Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

I’m fully aware of what’s going on out there right now. The reason for the comparison is once Donald’s sent packing (fingers crossed, Inshallah), the assholes who have gone full megaphone instead of just dog whistling will more than likely gently caress off to whatever caves they emerged from. Sure, there’s a chance they may stick around and do some ad-hoc violence for their big, strong, powerful Daddy Trump, but to imply there’s going to be a civil war if Joe Biden gets elected is on another level.

I'd like to apologize for the coma comment, since it looks like the real missing piece you have for the last two posts is that there is a "Lame Duck" period for presidents after an election that goes all the way to January of the next year.

This means that no matter what occurs in the next week, the fash running over people at vigils for the extrajudicially murdered are still going to be just as able to operate as they were before in a state with a blue-team governors. While it may get you called mentally ill by some decorum weirdos, this political violence is something people need to organize against with a plan better than "wear a suit & tie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

I'm totally cool with forming militias as long as they aren't engaged in violence. In the event of Trump losing the election and refusing to leave office, if the military did not remove him forcibly, we would already be in a civil war at that point and my objections to political violence would be mooted. I would be joining said militia at that point if I didn't have a way out of the country.

The person leaving the restaurant doesn't get to order for the table. You've backpedaled to advocating for nothing but looking for the exit: this is fine, you do you. But the people who aren't bailing on the region have a good reason to organize.

No matter what happens, the next three months is going to involve fash out on the streets committing political violence and the extrajudicial murder of our fellows, as seen over the last week. To be glib, there will be loving Around. I, personally, do not think anyone will stop loving Around until it is made clear that they will Find Out.

And holy poo poo do not start militia card-checking people on a public forum lol

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In Denver, a fash streetfighter got airholed by a Pinkerton security guard; whether that was self defense or chud-hunting is an academic distinction to be decided by the people who stick around.

I would have liked to be able to use the similar Portland case for the closeness for the region. But wouldn't you know, it looks like there was one of those extrajudicial murders, just a little political violence that has become a constant in the region.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

I have more faith 8n the political process, and if we have the house, the Senate, and the presidency I doubt they are going to want to just sit around and allow domestic terrorists to murder people all day long. I also don't think the FBI would identify white supremacists as the #1 domestic threat if they didn't care at all about them.

In any event what I am arguing against is vigilantism and retributive violence. If you think the system is going to remain so broken that it just won't function then I guess I can see why you would think that's OK, but that type of thing doesn't ever improve things; it just makes everything worse.

We have three whole months of the current state of political violence before this fantasy of Good Feds could even occur. You'll be long gone by then, so your scolding about how Pro-Informant you are against anyone outside of your decorum weirdo bounds doesn't matter.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

You're a disingenuous little shithead. I would agree with drat near anything else you want to do besides engaging in preemptive or retributive violence. Use the loving legal process. Arm yourselves for protection. Educate people about risks. Lobby elected leaders. The only thing I'm objecting to is this notion that it's justified to engage in vigilantism.

Your problem seems to be that you can't get along with anyone who doesn't screech loudly enough about how they are totally gonna murder them some nazis.

The only people who feel safer making a cannonball run for the border over being organized within their communities are the people who actively despise their communities and are just waiting for the moment to "use the legal process" to snitch on them to the Good Feds.

Your personal distinction between acceptable and unacceptible self defense against the political violence and extrajudicial murder currently occurring and a feature of our lives for the next three months will never ever matter, because you have made it clear that you are bailing on the country and will never serve on any jury after the fact.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

^^^ :hmmyes: ^^^

Mischievous Mink posted:

Huge relief to see Culp fail, out rural where I live there were hordes of Culp signs. Of course there would be, but still, just a relief.

The PNW has had vote-by-mail for longer, which means we've already turned out all the quiet cranks and created a turnout habit much higher than the country at-large.

Source: We're already at 77.4% return rate with two weeks of mail ballots to come.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

e: I like to think a presidential year when you don't have Mr. Shoot em in the legs at the top of the ballot would be a good thing.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 5, 2020

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Washington turnout hit 84.0% last night, breaking the 80% ceiling. That is silly-high even for "good" democracies.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Back a bit the LA contract tracers said up to 1/6th of all infections were from dining in, Inslee needs to tell them all to shut that poo poo down.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In local elections news, all of the King County charters look to be passing at between 85% to 55%*. This is an unmitigated good thing.

