Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

No Pants posted:

I just did some driving, and I'm glad they're enforcing this obscure law.

It's literally on the driving test, it's not an "obscure law".

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/docs/driverguide-en.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

No Pants posted:

Maybe they should make the fucks everyone had to pass on the right re-take the test!

Here's a suggestion, go the speed limit or bellow and maybe you wont be endangering peoples lives by passing on the right.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

marxismftw posted:

They do public enforcement campaigns on all sorts of stuff, from HOV violations, late merging, drunk driving, speeding, and now this. They get complaints, State Patrol doesn't have the resources/manpower/willpower to ticket it on a regular basis, so they do public awareness campaigns to remind everyone, that yes, it is still against the law.

They have all the resources they need right now to apply the law as it is, unfairly to minorities, without notice or a public campaign. Why do you assume this is targeted oppression rather than the opposite? After 15 years of driving on PWN highways, left lane campers that I notice are almost exclusively elderly and white. You could argue that there is something fundamentally unfair about warning white people ahead of time that they might get busted, but that assumes that everyone is equally ignorant of the law and that minorities aren't on notice about other crimes that they are disproportionately targeted for. Such a point of view would ignore that the purpose of the increased enforcement and public relations campaign is not to give out more tickets, but to remind people that it's illegal in the first place.

There's tons of issues with racism and policing in Washington, but it seems weird to try and make this specific circumstance part of it.

I disagree, I think all police publicity campaigns are not meant to raise awareness but rather to make fragile whites feel like the police aren't a bunch of racist murderers. If enough people wear their seat belts I guess we can't fault the police for executing a minority every once in a while, they just want the best for us!

As long as police look like noble warriors to the right people they'll never be held accountable for their crimes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

Road safety and traffic law enforcement publicity campaigns (the most effective being seatbelt and drunk driving enforcement) save lives. The only nefarious purpose they serve is keeping morons from killing themselves and others.

I agree that seatbelts save lives and also not drunk driving saves lives, but where is the data that shows police enforcement of these laws is significantly helpful vs the publicly funded campaigns against things like drunk driving and no seat belts.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration pays for these public campaigns, police didn't do jack poo poo. It's like claiming police did such a great job of reducing smoking in this country because they enforced the non-smoking area laws so well, it's just not true, the police didn't do jack poo poo. Show me that police enforcement helps do anything except harm minorities and the poor and I'll praise them but so far I haven't seen that to be the case.

Back in I think the 80s or 90s there was a study (done by the FBI maybe?) that quantified what police do day to day and the vast majority of their job is paperwork and traffic enforcement, reports since that time are now filled with confusing jargon and complex statistical data that a layman would have a hard time understanding. I don't think they did that on accident. If police were portrayed and exposed as what they really are they would get the level of respect they deserve and I think that's why there's this narrative that police are "heroes", because otherwise people would be in favor of doing things like taking guns away from average police officers.

edit: increased enforcement doesn't reduce crimes, prevent accidents, improve traffic, make people safer, none of this poo poo is improved by increased police enforcement. It makes fragile white pearl clutchers feel safe and all it's doing is harming minorities.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 21, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

twodot posted:

Like almost the first sentence in the first link?

Places were cops pull people over for not using a seat belt have higher seat belt use rates.

Where is the data? I clicked all over that loving page and didn't find the data. Unless your point is "well they said it was true so it must be".

Edit: As an example of how these laws do nothing except give more excuses for cops to go after minorities, New Hampshire has no seat belt laws and not-surprisingly (at least to me) the percentage of adults who wear seat belts is just as high as states with primary laws. Their traffic fatality rate is also lower than the national average. My point isn't that publicity campaigns don't work, it's that police enforcement doesn't work. Increasing police enforcement will always lead to harm, usually towards minorities.

Treat these pigs like the scum they are, maybe then people won't defend these murderers and let them get away with all the harm that they do. If we want cops to do a good job we need to be realistic about what they can and cant do, police enforcement doesn't solve poo poo, put money towards anything else and it will have greater and more positive impact.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 21, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

Here's the data from the seatbelt link (located under the large-font "*Sources" at the bottom of list of measures) and here's the data from the drunk driving page. They're the 7th and 8th editions of the same government report titled "Countermeasures That Work: A Highway Safety Countermeasure Guide For State Highway Safety Offices".

