Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think Mercedes is doing it either, if anything they'll put more into IMSA (as in, support Penske in DPi in 2018). I still think if FCA wants to establish Alfa they do so with IndyCar, but that's just me.

It might be Toyota if they want bang-for-buck, but that goes along with WEC (which I know is an engineering project) and WRC (unsure). Wonder how their NASCAR adventure has been helping them, I feel like they perhaps had better brand recognition in the mid-1990s because back then everything was white/orange/red and TOYOTA all over.

all said I'm excited still for IndyCar and if anybody has any tips on finding the 1:64 diecasts I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

no airbox :getin:

interesting lack of aeroscreen on any of them, wonder if thats no longer a 2018 thing

Could just be the case of a different design team working on that vs the aero kit.

Love the concept. Had me at "no air box".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IndyCar's leadership wants to get to an international round or two and have that be January/February before the US season kicks off, and sounds like they want it to happen for 2018. "Wants to" turning into "will" turning into "a successful event" is a different matter entirely though. If IndyCar returned to Japan, I would imagine it would only race the Motegi road course, which is sad (the oval was damaged in the 2011 earthquake and to my knowledge hasn't been repaired sufficiently for racing, but it hardly has cracks and massive issues at the moment).

and yeah Fuzzy I hear you but Penske has deeper, longer-rooted ties to Chevy than Ganassi has with Ford. The Chevy-Ilmors in the '80s were essentially a Penske project, too, and that's just IndyCar. Ganassi going all Ford would be great, I would love to see them back, but no clue if it will.

who knows with Nissan USA racing programs, too. they're slacking on GT3 programs compared with other Nissan markets IMO, the tie-up with ESM in IMSA isn't a full factory effort, and I'm not 100 percent sure what they'd get out of Indy at the moment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hey Fuzzy

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/820076721395249152

so uh, yeah.

I visited Toyota's museum/showcase thing in Tokyo last weekend and was saddened by how little there is on the AAR Toyota Eagles. There's surprisingly more than you'd expect about their IndyCar/IRL work, but they don't even have much on the Eagle Mk. III, which is probably the greatest single prototype in the history of US sportscar racing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

I remember when CotA was universally well-liked and then suddenly a switch flipped and everyone decided they hated it and had always hated.

It's a good enough track but with clownshoes management.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just wonder who that group is.

IIRC Cosworth is indeed ready to go with an engine, they just need a badge for it.

I would think that if Toyota or Ford wanted back in they would design their own in house, correct? So Nissan Cosworth perhaps?

you would think that's at least one of the subjects Kalkhoven was talking to Nissan about once upon a time. Shame it hasn't surfaced properly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Senna started making eyes had a lovely contract with McLaren and Marlboro whispered "Penske" to him to aim towards the US, Mansell threw his toys out of the peak with legendary man-manager Frank Williams, and there was coincidentally a good generation of IndyCar happening at the same time.

I don't think it was *that* serious a threat, but considering what Max and Bernie did to the World Sportscar Championship and Group C - because they wanted those manufacturers in F1, not sports cars - and it says more about him than American open wheel.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 19, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

Plus all the high level driver defections over the years to CART, then Mansell... yes, the FIA was worried about CART. Worried enough to blackball tracks and even whole countries to keep CART's international expansion in check. Rockingham, Lasuitz, and Motegi aren't all ovals by accident or choice.

oh, it's not just that. It's also the fact that the Old Man, during a meeting with the FIA at the Ferrari factory while threatening to possibly walk away from F1, fired up the engine in the background. During the meeting.

"8w' posted:

The story goes that somewhere in the second half of 1986 FIA and other F1 representatives came to Maranello to speak with Enzo Ferrari about the future of F1 and tried to persuade him to remain in F1. It is said that Enzo told them he was willing to do so but if V12s would be disallowed he couldn't guarantee his company not pursuing other options. Hardly had Enzo spoken these words or everyone in the room heard an engine being started, which could be identified as a turbocharged V8 of about 3 litres, with Ferrari pointing out to the people in the room what they were hearing. The attendants supposedly all of a sudden realized that Ferrari was indeed in an advanced state with its Indy project. At that moment, the deal was struck that V12 engines would be allowed in F1, under the condition that Ferrari wouldn't further pursue its Indycar plans. The project 637 came to an instant standstill as a result.

