Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Meydey posted:

I'm fine with making the border along the Cascades. Maybe all the way to Ellensburg so we get Leavenworth, but leave out Yakima.
Cascadia can look like the northern version of Chile.

You got something against Native Americans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

You make minorities stop feeling "unwelcome " by literally being both welcoming and willing to set yourself below them in terms of personal experiences. When you meet a 27 year old black woman working at Dari Mart who says she has been pulled over 35 times since she could drive.. you ask "why?" Instead of deciding internally that she must be a terrible, terrible driver.

You make minorities stop feeling "unwelcome" by moving Into their comfort zone, accepting their outlook as valid, and then asking for more info if you're not impinging.

I grew up in OR in the 90s and frankly the era does make a difference. It used to be that any professional party was full of racists, while today it's more contained to golf courses and high end business luncheons.

Since she could drive? Assuming that was when she was 16 that sounds like social progress. I had an acqaintance in the late 90s in Milwaukie who was pulled 23 times in one year (early 20s, lighter complexion, natural hairstyle not cropped close). He lived in a rented room in a house with an old, white, conservative (but not particularly racist) couple who have never been the type of people that would ever accuse the police of doing something wrong. They shrugged and said "It could only be racism."

There has actually been a lot of progress since that time, but holy poo poo do we have a long way to go.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

Also Oregon does seem to have more racists than Washington.

Unless you count racism towards Native Americans, in which case there are more racists in Washington just by dint of there being more people there.

As far as segregation goes, Oregon did not allow free blacks to enter the state for a very long time and was just getting around to removing sundown laws and other discriminatory but legally unenforceable laws in the early oughts. At that time and there was actually debate a bout whether we ahould do so.

There was no need for laws to segregate things later on; after we barred black people from coming here and made poo poo miserable for them if they did for a few decades, we didn't have a very large black population to begin with and entrenched structures and redlining did the work for us.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 4, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not concern trolling, and I'm not interested in stopping the current conversation either. Just because I decided not to have another three paragraphs qualifying my whole belief structure, the existence of cis/white/male privilege and so on doesn't mean I don't understand or acknowledge it. I'm not trying to shut anything down, I'm trying to be more inclusive. Maybe it wasn't worded well, but the racial conflicts we have in the PNW are much more complex than many are willing to acknowledge.

The fact is that I don't have a great deal to say I the issue specifically because it's never discussed. I can't think of a single time Asian/Pacific Islander issues were mentioned in the last thread. If that's simply personal ignorance then so be it but I think that's better than pretending it doesn't exist at all.

How about you don't bitch about it until you can say something about it then?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Voodoo was great a decade ago when they were just a donut shop downtown that was open at 3 when you finished drinking with no or little line that sold gimmicky donuts for a lot less than they do now. It helps if you are drunk and they are the only place within walking distance for a donut and you don't have to wait, is all I am saying. Once they became midwestern tourist destination#1 and jacked up the prices it was no longer worth going there. I still don't understand why people want to go there but invariably when one of my wife's friends from Canada or New Zealand comes into town they want to go to Voodoo. And every time while you wait in line someone will come out of there telling you it isn't worth it, and you will wish you had listened to them. Blue star is a way better donut and for cheap donuts go to heavenly as stated by others.

Wiggly-

They probably are letting you know how "tolerant" they are because their only experience of southerners is movies about the civil war, so they want to let you know that you better be careful, because we know that as a southerner you are a racist homophobe and you need to understand our tolerant culture in order to get along here. I wish this was a joke.

Eimi-

Portland is probably more accepting of transgendered people than any other place, except maybe San Francisco. Which is not to say we are very accepting, just that most places suck about it more. We used to say that it was the struggle for GLBT rights, in that order.

The DMV will not currently allow a "non binary gender" option on the Driver license, for instance, though they HAVE approached lawmakers to look at changing Oregon law around gender on driver licences after one person was declared legally non-binary gendered by an Oregon judge. It is probably going to take years, and is complicated by federal rules about legal documents for air travel.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Interesting bit on historical racism towards Asians in Oregon:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1765664480420957/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Lazy_Liberal posted:

We got lots and lots of trans folks here and there are a lot of neighborhoods where people don't even publicly give a poo poo. PM me and I can probably hook you up.

Yeah it occurs to me that at the operations center I used to work at I worked with one transwoman and knee of at least two others in the building and all three seemes to be treated normally both by management and (mostly) coworkers as far as I could tell.y industry tends to be stodgy and conservative. I mean it is sad that "being treated like a normal human" is notable, but that is our world. I think if anything Portland just has the critical mass necessary for LGBT rights to make advances not possible in some other places.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Wiggy Marie posted:

If I ever go back I'll check them out. The only reason I went to Voodoo is because I asked friends here for recommendations for Portland activities/spots since I'd never been, and Voodoo was one of the recommendations. I was hoping for super unique spots. I got Voodoo and "there's a cool pedestrian bridge!!!" It should've been a sign.

I hadn't considered this. I thought they might be telling me that because of my slightly brown skin tone in some weird attempt to reassure me, since clearly I'd come from Tennessee to escape the roving racists. Really, I'm glad they educated me on how really tolerant they are. If they hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

A fun tumblr I found during my "what the hell is wrong with this city" research: poo poo White People say to Black& Brown People in Portland

Ah. Yes you are probably right that they are re-assuring you that they themselves and Portlanders are not racist, unlike any other white people you may have met in the south, since ALL of them are racist but WE are not. I have not witnessed this with telling a peson of another race that we are so tolerant, but I have seen that t happen with gay people before so I am not surprised. It is important that they tell you this instead of just treating you with respect and letting you figure it out I guess.

I am sorry that Portland treated you badly. I hope your experience is not repeated if you come back. If you do come back I would be willing to help direct you to some better poo poo to do, depending on your interests.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

George posted:

I'm sure everyone here who donated to Josh Dukes's medical crowd funding did so either anonymously or pseudonymously, but you should know that Milo's swarm is doxxing people whose names are on the donor list.

What does this even mean? Should I be afraid someone will find out if I donate money to someone's medical expenses? What possible harm could xome from that?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Right, so we already know that both the university and the police believe that attempted murder against antifa is justified, so when people try to doxx more antifa or antifa-adjacent people in order to threaten them, that's probably kind of bad a little maybe?

Also I was originally responding to this post

And how many of them even have the balls to shoot an unarmed man? One so far. I mean you can worry about it but it ain't likely someone is going to track you down and murder you over a donation.

Do the police already consider this a closed matter or are they just silent on the shooting?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

If you "disrupt" any public city meeting in Portland you may get kicked out of future meetings for a few months: http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/03/02/18874290/disrupt-a-city-meeting-you-might-soon-face-a-months-long-exclusion

If that sounds familiar to you, it may be because someone sued the city against this practice a few years ago: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/12/federal_judge_finds_portland_m.html

Welcome to Oregon, where when your elected officials are found by thw courts to be in violation of the law, they will just try to do the same thing over again and hope nobody notices. See also: PERS system reforms.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Here's a wild idea: let anybody use PERS

If they did it right it could absolutely work, and if they did it wrong it would gently caress it up way worse. At the very least that kind of cash infusion could really shore things up in the near to medium term.

The problem is how shortsighted the state legislature tends to be when it comes to kicking the can down the road. I do not trust them to not gear it such that they get maximum contributions now and not plan for the eventuality that those people will need their benefits some day. With the current system, you have thousands of public employees who accepted lower wages over the years as part of their union negotiations (or for that matter as managers as well) in exchange for better retirement benefits. Some of these people were earning 2/3rds what their private sector counterparts were making, with the understanding that they would have a good retirement and stability in their employment. The legislature has tried to cut already promised benefits 2 or three times already, been slapped down by the courts each time, and are taking another run at it. And then you have a bunch of republican shitheads complaining about "why should we give a pension to these people when nobody in the private sector gets them anymore?" Well, people in the private sector rarely work for 2/3rds of their fair market value.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DevNull posted:

I didn't go though a bunch of poo poo, but we make sure that the person is a good fit for the organization. We want people to understand that we aren't just looking to influence the Democrats, and we don't support capitalism in any form. I don't think we are doing major purity tests though. Part of the bigger issue is getting people that will be active. We aren't looking for members that just pay a yearly membership fee and voting for someone we support.

This is pretty much how it went for me. Having cadres organizing in places like Centralia would be great, but that takes a group of full time people willing to move around. We don't have that yet.

Why would you not want members at whatever activity level they can maintain? Especially ones that pay dues and vote for your candidates? Political movements require passive support as well in order to survive.

therobit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 13, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

xrunner posted:

Portland City Council meetings too unsafe to attend, Nick Fish tells staff

I for one am committed to ensuring that the people who run local government feel protected from public feedback.

What shitbirds. Maybe you should attempt to be responsive to the public's concerns if you do not like to be called names or to recieve negative feedback. Classic dysfunctional Oregon politics.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I honestly think that a real and effective solution would be large public affordable housing projects but that is unlikely to happen in Portland. The government would need to outbbuild demand too which is hard to do in a city this size with a net in-migration of 44k people a year.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Last stat I heard for Seattle was 2,000 new residents arriving every week.

That can't be net.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

Won't lie, I've fantasized about doing this pretty much every time I see those garish things.

E: YESSSSSS

The people that did this are assholes and if you support them you are also an rear end in a top hat. I really don't ever care what broader point the may have been trying ro make because they are destroying a public facility that is designed for livability and environmental benefit because they apparently don't like that a corporation was involved in paying for it. If you object to bikeshares paid for by corporations then start your own without any corporate money. If you just object to bikeshares then go gently caress yourself.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Ted is in so far over his head that he can't see sunlight.

Do you mean his head is so far up his rear end he can't see sunlight? Because that is what I think it is.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

I know plenty of machinists and welders, none of them are doing OT for years at a time. Certainly work comes in waves in those fields, but they don't consistently have a single person doing the job of two, that is why they hire apprentices ALL THE TIME.

I'm not really sure how you're coming to the conclusion that hiring hourly employees is administratively expensive... but maybe you haven't run a business before?

Really, because every machinist and welder I know has worked mandatory OT for months at a go. Things slow down sometimes but never for long. Typically it is mandatory 10s with a half day on Saturday or Sunday but an invitation to work more, and sometimes the half days become full days. Regardless trying to tax ot differently (higher or lower) would be a logistical nightmare prone to abuse and would make people hate our tax system and government even more. Taxing income above a certain level at a higher rate (ie what we have now in most places with state income tax) makes a lot more sense and is way easier.

But I get the sense that a lot of people hate blue collar workers that manage white collar incomes for some reason. Why try and screw with the OT that pays for thier vacations, boats, and college for thier kids just because you wouldn't want to work as many hours? That is what takes them from getting by to thriving financially. Percieved liberal antipathy towards working class people is what lost the election for the dems.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

That's pretty awesome. I guess we'll see if the city abides by the ruling or finds a way around it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Whats the state of credit unions in Oregon?

Where in Oregon?

OnPoint is huge and all over the state but hired a bunch of former B of A managers who were making it more like their alma matter every day last I checked.

Rouge FCU is decent in the Rouge Valley, or at least was ten years ago when I left there.

What sort of features are you looking for in a banking relationship? Will you also keep some accounts with a bank to access features not present at your CU ?

What line of work are you in, and also if you have a spouse or SO qith whom you share finances what line of work are they in? A lot of CUs are select employment group (SEG) based.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

The major of Seattle is doubling down on that soda tax by also taxing diet sodas http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-wants-to-add-diet-drinks-to-soda-tax-proposal/

Aspartame includes toxins that cause autism. And cancer if you are exposed to wifi.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I agree, it'll be a much bigger deal once we find out which city services will be getting cut in order to provide security theater for our pearl-clutching politicians.

I think "bitchmade" is a more appropriate adjective in this case. Would also accept wussy, whimpy, or chickenshit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

I want police to not be so morally bankrupt that the only thing keeping them doing good is their paycheck.

Isn't that the only thing keeping ANYONE from being on the take or otherwise compromising their position in order to benefit monetarily?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

James Garfield posted:

I wonder if the people who think police should be paid badly because you shouldn't just want to be a cop "because it paid better than managing the local Denny's," also think teachers should be paid badly so that nobody goes into teaching just for the money.

Those who can't do, beat minorities with a nightstick for trying to do. In other words welcome to Milwaukie, Oregon.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

People were talking about the pay of police force as if the thing that makes them good cops or bad cops is being bribed enough. That's a perspective completely blind the structural role their abuses play.

I think that was a response to people complaining that police get paid better than fsdt food workers, and nobody was saying is it the only factor. Please visit a country where police and government workers are underpaid and tell me it doesn't have an effect on corruption.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nice troll.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I'm phoneposting so no link but did any of you read the WW article about how noted corporate shill Kate Brown wants to sell off state agencies and assets to pay for the pension fund deficit?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I'm not.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty familiar with Cahoots in Eugene, but you can't really call non-police services when someone burglarizes you. And since it seems obvious in this case that the police were at the very least familiar with her specifically (even if it was as a "hilarious anecdote about the wolf-lady",) they obviously were not taking her nearly as seriously as a citizen in need of assistance, as much as a potential threat.

I have some small personal experience on both sides of interacting with the cops in a scenario like that and basically, you are going to be treated like a doormat if you try to warn them, try to assist them, or basically do anything which they perceive as a threat to their over-riding authority in any and all interactions. Even if they don't perceive you as a threat, I can personally attest to the fact that they really do not give one or two shits about a citizen who's been burglarized - they will take your name and info and rattle off some bullshit about how you ought to contact them if you get any leads - and then they literally do not follow up when you call them and give them a tip if, say, your XBox was stolen and you're pretty sure you can help locate it as soon as it comes online again..

But hey, I did have three cop cars arrive on-scene at 9am, despite two of the cars and officers just sitting on the curb and bullshitting with the other officer outside of my hearing range (for the better part of an hour, during morning rush hour traffic - couldn't they have been more effective out catching people running red lights or something?) and when I called with a tip about my property and how to find it (an xbox literally has a hotline which is set up for police to call and it'll auto-contat them if the device comes online again,) they never contacted me again. The one officer who entered my home to take my statement and examine the area of break-in, covered my bathroom in fingerprint powder (looks like graphite?) and then left a much bigger mess for me to clean up than was caused in the break-in.

FTP.

I wish I'd have taken a picture of the officer who lives across from my brother in Junction City, who literally has a red/white/blue punisher skull flag flying in his front yard. Protect and serve, indeed

Junction City but no rebel flag? Shameful.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I'm not sure about the adults, but the high school kids in JC are mainly super on-top of things, and they do not give any slack about racism. My nephew and his friends were joking about one kid who was moving to some dinky-rear end town in far eastern oregon and they said, repeatedly, "well he'll be way happier being a racist in that town, than here. He's a racist douchebag." They even mentioned the other day how they'd rode the bus to Eugene and "there were a bunch of sketchy dirty drop-out kids all over, it was super-sketchy, we didn't wanna get anywhere near them".

So even if the adults suck, the kids are allright

Yeah, I was basically stereotyping an entire town based on the slackjawed yokels I have come in contact with that were from that town. I have never spent more time there than passing through, and the recent wave of transplants has flooding into Eugene has sureley moved the culture a little in the outlying areas as well.

My impressions of most places in the state were mostly fixed during my childhood and adolescence. Back then places like Pendleton and Dallas still had active KKK, though by that point they were underground. Milwaukie used to be a hub of skinhead activity. In fact the whole Portland area had a lot of skinheads. Mostly Volksfront and Hammerskins, but enough of a skinhead culture to support a decently sized contingent of SHARPs. Sometimes things change for the better I guess.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I can't seriously be the only person who's wanted to merge onto a highway, and be forced to slow way the gently caress down because some idiot in the right lane won't merge to their left, despite having ample time and space to do so.

