Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

buy the E90 M3 I've been :words: about for the last couple years. I'm sorely tempted to even go full dumb and buy that red one that Enthusiast Auto Group has because it is exactly what I want in a car.

Their stuff seems to always be way overpriced, but they have a couple '11 E9x M3s at about $40k, and that seems like a really good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

Having my new snow tires mounted right now. I had previously been quoted like $60 at Les Schwab for it, and went in there, guy got all pissy that i bought my tires online and said it was going to be $160. I have a wholesale acct at tirerack, so i don't really have much reason to pay retail at a shop.

Brought them to Firestone. 59.99.

My local Firestone will give that Tire Rack installation price if you bring them any new tires to mount on bare rims (and ask for the discounted installation). Best price going. The Tuffy and Goodyear by me are both close to that $160 mark.

The General Winter tires are very good. I have a set on my wife's Juke right now. Not nearly as squirrely on dry as Winters used to be, but in the snow, they are unstoppable. Good choice, especially for the price.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Happy New Year, nerds.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm switching the A/V setup in my family room and the equipment is not going to be line-of-sight.

Is there a good brand of receiver that has a decent on-screen display of volume and status? Right now we go by the receiver's volume level on the front of the unit, but if that isn't viewable, there's the probability of switching from muted programming at one volume to another at a much higher volume. We can tell that now by the receiver's volume level, but if we put them out of sight, we'd need an on-screen display... any thoughts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

[quote="Yu-Gi-Ho!" post=""467901497"]

This is a bottom of the line Onkyo that's probably 4 years old. You can do everything with the remote that you can do with the front panel. The remote's IR, but I assume you have something in mind for that already.
[/quote]

Yeah, like that. I'm using a base Yamaha and nice.Pioneer that's a few years old and neither have anything on screen through the HDMI output...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Having my first sour beer. Holy gently caress this thing is weird.

If weird = awesome, I agree.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

Gotta keep those fire safety regulations from putting unjust burdens on slumlords Small Business Owners. :patriot:

Stupid government regulations keeping money out of owner's pockets just to keep poors from burning. Unfair.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So in November '15, I found this:

Seminal Flu posted:

My "classroom lesson on why not to use Wikipedia" from 10 years ago was to vandalize a random page during class. We'd laugh about it, then move on. Wikipedia would fix it some time later.

A few years ago, I found that in at least one instance, other pages had copy/pasted that vandalized page as their own work.

Now I just found the exact thing that I put in Wikipedia as a joke in a class published as fact in a text book.

And after some investigation, the publisher gives no poo poo, but the information is research gold, especially with our current focus on "fake news." If I gave a poo poo about academics, it's a perfect dissertation topic for my PhD, but I couldn't give a poo poo less about that. So what do I do with such information to best capitalize on it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slurry_curry posted:

I guess. Just talked to them again and apparently the damage that happened to the front and rear bumper(screwed up clear bra on the front and scuffed up/dented rear bumper) happened since they have had it and won't change the price at all. They will fix the damaged clear bra, but I would have to pay for it, or else they would just remove the damaged parts but not everything. Apparently they also use body filler on bumpers to fix the waviness from impact and "all dealerships do this". Am I the crazy one for thinking that you NEVER use body filer on bumpers since with a slight tap it will fall off?

It's not body filler per second, but a special adhesive compound for bumpers. But gently caress that anyway, it's too new and too much money for that fuckery.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What's a reasonable price to buy an original owner 2001 S2000 w/ 78k miles? Silver/black. Looking to flip, so a price that would allow me to keep it for a couple months and sell it for a few grand profit in the Spring.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

Hey, we haven't had a "this is the general chat thread for discussing anything and everything, as long as it falls into these narrow categories..." derail in a while.

I'm a good poster and I think I should make fun of that other guy for being a bad poster (even though all posting is bad and should be mocked).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seminal Flu posted:

What's a reasonable price to buy an original owner 2001 S2000 w/ 78k miles? Silver/black. Looking to flip, so a price that would allow me to keep it for a couple months and sell it for a few grand profit in the Spring.

My number was $9k and I drove an hour and a half with cash to pick it up this morning. Came home with no car.

"Pefect" meant hit back bumper, door ding-type dents on every panel other than the RF fender, bolster on driver's seat crushed to gently caress... I didn't go any further than that before leaving. :(

And it was a nice 70-year-old lady that had it (was her husband's car until he died). Absolutely hosed over by the independent shop that she takes her car to. How bad? She paid $750 for off-brand tires for JUST the rear. She said they were "special tires that the shop had to order in." That kind of poo poo just makes me mad/sad. I'm all for companies making money, but 300% margins are just exploitative and wrong.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:siren:A deposit has been placed:siren:

Great color, great wheels, fun car. Nicely done.

