Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mrit SA posted:

Sadly it is the whole Pacific Northwest. My coworkers will start talking about 'those' types of people and will stop when I stare at them blank faced until they cut it out(passive-aggressively, like a proper Seattle resident).
All of the racism I see seems to be towards Latinos and/or African Americans, rarely towards Asians.
Lots of sexism also. A coworker of mine is female, and is probably one of the best workers on my team. But since I work in a technical field, there have been customers who don't want her and would prefer a male technician.(these customers have a tendency to have their calls get 'lost')

As a "latino" that can pass as a white guy I feel like I'm living in a different country (having moved from Phoenix). It really is a wonderful place to live if you're white. It's so weird to be seen as white now, cops are friendly, I get good service at restaurants, I can walk down the street without people yelling poo poo at me from their cars. The most bizarre part is that people will say racist poo poo straight to my face, not realizing who they're talking to.

For instance, when I helped my brother move here we were returning the Uhaul truck and trailer and the guy taking the return said something along the lines of "We don't see too many of these trailers around here, usually they're rented out by Mexicans to haul around their broken down cars"...

But honestly, it's not as prominent as it is in other parts of the country. I feel like it's less of a problem here, but maybe if I was darker skinned I would notice it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

I don't think it's what you're trying to do, but this is a fairly common strategy for sweeping these issues under the rug. "We are not as bad as other places" is essentially "Love it or leave it." Maybe hold us to a higher standard instead of declaring victory because we're better than places that are really awful? When I lived in the South East, people actually talked about this stuff instead of pretending it was left behind in an embarrassing past.

Oh yeah, definitely, I was just talking about my experience living here for 10+ years. I call that poo poo out non-stop, I'm very afraid of taking steps backwards with the normalization of bigotry. I've lived all over, people here are definitely afraid to talk about race, they get very uncomfortable when I do it.

xrunner posted:

Eh. Plenty of racism against Hispanics and natives too. But why do you think there are so few African Americans? Just the historical exclusion? Or is there something here today that makes them feel particularly unwelcome? My understanding (and maybe my understanding is wrong) is that a lot of people of color who relocate out here end up leaving pretty quickly.

I have a few black friends here in the Seattle area, I think it's as simple as just not finding work and the cost of living being high. I helped a black friend move over from Spokane and he's had a rough time finding a decent job. One of my other friends who's lived here a long time lives up in Everett, presumably because it's just a lot cheaper there.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

"People are talking about racism and race related issues. I better go tell them how not racist I am and how much more enlightened the place I live is." How is this helpful beyond just sweeping the issue under the rug while standing secure in your sense of progressive enlightenment. I have spent no time in Tacoma so maybe it is more socially developed than the larger cities to its north and south. Waiting for aging racists to die off doesn't strike me as the most effective strategy. A colleague of mine - late twenties, college educated, generally nice guy - lives out in Sherwood (far edge of Portland metro area to the southwest) and told me a while back that he feels like a racist whenever black people come into his area because he never sees them there and can't help but glance/people watch. I remember doing the same thing in small town Montana as a teenager, and can you imagine how creepy and unsettling that must be for the person being eyeballed? Further, how should we take his admittance of embarrassment? Is it something that is fine to take at face value or should we question what other opinions/views/prejudices he's hiding beneath his outwardly progressive appearance.

I've spent some time hanging out in Tacoma, I don't find it to be that full of minorities, certainly more than I see up where I now live in Greenwood, but not really that much, census data indicates there's still a pretty big majority white population in that city http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/5370000.

I think DrNutt might just be living in a progressive bubble, which is nice but I imagine not indicative of most of the PNW. I too have a fairly diverse group of friends, but I don't think it's super common for most people.

xrunner posted:

I think there's something more though, otherwise we'd see similar trends in other pricey cities. I wonder if a lot of people are like my colleague and just don't know how to act around people of color without seeming awkward and creepy and overly polite in a way that comes across as condescension? I imagine it gets discomforting pretty quickly. I ask - and I'm curious - because I feel like this is a part of the conversation we need to have and change our behavior accordingly. Like its not enough to not say racist things and call them out when you hear them. We also need to figure out how we stop making people feel unwelcome as soon as they walk into the room.

There's a significant difference between the PNW (and maybe the Midwest) and the rest of the country. I don't know that being eyeballed is that foreign to most minorities, it's just part of everyday life (except for me now that I live in the PNW). I think there's definitely a lot of passive racism and that results in workplaces full of white people (probably also due to the lack of diverse candidates in the area). I've been lucky to work places where they do hire a diverse group, but any time I go to a conference or some industry meetup it's mostly middle age white folk. It makes sense, who else can afford all the 600k+ homes except for established older white folk who've lived here a while?

