Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Wiggy Marie posted:

A good microcosm of my Portland experience was my visit to Voodoo Donuts, supposed donut haven of Portland. I went based on the recommendations of several friends who just love their donuts! They're so delicious! I waited 20 minutes in line, paid cash, and got this box as my carton to walk back to my hotel with:

I mean, look at it. Look at it.

Voodoo Doughnuts is gimmicky, overly-sweetened garbage for idiot tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

Yep. That's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

So, this morning, I was harassing Mexicans... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1420365871338909&id=100000965284930&pnref=story

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Venuz Patrol posted:

iirc liberal states usually have worse overall crime stats because they actually track sexual assault statistics instead of chalking all of them up to hysteria

Also, the biggest cities in 31 states are smaller than Portland.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

punk rebel ecks posted:

Portland DSA should really advertise on the site better about the time for New/Potential Member meetings. I ended showing up at the time the general meeting was supposed to occur and but was directed toward the new member meeting which was wrapping up. I initially felt foolish, but over the course of ten minutes a dozen or so people came in after me.

Where did you get your information about the time for the meeting? All of the events I can find - Facebook, Google, etc. list the start time as the time the new member orientation starts. Maybe there's a stray listing that needs to be updated?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Christoph posted:

That's not true. Pick a major dam and find its wiki page. This was in the article for the proposed Belo Monte dam in Brazil:

"A 1990 study of the Curuá-Una Dam, also in Brazil, found that it pollutes 3.5 times more in carbon dioxide equivalent than an oil power plant generating an equal amount of electricity would"

This was also in the same paragraph:

"Dams in Brazil emit high amounts of methane, due to the lush jungle covered by waters each year as the basin fills. [...] If the dam builders cleared the forest beforehand, they would remove the organic matter from the reservoir floor and the dam would produce less of the greenhouse gas methane. However, in the case of Tucuruí, only the economically necessary forest was cut (10%, near the opening to the spillway) and the rest was left intact to be flooded by the reservoir."

So clearly there are more variables that don't all have the same magnitude for every dam everywhere.