*as I type this I'm wondering if we have thay weird threshold for passing. something to look up.

e: no threshold, the gently caress The Sherrifs amendments definitely passing, lots of wailing articles everywhere.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 9, 2020

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

gohuskies posted:

The city council is working on next year's budget right now and Mosqueda is chair of the budget committee so there's almost no way she declares in the next several weeks, she is already mega busy right now. But if I was her I'd want to declare as early as possible next year. Get on the record as a frontrunner candidate and maybe fewer other challengers from the left declare themselves. You don't want to wait until there are a dozen people already in the race.

Unless one of those dozen is a legitimate heavy-hitter or Teargas Jenny gets a Biden Admin lifeboat, she will be the frontrunner the minute she declares. Her eyes have been laser-focused on the Mayor chair for years.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yes, but our only other contribution to national political discussion was the WTO protest 20 years ago. We were barely acknowledged for our part in OWS.

When I think of what a washington state having a strong presence in national political discussion would look like, I think of something like how msnbc has been constantly sucking Cuomo's dick throughout the covid pandemic just because he stood up to president cheeto. Could you ever imagine a theoretical Governor Sawant getting that kind of attention? Hell, imagine Inslee getting that kind of attention.

It probably doesn't matter though. If we can do more lefty stuff in our state, I think we'll be fine without national recognition.

Passing the $15 minimum wage got a lot of stories where "Seattle is going to Detroit itself".

Washington state has around half the population of NY and Florida and Pennsylvania. We're the size of Arizona, Tennesseee, Indiana and Mass and are discussed equivalently.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kirios posted:

I think it's important for us to realize that policies that are considered center-left or even centrist here are viewed as extremely left in basically the rest of the country.

Extremely left when we pass them but then center-left to centrist within a presidential cycle or two*

*except for our loving tax code

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Schwack posted:

It's weird how much the red parts of Oregon hate Kate Brown. Her reponse to COVID has been tepid at best, but lots of folks hate her with a fiery passion. Oregon hasn't gone nearly far enough. So far, it seems like we've escaped the worst case scenarios through sheer luck.

I would hold onto our butts until we are in past the weeks of sub-60 temps before saying we missed anything, personally. The AC belt got wrecked during the summer because they didn't lock down and couldn't hang around outside in parks.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

seiferguy posted:

Didn't Oregon have an advisory vote on having central / eastern Oregon seceding to Idaho? That got reported in our news.

Got denied in court after they blew up on the runway:

quote:

PORTLAND, ORE. (AP) — A federal judge has denied a petition to bypass state-required signatures to qualify as a ballot measure its proposal for 17 counties to divorce from Oregon and become part of Idaho.

U.S. District Judge Michael J. McShane ruled Monday that the group Move Oregon's Border was not “reasonably diligent” in attempting to collect signatures, even amid the unusual limitations due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Oregonian reported the judge found that Move Oregon’s Border provided scant evidence of a conscientious effort to obtain signatures thus far.

The plaintiffs only held one rally, in Roseburg on March 7, collecting 389 signatures. The group also pointed to the approximately 9,195 members on its Facebook group, the judge noted.

The state mandates petitioners obtain a minimum number of signatures in order to qualify for the ballot. But Move Oregon’s Border had argued COVID-19 restrictions had made the usual methods of signature gathering impossible.

“Holding one rally, collecting less than 400 signatures, and hosting a Facebook page does not constitute reasonable diligence when compared with other initiative proponents,” the judge ruled.

McShane said he doesn’t believe the federal courts should rewrite state election rules, particularly on the eve of an election.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kaal posted:

Four rural counties voted on it and two of them barely passed a measure that asks county officials to hold a meeting on the idea. The counties in question have a total population of about 50,000 people, of which only 13,000 supported the idea of even holding meetings about it and neither county is contiguous with Idaho.

oof

Are the cranks going to go for another state-wide election or will they just keep looking for local county weirdos?

e: also has anyone asked Idaho if they wanted them?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

gohuskies posted:

I bet Jay and Trudi will say that they aren't having any family over for Thanksgiving and you should please do the same. But yeah they need to do some actual closures ASAP. I have to imagine those are coming eventually but it can't be soon enough.

I don't think he has the stones to begin with a lockdown, so it really depends on what Number he gives as his sign before he shuts it down Sunday / Monday.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

I read an article a while back about how an analysis of contact tracing in San Diego found that indoor dining by itself was responsible for just under 20% of all COVID infections with a confirmed index patient, but can't locate it now.

Here you go:

quote:

Los Angeles County health officials continued to say yesterday that sit-down restaurant and bar experiences are a contributing factor in the spread of the coronavirus. County public health director Dr. Barbara Ferrer said in a press conference yesterday that LA County has “seen somewhere between 10 and 15 percent of cases being connected to a dining experience.” 

I'm fine with people doing haircuts or whatever as long as we shut down all dining in for three months.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

gohuskies posted:

Inslee's office confirms no new restrictions will be announced tonight, just continuing to ask people to please cancel their holiday plans, but actual restrictions could be put in place possibly as soon as next Monday

https://twitter.com/gramsofgnats/status/1326983575560835072

This slow-rolling is probably what is needed to get maybe an extra chunk of folks on board but it is really disappointing that this wasn't started earlier.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Guess what's back on the menu now that the chair-stealing fraud got booted by the WA courts again:

https://mobile.twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1328002783979646983

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The bridge isn't just for going downtown. The closest it can get you is south of it or north of it.

You know what it also provides?

A direct way to get to Beacon Hill.
Access to I-5 nb/sb
Access to SoDo/Georgetown

E: took out unnecessary inflammatory words

I'd first like to add that the next most-northerly crossing of the Duwamish- the 1st Avenue South bridge- is currently being emergency repaired that would also be a place to spend the bridge repair money from car tabs.

Second, the current contractor selected to do the WSB repair is also the ones who are parking their cranes in the area to do the Light Rail crossing so I would not be surprised if there was an effort to combine those two projects somehow.

Also. Georgetown has the OG Katsu Burger so like way more people go to it than you'd think.

Also Also the 4th Ave Costco.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

Major cities don't need to legally mandate that 75% of their land area be zoned for single family homes and cluster that in specific districts that rise as high as 90%, then publicly subsidize that unsustainable development pattern with ever-more expensive and demand-inducing commute options.

Healthy zoning is going to mean more people crossing the Duwamish, not less.

I'm all for a road diet, maybe combining the bridge with Light Rail, but I'm gonna plant my flag on "having literally anything rather than let it fall into the sea" hill.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what's the thread consensus on the magnolia bridge tho

They keep demanding more studies for a new mega bridge to replace the southern train crossing* when, like, no one would use it because there isn't a ferry terminal. I'm waiting for whatever happens to the Ballard bridge to be figured out before worrying about it.

*there is a northern one too

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

okay how about this hear me out —— the west seattle *tunnel*

The current SDOT contractor is doing a cost-benefit analysis (think Chinese menu) that includes a possible tunnel but has little tunnel experience themselves and are also doing the same sort of study for the Sound Transit light rail, so I would think it is unlikely unless the seismic & soil says that the next bridge you build is going to crack in the same way as the current one.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Voice of Labor posted:

you know their just getting riled up to drive down here and abuse our lack of sales tax. like soccer hooligans after a match

*Vancouver-ishly* that sure is a functional tax system you got there. Would be a shame if someone... arbitraged it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

marxismftw posted:

A newer, bigger bridge in Southpark? Perhaps a new highway running right up 14th?

I really don't think plowing a highway through the only great place to find tamales is the equitable solution you think it is.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

In case oregon goons were wondering, she picked the worst option for the bridge: to pay a fuckload of money for a short term bandaid on the hope she kicks the can fast enough that she can still get re-elected.

Work on the repair will have just about started by the time Teargas Jenny will be up for election. Oh, and the budget and length of time gained before obsolescence seems wildly optimistic but you won't hear any counter-reporting from the local white news reporters.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Crumbskull posted:

Yeah, its kind of insane how important that little waterway is.

We're building a whole drat toll road to connect Port of Seattle to I-5 without ever crossing a bridge / only crossing the 1st Ave S bridge. If there wasn't a Port there wouldn't be a city, full stop.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m agnostic on the long term plans and there is a compelling argument for transit rather than commuter roads . I’d always prefer more public transport to roadways. But short term they have to keep the thing from falling down. And all reasonable options going forward start there.

Do you think expeditious demolition would have been a reasonable option?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

marxismftw posted:

The interesting conversation is actually whether the city should replace the Magnolia bridge (which is in a similar, but not as drastic a state of disrepair, and will likely need replacement within the next decade), which will also likely carry a steep price tag; serves far fewer people (both car drivers and transit riders); connects an even whiter, more affluent area, the closure of which has a much smaller disparate effects on other neighborhoods and isn't a vital corridor for emergency services.

Yeah I'm going to add that even as a pro-infrastructure person in general, WSB is where the interest is & Magnolia is a laughable joke until the Ballard Bridge gets replaced.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It was not presented as an option in what I saw.

I’d also expect cost creep in anything done.

If you define reasonable as what the CoS tells you is possible, you'll do whatever sucker job the CoS leadership gives you so that they can get donor money from rich white homeowners with a water view.

Be, like, a little wiser as to what a reasonable option is.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You are upset about the part I’m agnostic about and there is a miscommunication occurring here. My opinion is that all options requires stabilizing the current bridge first. I don’t really have strong opinions about what happens after that. My strong opinion is that I do not want the bridge to fall catastrophically. if they get rid of it long term fine. If they replace it with transit fine. If they replace with an equivalent bridge fine. I don’t have strong opinion about that part. I do have a general preference towards more mass transit.

Generally speaking it’s best to worry about preventing a potential historical catastrophe first. When they talk about shoring in articles about the bridge, that word has failure implied. shoring is a thing that is done to prevent imminent failure. You shore something up because if you don’t whatever you are shoring up ( one shores up and if it’s down it’s tomming down) is going to fail.

Even if it were to be torn down, what’s happening now has to happen. That bridge is 220,000 tons. What do you think exponential growth in crack propagation means? That’s engineer for poo poo ya pants time.

I’m comfortable nakedly asserting it has to be stabilized first no matter what happens next.

All the reports are that the Post-Tensioning is holding, so they can attempt a demo without having to do some OSHA thread poo poo.

But leaving a big-rear end ramp on the two sides between the Marginal skate park and the Fire Department on Delridge is at least feasible; I recall walking through the standing AWV section to the ferry before they installed the new deck.

I believe that the political reality was that the current mayor did not want to have a giant loving scar of failure hanging around during election time, and so framed the response such that the only options were immediate and happy-making, in spite of a reasonable ask being demo-until-replacement and lacing it with the Light Rail.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I don't think anyone is posting as an expert in large-scale civil engineering demolitions unless they actually say that specific expertise.

WSB is stable enough (as long as the post-tensioning holds) to repair but has a life-time of 15 years or more: do you think at the end of its lifecycle the answer will be to hope that alien flying saucer technology will be available to take it out? Demolition is 100% feasible because the minute you need to replace the drat thing you'd have to have a feasible method to dismantle it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah eating out here is way more expensive than the rest of the country. But I’m okay with many of the reasons for that and the rest can’t really be changed.

Personally, the captive audience for eating out of worker-bees stuck in shared-kitchen apodments because of the hole in regulations is something I am neither okay with and should be fixed sooner than later.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I agree rent is driving the current increases. But I think the biggest part of the relatives regional difference between the PNW and other parts of the country say if we compared Seattle, WA to Savannah, GA is logistics. My families grocery costs about doubled when we moved. It’s not as bad as Alaska, but it’s a similar logistical increase in price points. I think it’s going to get worse too, the container lines carteled up and jointly reduced capacity and increased prices in response to the drop in demand for ocean container freight that resulted from Coronavirus. I don’t think they’ll go back to slitting each other’s throats again for quite a while now that they’ve had a taste of actually being profitable.

Enh, the material conditions that allow cartel behavior currently is because any one actor going full race-to-the-bottom is more likely to receive immediate karmic pandemic punishment for being the rear end in a top hat. Everyone being in the same need for safety means everyone has an in-road to cooperation; the minute that subsides I expect capitalists to adhere to the rules of the market rather than rules of infection.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Watch this rear end in a top hat try to argue self defense. We’ve had a couple murders in Portland where business owners picked fights and then shot and killed people in ‘self defense’ and the general community sentiment is definitely on the side of the murderer

I always find it amazing how the liberal ideal of 'you have absolute authority to defend your freedom on your plot of land' results in americans deciding that the land they possess will slip-slide snake-like underneath where someone they hate is standing.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Peachfart posted:

This ideal is far more of a conservative one than a liberal one.

I am interested in hearing why you you think that, especially as I am using Liberal in the political movement sense instead of the "what Rush dittoheads call things they don't like" sense.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

I interpreted Gerund’s use of liberal as broadening the usage of stand your ground laws, not as in the political ideology (liberals vs conservatives).

After reading this, I think I’m still tracking that right. Maybe?

You have the jist, Liberalism is a ideology & movement that aligns imperfectly within the american blue-team / red-team dynamic, but one that holds many broad concepts that form a consensus option for the majority of americans. Stand Your Ground is a Liberal stance, but its application in america is often bigoted.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I think this whole conversation shows that even smart people can be caught in the semantic weeds when homonyms are involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Full corncob.

I hope she gets frozen out of whatever parachute appointment she is looking for and has to run to the Californian AG spot.