What should the UW have done?
For starters? Read the first five words of the first amendment.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Space Gopher posted:

Are you secretly Clarence Thomas?

Pretty much everybody else agrees that the First Amendment is incorporated against the states by the Fourteenth Amendment's due process clause. State governments are bound by the same First Amendment restrictions as the federal government. The Supreme Court has affirmed this specifically for state universities in Healy v. James and Papish v. Board of Curators. This is why every large public university has a regular contingent of bible-thumpers who yell at students in the middle of campus: they have a well-established legal right to speak at public institutions.

I'll admit, those cases by themselves would seem to give a decent justification to stop Milo from speaking at the university: he is explicitly there to gently caress with the ability of the institution to educate non-white/male students. "Speech rights can't directly interfere with education" is the one consistent out that SCOTUS has given schools for controlling on-campus speech. So, stopping his speech would raise novel issues, which would need to be settled by the courts.

Let's assume that the UW cleans up in every single lower court. Naturally, Milo will be backed by a tidal wave of libertarian money at this point, so he'll appeal all the way up to SCOTUS over the next couple of years. Which will, at that point, have a minimum 5-4 Republican majority with a Trump appointee and a guy who has fought for sexism and racism on his alma mater's campus. Even Thomas's views on the due process clause probably won't bail you out, considering his stances on affirmative action in higher ed.

By refusing Milo, you'd just set up an alley-oop on a landmark Supreme Court decision establishing the right of only-technically-not-nazis to harass people on college campuses. By the time he wins the court decision and comes back to speak, it'd be a national cause for all kinds of awful people. They'd burn the bricks in Red Square. And he'd still get to do his speech.
Does that "tidal wave of libertarian money" include the money he grifted from nazi/gamergate donators like you?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a list of Washington initiatives you don't want to sign petitions for, if you live in Washington: https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/Initiatives.aspx?y=2017&t=p

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Micah Rhodes was arrested https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/824402935836663808

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Are there five riot cops for every civilian there? What a stupidly over-the-top show of force. They really want to intimidate people.
Funny you should mention that.

http://koin.com/2017/01/25/protests-expected-throughout-portland-wednesday/ posted:

The group is angry about police response to Friday’s anti-Trump protests. Police said their actions were in response to protesters who threw “rocks, bottles, flares and unknown liquids,” at officers dressed in riot gear.

In response to the calls for his termination, Marshman said, “I’m not going to resign.”

The chief told KOIN 6 News he was “surprised” they called for his resignation. He’s been managing local protests for 26 years and said he always deploys the least amount of forces possible for protests.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Tim Eyman hasn't had an initiative qualify for the ballot since 2013. He hasn't had a ballot pass on a statewide level and not be ruled unconstitutional since 2005. I think most people see through his crap now.
Sure, but just in case. I don't know if they put Tim Eyman's name on those petitions up there. And there's a bathroom one in there from some woman who might get called a TERF at first glance, but couldn't pass as feminist if she tried

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I saw a really pretty girl po-po sitting in her car in a parking lot. I think she was just writing a report or something. I said "Hi, I know there's a lot of poo poo going on but I hope you have a good day." because it was a couple of days after the election.

That's my portland police story.
All Cops Are Bastards

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doesn't mean that I can't be nice to a fellow human being who is likely to have a really lovely time of it for awhile.
When a report comes out that protesters are violent aggressors who are carrying large, flag-like weapons, that's very bad. But the cops who are writing those reports? They are also very bad. Do not get it twisted.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Well, "flag-like weapons" was closer to the truth than what the noble, report-writing cop had to say:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah that's fair. On the flip side, being unkind to them makes them feel like the world is out to get them and that the only people who respect and understand them are the other cops around them.

The correct answer is for me to be black and/or disheveled and/or angry looking and incredibly nice.
A popular symbol in police iconography is "The Thin Blue Line". It is a blue horizontal line across a black field. The significance of this image is to show that cops are the only thing that separates the Good People from the Bad People. It makes no attempt at defining which side is Good or Bad; the only things it distinguishes are Cops and Not Cops.

A variant of this image is where the horizontal blue line takes up one of the white stripes in the US flag. The red and blue colors have been changed to black. White stars and stripes remain white. There is still a prominent distinction between Cops and Not Cops, but this time some of the Not Cops are also white. As the blue line takes up a white stripe, it reinforces the idea that Cops are white.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I know the symbolism well. I worked with a police force for about 6 months, in a rather large city. And I studied policing as my BS in college, and at the time most of the research ongoing into policing was around Community policing. So the divide between police/community was super well explored.

That's why I know that if the community just gives police a cold shoulder, they'll look to each other for support. It's what happened during the "Professional Policing" period in the 80s, and resulted in the police being separate from the communities they are supposed to serve. Because po-po see their job as super stressful and hideous and they think no one respects them (even though they're wrong).