Did you bother to read through any of the links you posted?

For drunk driving they show a basically no change for two decades despite many enforcement campaigns and laws intended to reduce drunk driving. Including sobriety checkpoints which didn't exist before and we know they target minorities disproportionately. They start out telling you what they've done is ineffective and then switch to a "star system" to prove effectiveness to hide that fact, instead of using actual numbers to show what is effective and what isn't.

For seat belt usage they make the claim that "The strategy’s three components – laws, enforcement, and publicity – cannot be separated: effectiveness decreases if any one of the components is weak or missing" but then fail to acknowledge the one state with no seat belt laws and the fact that they saw the same improvements without any enforcement. They don't go into detail about enforcement here but they cite a couple sources that agree with their initial statement and those studies don't address the issues I've brought up.

Either way none of this addresses my core issue, these studies aren't showing me that enforcement is necessary or effective.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Yeah I guess we just shouldn't enforce any laws ever. Now that we all agree can we talk about that poor mentally ill pregnant lady that got shot by police, the Oregon legislative session, or literally anything else?

Other countries do just fine with less police enforcement, they use deterrent programs and have stricter licensing requirements.

Feel free to talk about police murdering minorities, all I'm seeing right now is a bunch of people defending police because they're mad about people driving too slow.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

No, you are projecting really hard because you seem to be unable to talk about anything other than cops=bad.

Maybe "projecting" isn't the concept you're looking for? Are you sure you don't mean biased? I'll admit I am biased as I am a Mexican who's been pulled over for things as ridiculous as being in the left lane too long.

therobit posted:

Don't drive like a dipshit and you won't have to worry any more than you would otherwise.

Nice, I haven't heard people tell me that before... "Just stop doing X and maybe you won't be a target", it's the mating call of the "racism isn't real" know it all.

therobit posted:

It is pretty well established that the entire legal system discriminates against minorities. It has very little to do with public awareness and enforcement campaigns to get left lane grannies like Anthonypants to move the gently caress over.

It's well established and documented that enforcement initiatives like seat belt laws disproportionately target minorities, but in this case it's different because you hate grannies so much? Let me assure you that in your affluent white neighborhood left lane drivers won't see a change, but in the areas where police patrol often there will be an effect. I suppose you already know that and that's why you don't have a problem with it?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

I am saying you are projecting your suspcions of what people think onto them. Nobody is "defending cops" here. We do, however belive that some level of enforcement of traffic laws increases compliance with tjem and yes, we hate people who hog the left lane because they are assholes.

I don't have to project anything on anyone, by asking for police enforcement you're asking for murderers and racists to act. Maybe in your mind you're saying "I want only the GOOD cops to enforce laws", but that isn't the world we live in, you can't pick which cops enforce which laws. All we know is that police action has a negative impact on minorities (and the poor) so the only actions we should be championing are those that make life safer for minorities and anyone else who is negatively impacted by police action. You're implicitly giving police a pass when you ask them to act on your behalf, you're assuming it will be a good thing because "cops are good (at least sometimes)" and you're wrong.

therobit posted:

I am sorry that police have mistreated you. I don't think that the solution is to end all policing. From a social change perspective, if you engage police with an "us vs them" mentality it is not likely to bode well for getting them to listen to you or change. That isn't fair and it sucks, but it is a reality.

I never once said to "end all policing", though I wouldn't be opposed to it if someone could show it is effective. I don't agree that being hostile towards cops won't change anything, violence and war has changed more than peace ever has. You must be living in an ideal mind reality because actual reality doesn't care if you're friends with your oppressors. When police are murdering people like you by the thousands feel free to lecture me on the virtues of working together instead of calling out these pieces of poo poo for their crimes. As if treating them with anything but contempt is going to make anyone see the problem. All you're doing by promoting "peace" is prolonging the status quo.

quote:

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 21, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

Oh thank god, it had been eight whole pages since someone pulled out that MLK quote.

gently caress MLK, right?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Something must be wrong with your request, mine shows these results using the same criteria that you specified.

quote:

2000 - 2015, United States
Legal Intervention Injury Deaths and Rates per 100,000
All Races, Both Sexes, All Ages
ICD-10 Codes: Y35,Y89.0

Number of Deaths: 6,985
Population***: 4,837,059,821
Crude Rate: 0.14
Age-Adjusted Rate**: 0.15

Download Results in a Spreadsheet (CSV) File Help with Download

Reports for All Ages include those of unknown age.