People are always surprised when I start speaking spanish or it comes up in conversation that my family is from Mexico, so I don't think I can really speak to what the average minority experiences in the PNW. I know when I go anywhere else in the country I am definitely not seen as white and in general my experience is just that people don't want to interact with you (except for cops).

coyo7e posted:

You make minorities stop feeling "unwelcome " by literally being both welcoming and willing to set yourself below them in terms of personal experiences. When you meet a 27 year old black woman working at Dari Mart who says she has been pulled over 35 times since she could drive.. you ask "why?" Instead of deciding internally that she must be a terrible, terrible driver.

You make minorities stop feeling "unwelcome" by moving Into their comfort zone, accepting their outlook as valid, and then asking for more info if you're not impinging.

I grew up in OR in the 90s and frankly the era does make a difference. It used to be that any professional party was full of racists, while today it's more contained to golf courses and high end business luncheons.

Having experienced what it's like to just be a white guy and also a hispanic person (albeit in different parts of the country), I agree with this strategy. I used to work at a company (in Seattle) where after the VP of operations learned that I was hispanic would say things like "you were born in a bean field" to me as a "joke", so it would just be nice to not have to pretend to laugh for fear of alienating myself with the rest of my team. It would also be nice to get some empathy when I tell people how many times cops beat me up and/or handcuffed me, instead of acting like I'm exaggerating or worse try to justify it by saying things like "well, you were a kid who probably got into trouble a lot". Sometimes I just omit that stuff so that I don't have to have awkward interactions with people.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Gross. There is a pro Trump rally in Oly on the 4th and the MAGAs are planning on 'packing heat' to protect themselves from 'violent liberals' this is how the civil war starts, not trump, not bannon, these idiots in the streets believing fake news and shooting unarmed activists.

Is it how civil war starts? It's just more status quo to me, people getting away with hurting/killing people who stand in their way and facing no consequences.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

If you think we should bring back psychiatric hospitals then you should probably just say that, instead of complaining about how we're wasting so much money on the indigent like some kind of pearl-clutcher.

He had to sit next to someone smelly on the bus though! We can't ignore the REAL issues here...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

quote:

I can’t think of another time when someone was shot in cold blood, who was not armed and was not committing a crime, that charges weren’t filed.

really? not one other time?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

It seems like this is getting pissed off just to be pissed off.

You think?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Did you not see the long post I made yesterday where I talked about the additional cost of being made to work long hours while admitting that it would be difficult to legislate properly?

Your concerns aren't realistic, if the idea is to impose an income tax on those earning over 50k it doesn't matter how hard it was to earn. Just because it was really hard work to earn 60k doesn't mean you should be exempt from taxes. Feel free to earn less money if you don't want to pay the tax, but I assure you that won't happen.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Funny, I was pretty loving clear about how unrealistic it would be to implement yet folks keep skipping that part of the post.

Please be more explicit, maybe people keep responding to your comments in a way you don't like because you're not being CLEAR.

SeaborneClink posted:

I don't understand why companies can't be "coerced" via payroll tax to give up the indentured servitude via overtime.

If they had to pay the employee 1.5x * $hourly and then 2.0x * $hourly on their payroll taxes, surely at some point it becomes more cost effective to hire another employee over working one to death.

They're clearly already done the calculus and 1.5x * $15 * 20hrs to move boxes around a warehouse comes out on their side almost 100% of the time.

Even at 1.5x hourly it's bad business to allow OT. You can't run a successful business if your payroll expenses are constantly above what you've budgeted for.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

oxbrain posted:

You just budget for the OT.

But why budget for OT when you could get the same work for less money if you just hire two hourly employees and split the time? Especially in cases like that liar earlier was saying, regularly having hourly employees work 70+ hours doesn't make good business sense.

I think we should start increasing payroll taxes well below the 40 hour mark. That way we drive total work hours down and hire more people. Pair that with a indexed minimum wage and were on our way to an ideal work week.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

There are cases were one can't. Some fields are sonofabitch to hire quickly for. An example, in my job there are things I do that only a couple hundred people in the world are credentialed for. It takes 3+ years to get a new hire up to speed. By the time we could staff up, things are in a trough again.