can't hate that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Sports Car Racing and Open Wheel are different beasts. While having a competitive domestic manufacturer is nice, in open wheel (from what I've seen) the drivers seem to get more of the attention than whatever badge is on the engine cover. And in America, CART always got more attention regardless. Ford was in F1 nearly continuously from 1967-2004ish. It dominated for over a decade (nearly becoming a spec engine some years) and was competitive until the mid-90s (winning the WDC with Schumacher/Benetton as late as 1994) but it did not increase F1's popularity in the USA.

Ford is also a weird case in that I think the F1 was more Ford Europe than Ford HQ. Similar situation to how Honda USA/Canada supports IndyCar, and Honda corporate does F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Action Bronson isn't even going to know what the gently caress is going on out there, that's sensational.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coincidence is not causation.

She left the seat, it went to Hinch (would've been Dan :smith: ). Her last ICS race was Vegas 2011 (:smith: ) so, the chassis and engine formula changed directly afterward. This allowed more teams a more-equal playing field and enabled more young talent to shine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Um. Okay

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ford-chief-denies-crazy-indycar-engine-rumors-869136/

Feels like things are thawing despite the words being uttered here.

We've gone from "No one in the stands/over my dead body" to "It'd be fun to do"

Also how is their NASCAR, WRC, and GT program relevant to their street car program? That seems a bit silly.

their WRC program isn't even full factory anymore, hasn't been for a few years (go watch the official WRC recaps of the Monte Carlo Rally, they refer to them as M-Sport produced cars, which is accurate).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Apparently the Toyota oligarch dude (Akio Toyota, i think) was super into CART and racing though, and was a super chill dude that hung around the paddock for every race.

Yeah the original Gazoo Racing as a grassroots deal (and at the Nurburgring 24H even) was guided by Akio Toyoda, and even now as he's the president of the whole company, they're trying to earn that more. It's not a bad move at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

We got shibby live form practice in the chat.

come join us guys

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#ICS@irc.synirc.net

That's a pro-rear end avatar

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

all i got is this like 15 year old memory to go on and maybe i just dreamed it up or some poo poo

That would be Walter Payton, in a Trans-Am in practice at Road America

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Helio just got done channeling his inner AJ

Edit: Hard crash for Rossi exiting Turn 1 going into 2

That's not on brand, Helio.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

He said Phoenix was his first oval ever back in '96.

Was Lights and CART still testing at that place in spite of the split?

Hello sponsored by Hitachi (including their heavy power equipment) while standing on a CAT.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Crapwagon has lionized him because he trashes the IRL on his facebook apparently.

Funny what's happened to both of them since that lawsuit was filed. RHR is a series champ, 500 champ, and thought of as one of the 'faces" of the series. Paul G is just doing Trans Am still I guess.

His team is apparently coordinating 3GT, which is running the (factory) Lexus GTD program in IMSA.

He was one of my parents' favorites when I was young and I'm pretty sure signed Rocketsports T/A team Oldsmobile poster is at my parents' place somewhere, but this type of stuff sounds more like a wrestling promoter than a racing team owner. Carny as hell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think there's any mystique or anything interesting or noteworthy about the Indy 500 having to be on ABC, so I'd be perfectly happy if all of the ICS went to NBC and NBCSN. I know it's always been on ABC, but I don't see how changing networks now would make any difference.

ESPN is still top-of-the-line with their event coverage, but catching up on how their studio shows etc. are during Christmas-time, not much of it is terribly inspiring or interesting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I suspect Indycar themselves would prefer not because it gives the impression of Indycar as a feeder series rather than a destination.

That's fine for Super Formula, which is essentially Japanese GP2/F3000 but probably not what Indycar is looking for.

The only real difference is that the companies involved use it to stash junior drivers before they go higher up. Like if Chevrolet put the Taylors into IndyCar until a seat opened up in IMSA.