* Rates based on 20 or fewer deaths may be unstable. Use with caution.

** Standard Population is 2000, all races, both sexes.

*** Population estimates are aggregated for multi-year reports to produce rates.

Produced by: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC
Data Source: NCHS Vital Statistics System for numbers of deaths. Bureau of Census for population estimates.

herbaceous backson posted:

Or the WA Posts fatal police shootings database, here.

The data seem to show pretty clearly that there's implicit bias at work, and police perceive unarmed black citizens as greater threats, but characterizing them as pigs who all get their rocks off murdering people of color doesn't seem like a productive line of argument.

The rate is higher for minorities, sure, but acting like people of color are being murdered in the streets while white criminals are given a free pass is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not really sure what your point is? Do you expect me to look at these numbers and think "you know what, it's not so bad"? Do you think my problem is that they're not killing enough white people? I've been very clear that police are targeting both minorities and the poor, but even if they were targeting rich white people I don't see why I should be ok with what they're doing. Maybe if people saw them as pigs who get their rocks off murdering people maybe thousands of people wouldn't be dead?

The fact that people respect police so much that they are allowed to get away with literal murder and people can't stop justifying it is what drives me crazy. It's not even just that they're killing people, they also ruin lives daily and nobody cares. When people like me are asking people to care it's because it doesn't seem like anyone does care. When I speak out about this stuff all I get is people tripping over themselves to show me some proof that it isn't as bad as I think it is, why is that?

sidebar: I think it's hilarious that Mike Huckabee is arguing that "more white people have been shot by police officers", meanwhile any time they want to show how dangerous minorities are they use per-capita stats

herbaceous backson posted:

Anyway, the transcripts from the Charleena Lyles shooting have been released:

Maybe someone with more direct knowledge of policing can answer this, but I still don't understand why they strolled up to her apartment like there was nothing to worry about.

Both of the officers mention her mental health issues and an "officer safety caution" in the transcript. Is it asking too much for them to plan ahead and bring along something like a Taser for an interaction like this? Or better yet, a mental health professional?

Because they are cops and their reaction and training is to kill when they feel afraid.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 22, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Honestly I think tasers and stun guns are bad things to give to police. Either someone presents enough of a threat that you should shoot them, or else you should try to subdue them with a club or your hands. I remember reading at one time that tasers tend not to be used as a less lethal alternative to firearms, but rather they get used in situations that previously would not have involved firearms and are used as a compliance tool when someone could otherwise be held, talked down, beat up, or possibly even not engaged physically.

edit: there was a ruling about this by the 4th circuit court of appeals. Just google "tasers as compliance tool" or similar and you will see a bunch of articles about this.

Just take their guns away, maybe then they wont stroll into a place like it's no big deal and then freak out and kill someone when things get out of control.

SeaborneClink posted:

And yet here we are now advocating beating people Rodney King style for compliance what a time to be alive!

B-b-but why didn't they just shoot the knife out of her hand?!

This loving thread.

People love to justify police force, they're brainwashed into thinking cops are something they aren't.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 23, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Nah I'm talking about country cousins from tri cities, walla walla, etc.

Considering the whole "warsh" thing is a east/south US thing I'm going to say you're just full of poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

McDonald's is notorious for being strict with the way it handles franchises. They are incredibly tight fisted about their image, and I bet a franchisee would get their rear end chew out for editorializing like that in a drive thru window.

The McDonald's at northgate in Seattle also has a sign, it's pretty hosed up considering they just remodeled it and are now blaming the employees for the high prices.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nessin posted:

Again, as I pointed out, the study says they worked off single site business data from the state. Franchises that are owned locally, and not directly by the franchise corporate HQ, will almost always report as a single site business. McDonalds and Burger King definitely fit into that category. Now there may be some individual locations that were left out because a single owner may own multiple stores and I don't know enough about the legalities of business ownership in WA to say how those would be reported, so some may have been left out for that reason. Regardless of the reasoning for why they excluded multi-site locations it is a straight up falsehood, assuming the creators of the report aren't lying, to say that the report excludes fast food/franchise companies like McDonalds.

