Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Awesome, I assumed there would be a citation.

Presumably if there had been 34 entrants he'd be SOL though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Finally IndyCar will be back to glory because the overhead airbox will be gone from turbocharged cars. All praise.

Speedway kit looks sleek and fast, and I like the swept rear wing on the road course package too. Looks great all around. Here's hoping we get a new engine manufacturer in soon too.

I think this is a uniquely American thing. To the rest of the world no-airbox is either a 1970s or cheap. To me that render looks like something you'd seen in a BTCC support race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

F1 cars did not have airboxes for almost a decade.

Exactly. And those cars look ancient.

It's not a bad thing, it's just a very American thing to idolise a roll hoop.

That said.

This makes it look a butt load better, I agree, the numbers need to go right there.

EDIT : Here's why I was thinking that though, this is the last gen Formula Ford UK

Dudley fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 26, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the question then becomes if you have a Honda, do you race your rear end off to be in the lead just past halfway, or take it easy and save full powaaa for lap 180.

Depends who I am. If I'm Andretti or Ganassi, I'm playing safe early.

If I'm Ed Jones say, you'd have to consider otherwise. If I'm Servia, with no championship to even pretend to think about, I'm running the living poo poo out of the thing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Basticle posted:

Are you referring to the fact that Nissan and Renault partially own each other? Because it seems doubtful either companies motorsports divisions have anything to do with each other.

Mostly, but there were rumours Nissan was going to take over in Formula E.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

I was just at Sarah Fisher's karting track today, holy poo poo that oval track is so much fun.

Did you do the main circuit too?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

Yeah, it wasn't as fun bc it's too narrow to pass and people were spinning out all over the place. I don't think I got a single lap without running into slower cars.

That's indoor karting for you.

From the videos though, those karts also look really quite slow to me but sometimes it's misleading.

Lord Crapulus posted:

I did it I'm the best

(please do not look at the overall standings)

If I'd gone with Max Chilton instead of RHR (I changed at the last minute) I'd have beaten you. Curses.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Don't blame you for the Rossi pick given practice, but Marco?

He's really, REALLY cheap in the Indycar fantasy game. Like at the bottom it's basically him, Gutierrez and the Foyt cars.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ooh I'd resub for a month for that, the one time I did an iRacing Indy500 I got taken out by a try-hand on a restart.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

If they want to go to the UK they should go back to Brands Hatch but run the full Grand Prix circuit this time.

Brands can only use the Grand Prix loop approximately never because people bought houses near a race circuit and then were surprised there was a race circuit.

So really it's Silverstone and Donnington. Maybe the Rockingham roval. I'm not sure the oval would attract the crowds.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Brands Hatch Indy absolutely owns, but not for 240mph single seaters.

gret posted:

gently caress NIMBYs! I don't think Rockingham has SAFER barriers, so it's unlikely IndyCar would race there.

Well I guess they could always install them, and if they were using the roval might not even need them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Ding ding ding

Also, how many races happen at Rockingham anymore? In a vacuum it'd be great to see SAFER barriers added (...'cause who argues against safety?) but if it helps any other series too it might be a good investment. But that depends on the use cases.

On the oval, literally just EuroNascar I think (which incidentally also runs Brands Hatch Indy) although of course it could be argued as a benefit for anything running the roval too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Several of which were, to put it mildly, not in Andretti equipment.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Depends how high the cheques bounce.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Joke's on them, they're both dumb.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nice to see them wheeling the old 1980s cars out.

So when are they unveiling the new Indycar?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

How else would you know it's a Honda?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Although that would also be the one thing that would prevent Alonso wanting to move to drive for it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah it's basically a poorly attended historic series for their own cars at this point I think.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I don't know what it'd offer that the MRTI doesn't at this point. I'd rather there be 5 more cars in Indy Lights.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

As mentioned before, having Portland on Father's Day weekend is going to be a real hard sell given that's also Le Mans weekend.

Also Mikhail Aleshin, Scott Dixon and Kannan ran Le Mans this year and Bourdais was supposed to.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I still don't like the retro feeder series styling of the new car but it looks like racing wise the design is spot on, which is excellent.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CBJSprague24 posted:

Define "history", because Chip beating the piss out of the DP field for a few years in Rolex/IMSA with Scott Pruett and a revolving door of co-drivers was pretty noteworthy.

"Hi to my championship trophies back home"

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

VikingSkull posted:

Chip should make a 3rd Cup team for TK

I had to check that, turns out I'd literally forgotten the #1 existed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I miss Rubens in Indycar. I actually thought he didn't do badly at all all things considered.

And from the same year it's kinda a shame that no-one gave Jean Alesi a shot in a real car, he did everything that was possible with the Fan Force Lotus.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are there going to be 22 or 23 entries at Sonoma, though? Also Josef's car would need to be utterly totalled. They'll thrash to get that car back on track even laps down (see: Power at Fontana for the 2012 finale) if they can pick up any points at all.

And if he needs one place to beat an Andretti car they have 3 they can pull to make sure it happens.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

RLLR are entering a 2nd car, this presumably means Rossi will now beat a retiring first Josef in theory?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bentai posted:

Hoo-ha, won the fantasy league by 73 points. No more forgetting to set a lineup like last year!

I got third but I won the "Closest to the race speed" for the year and I'm drat well pretending that's a thing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

I know someone here was commenting about sponsor displays:

Apart from the front of the sidepod wrapping under, seems like they're very obvious.

Love me some unpainted hurriedly stickered test liveries.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Croc posted:

Palmer takes time to adjust to cars he will be lower end of the field but maybe over time build up to be nearer the front.

I would be shocked if he came in and was straight away near the front of the field its just not his mo.

Yeah, it's his biggest weakness. If we still had 35 entrants in F1 he could have hung out with a Zakspeed or Onyx for 4 years and got good, like Mansell did. But in modern F1 you don't get that sort of leeway.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

I don't think he's particularly loaded, he just has that same weird touch as Michael that allows them to effortlessly convince random companies to pour millions into motor racing.

Except onto the side of the McLaren it seems.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"hopefully at Indy" means there might also be something else.

I wonder if there's half an eye on the Supercars series now Andretti have money in that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

This was for the one race to my knowledge, to fill the gap while Gasly goes to try and win a championship. Completely justified. But nothing has been confirmed for him for 2018 to my knowledge.

Correct.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Red Bull as title sponsor would probably be close to best case scenario. Watch it end up being something comparatively boring like Firestone.

You mean something like "The Firestone Indycar Series powered by Honda"?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I thought that was an Indy-Only thing but that 64x Project Indy car was from Miami 1995, a street circuit.

Also it' a weird throwback livery to a lovely late 80s F1 team (that Danner also drove for).

They're a wheel company so it makes some sense.

http://rial.de/en/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have no opinions about Danica Patrick. Her career probably lasted as long as it did due to her considerable backing but wasn't she just some throwaway below average driver?

She's a talented oval driver who never gained the maturity to compete without making rash and stupid decisions a lot, she was never great on road circuits but tried to race road championships for far too long.

She'll have attracted other, better women to the sport, so for that we should probably be thankful but ultimately she's not brought a lot else.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Am I mad thinking they should forego anyone singing it live and just pipe out one last Nabors rendition?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Andretti could never sack Marco.

Herta could.

I wonder...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Carlin announced a return to F2, having essentially previously left it to free up resources for Indycar so I'm a little worried about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Excellent, I was getting a little worried the silence meant it had fallen through, especially when Carlin stepped back into Formula 2.

• Locked thread