Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

We will assume that this poll has a margin of error of 8 since there were 40 votes total and only 32 registered for Washington, the one true core, center, location, and heart of the PNW. Now I'd like everyone to keep in mind, that there term under discussion here is "the Pacific Northwest" not just simply the 'Northwest,' I have a feeling that putting these two terms side by side and contemplating what the difference could or should be in lexicographical meaning will clear up any confusion among unfortunate souls that mistakenly and naively include Idaho in a misguided attempt to appear relevant and knowledgeable pertaining the subjects at hand, when it is quite simply clear to everybody that they have never set foot near the PNW nor a map nor globe nor institute of higher learning for that matter.

It looks like some people avoided voting for Washington to help Oregon catch up. Shameful.

Tier one PNW: Washington and B.C. Tier two PNW: Oregon and Alaska. Tier three PNW: Idaho and some northern bits of california in a theoretical world where I'm willing to look closely enough at california to subdivide it. And probably the Yukon, if we're going to be that flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Excited to be here on the ground floor of a fabulous thread filled with posts that are very fun and exciting indeed.

I know, I sometimes confused the old version of this with the the Seattle thread and the other Seattle thread, but I vaguely remember attempting to talk real politics in it once or twice. This new version should be totally full of genuine regional debate and discussion, no dismissive sniping, hot takes, or reactionary boundary-defending whatsoever. I'll help make sure of that with posts like this one and the one above yours.

Actually I'm pretty sure that the argument at the end of the last thread proved (via concession) once and for all that hot takes are the only definitive and reliable lens with which to view recent history, and any other attempted kinds of analysis are bullshit. So this will be an excellent thread.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So basically the lesson I'm learning from all of this is that since Portland is so bad I shouldn't worry about anything up here in Seattle. Good to know. (If you tell me about something bad in Seattle I'll only check to make sure I'm in a different neighborhood, then feel proud about that.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Mrit SA posted:

I'm guessing you don't own a TV either.

It's somewhat normal these days to not own a TV (I mean to just use the internet instead of cable). It's not and will never be normal to think donuts don't taste good.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If you want to expand the category of "The Pacific Northwest" to include California, the thing you have described is called "the west coast". Why don't we have a West Coast States thread? Probably because in practice it would be mostly a California thread, and there already is one of those.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 18, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, we already elect the ST board -- because they're all elected officials. They just also have their feet in other parts of local government, which is nice. If we have to dredge up 11 people who have nothing better to do but be on this board, and elect them separately in a bunch of elections that even fewer voters will pay attention to, we're going to end up with a way worse transit board, partly stocked with people specifically running to sabotage it.

The republicans pushing the whole "directly elect ST board members" thing are doing it in response to ST3 passing. I mean, if you think light rail should be going more places, faster, then we just need to get it its money sooner. If you think they should abandon their plans entirely then reshuffle the leadership like this.

(I'm going on this rant because some pro-ST3 people would think at first glance "directly electing the board sounds like a good idea, we could stock it full of transit geeks who know what they're doing". But it wouldn't work out like that.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What we want ideally is a poo poo ton of ~3-6 story apartment buildings with varying character and upscaleness. But a bunch of giant bland luxury single-bedroom apartment towers near downtown surrounded by a sea of aging suburbs might work out in the end, as long as we still have some amount of the midsize apartments out there.

(I mean, either way we need to actually fund our housing subsidy programs. and for that to be sustainable we need to rework our entire tax structure so we can raise a reasonable amount of income without crushing the lower and middle classes. and for that to be politically feasible we need to finally flip our state legislature, and then pressure the ones nominally on our side to actually get the good poo poo done. and I don't know how to do that.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 3, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's possible to defend yourself from potential threats without killing them. This is one of the foundations on which society is built.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

(poo poo post malone has a union)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah I grew up here and am pretty sure this is the most lightning we've had in 25 years at least. Pretty cool.