Considering McDonald's itself says the average franchisee owns 5 units I think you're grasping at straws here.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nessin posted:

If the raw data that shows that is available somewhere I haven't found it. The draft report doesn't got to that level on the UW site.

The data they use is all referenced in the study, this particular study is a meta-analysis so you're not going to get any data that wasn't generated from analysis of other studies and data.

nessin posted:

That when you submit your employee records to the state you can choose to do so for each site owned by the company individually or as a collective whole (probably some level in between as well I'd imagine).

Spoken like someone who's never run a business before. Maybe you should read up on how this actually works before you go making assumptions about how this works?

nessin posted:

Ah yes, technically incorrect but close enough to debunk a study. Unfortunately I can't really refute this point because a lot of people in the scientific community are happy to accept it as well. Led to some good times in the past, like the recent period where Europe and the US spent over a decade collectively deciding we didn't need to drug test women.

You're making the claim that they didn't exclude franchises based on the criteria laid out in the study, but McDonalds refutes that themselves saying that the average franchisee owns 5 franchises... not sure what your issue with my statement is? I'm not sure what drug testing women has to do with anything?

nessin posted:

I'm just responding to the common issues brought up against it.

anthonypants posted:

"I'm just asking questions!!!"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nessin posted:

You're assuming there are no franchise restaurants reporting as a single site, which isn't necessarily true because there could be an owner who only owns one facility or reports individually instead of collectively. In either of those cases that data would be in the study and thus the study is including them. Which means you're okay just assuming that it's good enough to say the study excludes franchises because the expectation is that there aren't enough representatives from the franchise industry to make the case, even if franchises are not specifically excluded.

Firstly that isn't how you file taxes for a business. You don't just choose to file things how you feel like, it's important how you file since it will affect your taxes depending on where you conduct business. So unless you're saying franchise owners are committing tax fraud at such a rate that it's skewing the results of the study I'm not sure what your point is.

Secondly, the study itself is purposefully excluding restaurants and such like McDonald's. They make the claim that if they include larger companies the net effect nears 0, what they are studying is the impact of minimum wage increases in very specific cases. Specifically non-franchise single location businesses, these are the criteria of their study, they aren't trying to talk about every employer in the city.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nessin posted:

You may not have seen it because I edited it in, but to your point about my response I was quoted the text from the study, not the law, and thus I interpreted that text. You seem to be saying here that the study text is wrong. Which is fine, I'll accept that, but that doesn't seem to be a common thread in response to the study. Furthermore they say their data comes straight from Washington's Employment Security Department which includes the capability of splitting up records as stated in the text, so whether it's legal or not apparently WA lets them do it that way.

I don't know where to look it up by my assumption was that the employment security department data must come from BLS filing data.

nessin posted:

Second, I'm not going to quote the big block of text to avoid bloating the forum but if you look the first five paragraphs of section 4, starting on page 12 of the link below, there is no statement of leaving out franchise data and your explanation of the net effect is one single sentence in a paragraph talking about how multi-site firms may adjust to the effect and how the employment results "may therefore be biased towards zero." That's it.

Considering that whole paragraph and section is about their data selection criteria I think it's a little more than one little line and "that's it". I made the leap to include franchises because that is the type of business that they are excluding, they don't have to call out every type of business, they made it clear what types of businesses are being excluded in their selection criteria and that one line is their justification...

nessin posted:

http://papers.nber.org/tmp/1717-w23532.pdf

Furthermore I will quote this one section (page 14, middle paragraph, last line):

According to them their dataset includes more than half of the total workforce. If the other 38% excluded from the study is doing so much better off as to offset the overall results of the study does that actually invalidate the study? Unless the case can be made that Seattle has a significant difference in distribution of businesses than the average of the state.

I didn't make the claim that the remaining 38% they excluded offsets the study, they said the reason to exclude these businesses is because it biases the result compared to the specific types of businesses they are studying.