You have a job that takes 3+ years to get a new hire up to speed and it's hourly? That seems incredibly unlikely, and even if it were true it still makes sense to train multiple people up and split the work among more workers. If the job is so skilled that there are only a handful of people doing it and nobody would work the job part time then you're talking about a salaried position with lots of job security, at that point it would make sense to amortize your payroll expenses over the long term and staff for the peaks.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's ridiculous to base any policy on these weird edge cases.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

oxbrain posted:

It's super common in the skilled trades. I know plenty of machinists and welders that do 60+ almost every week. Some things just don't scale well. Either you don't have the space/equipment for more people or you'd have to add another shift and deal with all the poo poo that comes with.

And after benefits and administrative costs it's closer to a 20% increase from base pay.

I know plenty of machinists and welders, none of them are doing OT for years at a time. Certainly work comes in waves in those fields, but they don't consistently have a single person doing the job of two, that is why they hire apprentices ALL THE TIME.

I'm not really sure how you're coming to the conclusion that hiring hourly employees is administratively expensive... but maybe you haven't run a business before?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

Yeah. I get that, because unlike cars I guess RVs don't need to have expired licenses/be disabled for the city to issue a tow notice. What I'm curious about is whether it's bluster or if they're actually planning to follow through on it. It seems like a pretty drastic escalation of police harassment. It seems like it would be really likely to end up with people beaten up/shot when they don't exit the vehicle prior to a tow.

I heard there was a trail of needles and broken bottles around every occupied RV, you surely don't want my children to roll around in that, do you?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

quote:

The judge settled on 40 days, saying that Strickland can start serving it on weekends in August.

Seriously?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

They're the ones who specified it was a "utility knife" after nearly 24 hours to get their statement ready. Should we not take them at their word that it was a utility knife (aka a box cutter)?

Granted, even if it was a long blade I'd like to believe that our local police are trained to deescalate a situation where somebody is brandishing a loving knife and ignoring commands (note that they didn't say he lunged towards them or pointed the knife at them or whatnot). Police are pretty good at the word game and making the situation sound as dangerous as possible when there has been a shooting. The language they've chosen is pretty suspect.

But he was a drug user too! The media is definitely reporting that because it's important that we know what a loving scumbag this guy was.

The guy was running away when the cop murdered him, why is there any discussion at all about whether or not the cop was in immediate danger? The cop loving chased the guy and then when the pig got close he got scared and killed him. Even if the guy did "brandish" a utility knife, what about the situation makes it ok to murder him? Piece of poo poo cop chased someone and then murdered them because they were non-compliant.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Every paramedic and EMT I've known have been the biggest pieces of poo poo. They do the job not because they're helping people, they do it because they like seeing people die. I've seen these pieces of poo poo take pictures of dead/dying people and send it to each other so that they can laugh about it. The excuse was "well, you have to laugh because otherwise it's too sad"...

One of my old coworkers was an EMT and he used to tell stories about gruesome poo poo, as if anyone was asking for it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

George posted:

Don't forget all the stories about white people aiming guns at police and saying "I'm going to kill you" who were somehow arrested unmurdered.

They were just exercising their second amendment rights, not like those thugs who definitely deserved to be murdered.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Welcome to GBS posted:

Almost as neat as the department for violence that is unfortunate but often necessary.

I've been proposing this for a long time. Just take guns away from the average cop and rely on SWAT or some new group for situations that require lethal force. That way you don't have a bunch of poorly trained psychos running around with guns and the ones who do have them would be the trained to a much higher degree.

There are practically no cases where a cop arrives on the scene and saves the day because they have a gun. I'm not against guns, I just think people create fantasies about how effective they are at saving lives, people legitimately say things like "if only someone with a gun were there to stop them".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Senor P. posted:

Be careful what you wish for... Violence goes both ways and we really don't need a civil war right now.

So when is a good time?

Senor P. posted:

A more mindful approach would be having people actual call this poo poo out in public and deal with it in a good fashion.

[EDIT]

right...

Senor P. posted:

There is only one way things end well and everyone gets to go home unhurt. Then there are about 2 dozen other ways they can end badly.

As long as you're white you can definitely get by with just ignoring it, sure... it must be really nice for it to just be a moral dilemma for you.

Senor P. posted:

We're all in it for the long haul, and the white super majority will slowly fade away with time.

It's easy for those who've never been a target to sit around and wait for things to get better.

Reene posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/869382038758973440

Meanwhile Wheeler in an unexpected but belated expression of good judgment has denied city permits to neonazi and white supremacist rallies for June 4th and 10th now that they've made national news for murdering two people.

