Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Having spent time in couer d alene, im ok with exiling them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

xrunner posted:

Last week, I went down to the Plaid for some cigarettes. There was a middle aged black man standing outside. I've seen him around before. While I'm inside, a police officer walks in and asks the attendant if he's causing problems. The cashier says no and asks why. She responds that the pizza place next door has complained about him loitering and she's going to ask him to move along. The cashier comments that the guy shows up a few times a week and he thinks he's just waiting for a ride. I made my purchase and left, the cop was out there hassling the guy, asking him to move on. Can't have people loitering in front of Plaid in inner-SE, right? Wait. Aren't there always people loitering in front of that Plaid? Well yeah, but this guy was apparently different.

Anyway, I used to go to this bro-ey sports bar near my house, primarily because it was the only spot in walking distance that I could consistently find a TV to watch my college team (understandable given that I went to a not all that great right now SEC school and this is PAC-12 country). Went there often enough that I got to be familiar with the Saturday staff, and they started just taking my order and cashing me out at the end, instead of asking for a card to run a tab. I'd have friends with me sometimes and they were comfortable enough with me that they'd just serve the table and cash us out at the end. Made it through football and basketball season this way. Then one day I bring along a different friend, happens to be a black man. They serve the table like always, the waitress brings us a second round of drinks, like always. Then, as the second round is getting ready to need refreshing, the waitress comes up and asks for a card to hold for the order. Says her manager has changed policies and they have to get a card for every table now. Okay. Just a coincidence, right? Nothing suspect about the timing.

My good friend and roommate was out at the anti-Trump rallies and got called a host of derogatory terms for Hispanics by some of the aggrieved motorists (she's not Hispanic, but that doesn't matter).

Well, that's just race. Guy came through the neighborhood a few weeks ago pulling the cans and bottles out of the blue/yellow bins to turn in for the deposits. Like a lot of people, I just put my cans/bottles in a bag next to the bins to make it easy. My neighbor doesn't. He yells at people when they start poking in the bin.

I have lots of little anecdotes about things I've seen/heard/witnessed.

This is truly a magical place. If you're the right kind of person and in the right crowd of people. But there's a lot of just under the surface non-overt racism and there's a ton of contempt for the homeless. And as the town gets richer and richer and more and more people get pushed out it's just going to get worse, I think.

This is a good post.
But you forgot the literal nazis running over a black dude a few months ago.

And the mayor covering for the cop who loves nazis

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

xrunner posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think there is plenty of good here too. But I find we like to pat each other on the back and revel in our reputation as this progressive wonderland at the expense of addressing very real problems in our community.

Portland.txt

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

They seem to be crimes of omission and just forgetting about the population, rather than outright "gently caress you" of the South.

And acting scandalized when the well deserved "gently caress you right back" lands on them

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Woah really? Which episode of Portlandia talked about that.

Dude's name is Kruger, because of course it is.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DevNull posted:

Read this too: https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/421-my-people-are-rising

Seattle had a very active Black Panther party. Then get depressed when you see the gentrification happening in the Central District. You'll understand how a super market can be an important part of a community: http://kuow.org/post/red-apple-heart-black-seattle-likely-close-making-way-vulcan The Black Panthers led a boycott against Safeway in the CD that kept the store out of the area for 30 years.

Put a fuckin bird on that

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
New year new thread. gently caress to old threads

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

The Million Women March protest seems to be primarily by and for white women, and leftists are desperately trying to drag liberals, kicking and screaming, into any mild understanding of intersectionality http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2017...ump-supporters/

Also, lol

White People ruin everything

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrandorKP posted:

Welp militia nuts in an army surplus truck with a trump flag just drove through town.

Joy it's a circuit.

Yep three times, dog is about done making GBS threads now.

Looks like a third go round. This time with white power hand gestures.

Throw dog poop at them

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

I heard someone got shot up in Seattle last night?

I dont have a ton of details. But it was an antifa medic that got shot, by one of the milo y supporters who "managed to get away" in the middle of 300 cops.

According to folks who were there.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Death to America

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

George posted:

Came here to post this; it turns out he's a relative of mine, so thanks for doing the needful.

Early signs show he's going to be ok, but I don't have all the details and am still worried. Given the nature of the shitbag he was protesting they're trying to keep a lid on things but help if you can, even if "just" by doing more to fight this poo poo.