I'm not going to sit here and analyze this whole paper with you since I'm not qualified to make decisions based on it. I just disagree with your initial argument calling criticism of this study bullshit. I think the study has merit, and they've done some good research, but pretending like it's proof that $15/h min wage is bad is far from the truth. People in this thread have already responded about how less work hours and more pay is still more beneficial than slightly higher total pay but more work hours. The study itself says:

quote:

Consequently, total payroll fell for such jobs, implying that
the minimum wage ordinance lowered low-wage employees’ earnings by an average of $125 per
month in 2016. Evidence attributes more modest effects to the first wage increase. We estimate
an effect of zero when analyzing employment in the restaurant industry at all wage levels,
comparable to many prior studies

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

It sounds like a way for landlords to claim that they're being unfairly persecuted, and that's why they need to raise rents. What we need is rent control.

Landlords don't need an excuse though, as long as demand is higher than supply they'll just keep raising the rent.

Rent control would be nice but are there any negative effects? Does it cause ghettos? Prevent development or something? Why isn't it promoted more and/or is there any opposition to he idea? Does mandating a percentage of new developments be low income solve the same problem?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

call to action posted:

Anyone who thinks a tax levied on non-citizens is automatically "racist" is a moron

Anyone who doesn't understand why this is racist is probably a racist.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

As someone living in Seattle that has had their rent go up 50% in the last 18 months I can say that landlords will use any excuse to jack the rent.

building maintenance/Property taxes/Wind shifts to the left 3 degrees on a Sunday

It sounds like your rent may have been increased illegally. If you have an existing lease they are not allowed to change the terms of that lease, that's true in all of Washington. In Seattle proper they're also required to give you a 60 day notice of a rent increase over 10% or more in a 12 month period.

Quick google gives me this page, seems to cover everything that you would need to get your rent reduced http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/rule-changes-rent-increases

If I were you I'd start looking for a new place to live though...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, if you're coming at this from an imaginary scenario where only corporations and landlords are allowed to own property because someone needs to profit from it, then it makes sense why you keep coming to these bizarre, twisted conclusions, and also why you'll dismiss any alternative out of hand.

But why would anyone want to build a house if not to exploit someone else's needs for profit? You don't think people would just build homes to live in, would they?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I think the fact that there is somehow a way to provide housing without falling under the umbrella of afford to buy or gently caress you is actually very relevant to this discussion. Or is this another situation where we can't have it tomorrow so why bother envisioning it?

Banks already pay for property, I don't see any reason they shouldn't be involved during construction (I feel like they must be involved already). It would be pretty simple to have a development "co-op" go to a bank and say "we have X number of pre-approved customers and we want to build X building for this much". Seems like it would work out for everyone, you could just have people register/get pre-approved for a home and build according to demand. You wouldn't even have to build it to order, just create a fund that people pay their "mortgage" into that actually pays for new development and people can just shop for any home like normal.

Javid posted:

Vacancy tax so steep that it's literally cheaper to let someone move in rent free than maintain an empty unit. This includes people who own multiple houses. Proceeds go towards low income rent subsidies.

I wonder how much of a problem unoccupied units actually are. I get that sometimes units go un-rented because it might be better to wait a while for someone willing to pay the advertised price... but at some point they have to rent it out otherwise it's a poor investment. I'm not so sure that this would have much impact on rent or number of available units. I'd like to see some data on that.

Javid posted:

Seizure of bank-owned housing that's unoccupied for longer than [to be determined number of months]. Housing is meant to be lived in, period, not held empty. Seized houses are either auctioned with strict limits on who can bid (families of the appropriate size to occupy said house who either do not own a house, or are trying to leave a shittier house) or bulldozed to put up denser housing.

I get this idea too but there are plenty of reasons why you can't rent out a house that have nothing to do with sitting on it until it appreciates. Sometimes you're waiting on funding to do a remodel or teardown. Sometimes you're waiting until other purchases come through to start development across multiple lots. Sometimes you have work or family issues that take you away from your home for extended amounts of time. I don't think if you're paying for your house and keeping up with the taxes that the government should be allowed to take your home for any reason. It seems like it could be used in nefarious ways. Also how do you prove a house is unoccupied anyway?

Javid posted:

Caps on deposit requirements to move in. The average person for whom this is a problem probably doesn't have 5 grand in the bank just to be monopolized in security deposits, nor should they have to. Fixing poo poo a tenant breaks is just a cost of doing business.