If you press me for what the "right answer" is, it'd be "Bring back a focus on community policing" and "eliminate # of arrests as a metric" and "increase de-escalation training budgets and limit access to firearms while on duty".
The militarization of police is bad. The idea that police are not civilians is bad. Police showing up in huge numbers in riot gear to respond to a protest is bad. The lack of any meaningful kind of oversight is bad. For-profit privatized jails and prisons are bad. The whole dang system is out of order!!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A different UW, but no less relevant: http://www.channel3000.com/news/crime/uw-student-trying-to-start-alt-right-group-pled-guilty-to-arson-of-black-churches/294657140

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

George posted:

If you're convinced that you're talking to a "good cop" (and you wanting to gently caress her doesn't count, that's unconscionable) the only correct way to make them feel is "like doing something about the bad ones". We need help from them, and they knew the job of protecting us was dangerous even if they didn't anticipate it would mean from their coworkers.
*extremely liberal voice* Actually I watched the first two-thirds of Serpico and it was based on a true story and that means there are still good cops

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The only realistic portrayal of cops is in C.O.P.S..
Yeah, but the villains were so unrealistic. Like, Hillary Clinton can't lift a car.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Strategy recommendations?
:sever:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Being pro-slavery might be "bad", but what about all the good ______ did? http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35210414-75/deady-hall-name-stays-university-of-oregon-president-michael-schill-decides.html.csp

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Wrap it up, Eudailures https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/825109118025240582

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bkerensa/status/825877556586909696
https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/825873625332854784

:peanut:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I heard the cops started shooting people after Ted Wheeler left :waycool:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jack2142 posted:

Can we just pick one PNW thread to use?

Or is this a commentary on the deep divide between Seattle/Portland and everyone else?
It's actually a divide between the Pacific Northwest and Santago.

And for the record, as a Portland citizen, I love Seattle. People who are considering moving to the PNW should definitely live there. I can't recommend it enough.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Shoutout to Spokane https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/825918650657828864

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0INfyfJSek&hd=1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/portland_activist_accused_of_s.html

And charged with sexual abuse. Dont have sex with 17 year olds, folks, especially if you're in the public eye, but really, unless you're also 17, just don't at all.
god loving damnit

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
My friends, the long national nightmare of two separate-but-equal Pacific Northwest D&D threads is finally over.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Washington's suing over the travel ban https://apnews.com/ddb53cbedf694c8c94c2df7c9fa2ecdb/Washington-state-suing-Trump-over-immigration-order

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There was a truck with Washington plates circling a protest earlier today https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/826174860267184128
Apparently they were pointing "displaying" a fake gun but also had a real gun elsewhere in the truck https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=27896

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/826571433354555394

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

got any sevens posted:

Can they say classified stuff over skype?
I'm under the impression they can do whatever they want.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wouldn't it be more impactful to end no-cause evictions all together? Or are there legit reasons to keep it?
Democrats being democrats.

When Chloe Eudaly won a city council seat against the incumbent Steve Novick last year by campaigning on rent control, she found out the landlords and property owners might challenge something like that in court so she decided she'd try a more pragmatic piecemeal approach instead.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Jesse Sponberg is going to turn himself in for knocking out Grant Chisholm at the Portland airport last weekend http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/02/02/activist-and-former-mayoral-candidate-claims-he-knocked-out-trump-counter-protester-at-pdx/

If you're unfamiliar with Jesse Sponberg, he's kind of an infamous protester and he even ran for mayor last year

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/02/eight_candidates_stump_in_resu.html posted:

Asked for a way to improve City Hall, candidate Bim Ditson, a musician, said he would completely overhaul the Portland Development Commission.

"I'm somebody who doesn't have all the answers," he added. "I'm not ashamed to say that."

Asked about most anything, candidate Jessie Sponberg pushed the audiences' buttons – ignoring time limits, taking shots at Bailey, dropping curse words and sometimes joking with crowd members.

At one point, after being booed, Sponberg retorted on the topic of global warming: "Dude, I don't care. I'm trying to save this city. I'm trying to save this world."

Among other things, Sarah Iannarone, assistant director of First Stop Portland, said the city should better use data to analyze systemic problems. David Schor, an attorney, said the city needs to tax high-income earners to pay for affordable housing. And Sean Davis, a community college teacher with a folksy delivery, said leaders inside City Hall need to share the same priorities as residents.

"I thought I was running for mayor, not trying to play poker," Davis quipped about big-dollar financial contributions for the mayor's race.

Bailey largely stuck to talking points and highlighted his self-proclaimed grass-roots campaign, which has capped individual campaign contributions to $250.

"We are at a turning point," he said in a frequently recited line. "We need a mayor who will work for everybody."

Wheeler drew his largest applause of the night when he said Portland had misplaced priorities, suggesting more transportation progress could have been made in east Portland if the city spent less on central city streetcar projects.

Wheeler pointed to his work on an east Portland action plan from his time chairing Multnomah County from 2007 to 2010.

"If I'm elected, it comes off the shelf and I'm gonna act," Wheeler said.

anthonypants posted:

it's not like the crust punks will ever vote so he's clearly just doing it for kicks, which is somewhat admirable, but he seems less like a Vermin Supreme and more like the type of person that in a few years we'll learn he's been a sexual predator among groups like occupy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lazy_Liberal posted:

what's his deal? besides trying to grow a cult following obvi
Do you know any anarchists who are just mad all of the time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tenchi Muyo gets me wet posted:

For those that are civic-minded, Ron Wyden & Greg Walden are holding town meetings during the next couple days (Walden's is a call-in town meeting on Monday). Letter writing is nice and calling in is good because calls are tallied, but town halls are great because the direct connection representatives can have with their constituents can lead to faster & more direct action. It's what helped the Tea Party become a thing.
If they ask you to provide your questions beforehand, say you're going to ask a simple question about boring bullshit nobody cares about, like the television show Veep, and then instead ask about a complicated subject instead that appeals to everybody, like capitalism.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 3, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEK8FCBMkMQ&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I have no idea why they took it down but it was the livestream of State of Washington v. Trump http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_video.php?pk_vid=0000010884

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOFowWqFGU