Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

JESUJS CHRIST I loving hinched my BUTTHOLE SO HARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Will Power is a loving genius, holy poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What’d Josef do? I’m watching the dumb fight.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kurt Busch and Sage Karam were switched at birth. Sage is Kyle's real brother. This is the only conspiracy theory I believe.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Will Buxton thinks Andretti have retained Honda at least partially to keep the door open for Alonso.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Even as the rumors swirl about McLaren going to Renault?

Eh, those rumors are mostly swirling because Mercedes and Ferrari have already refused to supply McLaren with engines. Renault don't want to supply another team, and I don't know that McLaren will see huge gains from them anyway. I would guess maybe the idea is that McLaren stays with Honda and Alonso takes a year off in Indy? It's not like there are better options for him in F1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

If Toro Rosso takes on Honda I could see it happening. That's looking less likely as time wears on but McLaren as a whole has clearly run out of patience with Honda.

I think Alonso has run out of patience with Honda more than McLaren has.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't get your hopes up, because reports today suggested that McLaren are about to drop Honda for Renault, but I'm pretty confident he'd come to IndyCar full-time if McLaren stuck with Honda for 2018.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That single wet corner is hilarious.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chilton’s helmet owns.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What the gently caress?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I hope Dixon wins IndyCar and Dovi wins MotoGP and Johnson wins NASCAR and the Triumvirate of Boring Drivers can rule the world.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Palmer is nowhere near as good as, say, Max Chilton.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Bentai”" post="“477052151”"]
I have to assume Liberty Media came at NBC wanting a hell of a lot more than $3m for the broadcast rights renewal, and they balked. I wonder how this may affect Indycar promotion.
[/quote]

Liberty wants to start an F1 streaming service. NBC said in their statement that they walked away because they don't want to compete with the rights holder.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

One day Zak Brown will own all of racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

How loving rich is this guy holy poo poo. I'm just glad he seems like a... pretty decent guy who is very personable and seemingly affable

I don't think he's particularly loaded, he just has that same weird touch as Michael that allows them to effortlessly convince random companies to pour millions into motor racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

Except onto the side of the McLaren it seems.

He's responsible for at least a couple of their current sponsors. I know JMI was involved with them signing NTT.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hold on to your butts, I'm about to make the worst post I've ever made:

haven't really enjoyed the recent ICS races at the Glen

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

I'm happy if Portland gets a race again but I'll be a bit frustrated if it's the current Glen Labor Day weekend schedule as I won't be able to time a trip home for it next year :mad:

Interesting that "the city" want the race back, they own the track (it's a public park) and that money investment is what's keeping big races from coming back.

Off topic but what airline do you usually take?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You know, May isn’t all that far away.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I think its fair to say that SPM, Rahal, and Foyt have all taken a step forward, while Ganassi and Penske have taken a step backwards. Gonna be fun times.

Andretti stays the same?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have Verizon, the app is totally forgettable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You do not want Red Bull involved.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

With all the uncertainty about ratings and attendance and TV deals and whatnot, it's reassuring to know that drivers from both the MRTI ladder and from afar are tripping over each other to land a seat in Indycar. It's also good timing that an influx of new teams are popping up to accommodate them.

The only missing ingredient is a third engine manufacturer.

I'm glad they haven't rushed to try to get a third engine. Honda and Chevy have a super good relationship and seem to understand that the success of the series as a whole is ultimately more important than their own successes. Not every company is going to have that same attitude.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I don't think thats really true anymore. Newgarden is probably making ~$2.5-3m or so a year on his Penske deal. According to this dumb thing thats probably wrong that I just googled, there are only 7 drivers in F1 making more than that.

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/10931/F1-driver-salary-paid-most-sportgalleries/Esteban-Ocon-214651

I don't think he would go over there unless the salary was higher AND it was a front running car. Which because F1's power/money structure is comically broken, is pretty much the same thing anyway. Also hes got at least another year on his Penske deal, which there is a zero percent chance of him getting out of.

I think you are right. A top driver at CGR/Penske/Andretti-ish will make more money than anyone but those at the very top F1 teams. So it's a choice between money+wins/titles vs whatever just being in F1 is worth these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

More or less average in IRL days. Only thing she had going for her was she always had a knack for Indy for some reason.

American, consistently funded, decent enough to stick around, good at Indy. Flawless IndyCar driver.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Me too, wanna grab lunch sometime?

My dad lives in that area

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Get Mellencamp to do it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That’s...odd.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Herta was with him last year on the stand too, so they’re probably just re-aligning things along those lines. One of the recent Marshall Pruett Week in Indy shows was with him.

Yeah, Herta said it was weird calling strategy for one car and owning another.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Honestly, I think we’re missing the big news of the off season here.

https://instagram.com/p/BcfIfEjF8ty/

OMG

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Dixon wins the championship this year and also continues to be the prettiest driver

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Oladipo will lead the Pacers back to glory

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

they went to the conference finals in 2013 and again in 2014 ya dorks. you get ZERO bad NBA team sympathy from me, a Sacramento Kings fan

its weird that you people that live in indiana hate it even more than us that have to visit it ocasionally

I still like Indiana but that’s probably because I moved away and typically only come back for special occasions when fun things are happening.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I was in a liquor store in Indy where the ENTIRE liquor selection was locked behind the counter, which is the most bizarre poo poo I’ve ever seen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

The [every sports team] literally get a subsidy every single year just to play in [any city] and not gently caress off to China or Montreal or whatever. They can go eat a shotgun as can all their fans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

No. Not a subsidy like "new stadium" because that can at least be used for concerts or whatever. They literally get a loving paycheck from the taxpayers every season.

Welcome to sports in America, lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It’s undoubtedly corrupt and bad, but it is aggressively normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The gas station in Harrodsburg has a really nice tenderloin.

• Locked thread