Otherwise, spec tires, single spec chassis, two engine makes...however, I think the SF cars have shed loads more downforce.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Yeah I like Bestwick and I'm still working up the nerve to actually talk to him.
For the 100th Running last year SportsCenter did do their broadcasts live from IMS, which was the most ESPN coverage of IndyCar I've seen in well over a decade.

We all knew that ABC/ESPN was just waiting for the 100th Running to come and go so they could shed their contract in favor of more baseball

it really seems like all ESPN is interested in is NFL, NBA, NCAA football and basketball, and nothing else. Anything else is a spot story, nothing - not even baseball - gets as much coverage as the others. And it's virtuous cycles for the NFL and NBA and college football, they're spending that money and it's growing interest.

I've said it before but the growth of soccer in the US is due partially to ESPN just simply giving a poo poo about it. Until they lost the coverage to NBC, there was a very direct line of growth from 2001-02 when I started following straight through in terms of how much and how loosely it was discussed there. And that at its root is because one of the execs saw soccer as an untapped market in the US. I don't think racing is in the same place, but hell, another famous story is CBS showing so much golf because the network head was a golf fan. This doesn't take much, but auto racing just doesn't have people in the right places (outside NBC).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Juncos and/or (eventually) Carlin as the anchor teams for Alfa/insert OEM here?

M-B is more likely to be in DPi, IMO, seeing as the rumors of that last year were much stronger and it appears it just fell apart late. They have the investment in a GT3 motor to use there, can't see them wanting to jump in without Penske's enterprises.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The reason Ferrari never tried it again is because through the '80s they were busy with F1, and when they threatened to leave F1 for America - allegedly - they got everything they wanted rules-wise - allegedly.

The short story of that is Enzo Ferrari held a meeting with the FIA and rulesmakers at Maranello and during the meeting, after the old man vaguely hinted at threats to go to CART, an engine was fired up. It wasn't a F1 engine, but instead a ~2.65 turbo V8. :v: (baller as hell, btw)

quote:

Champion had determined that a 209 high pressure turbo would be the best way to exploit the current formula

Heh. Sounds like The Beast, no?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

i mean the discussion of "reunification" had been on the table for quite sometime, and guys like RP, The Andretti's, etc were likely sick of not being able to run the "500". (as were their sponsors...)

Marlboro itself pretty much told RP "Go run Indy. We get no value out of CART that we already don't get from Ferrari or Schumi. We need you at Indy for the :911: audience to give a drat"

also, perhaps it is indeed Audi coming to the series? Went thought a few articles and it always feels like V.A.G. and Indy seem "linked" in joining AOWR dating back to the old ChampCar days.

http://jalopnik.com/audi-plans-to-invade-america-through-indycar-472859296

http://en.f1i.com/news/26267-audi-to-partner-with-cosworth.html

http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/new-irl-engine-draws-interest-audi-vw-porsche-fiat-honda

So Audi-Cosworth perhaps? I mean they left WEC and perhaps this is their next "hill to climb" so to speak. My only doubts is the whole "Diesel powered" thing.

Considering how much has changed at Audi and VAG, especially at board management, it doesn't make much sense to build the theory through multiple-years-old stories and rumors.

Formula E is pennies, they're in DTM because it's a big game of chicken between the German makes, and their GT3 efforts are simple and make them money. IndyCar would have to be from somebody at Audi USA really wanting to do that, and I can't see that happening at this time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

As we've said again and again, Portland needs a renovation safety wise and for outside facilities. Only other place in the PNW is Pacific Raceways but that is in more dire need of a renovation than Portland and has had big plans for over a decade that have never panned out except for a cool rear end go kart track. So you'll need someone with tons of money to blow to get a track back going up here.

Though getting Microsoft and Turn 10's attention to help, yeah they might sponsor it since it's local to them.

Portland isn't local for a Seattle/Redmond company, they're close-ish but completely different.

PIR (that one, not Phoenix) has a decent layout, has been re-paved recently enough, and has a good location. But all of the fan and team facilities are poo poo, and there probably wouldn't be enough parking.

Portland had a race for so long because a local businessman wanted to host it. But that was the 80s/90s, and he's retired. I don't know who else is out there.

But if we get Portland in summer again, I will fly back to go to that with my dad. Full stop.

[Edit]

Cygni posted:

Could happen, but don't expect big things racing wise.

Portland somehow seemed to throw a gen out there everybody few years. The rain in mid-June helped.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 15, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

I'm ready for Voodoo Doughnuts to sponsor the race and call it the Cock and Balls Grand Prix.
http://voodoodoughnut.com/mobile/voodoo-doughnut-mobile-doughnuts.php

The jokes are good but none of those are as big (in revenue or local profile) as GI Joes was when the owner was promoting and sponsoring the Portland race. It could be one of the breweries though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:eng101: there's at least one major drifting team in Japan running Goodyears! So they're good for smoke, apparently.

I had some Eagle F1s on my car for a few years, and they performed decently well, even in...erm...snow. Ahem. But it wasn't like I was pushing them or doing track days.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:ssh: the "Michael Andretti" car drawing has Nigel's helmet design

I love that they made the 'facing the helmet' angle because I absolutely remember that from the early '90s races. Real cool little video, and I really hope it means they're coming back to Motorsport more.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I seriously wonder if he could just flat out start up his own cup, imsa, or indy team for the amount of he tossed at them. Seems like that would be a better investment of funds. Not like this guy is like the 2nd coming of 1994-1997 Jacques Villeneueve or something.

I mean hell, SRA's team for example seems to be running up front in Trucks, ARCA for example.

But that isn't F1 and it sounds like Stroll's dad is enamored of that.

$80 mil would get you like ten years of a decent Indy ride but it isn't :allears: Formula 1 :allears:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Does anyone remember that story of a sportscar tub that last like 13 years and kept being refreshed, but was the same original tub? I want to say it started as like a Courage C65, but ran under like 6 different names over the years (C65, C75, ARX01, ARX03, OAK, Morgan) before finally being retired last year. I probably screwed up like 80% of the facts in that story, but it was something like that. Gotta beat that record.

I guess you theoretically could have run an '03 Dallara tub until '11, although I think the oldest still running was an '06. And a '12 tub until at least 2020 now.

The tale of the Jaguar XJR14 is a pretty good one, too - started as the Jag in Europe and the US, Mazda ran it in the WSC as well with a Judd engine, and then a couple of the chassis were cut up and became the Porsche WSC-95 that won Le Mans in 1996 and 1997.

[Edit] also that render now looks like a Proper IndyCar once more. Good work.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Roberto Guerrero being sponsored by Dianetics has to be up there too

e: and Amway sponsoring Brayton

If you haven't read it yet, the article about the Dianetics sponsorship is absolutely amazing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wait they're letting him skip Monaco this year to do it.

I..uh...that's...interesting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish GP - May 14
First day of '500' practice - May 15

Man this is gonna be awesome.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't really understand the necessity of a 3rd OEM is honestly, series is pretty good as is and IndyCar seems sensitive to parity arguments anyway.

Prestige and Month of May motors. It sounds like the two companies bring anybody with engineering experience in to support their teams during '500' season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

bring in mazda and let them run rotary engines

I'm all for IndyCars sounding like screaming chainsaws

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

Sounds like it's practically a lock, just needs sponsor money I suppose.

Honda Japan can chip a bit off their "bad MGU-H" budget to fund two IndyCars easily, you'd imagine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

I wonder if Mclaren and Honda of Japan would partner to build the ICS engine. We'd have a "Good Lotus vs Bad Lotus" thing going on here

Why, they already have a good one labeled 'Honda'.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think Sato has sponsorship from Matsushita/Panasonic in addition to being Honda's son.

His manager is still (IIRC) "King" Hiro Matsushita, aka the owner of Swift, aka yeah that Matsushita. Doesn't surprise me. Sato's still got plenty of personal sponsors too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alonso is one of the biggest names in the sport. It's ALREADY making waves too. I mean Valentino Rossi just said he wants in for example.

I hadn't heard of this yet! Rossi is a madman and some kind of genius, it would be awesome to see him try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Why the gently caress would he go to Anime GT?

That sweet, sweet Honda money.

Otherwise yeah figure he'll dip a toe in Le Mans and then slide to WEC once his F1 career is finished. Not a hard call there. He'd be a benefit to any major manufacturer as a P1 driver.

• Locked thread