Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Best seats are probably the E Penthouse, but good luck ever getting your hands on those tickets for raceday.

The rights to E Penthouse (and to a lesser extent, the vista decks) tickets are passed down within families. You have almost no chance of getting them without working your way into the will of someone who already has them.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Do the Chevy's have different end plates?

Almost all of the aero surfaces are different between the two makes, though for most of the pieces you need to see them side by side to be able to tell.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

its like DRS or it gives more power to the car?

More power

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm kind of half paying attention here is Kimball going to actually win this thing

I think he's going to have to pit before the finish.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The top 7 all beat the track record from last year :monocle:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

There will be more running?

There's an Indy Lights (Indycar's GP2) race in 15 minutes and the Indycar race in a couple hours, that's the only running the rest of the day.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bentai posted:

They aren't. If you press mute for the entire race. Otherwise? :smith:

Mute the TV and stream the radio broadcast

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's 7/1 (and +800 is 8/1). I don't know why it switches between systems unless it has to have four characters in the odds column.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Just be glad he's wearing a shirt at all.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rossi was with him all day. It had to be someone that didn't go on a media day trip. Hinch

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Higher top speeds but lower downforce is what these cars need. (At Indy, anyway) The current situation with the cars being almost as fast in the turns as on straights just feels wrong.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KingShibby posted:

This is being added to the OP and here for reference

In addition to the new agreement in China, the following countries/regions and networks will air Sunday's Indianapolis 500 either live or on delay:]

Juat a reminder that if your local broadcast is cursed with the ABC commentary, you should do yourself a favor by muting the TV and streaming the radio broadcast instead.

Edit: Or listen on an actual radio.

Theris fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 28, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

Motion to boot Goodyear and Cheever from the both.

racecontrol.indycar.com

Seriously the radio crew is so much better than ESPN

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Why are they going low in the middle of the straight? Why not just stay high out of the turn through the straight into the next turn?

The cars are set up to turn left, trying to hold them straight along the wall scrubs more speed than letting them naturally drift to the middle and pulling it back to the wall for the next turn.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

"It's not gonna rain till, like, six!" :v: *race has six hours of yellows*

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Basticle posted:

Wait how is davidson in 2nd isnt he the one who got a drive thru for not coming in when he was black flagged for the loose wing

He's off strategy. So's Chilton and Kimball, Helio is the "real" leader.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lol@ a Ganassi car running off strategy getting a yellow exactly when they need it. How the gently caress do they always do that?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the question at this point is how does Alonso get a Le Mans ride. Im thinking it probably ends up Ganassi/Ford.

Replacement for Bourdais?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

harperdc posted:

the sport no longer has anyone in upper management who thinks it's worthwhile to invest the time/effort into. Lower your expectations and realize this is a wildly different era to before.

NBCSN acts like they give a poo poo.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GTP/Group C might have been the peak of "cars that are way too fast for how safe they are." At least in post-seatbelt times, anyway.

Edit: Group B rally is probably in the running for that title, too.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Peanut President posted:

The last straight into the hard left/hard right has claimed many a car in racing games. I imagine that's the main worry.

There's lots of runoff there, though. If I had to guess I'd say the biggest concern would turn 5 at the bottom of the esses. Indycars could probably take the esses flat and even in a slow car if you overcook turn 5 you're going into the wall.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dixon winning the title without winning a race would be the Scott Dixonest thing ever.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lord Crapulus posted:

Hopefully the Portland rumors pan out, I guess.

There's Portland rumors? With the Glen back, if they get Portland the only traditional tracks missing that aren't a total pipe dream are Fontana, MIS, Milwaukee* and Cleveland.

*They haven't torn it down yet, right?

Edit: Forgot Loudon

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 5, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

WindyMan posted:

This is a cool idea. I'd like to see that at other rovals where it would make sense.

Texas, maybe? IMO the other tracks it might work at (Phoenix, Loudon if it happens) are short enough that the whole ladder should be running the oval. I guess they could do both, since they normally do multiple races a weekend anyway.

I just think the lower rungs need more ovals. USF2000 only runs Iowa, and Pro Mazda only...*Googles*... Gateway? And not Iowa? Wtf?

At least bring back the Night Before the 500. :bahgawd:

Edit: Pocono and Gateway both have rovals, too.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Cygni posted:

Fontana, Phoenix, IMS, Nazareth, Vegas, Atlanta, and I think one other. IRL, CART, and current IndyCar.

Admittedly i dont remember much of a few of those cause i was small, but Fontana was pretty recent and I don't remember it being that bad at all compared to other series. ymmv i guess

You're right, the current formula is relatively quiet because turbos are pretty effective mufflers. The problem is that they're right smack in the super dangerous grey area of "quiet enough to not be painful, but loud enough to do damage."

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

WindyMan posted:

That's got to be close to the upper limit for what Honda and Chevy can furnish, you think?

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that both manufacturers had committed to supplying 13 full time entries each next year.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

No paint job looked good on that car.

In road course/short oval trim, with just the right paint job, at just the right angle, the IR-05 was an alright looking car.

vvvv Nah, the first generation IRL cars (IR-7 and whatever the G-Force one was) were even worse. Except the Riley & Scott, it was alright. Slow as hell, but it looked fine.

Theris fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 9, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

oh, great. competition yellows AND the lucky dog. :ughh:

Not watching the race atm so maybe something weird happened but Indycar has waved around any lapped traffic between the pace car and leader since forever.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Does IndyCar actually race in the rain or is it redflagged at the single drop of water?

They race in the rain on road courses, but they only have one kind of rain tires that are roughly equivalent to F1 intermediates, so if it's really pouring they have to red flag.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Green Savoree seem like they'd be just what the doctor ordered over there.

Don't need grandstands if you have enough Ferris wheels.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8jJ8eKOxGs

Indycar just posted this to their YouTube channel today. :thunk:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

6. Dear NBC: I understand that FOM is pressuring you to put more races on the main network, but airing a rebroadcast on NBC proper over the Indy Race? Come on. I understand that time is a factor here (broadcast F1 at 1600 EDT, wraps up by the 1800 local news), but giving an F1 rebroadcast over a live Indy race is not cool.

The current TV contract gives exclusive broadcast/"antenna" TV rights to ABC. NBC couldn't show Indy on NBC proper if they wanted to.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

He's really struggled in the dw-12 era.

Marco also was rushed I think. He did, a handful of races in Pro Mazda, and ran against a pretty barren Indy Lights field a handful of times?

I went to qualifying for the USGP the year of the tire disaster, Lights ran as a support series and Marco flat curbstomped the rest of the field. At the time I thought it was a sign that he was going to be as good as his dad, I didn't stop to think how totally garbage the rest of the field probably was.

Fake edit: I looked it up and oh man. Special Ed was the last car on the lead lap. Wade Cunningham, Arie Jr., Jeff Simmons, and Marty Fuckin Roth round out the complete list of names I've actually heard outside of that race. Jesus Christ all the talent really was in Atlantics during that time.

Real edit:

quote:

To make poo poo weirder, apparently there are rumors that Alonso might race the season finale at Sonoma

:getin:

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 14, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IMO, when you look at the people involved, and the evolution of the cars and the schedule F5000 is just as much an ancestor of modern Indycar via CART as the USAC big car/gold crown series.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Reynold posted:

Then people started coming out of the woodwork to complain about NASCAR being a shitshow league for clowns, unlike their pure and good Indycar

Those people are correct. Please ignore this year's Texas race.

But for real, every form of motorsport has some boring races and the occasional race that's totally clownshoes and good drivers and bad drivers and lol if you can't enjoy loud cars going fast just because they aren't "yours."

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

The funny thing is that Indy does award points towards eligibility for a super license, including 40 points (which is what you need to race in F1) if you finish 1st in the championship standings. SiPag could race in F1 now if someone offered him a ride.

Fun fact: before the "points earned over three years" system was established, simply finishing in the top 5 in Indycar standings made you eligible for a super license.

I'm sure that resulted in a pretty hilarious list of people eligible for a super license over the years that you would never actually expect.

Edit: Marco and Danica :v:

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 6, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Schlesische posted:

2) I was pretty sure the Triple was Le Mans, Monaco, Indy? It doesn't make sense for it to be "Championship, Race, Race".

Wikipedia allows either Monaco OR the WDC, based on what seems to be differing opinions of various motorsport journalists. Graham Hill is still the only one to pull it off either way.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dudley posted:

I still don't like the retro feeder series styling of the new car but it looks like racing wise the design is spot on, which is excellent.

The retro aspect of the design makes it look like the 1000+HP tiny wing monsters of the 90s. "No airbox=feeder series" isn't a thing in the US.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Indy is easily the best large city in the Midwest after Chicago and MSP. Now, I realize that "better than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, and St. Louis" is the lowest of bars, but worst place in the country it is not. It's 800 miles from Florida!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

gret posted:

Besides Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul I'd probably rather live in a college town like Madison or Ann Arbor than any of the other midwestern cities.

Oh, no doubt, that's why I specified large cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can't say that without an explanation.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/angry-brake-checking-racing-driver-couldnt-even-find-wh-1798477766

It's like the opposite end of the Indycar washout news spectrum from Matsuura and Baguette.

• Locked thread