That would be nice, or maybe just require landlords to have insurance to cover whatever the deposit supposedly is being used for and get rid of this whole deposit bullshit altogether.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

twodot posted:

You cut off my post because you are either an idiot or a jerk. Universal basic income should be used to care for children if guardians think that's the best use of their income. Failing that universal time off should be used by guardians to care for their children if they think that's the best use of their time off. If guardians think they need extra time and money from the state just because they decided to care for children? gently caress them. (edit: To be double clear, this in no way precludes having subsidized childcare for those who need it) (edit2: Nor does it preclude being employed by the state to be a caregiver, though claiming you need to time off from your job to do your job seems tenuous).
edit3:

Funding public schooling ensures every resident has an education. Requiring that finance quants that just got a baby get time off does nothing for the public good.

What is your point? That everyone should have the same amount of time off regardless if they have children or not? If that is indeed your point I think you're way off base. Society and our economy only works because of population growth, having children is important both socially and economically. If people have children they should be given time to care for those children, especially in the first few months after birth when it's the most difficult time for new parents.

Parents aren't having a vacation when taking parental leave, it's not time off to rest and have a good time. If you think it's unfair I'm certain there are opportunities to volunteer to take care of another person who can't feed or clean themselves and require constant supervision and care, take all the time you need.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 7, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Have you considered that a large portion of people for whom it would be feasible to purchase a home have already done so?

Many people who are currently renting would not be able to afford to own, and that isn't just about base price. Maintenence on a huoldingnis significant. If we are talking about them purchasing, some of them will be completely unable to secure financing due to credit history or debt to income ratios. If you are suggesting we just transfer property to them then you can come out and say that, but you are doing a really poor job of staking out a position.

As a home owner I can say with certainty that anyone paying rent can afford a home, my mortgage is less than an equivalent rental would be. Even a one bedroom apartment would be affordable to most people who rent an equivalent space. The only thing stopping people is consistent financial history and several thousands of dollars of down payment.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

The wider society benefits currently, but as I have repeatedly said, even our current population will be unsustainable in fifty years, and we will see millions and even billions die from starvation and conflict over basic resources. Unless you are ultra rich or powerful you are literally dooming your child to this fate. And even then, being rich and powerful will only buy you a head start once society starts collapsing.

Save future generations from suffering and kill yourself, it's the only noble thing to do. You wouldn't want to be here in 50 years anyway, it's too grim.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Reene posted:

I mean he's not wrong if rent payments vs mortgage payments are literally the only thing you are looking at!

Being a homeowner is so tough guys, you wouldn't want to live this hell, I'm constantly replacing roofs and hot water heaters, it totally makes sense for you to just pay me and I'll take care of it... where does the money come from to fix all these things? I just have a kind heart and love to spend my own money to help people!

I used to rent a house in Bellevue for about 2600~, I now have a home and my mortgage including taxes and insurance and everything ends up being just a smidge under 2k/mo. Even with the about 5-10k I put into my house every year since I've owned it to improve it I'm still paying about the same or less than what I paid at my Bellevue rental. I've replaced all the windows with triple pane, upgraded to a tankless water heater and replaced all the galvanized steel, I bought a new washer and dryer and a new fridge, and none of these things were necessary. So if I had just lived in my home performing usual maintenance but not upgrading anything I'd be saving money by buying instead of renting.

You people are stupid as gently caress.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GodFish posted:

yeah maybe people who can afford to spend 5-10k a year on home improvement aren't the only kind of person you bougie dumbass

I wasn't responding to you.

Schmeichy posted:

Wow it's almost as if already having lots of money makes life really easy. If only people would "just" save up thousands of dollars first, they could own a home easy peasy.

Yeah having money is really nice, I agree.

I'm saying if we remove the "down payment" part of home ownership I think a lot of people could afford a home. If you go way back to where that dude quoted me you'd see what I'm talking about. Home ownership is treated like an impossibility but it's only impossible because banks have made it that way. People are paying their rent today, if instead of giving that money to some rear end in a top hat landlord it went to some kind of home co-op I think everyone would have a home.

anthonypants posted:

I was under the impression that they're saying the cost of a mortgage is roughly equivalent to the cost of rent, so there's no reason why you couldn't supplant one for the other.

Clearly what I'm saying is "gently caress the poors"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Thankfully I was in a situation where I could buy a home(private sale with lots of savings), but for most people getting 10-20% down is impossible. And the housing market is already a nightmare, we can't just go 'no down payment, buy away!'. There aren't homes for everyone to buy.

I think that's why you'd need some kind of home co-op to make it work, you pay into it like insurance or social security but you get a home out of it.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

and if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle

or still my aunt

gender is not binary

Good point, the only way to change things is to keep doing the same thing, such genius!

Venuz Patrol posted:

if i could buy an apartment that would be amazing. i have no reason to own something as large as a house and not nearly enough self loathing to own a microhouse

Exactly, I think most people would be perfectly fine in a studio or one bedroom and the mortgage on that kind of space would probably be pretty equivalent to the cost of rent.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I really don't know why I'm still surprised at goons being hilariously myopic in their worldview.

Care to expand on that? I'm a dumb goon who doesn't know poo poo, maybe you could teach me something?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Reene posted:

That situation exists it's called a condo and it comes with its own host of lovely to deal with.

Let's say I do find a place that has a mortgage roughly the same as the rent I'm paying. Cool. Whoops wait now I have to pay property taxes. And homeowner's insurance, with half of Portland being in a loving flood plain so rip me. Oh yeah and I need a new roof and the insurance company does't cover it but paying a mortgage instead of rent has not magically deposited the 5-10k I'd need to get a new roof, nor has it magically deposited the extra time into my week for me to deal with all of this myself, so again rip me.

Most condos have HOA fees so things like new roofs and drain cleaning, etc. are covered at no additional cost. Some HOAs do charge you with unexpected fees but I'm not really concerned with things as they are now, what I'm talking about is how we can improve the situation in the future and put people in homes.

As I explained even with the cost of insurance and property taxes rentals end up costing around the same, with an HOA it might be a bit more but I don't have experience other than when searching for a home 4 years ago the costs were between 300-700 depending on the area and what was offered in the complex. Basic search now shows that HOA fees have increased to starting around 500, but I still believe that it will end up being about the same cost as an equivalent rental in this market.

https://www.rdanorthwest.com/reserve-study-professionals/knowledge-corner/avg-hoa-dues-seattle/

Reene posted:

Seriously I don't know how you get to us being the idiots. Especially after you listed off several thousand dollars worth of home improvements as though that's change people have lying around.

I was listing those improvements to show that even with everything I've improved in my 1920s home it's still more affordable than an equivalent rental.

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's about four times what I can afford so thanks for the advice.

If you were given the option to buy a studio for say $450/mo would it be affordable to you? Because that's about what your mortgage would be for a unit that goes for about $100,000. The only reason you can't have that right now is because you can't save 20,000. Even with tax and fees and everything you could still probably afford it. Just think if you bought a 2 bedroom for under 100k, you could have a roommate and with fees and everything your share would still be well under 400/mo.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

sorry, that implies that you've already managed to save literally tens of thousands of dollars in liquid funds for a downpayment, something that, for the purposes of Condemn's viewpoint, is so insignificant that it doesn't warrant a second thought

running a marathon is really easy if you start at mile 25

Are you even reading my posts? What are you responding to?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Reene posted:

yeah and I am conveniently skipping over the fact that there is no way I'll find a mortgage for ~500/mo but hey

I just checked Zillow and found a 2br 2 bath for 97k, you could very easily find a mortgage for under 500/mo if you weren't being hosed by the system that tricks people into thinking they can't afford to own a home.

Peachfart posted:

When you reach a certain level of income, it becomes harder and harder to grasp how lower income people value each dollar differently.
When I was younger and far more broke, a family member got married on a Canadian island that had an extremely expensive ferry and rooms were very pricey. I got into an argument with that family member because they couldn't understand why I had difficulty paying the roughly $500 bucks for the trip, it wasn't very much money at all. For me it was the choice between rent and no rent.

ElCondemn, try to think about the majority of renters in Washington. These people don't have 2k for rent in the first place.

Where am I out of touch? Where am I arguing that "500 bucks is nothing"?

I'm not telling people to buy a house that costs 2k/mo. I only used my home as an example because it's the only home I've ever owned and I think other people should have the same and could if not for our system.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 11, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Reene posted:

Where exactly did you find it because I'll wager it's smack dab in the middle of "not a place I can get to work from" with a dash of "needs love as a euphemism for ~100k in renovations unless you like building code violations and cockroaches"

I think you said you're in Portland but I'm sure you can find equivalent, the one I found is in Mountlake Terrace which is just north of Seattle and easily within commute distance of most jobs. They were dotted all over, I didn't just find the one that seems to fit. Buying small is affordable if you could get away with not paying 20% down.

