Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kirsten Harris Talley is super ahead of Chukundi right now. Chukundi isn't bad but its looking like a cinch for KHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Police unions are more guilds than anything, and shouldn't be considered part of the labor movement. Unions generally won't defend a member if they kill someone on the job.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Let's break it down by who has it worse.

Mayor: both lovely neolibs (tie)
Police: both harassing minorities on end (tie)
Protestors: Portland is a constant target by the Proud Boys and other RW groups. Seattle gets them too, but not the extent Portland does. Edge: Portland
Taxes / city revenue: Seattle is perpetually hosed by our sales tax system, edge: Seattle
Gentrification: both are bad, but Seattle seems to be turbofucked by Amazon as well as other FAANG companies. Edge: Seattle
Public transit: lol this is easy, Seattle is so far behind. Edge: Seattle
Surrounding area: good God rural Oregon is so much worse. Edge: Portland

Theres other metrics but I'd say Seattle is slightly more hosed, but both cities face their issues for sure.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pat Cashman now runs a podcast where he interviews former cast members of Almost Live:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlmostLiveSA

I'll have to give that a listen.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

1glitch0 posted:

Apparently a giant nest of murder hornets were found in Washington yesterday. I knew they were keeping them for the season finale.

From what I read, all the hornets were sucked up into a vacuum tube, hauled away for study, and the nest was destroyed. So far so good?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure WA's constitution says that Lt. Governor becomes governor in the case that the gov can't do his duties (by taking a job in the administration). That's why people have said the Lt. Gov election is more important than we think. The Lt. Gov job itself is mostly powerless and effectively functions as a bully pulpit otherwise.

Also Josh Freed is running a write in campaign for Lt. Gov after getting spanked in the primaries lol. But I suppose there's a small chance he gathers enough votes if dems split the vote between Heck and Liias though...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ferguson basically would be a shoe-in. He's done enough to get his name out there. Anyone who takes on Comcast for an anti-consumer lawsuit and wins gets an unprecedented amount of goodwill, since Comcast is one of the companies that has the least amount of bootlickers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gregoire's biggest gently caress up was raiding higher education $$ during the global financial crisis, and the state never got the money back to schools.

It certainly wasn't fun seeing your tuition being raised quarter over quarter when programs kept getting cut.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My dad used to be an ops manager on the port of Seattle and would meet with the port commissioners, all the people that run for that position are just trying to get their name in politics so they can run for something better. The port commissioner job is extremely easy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mischievous Mink posted:

Huge relief to see Culp fail, out rural where I live there were hordes of Culp signs. Of course there would be, but still, just a relief.

The thing about signs is that its usually just a couple of fanatics that are placing them all over the place and not an indication of support.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Really glad the sex ed bill passed and that it passed by lot - I expected that to be a lot closer. It also looks like my district will stay flipped to Schrier as well. I still think it's absurd that King County had to vote to fund Harborview though.

Yeah, I think aside from Lt. Gov, all the state wide races I voted for went as I voted.

I wish for my local district (the 37th), Chukundi ran for the 1st position for rep as a challenger to Sharon Tomiko Santos, so we could have him and Kirsten Harris Talley repping us. Oh well, happy with the KHT win.

The Oldest Man posted:

I know this is a scary and tough time but I hope this will make you feel better.

https://twitter.com/AustinJenkinsN3/status/1324089509781229568

:yeshaha:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

Given the Pettigrew endorsement, I'm fairly convinced Chukundi was a stealth conservative paying lip service to progressive causes, which is why he wasn't running against Tomiko Santos.

Given he did slip up that he was a bit pro-landlord, I think you might be right.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seeing Wheeler get reelected doesn't give me much hope that Durkan gets her rear end kicked out next election.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would love Nikkita to run again, but based on what they said I don't see them running again.

Given what Portland went through re-electing Tear Gas Teddy, I'm genuinely concerned we'll have an Abilene Paradox and re-elect Durkan should she seek another term.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gerund posted:

Passing the $15 minimum wage got a lot of stories where "Seattle is going to Detroit itself".

Washington state has around half the population of NY and Florida and Pennsylvania. We're the size of Arizona, Tennesseee, Indiana and Mass and are discussed equivalently.

Its funny because now Florida just passed $15 minimum wage. Also, Washington (alongside Colorado) was the first state to legalize weed and now every state that puts it on the ballot sees it pass. Even red states like Mississippi.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Oregon have an advisory vote on having central / eastern Oregon seceding to Idaho? That got reported in our news.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In good news, Tim Eyman will stand trial today for all of his money laundering:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/after-years-of-preamble-tim-eymans-trial-begins-could-it-mean-the-end-of-his-initiatives/

If he gets hosed, it could mean the end of his lovely initiatives.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Oldest Man posted:

I'd like to spend a billion public dollars inducing demand for more car commutes, but don't compare that to subsidies for fossil fuels. That's not the same thing at all.

While this is true, the state is already investigating an alternative to gas taxes, including a pay per mile tax because the rise of electric cars is already diminishing the gas tax returns to the state.

I'm not a fan of the setup but given the city was designed to have the west seattle bridge in mind to service the people of West Seattle. Ideally I think the city is going to have to do a hybrid solution of replacing it while also creating a better public transit solution (maybe replace the bridge and put a light rail smack dab in the middle of it, idk).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Oldest Man posted:

Well they backed Egan Orion

Egan is gay, similar to Durkan. So that fulfilled the "minority" spot.

With that said, sounds like the CoC has a candidate in mind:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eyesonthestorm/status/1336022913196048385

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

generic one posted:

Tell me more about this “Seattle thread”. Or, you know, a link would be more than sufficient. :)

It's in LAN: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926299

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It seems clear to me that Durkan thought this was gonna be a chummy job where she could rub elbows with some elites (see: her eagerness to be involved in the Climate Pledge Arena), do some public facing events for a big charity, to maybe set her up with a greater job. But then COVID blew up in her face, alongside the police brutality and she just realized the job was making her miserable. It was poo poo she didn't want to deal with, and was getting in the way of her bigger aspirations. I have to imagine people showing up at her house to protest and exposing her as a rich fraud didn't help either. She never had anyone's interest in mind except her owns and elites.

I really hope the city doesn't fall for a candidate like her again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey look, it's the sequel that none of us wanted:

https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1336439159943168000

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GodFish posted:

Well they'll be amazing on the council, really wish they were running for mayor again though.

From what Nikkita has said, running for mayor was extremely exhausting and difficult for them, and I'm not surprised they went a different direction instead and went for city council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/gramsofgnats/status/1371886147102666755?s=19

This man is the stupidest motherfucker lmao