Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Taco Time is where you go when you want food that's worse than Taco Bell while pretending you're a better person than to eat at Taco Bell

Taco Time is better food than than Taco Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I posted a semi-coherent rant about this last night in another thread, but it’s super telling that their entire argument boils down to “hey, we’re not here to judge what his plan is, we just like that he has one!” Like, yeah, Brown is hot garbage, but the Oregonian can’t even be bothered to do the least bit of analysis on what those plans are, they just acknowledged that he has said these are good plans and that’s good enough for them.

So he's literally a Trump guy, in that, just like Trump he has vague plans that are good but won't reveal them?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

MaxPowers posted:

I actually wonder if I can sue who ever keeps putting the anti gun bills for WA. The last one was GUN SAFETY CHECKS and it passed and now https://www.initiative1639.org/ they are doing another bill to fund the last one and impose terrible terrible unconstitutional rules and taxes. Legit dont believe it will pass, but I didnt think I594 would pass either.

Lord trump please save WA from losing guns for ever.

Yeah it's critical we keep the tools for murdering children in schools available.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

twodot posted:

Mostly I'm still at "Let's not criminalize totally law abiding people because the security system the state pushed them to use is trivial to bypass". If that's the best the initiative writers could come up with, they should have just stayed home.

More than likely the gun lobby got involved and tried to block the bill, when they couldnt they argued down its requirements etc.. then they argue it doesn't go far enough. The hypocrisy and lying is how they operate.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

I love how he racked up like $120k in contempt fines, at 1k/day. What kind of judge just doesn’t throw you in jail after the first week or so?

Maybe one who wants you to face the full consequences of your actions? For a perma-grifter like Tim Eyman being financially ruined is probably more punishing than spending some time in prison especially because he can try to parlay that into some kind of martyrdom bullshit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

What is the point of little baggies on people's lawns. Like does that really intimidate someone into, what not voting?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Every single conservative leaning person I've ever talked to about poo poo like this thinks all the problems come from superintendents being overpaid an terrible at their job, and if all the district administration wasn't so greedy then the district could have everything they needed. Coin toss on whether or not they also think teachers have cushy overpaid gigs too or victims of the greedy system.

I think there is a small small modicum of truth to that, in that a lot of admins are probably a bit bloated and it's insane to have such a massive difference between high admin pay and what the people on the ground doing the actual work make, but that's literally every industry, everywhere in the United States, so claiming that those things need to be fixed before we can do such pie in the sky things as "lower class sizes" "fix leaky roofs" and "pay teachers a living wage" are absolutely absurd and I think what most of them really want are to gut the administrations and keep everything else lovely as hell.

They should pay teachers, custodians, support staff etc.. more. Admins are not overpaid, you have to pay market wages for the type of job it is. We can have another conversation about managers, in general, being overpaid, but currently what someone in the private sector would make doing what an administrator does should be the benchmark.

This conservative talking point that people in public service should make less is just stupid bullshit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

porkface posted:

If only idiots and their offspring could catch it, I would say let them have it. But since innocent people can get sick and die even if they had the vaccine, I think it's a legitimate societal problem/solution.

I have no idea why you can't sue the parents for damages for choosing not to vaccinate their kid if it gets your kid sick.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

There was 6-8 inches on the ground at my house and it's been snowing for 3 hours or so and doesn't look to let up. I'm so sick of shoveling my driveway, it's so steep.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I wish they'd treat him like he was black, jackboot into his home "find a gun there" and throw him in prison for resisting arrest and assault and battery forever.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Democrats call for expulsion of Shea, Republicans defend or refuse to acknowledge his behavior.

The Dems have a majority, I don't understand why they don't just immediately expel him from all of his committees.

One hopes they are giving them enough rope to hang themselves. But it's probably :decorum:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eggnogium posted:

Because the picture is clearly not of an “armed militia”. Like it’s a bad joke that makes no sense because the picture is from another protest on another day entirely but it is not the earnest endorsement of militia takeover that people are reading it as and the histrionics is just taking the bait.