Sorry dude but when merging it is kind of on you to match to the speed of traffic and find a space.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

So you believe there should be yield signs at the onramps?

Many of them do have them, however under Oregon and also Washington law the merging driver is required to yield and can be ticketed for failing to do so, regardless of whether there is a yield sign. I am on a phome otherwise I would link it for you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

It is actually pretty loving rude when you clowns think it's good to crowd the right lane and ignore anyone who wants to merge into that lane, to include people who are merging from an onramp, or who are merging to take an offramp.

Lol nice meltdown.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

To "let others by" would be to merge right to allow faster drivers to pass you on the left, right? If you're already going the speed limit then you shouldn't need to worry about that. And I know how deeply concerned everyone in this thread is in regard to traffic laws, so I can't imagine anyone would even consider going faster than the marked speed limit.

OMG it all makes sense now. Anthonypants is the the grandpa sitting in the left lane insisting that nobody should be going faster than the speed limit and that he is actually doing the mass of drivers building up behind him a huge favor by keeping them from breaking the law and getting arrested.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah I guess we just shouldn't enforce any laws ever. Now that we all agree can we talk about that poor mentally ill pregnant lady that got shot by police, the Oregon legislative session, or literally anything else?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Other countries do just fine with less police enforcement, they use deterrent programs and have stricter licensing requirements.

Feel free to talk about police murdering minorities, all I'm seeing right now is a bunch of people defending police because they're mad about people driving too slow.

No, you are projecting really hard because you seem to be unable to talk about anything other than cops=bad. Don't drive like a dipshit and you won't have to worry any more than you would otherwise. It is pretty well established that the entire legal system discriminates against minorities. It has very little to do with public awareness and enforcement campaigns to get left lane grannies like Anthonypants to move the gently caress over.

In other news the legislature last session directed the 15 or so high schools in the state of Oregon that had Indian mascots to either get the advice and consent of local tribes in redesigning them to be culturally appropriate and to educate staff and students or find a new mascot. It looks like 8 of them have gotten the blessing of local tribes to retain their mascots. What does the thread think? Still offensive or a tool for education?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

When I said that it was cool and good to sit in the left lane, you idiots complained that I was in gross violation of the law. When I pointed out that the law also includes a speed limit, you idiots complained that I must be going too slow in the left lane. I don't know if it's due to a lack of driving experience, or if you just got so angry that you went blind, but I used pretty unambiguous language, so if you can find an adult to draw you a diagram for you, that may help.

Yes, you do sound like 17 year old with a brand new license so it could be a lack of driving experience.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

*almost cuases an accident trying to merge before coming to a complete stop halfway between the onramp and the lane*

*drives at 57 on the freeway*

*hogs the left lane going slower than the right lane*

"Why is everyone honking? I am following the law! You shouldn't speed!*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe "projecting" isn't the concept you're looking for? Are you sure you don't mean biased? I'll admit I am biased as I am a Mexican who's been pulled over for things as ridiculous as being in the left lane too long.

Nice, I haven't heard people tell me that before... "Just stop doing X and maybe you won't be a target", it's the mating call of the "racism isn't real" know it all.

It's well established and documented that enforcement initiatives like seat belt laws disproportionately target minorities, but in this case it's different because you hate grannies so much? Let me assure you that in your affluent white neighborhood left lane drivers won't see a change, but in the areas where police patrol often there will be an effect. I suppose you already know that and that's why you don't have a problem with it?

I am saying you are projecting your suspcions of what people think onto them. Nobody is "defending cops" here. We do, however belive that some level of enforcement of traffic laws increases compliance with tjem and yes, we hate people who hog the left lane because they are assholes.

I am sorry that police have mistreated you. I don't think that the solution is to end all policing. From a social change perspective, if you engage police with an "us vs them" mentality it is not likely to bode well for getting them to listen to you or change. That isn't fair and it sucks, but it is a reality.