Peachfart posted:

I'm trying to imagine the horrors that exist in any home in Washington going under 100k.

'Ceiling not included'
'Plumbing needs work(i.e. has been torn out by addicts)'
'Equal access to all major cities(is literally right between Seattle and Portland, just south of Centralia)'

All the ones I saw are totally reasonable and huge step up compared to what I lived in growing up, no granite countertops or anything but maybe my standards are low.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Unless he is 55+, he will be unable to purchase that unit.

That's just one, there are others. If you bought with a friend you could get a 200k home. My point would be more valid if the past few years hadn't been so crazy housing wise, but either way people are paying rent and it's not like landlords are giving away free money. The reason people buy land to rent it out is because it is cheaper to own than rent, and it's pretty clear the reason is that it's hard to save up a lot of money. The only way to change that is to make it easier to save money, which in my opinion will never happen, or remove that restriction.

When will you loving understand, I'm not saying "save up 20k, it's so easy". I'm saying "get rid of the 20k restriction".

Reene posted:

And I'm in decent shape income-wise. This time last year I was making two thirds what I am now. You are out of touch and your advice is bad.

What advice am I giving out?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

As soon as you provide some sort of real-world scenario in which this would ever happen? You can blue-sky a revolution of the financing industry all you'd like but without any realistic proposal it just boils back down to 'home ownership is easy if you just simply remove the difficult parts.'

Seems like there isn't any discussion to be had then, I don't have any answers for you I'm just proposing what I think would help get people into homes. It's a good thing you were here to end the conversation.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Mountlake Terrace is still at least an hour drive away to downtown Seattle in rush hour traffic. Taking a bus isn't much better since the carpool lane ends at Northgate.

Good news, all the houses for sale that I found were for seniors, so you can't afford it anyway.

Edit: cursory search shows that even in the 200k range you're probably out of luck. So the trick is to buy 4 years ago and then maybe it works out.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 11, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Also the suggestion that we just get rid of down payment requirements..... Uh we tried that already. You used to be able to get 80/20 financing. It did no go so well. Please see the US housing market 2003-2007 and the resulting global financial crisis 2007-2009.

I don't think that's the same as not having a down payment, all the "solutions" of that era were just ways to add hidden fees and debts to those least able to afford it. But also the market failing was due to outrageous speculation and all the people who were sold "no downpayment" homes were hit by their variable rate mortgages and the other "solutions" that were never intended to work.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Chadderbox posted:

Are you suggesting that down payments be banned or capped at the legislative level? If so it would help to be more clear about that. The reason everyone is arguing with you is because down payment costs ARE currently required, and therefore cannot be disregarded when discussing the current cost of purchasing a home versus renting.

"I only have 8 fingers if you completely disregard the thumbs that are still attached to my hands." is what everyone but you seems to be hearing. Not trying to be rude here, sorry in advance if it comes across that way.

Some guy quoted me from pages ago, if you want to catch up read what I posted then, sorry if some rear end in a top hat quoting me out of context changed what y'all thought I was saying.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

As discussed earlier in the thread: there is no reason to have a foreign investment tax when a vacancy tax is easier to enforce, more effective, and less racially charged.

Yeah, but I just hate the Chinese so much... because they're foreign...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

What people think a foreign investment tax will do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh no! A foreign investment tax! ::Yellow menace vanishes, rents are cheap again::

What a foreign investment tax will actually do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh, a foreign investment tax. I guess I will use a shell company in the USA to get out of paying for this tax entirely. Idiots.

What a vacancy tax will do: blah blah, a vacancy tax? Hm, that means I will need to keep any properties I purchase occupied, and deal with the hassles, taxes, and scrutiny of being a landlord, or pay a large tax. I will avoid this market. (also this one actually affects local rich people, who are the ones actually causing the issue)

But which option allows me to express my hatred of the Chinese most effectively?

edit: a foreign investment tax only serves to stifle development, a vacancy tax forces foreign investors to invest in affordable housing... which if we're trying to solve the affordability problem I'm not sure how option 1 does that.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 20, 2017