Why not? Republicans have actively engaged in and encouraged terrorist acts in the past. Right-wing talking heads were all about how the Malheur terrorist armed insurrection was actually patriots. These same people are actively cheering on children dying in camps right this very moment. You can't parody creationists and you can't parody Republicans, and they frequently play games with saying something monstrous or actively treasonous and then saying "it's a joke, can't you take a joke".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Kidnapping charges and the Feds would love the excuse.

Are you sure? A bunch of armed terrorists took over a federal property and the only one that actually suffered any punishment was the quickdraw artist who drew down on the FBI. They let the rest off.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

xrunner posted:

It’s a bit more complicated than that - but sure. Cap and trade isn’t ideal but it’s also not completely ineffective. If you’d gone with inadequate over zero functional difference I’d be more inclined to agree. This country and this state is in love with market based half measures and if that’s what you can get it’s better than holding out for whatever it is exactly that you’d rather see (I’m curious what that would be). If nothing else it demonstrates you can take action without everything falling apart which is useful. I’m curious what your proposal is and how feasible it might be?. I ask this question a lot and I mostly get hemming and hawing and pie in the sky responses that amount to everybody else makes changes in a way that doesn’t impact me. The logging industry is kind of our coal miners. We need to just keep letting them do what they’re doing because the jobs now are more important. That 22 cents a gallon they’re saving isn’t really being saved. It’s just being pushed out into the future when it’ll need to be made up with interest. Keep in mind when the catastrophe hits who’s going to get hit the hardest is exactly the people you think this will hit the hardest so I don’t even know that you’re doing them any good

Hush this bill won't overnight fix climate change and redress all social and economic grievances and therefore is not worth it.

Oh gee it's gonna cost some people something. Everything costs. Grow up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kaal posted:

22 cents is nothing and the logging and trucking industries are already heavily subsidized in a wide variety of ways despite forming a small part of the economy. It would be irresponsible to continue ignoring the oncoming economic catastrophe - estimated to cost Oregon more than $40 billion by 2100 - simply because it's mildly inconvenient for the 6,000 loggers in Oregon. Oregon's legal marijuana industry is practically brand-new and already is about the same size, why are we only talking about such a tiny sliver of Oregonians when everyone is impacted by climate change?

It's the same bullshit with coal miners. Who gives a gently caress about coal miners? There are literally more people who work as cashiers at Walmart than there are coal miners.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

George posted:

You're the one
You're the one
Nice strawman lol
You're the one

What if the goalposts... are made out of straw men?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Her take on reality seems to be that the only way we accomplish anything is by doing nothing and that over an exceedingly long timeline, of course, everyone will eventually be treated equally.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Turtle Blogger posted:

I understand the point you are making in terms of the aesthetics/narrative value of using the word pedophile even if it's not the word that sexology academics would use. The general public does indeed use the word as you say they do. I think that kids can't consent and that all of it is rape--whether ephebophilia, hebephilia, or pedophilia. I agree with you on that. I still don't think someone should be maligned for being accurate and specific with their word usage.

But this isn't an example of someone being accurate and specific with their word usage. This is someone going out of their way to correct other people's word usage, needlessly, pedantically, and in a way that minimizes the monstrous repeat crimes of a child rapist.

Do you not understand the difference between using irony correctly yourself and needing to defend a child rapist?

And we're not just talking private life, this is a public person, a reporter, using her fame to offer justification for a serial child rapist, because oh they're not technically a child rapist, at least that hasn't been precisely alleged yet in the years and years and years of repeated child rapes, oh no he's been doing years and years and years of teen rape.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Is she this pedantic about everything? I mean if so, maybe this is a good faith whatever, but I have this feeling she isn't at all consistent on how careful we all need to be with our words.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Jackard posted:

Who's been waiting for this poo poo?

I'm guessing she received some hot takes about her stance that "well ackshually Epstein isn't a pedophile he's a ...."

