Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

January 2017, the month in which we find out where my wife is doing her residency and where we're moving. I in rough order of likelihood are:
Manhattan
Long Island
Cleveland
Dallas
Ann Arbor
Gainesville, FL
Washington DC
Charlottesville
Sacramento
Stay in Chicago

We find out on the 19th. I'm pretty anxious, I gotta say. please not Manhattan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We're hosting again this year, expecting about a dozen guests so I'm about to start prepping my simple beef and noodles that is usually a crowd pleaser.

What's your beef and noodles recipe?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My wife and I watched some old X-Files episodes, drank a bottle of wine, and ate like a pound of cheese last night. Today we should probably take down the christmas tree and do some laundry/house cleaning.

Rhyno posted:

Pretty basic. Get some decent beef, about a pound, cube it into 1 inch pieces, brown in a sauce pan. Dump that on a plate and throw some onions and butter into the pan and cook that poo poo up till they're limp as hell. Toss the beef back in, salt and pepper however much you like, pour a cup of beef stock in, stir it all up really well, throw in some bay leaves and crank the heat up til it boils. Let it boil for a bit, turn it down and stir the poo poo out of it again. Cover it and leave it for like an hour. Spear a piece of meat and it should be tender as poo poo now. Depending on how I feel I toss some peas or chopped celery in there after that hour. Then depending on how thick you want it you mix in one or two tablespoons of cornstarch. Turn the heat up a bit, let it cook up for another 20 minutes til the cornstarch makes the gravy thick. It should be ready to eat. I serve it over store brand egg noodles but it's great on rice as well.

Very basic but it always tastes good unless you buy lovely beef. I used a london broil from Kroger for this batch. Last year we had more guests and I was pressed for time so I bought a top round roast from Meijer and cubed it up.

Okay cool, so it's similar to beef stroganoff. I'll try it out. Thanks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

That won't pop the heads either.

The only time all the heads will flow is with a deluge system, which you might find in a commercial building with lots of combustable materials.

Almost no residential systems have enough pressure or flow capacity to maintain more than a few open heads.

It would completely defeat the purpose of a fire sprinkler system to apply water everywhere when you need it to be contained to where the fire is active.

The fire suppression systems in commercial kitchens are often deluge systems, which, I imagine, is where people get the idea that all sprinkler systems work the same way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I gotta visit the endodontist tomorrow to get a root canal fixed. It got infected somehow over Christmas and I was beside myself in pain on NYE. The dentist put me on amoxicillin as a temporary measure, but I worry that a permanent fix is going to require some digging.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geoj posted:

At this point I'm not certain how this company (Erie Insurance) is still in business.

By paying as little as they can get away with.

gently caress, beaten

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Y'all should set up something like TravisCI or some other automagical CI service and make it build a branch and run some tests as a prerequisite to merging it into master.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I buy my Mobil1 from Costco; that way the NWO can't track me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

poo poo, I thought I was scheduled for a 10:15 root canal, but they had me down for a 2:15. The worst part about going to the endodontist is going twice.

e. Well, that and the $6 I pumped into the parking meter that I won't be getting back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Root canal part 1 is done. My face is all numb. The last time I was in this situation, my boss said I was "talking stroke-y".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

One week and we find out where we're moving.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh jesus, my wife finds out where (and if) she matched with a medical residency program in half an hour. The tension is palpable here.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

fuuuuuck no email from the AUA yet.

This is amazing. I'd love to build a prerunner car some day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Everything looks better going sideways off a cliff on fire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You are thinking of Lancia.

I think the Stratos looks better on fire as a matter of principle, but that's not a popular opinion.

My wife is doing her residency at her first choice: NYU.

e: maybe if I put this on repeat it'll become true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwfnFlr7sE

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Serious question, how hard is it to get a new passport? I see this line used a lot.

In my experience, it took 15 minutes at the post office and about $200 to get one expedited.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh poo poo are we showin' off LEGO?

Your unimog lookin' thing is the coolest, csb

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just got a new coffee maker and learned a lesson: despite the flashing "EMPTY COFFEE FILTER" message, it's probably best to give it half an hour to cool down first.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Lemme get in on that hot sauce action. PM'd.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I like Firehouse subs. Their beef brisket and cheddar is awesome. Minus the mayo of course because gross :barf:

There's a Jimmy John's near the nonprofit I help run, and I find myself going there a bunch. It's not fantastic, but I can go there, get food, and return in under five minutes. Their unwiches are great if I don't feel like eating a bunch of bread.

Mayo, however, is a perfectly valid condiment when used sparingly.

• Locked thread