This is probably another effect of the same changes that have been giving us hotter summers, stronger rains, and Smaugust (which we thankfully dodged this year), but I can enjoy it anyway.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I want people to be able to continue to live in their home city, and so I strongly prefer candidates who are trying to make that easier over candidates who are going to make that harder.

Call me spoiled or juvenile for that, and then pretend to be the reasonable one in this discussion.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm feeling some hope, because Seattle is definitely more populous than it was in 2015, so you'd expect turnout to be higher.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

For some reason I thought you were talking about turnout as in total number of votes to count. More people with a similar % turnout would be more total turnout. If you were already assuming a similar percent of the population would vote, never mind.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah my instinct is optimism here, but I've learned to recoil from my optimism.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm so happy to see the day when the Chamber of Commerce loses control of the city council. And all it took was Amazon trying to ham-handedly do the same thing (as a single, giant, more obviously troubling business).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

is that a reference to boeing or microsoft?

I just meant that "Amazon donates $tons to X candidate" is easier for people to see as a problem than "The Chamber of Commerce supports X candidate", even though the chamber of commerce is a stand-in for the same lovely and misguided business interests that include Amazon. Basically, Amazon accidentally let people see behind the mask of propriety.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm moving out of District 3 this weekend, and I was going to be real pissed to leave it in the hands of Orion. Now I can allow myself a sliver of optimism for the future of this city.

By the way, I saw on twitter a statement Durkan made (to Crosscut for some article) when asked about the city council results, and lol. It's 90% "look how progressive I am too, really".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm starting to think that many mayors can't actually tell their police what to do, and don't want to reveal that fact by trying. (Durkan also doesn't disagree with the police enough to care, don't get me wrong)

I mean, DeBlasio is scum, but I bet if he suddenly had a change of heart and instructed the NYPD to reign it in, he'd be found dead by morning.

It was painstaking to get Durkan to promise to eventually have the SPD stop covering their badge numbers. And the day after she said that, they started also covering their names.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even when Twilight was big, Port Angeles got more money from it than Forks did. I worked one summer cooking at a lodge halfway between the two, and our business was booming from people who went to Forks and turned around earlier than planned.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Surely the laws in place mandating a balanced budget like our state is a loving household will never bite us in the rear end, not during an unprecedented public health and economic crisis or anything.

Unfortunately states can't run a deficit like the federal government can. This was really up to congress to hold state budgets up while we ride out the pandemic, but that dropped out of the conversation as soon as we regressed to defending the idea of even encouraging isolation at all. Maybe once red states are starting to face the full brunt of things, they'll take a second look.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 19, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well unless you have another suggestion for avoiding the "hospitals get overwhelmed" point, lockdown is gonna be the thing we try.

The disadvantages compared to April are fatigue and a federal government even less forthcoming with aid. The advantages are that we have a better understanding of masks and the difference between indoor and outdoor spread, which might allow for some more long-term-usable lockdown strategies.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, we'd better get some financial aid pointed at this poo poo real quick. You're right "just starve to death without work" isn't an option. Not calling for a lockdown isn't really an option either, because it doesn't lead anywhere -- we can wait until the hospitals fill up and every other health hazard gets worse as a consequence, further increasing the stakes while we'll still be facing the same problem.

We're stressing fruitlessly between two non-options, while all the actual options seem to be off the table due to our country's refusal to let the government spend money to solve problems.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 8, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why what happened. Did something huge and earth shattering occur that nobody saw coming in a million years?

E: thanks For the Donkey Konga setup again.

Things can be very very bad without being surprising. I find myself yelling this often when I make the mistake of reading twitter replies.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah Lewis and Pederson were definitely influenced by their constituents bombarding them with messages on the one side, and being sick of Durkan's poo poo on the other. Lewis commented that he was tired of Durkan 'negotiating by veto' and 'communicating via press release', though he tried to drop those phrases in a context that made them not sound quite as scathing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That word "isolated" sure is something, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

People started using the term "5-over-1" incorrectly, and that misconception feels like an obvious idea so that usage spread faster and farther than the original, more technical/jargony usage.