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

therobit posted:

Honestly I wish I knew someone who would let me borrow their goats for a week or two to clean my yard up. I don't give a drat about anything in my backyard and since my wife went back to work we have not been keeping it up. It'd be great to have some goats just loving destroy all the plant life back there.

https://rentagoat.com/

https://pro.com/blog/best-places-rent-goats-seattle/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah I know tons of people died on it al the time

Have you seen the "leaked" video of what would happen if there was a major earthquake (which there will be, we're overdue).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

If they took credit cards they'd have to pay the fees that the companies charge and they'd have to raise the price for all of us

couldn't they just charge an equivalent fee to what they'd pay out? Or did Credit Card companies successfully lobby to make that somehow illegal.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

My wife and I are living in Portland and are in the process of buying a house. One of the aspects of purchasing a house now is looking on portlandmaps.com to see how high a risk the house is at of destruction from the Cascadia quake. I heard about this quake a lot growing up, and over the past few years. But I never paid much attention to it. Now, it’s like we hear about it a lot. My wife is from Texas and she is pretty freaked out by the thought of us being separated or one of us killed during it, let alone our house and all our possessions being destroyed. I don’t honestly know whether to be scared or just ignore it like it’s an old wives tale.

Many of the sites claim a 10-14% chance of it happening over the next 50 years, and that it would injure and/or displace something like 200,000 people. But, do you all know more about it? Like how likely it is or how we should really be thinking about it? I continue to wonder if it would even happen in our lifetime.

All of this is reliant on the theory that tectonic plates essentially build up tension over time and it has to be released periodically. Imagine if you pull a string cheese apart, mostly it pulls smoothly but sometimes it catches and tension builds up then it pulls more rapidly for a bit.

The thing is, there isn't a consensus around this idea in the geologic community. So yeah, there's a chance that if that theory of how fault lines work, the area is overdue for a major earthquake by like 100 years. But we don't actually have great records of these periodic quakes, and the theory is an okay theory but not an actual consensus.

Between a shark, which is negligible, and between being hit by a car, which is actually a very good chance, is a wide range, and probably a good place to put "the big Northwest Quake".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I don’t really know tbh I took a geology course on fault lines and stuff in the Seattle area and the teacher presented them as two theories about how faults work basically and didn’t say anything about if one theory was better or more widely supported. However you can see why the theory that predicts a terrible catastrophe relatively soon gets all the attention.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

I got my paper through the company but it was from DHS. And it was before Boeing declared they were closing down. It was last week. I assume it's not needed, but getting a bad vibe getting an a letter from DHS marked "Unclassified" and told by management to have it on me or in my car. Not the best way to reassure an already tense staff.

So Boeing management being incompetent. Big shift there.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

therobit posted:

Look, It's a jobs program for those of low intelligence and ambition, along with people that have developmental disabilities. Do you really want to take that away from them?

Yeah definitely want to make poor people inhale gas fumes so they can eat. We wouldn't want to "take that away from them".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Javid posted:

It sure does say that, but people are still being refused procedures on that basis, because ????

At least attempt to meet people's needs halfway, OR actually fund the kind of relief that is required for everyone to be unemployed for however long. I'd sure rather see some states lead by example in loosening SOME restrictions and letting businesses who can safely do so return to normal operation. The most bullshit "essential" business that's open here is a store that sells bong parts and weed stuff, and their net total protective measures are some tape on the floor, and a lot of wiping of surfaces with chemicals sprayed from things. I figure anyplace that can meet those truly lofty standards should be able to be open if they want to be, without somebody whose income is secure forever bravely deciding that their income is an acceptable sacrifice

They are trying to do these things. When you try to enact policy on a society-wide basis there are always unfairnesses and people who are hurt by it. The idea they'd be able to magically actually determine what is essential on a granular is kind of loving stupid.

If we really wanted things that like we'd have to fund agencies that make plans these kind of contingency scenarios, then enact those plans.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

gohuskies posted:

I'm not sure if he will. This poll is a little old, from April 18-20, but it's WA specific and shows pretty massive support for social distancing and that people would rather err on the side of distancing too long rather than not long enough. Meanwhile the Republicans are sounding like absolute lunatics. https://crosscut.com/2020/04/poll-most-wa-voters-wary-reopening-economy-too-soon

That’s what they’re saying now. When the economy is hosed 6 months from now and republicans are crowing about it nonstop and blaming him they may feel different. Voters are loving stupid.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

It's been all over social media thanks to the right-wing militia crowd (who just want people to know what's going on, of course, and are shocked when people who filed issues get a barrage of death threats).