I don't see why anyone is even bothering to speak out about this poo poo anymore, as if the issue has anything to do with exposure. I think there's some mass delusion happening, people think conservatives/the people in power are just unaware of what it looks like.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

herbaceous backson posted:

There are quite a few students saying things like this, as well:

As a minority I hear poo poo like this all the time from individual minorities, and I can say with certainty that they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about. As a minority you face backlash anytime you speak out, and you learn to just stay quiet and accept the world as it is, to do otherwise would mean constantly getting into fights with people over "nothing". I'm not saying they have or haven't experienced any racism at evergreen, but you can't take the word of someone who's interesting in keeping the peace more than those who are speaking out.

If the bar is not being called a spic or looked at like you're sub-human then why complain at all, right?

herbaceous backson posted:

Again, I'm not suggesting that there's no racism at Evergreen, just that they seemed to have rushed to judgement with this professor.

Everyone involved could stand to tone down the hyperbole a notch or two.

Why are you so concerned about this professor? All it would take for him to not be in the spotlight is to apologize and not speak about a subject he clearly does not understand or care to understand. He chose to speak and people are responding to what he's said, tough poo poo, that's what free speech is.

Peachfart posted:

This is heresy in this thread.

It must be really easy to hold the stance that everything is fine and that everyone is just overreacting, that way you don't have to feel like a piece of poo poo for doing nothing and not caring about it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I think the best example of a peaceful protest in recent memory would be the DAPL water protectors. Despite being unarmed they faced overwhelming violence, and it's very likely that if they employed violence in any capacity they would have been wiped out, the media would have helpfully explained to everyone that they got what was coming to them, and the pipeline would have been built anyway.

And the best example of a non-peaceful protest would be the Malheur wildlife refuge occupation.

I'm not sure what your point is, but the DAPL was built, there was even an executive order to expedite it. The non-peaceful "protestors" at the wildlife refuge won since they were tried and acquitted of all federal charges.

So what we can learn from this? If you're white and want to be violent you can do so and win, but if you're brown and you're non-violent you lose. Which I guess is being reflected in this thread, trying to justify our current way of life as if it can't be changed without the death of countless people or the rise of an even worse regime.

I just don't understand why we can't have a functioning society, did other socialist democracies have to have a violent revolution to get where they're at? What's the history in places like Sweden and Norway? I'm sure they weren't always like that, why can't we move in that direction? Why are some of you so adamant about preserving the status quo? I guess life is probably pretty good for you, so much that you're willing to just accept that hundreds of people are being killed by police each year and that families are going hungry and into debt because they can't afford access to healthcare and other basic services.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I believe that there is a difference between protest and revolution.

I'm just saying protesting clearly isn't enough, we need to accept that we may need a revolution and be willing to move in that direction if necessary. But I'm certain if people were actually willing to make a change it would happen, without a revolution even. What is being asked for isn't anything unrealistic or absurd. I'm just lamenting the fact that so many people (even those in this thread) are talking about this poo poo like it's crazy to even bring it up.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Oh, is this the part of the thread where we purity test everyone and leftism further shrinks into irrelevance? Neat.

Personally I believe that you can have an argument about methodology without immediately accusing everyone of being class traitors and such, but given the extremely effective history of leftist protests I'm sure you all know best.

Feel free to argue about methodology, right now all you seem to be doing is making sarcastic remarks and dismissing any talk that you find too extreme. Sorry if it feels like a "purity test" to you, but feel free to gently caress off unless you are actually interested in talking about the state of our society.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Sure. If you want full communism now, consider not immediately attacking the regular left as these people usually agree 90% with you.
And you will need all the allies you can get, considering this country elected Donald Trump as president. And maybe, just maybe, we can move this country leftwards.
And for those of you who think that all we need to do is revolt and magically leftist policies will appear, it is far more likely that the better funded and more powerful far right will simply dispense with any pretense of democracy and just take over.

Who attacked you? Who is attacking the left at all? What about a socialist platform is so unreasonable to the "regular left"? Are you sure you don't mean the "right" when you say "regular left"? I'm not really sure how you expect liberal/progressive socialist programs will magic into existence if people like you keep shooting them down as unrealistic.

What is your proposed solution if any attempt to move left will just be quashed by the "powerful far right"? To me it just seems like you're saying there is no solution and any movement towards a solution is pointless.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Come on, the last few pages have been nothing more than a giant, circular firing squad. We have people seriously talking about full blown revolution while making GBS threads on those who are actually in the government actively working to make things better.

Why are folks so concerned about trying to score rhetorical points and verbally burn people who likely agree on 99% of poo poo to begin with? What does that loving accomplish?

Maybe you're reading something I'm not? I'm not sure what "firing squad" you're talking about. Be explicit, cite examples, I honestly am not sure who you think is being attacked.

Who's asking for points? What is disagreeable about what is being said?

anthonypants posted:

In spite of Friday's murders, the nazis will get their rally this weekend

Meanwhile they cancel BLM protests because scary black people might be there...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Y'all wanna stop being treated like an obstacle? Then stop being an obstacle.

I recently saw this oatmeal comic that explains in a simple way why these people feel like they're being attacked. They're being faced with information that's contrary to their belief so they interpret it as an attack and lash out.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

I'm assuming these people are just having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their point of view is flawed and they need to start getting on board with the reality of what's happening.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

In the last several pages there were folks who believed that anyone who wanted decent wages to be maintained for police were a traitor to the cause, RuanGacho in particular was poo poo on for trying to talk about community policing where he works.

Got it, you think pointing out the atrocities of cops is being poo poo on? Nobody poo poo on RuanGacho, they were responding to his questions and explaining the situation.

Solkanar512 posted:

Then we had others who screamed about meltdowns when I pointed out the Sawant was an imperfect actor and advocated that unionized blue color labor needs to revolt against their employers and armed guards and unionized white color labor should be left to the wolves. We get it, lots of you think Everett is a complete shithole filled with rednecks and 4x4 trucks but maybe if you got to know a few of these folks you'd realize it's a lot more diverse than it first appears and you could gain a whole lot of needed support.

Have you considered that you're wrong about Sawant? Maybe she doesn't know exactly how to deal with the situation at Boeing but the sentiment of workers taking production into their own hands seems perfectly fine to me. The alternative is more of what's happening right now, the dissolution of unions and movement of skilled jobs to areas that are less impacted by workers rights. But hey, I wouldn't want you to take this as an ATTACK, because that's surely the real problem.

Solkanar512 posted:

I mean come on, we're all leftists here. Not everyone is going to be living in downtown Seattle or Portland, but that doesn't mean they don't hold leftist views.

Maybe we're not "all leftists here", because your point of view is not shared by all, certainly not if you look at the voting record in the "leftist" areas you think are being excluded. You are arguing for the status quo, pretending like we'll achieve our goals by just holding out a little longer is bullshit.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

No, dipshit. I'm recognizing that cutting police wages to federal minimums won't stop them from murdering people of color. Several people poo poo all over RuanGacho because he dared to claim that he was making things better.

Quote it, I'm clearly not seeing what you're seeing.

Solkanar512 posted:

Putting words into my mouth and engaging in strawman fallacies is exactly the sort of circular firing squad I'm talking about here.

Hah, right, you've really got a way with hyperbole.

Solkanar512 posted:

All she loving had to do is talk to one of us. But no, she couldn't bother to even do that before using us as props. She couldn't be bothered to meet members of the largest unions in the PNW. By the way, there are plenty of other alternatives but folks like you aren't willing to discuss them and just want to chase off those who do.

Instead of whining about nobody listening to your great ideas maybe you could post the idea and we can talk about it?

Solkanar512 posted:

And how many times are you and others going to say "take the means of production" without telling us how? "Just rise up and take the means of production!" I already told you that the guards are armed, and that we can't just keep producing planes that the FAA will certify on our own. You think this is some trivial exercise that has no real risk. My wife would be dead without my healthcare, so if you think I'm being lovely for acting like an adult you can go gently caress yourself.

What's your answer?

You strike.

But you're not going to do that because your employer has your nearly dead wife as leverage against you. When I say you're arguing for the status quo this is exactly what I'm talking about. You've created a situation where any disruption in your life is life or death, because of that you're unwilling to accept that the people you're railing against right now are the ones trying to help you. I understand you're afraid of losing your job and your health insurance, but slowly suffocating the working class isn't going to save you.

Solkanar512 posted:

The greater Everett area is solid blue so you're making poo poo up there. You can't be bothered to quote me once "arguing for the status quo", so you're making poo poo up there as well.

Now you're really full of poo poo, Snohomish county is barely blue, look up the voting history and compare that to other counties that are actually "solid blue".

Solkanar512 posted:

Let me know you want to discuss this in good faith.

You're the one making up poo poo about strawmen and firing squads, use your words and tell us what you think the solution is.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Are you suggesting that disarming the police would be a viable alternative in this country?

Liberals look at me wide eyed any time I make that kind of suggestion in person, they say things like "oh, you're SUPER liberal" like it's an insane thing to not be ok with hundreds of people being killed by police every year.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Like, sure, have them in your car if you are approaching a situation where it might be needed but don't just default to guns out on every stop.

I would prefer if normal cops just didn't have them at all and would be prosecuted if they were caught using a gun in any official capacity. In the vast majority of active shooter situations police are calling for backup anyway, why not train a small percentage of the police force in firearms and de-escalation for those situations? We already have SWAT teams, why not just create some standards and use them only when necessary?

DevNull posted:

This argument only works if you think there is no connection between these neo-nazi rallies and a neo-nazi murdering 2 people.

The ACLU is not a liberal organization nor a watchtower for injustice, they are literally only there to provide legal services in civil liberty cases. All of this is on their website and they are clear what their goals are.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Maybe if those people in the $200k+ bracket ought to stop wasting their money on iPhones and wine and steak, and just live reasonably

But you don't understand, my million dollar mortgage and 3 car loans means I'm actually worse off than someone making 20k/year!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Well, you know she had a knife and it could have been a trick calling about a burglary to get cops there to murder THEM in front of her kids.

Well, she was black so of course she was dangerous, all the news headlines have made that clear.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

A law I am OK with being actively enforced.

I'm sure increased enforcement won't disproportionately affect minorities...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

It is actually pretty loving rude when you clowns think it's good to crowd the right lane and ignore anyone who wants to merge into that lane, to include people who are merging from an onramp, or who are merging to take an offramp.

I don't think you understand, he's saying "if the world worked like it does in my mind there would be no problem, so what are you complaining about?".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

The world literally does work like that. I'm sorry you are unable to drive in a legal fashion.

I don't have trouble driving, I'm just pointing out that other people have trouble and no matter how many articles and laws you post isn't going to change the fact that there is a problem and pretending like it's fine is the reason poo poo doesn't get improved.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

??? I said that merging can be fixed with better merging lanes, and my only claim was that the left lane is the passing lane and that you must move over.

So advocating for more police enforcement before your "better merging lanes" fix is doing what? Also telling people the law as it is doesn't address the problem either. Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension, I'm saying you aren't offering solutions, all you're doing is telling people how they're wrong and "here's why".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

It's not about being punitive, it's about hoping the action will act as a deterrent against left lane squatters. Why does that seem reasonable? Because literally every other city in the US has this driving norm and it works.

Police enforcement of traffic laws has/does not reduce traffic accidents or improve traffic in any way. This state already has laws regarding the left lane, and maybe you're just not very attentive but all over the US people ignore this law. It does not work regardless of where you live in this country, sorry to burst your bubble, but every city has bad drivers, we aren't exceptionally bad compared to other cities. Increasing enforcement only serves to punish people and like I said earlier, it'll probably target minorities.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

Have you called the CDC to let them know they're wrong about this?

Are you making a joke or something? What does the CDC have to do with traffic enforcement?

There have been plenty of studies about this in this country and in other countries. It's well known that police enforcement of traffic laws doesn't do jack poo poo, if you want to improve traffic and reduce traffic accidents it takes urban/transportation planning. At best police enforcement of traffic laws has no effect, at worst studies show it increases the number of accidents.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GodFish posted:

I just have to deal with heat stroke in the summer and hypothermia in the winter as I play the "will the bus arrive?" game

Better than playing the 300/mo just to park game, really doesn't seem reasonable to drive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

marxismftw posted:

That is, unless we are operating on the assumption that every single law enforcement policy and procedure exists purely as an excuse to oppress minorities.

Maybe not an excuse to oppress minorities directly, but certainly a way to appeal to straight white males. Did you notice how these left lane guys are so militant about it? Why do you think the police force is promoting that? Do you think police don't know who this kind of public declaration of enforcement appeals to?

But regardless of the targets any action by police calling for stricter enforcement is just code to fragile whites to garner support. I say "gently caress the police" and a people will come out of the woodwork all day to say "my step-newphew-in-law is a police officer and he's not a bad cop", they do that because they've been conditioned to see police as moral and anyone negatively impacted by them as immoral. So really ask yourself why is there a public campaign about enforcing a law that hasn't changed and who is most likely to suffer for it?