Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

Happy New Year, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is it impossible to have one loving thread on this used to be funny comedy forum as whole not end up being a goddamned political shitfest? No one is going to change anyones mind and all that ends up happening is someone getting the sandiest vagina EVER.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This. Also, how you hanging in there Tide? I recall you were going through some gnarly life poo poo.

Coping. Better. A longer post for another day. But thanks for asking

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Cops in general need to calm the gently caress down about 900%.

If it were only that easy.

I've got some sympathy for cops. Everyone is armed to the teeth, almost every interaction they have with someone is going to be negative or cause that person to have any number of degrees of a bad day (from "sign here for the ticket I am giving you for speeding" to "Ma'am, I'm sorry but your son is dead"). I don't know that the human psyche is capable of processing the overt negativity they go through every day.

They are trained to be suspicious and extremely observant, to be on alert, coupled with the fact that everyone is watching you with a camera and just waiting for you to make a mistake, which makes me wonder if the brain just eventually turns that into full, flat out paranoia. Add in an unhealthy dose of "seeing the end result of the bad things humans do to another" and they probably are in a constant state of PTSD.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm sure it's insane but as the guy who regularly eats 2 triple cheeseburgers and a large fry at mcdonalds without gaining weight, I'll worry about it in five years :3:

I hate you for this.

Because simply reading it caused me to gain a couple pounds.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?

To be a better person tomorrow than I am today.

And it's pretty broad statement to make.

Be a better father. Better friend. Better boss. Better pilot.

Hell a better ex husband.

Make my bed better than I did the previous day. Take pride in the most meaningless task. To not dread anything but look forward to the challenge of the difficulty, the dullness, the simplicity of it. I look for improvements in small ways...almost unnoticeably small things. But I know that all those little small things I try and do better add up to doing bigger things being better. Try and do every task as best as I can. To not have a fear of failure. I don't care if anyone else notices, only that I do. Drink less, eat better. Smoke less, run or bike more. Try and get better at sweeping a loving floor. Dress better, shave more often, better posture.

To have pride in everything I do or am but not arrogant about it.

Tony Robbins is apparently my spirit animal.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

That's a much healthier sounding Tide than we've seen in a while... welcome back!

Thank you sir!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

clam ache posted:

A hotdog is not a sandwich.

You heretic

meltie posted:

several thousand admins from basically all the main bits of Internet infrastructure (both above and below the waterline)

Also, say what for the bolded part

meltie posted:

I like cars

and cinema, art, fashion, architecture.

I had a satisfying chat with an old mate last week about fine art, and an individual's definition of a "luxury" item.

Where do you set the threshold for a luxury? Is it "anything beyond the bare minimum to survive" - bread and water? Is a can of beans a luxury?

To me, luxury is basically the better (real or perceived) version of a thing.

First class plane tickets instead of coach/economy.
Lexus instead of Toyota.
Sony instead of Insignia.
Hardwood instead of laminate.
Seaside instead of Gulf Shores.
Ruth's Chris instead of Ruby Tuesday
Limber instead of Glock
BF Goodrich instead of Wild Country

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I called a friend, he was also questioned. I guess they have no leads at all.

Lawyer the gently caress up. Like, yesterday

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BoostCreep posted:

Several forums seem to have lost their mods.

What's going on. Is this it? Are we at the end?

I looked up automotiveinsanity.com kind of in a 'hmmm i wonder if anyone is already using it' and its already a thing.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

That's is a very goid system, but I see one very critical flaw in your plan:

You have to order, and presumibly eat, a pizza from Papa Johns :barf:

Papa Johns Spicy Pulled Pork BBQ pizza is awesome and I will legit fight you to the death with nerf guns over this. But they don't have it on the menu anymore.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Door Frame posted:

This one joke I heard years ago about manly men who are stoic as a defining feature really stuck in my craw and I've been making a concerted effort to be more open and emotive, as to not be a dick. As long as some people find it comforting, I guess I can be all strong and silent it knowing that I'm making things better instead of just "not worse." Although not feeling guilty will probably take years of therapy haha...

I don't remember where or when I came across it, but it's from a much larger piece about toxic masculinity and what it means to be a man in a society that no longer needs "men" as they were defined in the early 20th century. The jist of the joke is "The manliest of men across all cultures have 5 defining characteristics, they're physically strong, they are stoic and wise, they protect those they care about, they have an iron will, and finally they're providers. Imagine if that's all that defined you as a person, now imagine interacting with that on an emotional level. You'd have better chances to find out what the wall is feeling. By most rights the "manliest of men" aren't even people, a tree fills all of those criteria better than any actual human can, and will probably end up being a more emotionally available father or husband than self proclaimed "manly men"."

There are certainly worse things to be defined as a person than physically and mentally strong, providing for and protecting loved ones, and being determined in your life. The flip side is you get todays fuckfaces that need safe spaces that cannot handle confrontation or adversity without whining and lashing out like a 9 year old girl with a skinned knee.

As with all things, there needs to be a balance. Maybe I'm old fashioned and not at all fit for the world and the way its going but as the patriarch, if that is you (generally speaking here, not YOU you), then, yeah, you should have or develop certain traits to be THE foundation of the family. That's just the way it is. Men like to be around other men; women like to be around other men.

I mean, lets break it down:
they're physically strong - a good thing. Typically it means they're healthy, fit.
they are stoic and wise - another good thing. They're smart; dependable.
they protect those they care about - how is this bad? pretty self explanatory
they have an iron will - eh, not so much this, I'll concede. You need to be flexible and not 'ITS MAH WAY OR THE HIGHWAY'
they're providers - oof. Completely terrible to be a provider for your family

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

Also this is completely retarded and you can't back this statement up

I don't want to hang out with you, so statement backed up.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

To be completely fair, your wife/SO didn't leave you for another dude. So there's that.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 25, 2017

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Anyone else randomly spend days pissed off about poo poo you thought was dead and buried? Or is that just me?

Holy poo poo its my ex wife.

efb

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

4am the wife and i are about to uber to the airport we flying to breckenridge for the weekend

married life owns

Nice

I prefer Steamboat, but the train at runs on weekends to Winter Park is awfully tempting for weekend getaway

Will probably take advantage of that next season

I would move to Denver with a quickness if I could.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
WTF

Def Leppard Hysteria album not available on iTunes OR Amazon for digital download/buy???

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You, sir, are wrong. Or too young to know what good music is. Or both.

16-17 year ago old me wore that tape OUT back in the day.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's cold blooded

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

Acdc are insanely overrated

:cripes:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Probably THE greatest rock and roll song of all time.

First time I heard it, I the started working all summer long to buy a cheap set of drums to learn how to play that song. Still play every now and then but man, my skills have diminished. I subscribe to the Steve Jordan method of less is more these days.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

i was literally combatting that all yesterday and this morning but like you learn how to slow the gently caress down frontways on command and you work on your muscle memory for that, then slowing the gently caress down backwards, then s turns and use the slow the gently caress downs as an oh-poo poo, and then after like a day of that something clicks and you have full range of motion with your back foot and can relax and enjoy it

There's nothing quite like the feeling of 'hell yeah, i'm doing awesome' *swish swhoosh swish* as you making you're way down the mountain only to be passed like you're standing still by a 2 or 3 year old girl in a pink ski suit with a binky in her mouth.

And women in skin tight yoga pants on the slopes are a health hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

ahahaha the missus randomly met up with an ex on the slopes. they went and hosed on our lunch break

headed to the coors factory tonight. what a fuckin vacation

say huh

• Locked thread