Also, it wasn't leaked - it was legitimately FOIA'ed as a public record. The info probably shouldn't have been subject to FOIA in the first place, but in the halcyon days of a month or so ago, people didn't really predict that neo-Nazis would be making death threats against people who report violations of the law.

Don't worry the death threats are coming from inside the thread.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Pander posted:

https://twitter.com/ClarkCoWA_PH/status/1265748070211497984?s=20

Lol we were about to reopen. Probably still will, chuds will throw a shitfit if their haircuts get delayed.

My fav is the gun hoarder replying to that tweet asking clarity on the race of the people at the Firestone pacific plant who got covid. Hmmmmmmmm.

There is a slight way that I sympathize with the chuds on this one. I mean I'm not arguing we should re-open or that my hair is worth someone risking dying. I got laid off due to Covid though and I have to do zoom interviews and my hair is starting to look shaggy :/ and I don't know what to do because a terrible haircut is worse than shaggy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I would wager a guess that if you can find an out of work barber they would probably be willing to come to your house or you go to theirs. Don't know a friend of a friend that cuts hair?

I do not, I moved to Portland 6 months ago and my social circle is relatively small.

I mean it's fine, hair is hair people will be understanding. But I understand the desire to get a hair cut even if their conclusion is totally wrong.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

If you don't have an emotional attachment or whatever to your hair just shave your head.

Yeah I won’t get a job as a valuation expert / financial consultant if I shave my head. I did it once before and I look like a thug.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

lmao ppb is asking for public help identifying people setting dumpsters on fire. Mainly so they can build their dangerous protester counter narrative I guess. I mean there’s zero chance they expect this to come to anything cuz who the gently caress is going to snitch on someone for a dumpster fire and if they did how would you even prove it. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/762541

Find the names of cops and report them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Javid posted:

If I correctly understand the legal mechanisms being used for the mask thing here in OR, it's an OSHA requirement upon the businesses, requiring employees to specifically approach people who aren't wearing masks and hassle them about it.

In reality, this is how you get your 19 year old stockers and cashiers screamed at by angry hicks, so everyplace I've actually been into is just posting the signs and NOT having their employees get involved. Which is reasonable, dumping all that on them is actual bullshit.

They should just call the cops on anyone not wearing a mask, and the cops should come to arrest them. Of course, that would require that cops not be garbage, but here we are.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

PNW is on fire again. This sucks :(

Last time this happened in Seattle my eye got infected from the smoke

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Lol and now the power is out like everywhere’s.

Mine's come back on already. Was out for about 2 hours.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Dude's been trying to gently caress with car tabs for as long as this forum's been alive. He should've taken the hint years ago.

He doesn’t give a gently caress about car tabs. His livelihood is loving with car tabs, if he actually succeeds he can no longer grift.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I'm sure my entitled boomer white guy dad thinks he's a champion of freedoms. It's the communist state court that is the villain here, it's clearly not his fault for stepping into the same rake over and over again.

Yeah it’s probably that and not that he intentionally writes his laws to be unconstitutional so he can perpetually rail against big government or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pthighs posted:

Other things posters have said are all true. But this is definitely true.

My bother-in-law, who is conservative but smart enough not to have not voted for Trump in either election, hates Inslee because of taxes. We've tried to explain to him that what he really hates is the high sales tax that comes from not having an income tax, but he doesn't quite buy it. He buys and sells lots of used cars, and as a result pays a lot more state tax than us, who earn a much higher income.

I think some local radio person must have been talking about this, because he just started bringing it up a few months ago.

A lot of idiots get fixated on taxes because they don’t think of government services they use as being paid for by taxes. They will always focus on programs that don’t benefit them directly then claim taxes are redistributing “their” money to people who don’t deserve it.