Pretty sure I saw a goon name or two in the donation feed, so serious thanks all 'round.

I kicked him a few bucks and I'll kick a few heads in his honor. Tell him get well.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gently caress Cascadia

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

What the gently caress can they even do? The Republicans hold every branch of government right now by a majority, and most State governments. And Republicans are using legislative tricks to keep filibusters at bay - they learned that from 8 years of having the Democrats do that to them.

We may be a numerically larger group of people, but that doesn't mean poo poo in electoral elections or gerrymandered districts.

Hell, we had one of the most massive marches in history and literally nothing came out of it.

*strokes mustache very stalinishly*

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

coyo7e posted:

You really, really do not want to source anything from Tikkun Olam blog. Richard Silverstein is a sick person.

There must be some other more credible source, outside of this guy.

Care to expand on this?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
BDS is good though

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

Funny you should mention that.

ACAB

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Also, after the last year, assuming basic political literacy is NOT something you wanna do.

If it goes without saying, say it anyway.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doorknob Slobber posted:

IWW released another statement on the shooting The media has been absolutely hosed up on this subject.

I don't understand why our institutions serve to protect the victimizer in situations like this rather than the victim.

Creeping fascism is a feature of, and not a deviation from, capitalism.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Relevant Tangent posted:

Wanting to sleep with a serial killer isn't unconscionable unless you've de-humanized serial killers so much they're not people.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Hi, is there still time to say ACAB?

Every hour is ACAB o clock

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This is the actual thread, the other one got closed. I don't know what you're talking about.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
https://twitter.com/bkerensa/status/825911202790281216

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thaddius the Large posted:

That's how I knew the photo was real, at first I assumed someone was just claiming poo poo on Twitter, but nobody's laying down on that carpet unless they're not physically able to lift themselves off of it.

Truth

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This is why you must never thirst if you're an activist.

Volcel Volunteerism

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DevNull posted:

Not only was he alone in showing up, but he denied being a nazi/Trump supporter. I was there with a small group that had some plans to disrupt any wall builders, and we ended up just hanging out instead. We got some contacts with the people from the antifa group, so hopefully we can all be more organized in loving up nazi plans in the future.

:ussr::respek::anarchists:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wouldn't it be more impactful to end no-cause evictions all together? Or are there legit reasons to keep it?

As I understand it, thats the plan, this is just a literal bandaid to keep people in their homes until that happens (or not)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress Jesse Sponberg
That is all

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

Do you know any anarchists who are just mad all of the time

Yes y'all do. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I wish anyone loved me as much as liberals love those windows.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Apants is funny though.

None of us are funny

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Peachfart posted:

Ugh, this thread stinks of Oregonian slapfighting. Either gently caress, then shut up or just shut up.

Feachpart

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The 'militia' and 'private security' parts worry me a bit, but we'll see I guess. Debating whether to go in street medic or camera mode to this one. Kind of want to put faces to some of these right wing militia and private security idiots

Go camera mode with a medic bag

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

One of Oregon's state senators proposed a bill that would expel college students if they are convicted of rioting http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2017/SB540/

Time to riot

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

lmao

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I'm very nice and also very angery!!!!

I am nice or angry, never both. And im not very nice

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

logger posted:

How dare people try voicing their opinion to their elected representative if it isn't unending praise.

Stupid politician wants his participation trophy, abloo bloo bloo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Never shake hands with cops, you might as well put the gun in your mouth yourself

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

twodot posted:

Do you think calling out self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden from people who agree with your policy goals helps or hurts accomplishing your policy goals?
This:
"self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden"
Is absolutely poisonous to this:
"accomplishing your policy goals"

The people who participate in the former cannot hold those views and accomplish the latter.

Just like anybody screaming about 'ferners takin are jorbs' will never be anything but an obstacle to providing justice for immigrants.

Its a wholly incompatible world view. I'm being harsh, but you really can't do both so fuckin pick one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Lobe posted:

nah see the road to the promised land is paved by the political momentum of self-interested assholes and the bit tongues of those who find their lovely attitudes toxic and a liability besides

also criticism of said assholes is tantamount to thought policing and is counterproductive to "policy"

But but but puuuuuuuurrrrrity politics