What are the details?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Wheeler dealers did a maserati biturbo :haw:

Not really.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Of all the technical, complex stuff I do, replacing three-way light switches never fails to screw me over.

gently caress three-way light switches.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

3 way and 4 way light switches are dumb simple. Use a multimeter to figure out which is the common terminal, or if it's broken completely, open it up and figure it out. 3ways are literally just an SPDT toggle, 4ways are a DPDT prewired to either run the two wires straight through, or cross them over internally.

If I wanted to go all the way into the garage to grabe the meter, that would have been fine, but I was just switching out a standard Leviton switch for a Decora Leviton switch. I just swapped wire-for-wire and it was all hosed up. Bottom line was that the two switches were wired differently and one of the common's placement on the Decora switch was different. Just never fails, though... 3 way switches always end up taking more time than they should. :shrug:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I paid my student loans off recently thanks to my mum. She always felt awful that I had a massive student loan and she wasn't able to help, and one of our last conversations was about how she was at least glad that she'd be able to take care of that when she passed and she was glad that I wouldn't be paying $3000/month for 2 years to pay them off on my own

It's bittersweet :saddowns:

Congratulations, TT. That's a big investment in your future, so thanks to your mom.

In less emotional news, my wife and I paid off her loans from law school in November. It's more satisfying than I thought to take enough money to buy a new Mercedes and metaphorically light it on fire. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Man watching Trump, I can't wait to see the very, very tremendous beautiful job he's going to do. It's going to be fantastic, big league.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

However I implore people to use an amortization calculator to see exactly how much interest theyve paid already. The longer youre in a mortgage the less sense it makes to refinance.

Hard to make a sweeping argument like that, too many variables -- original/current interest rate, amount of principle, original length of original mortgage, time left on original mortgage, length of new mortgage, etc.

I closed on a refi on October 31, 15 years at 2.875%. Down a point from our previous refi, with the negotiated costs, it'll take us less than a year to pay the costs and from then on, it's saved money.

The next week, for some weird reason, interest rates shot up, so I think we got the lowest rate we'll see for a long time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Theres a thing here in the U S of A called fiduciary duty thats a binding legal document for a financial advisor to only take steps that put your moneys best interests at heart. Mind you this wont stop the small fee skimming, but its a super important litmus test to keep the super bad ones at bay.

There are a couple phrases in that pair of sentences that should have "quotation marks" around them.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

We need to go back a few years for me to really figure out who everyone is again.

I'm fka Sperglord Firecock.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

im meatpimp

Then you're a terrible poster and going back on my ignore list.

Adiabatic posted:

Its actually super goddamn serious if you get it in writing.

https://cyber.harvard.edu/trusting/unit5all.html

Lol at quoting fiduciary law from the 1980s. It's one thing to have something written... it's something else entirely to prove/enforce.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

I am genuinely impressed yall were able to arrive at your normal "the world is poo poo everything sucks" conclusion by means of the term "fiduciary duty". Seriously good job.

Wow, that's quite the exaggerated conclusion from three people simply disagreeing with your view.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I can't stand iOS devices, my wife and girl have ipads and I have an iphone for the FLIR. The interface never ceases to bother me with its non-intuitive, restrictive format.

I've been using a new AppleTV, though, and it works as a set top box very well. The stock remote is gimicky and a bit awful, but Harmony handles it very well.

Just something I was thinking.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

The more I learn about my friend's death the worse the narrative gets. Her life had just completely fallen apart and it's brought me to a state a near constant tears.

I figured it was more than something random... a mother of two young kids is not often in a dark alley alone unless she's in a dark place herself.

That sucks, Rhyno, I hope something good can come out of it. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

So Socialized medicine and 90℅ corporate taxes?

Yup, and before computers came about that made accounting/inventory management/planning/etc. trivial, so that it was easy for a large company to gobble up and absorb many other companies with little overhead increase, but huge profit increases... leading us to the global multinational monoliths that we have now, that are wholly "based" offshore and avoid even the smell of tax.

Yay capitalism, obviously the best and the solution to all of our problems.

eighty-four merc posted:

Modern cars are sweet, but I will never be able to afford one.

I see nothing interesting in modern cars. There's little innovation, just swoopy, angular metal play and some sorta-tech inside. That, combined with new cars being engineered to keep the owners from doing maintenance themselves, leaves me not giving a poo poo about what's new. I used to read/subscribe to R&T/Autoweek/C&D/Automobile/Motor Trend and others... I don't even pick them up at my dad's place anymore... new cars are either dead boring or obscenely expensive.

And society has bought into the whole "you need a new car because it's reliable and you need to be _safe_." Leaving self-reliance go by the wayside. So yeah, get that new car that the bank owns and lets you drive for the 7 years it'll take you to pay it off. I'll drive my old, but maintained Escalade and beater '00 Avalon. poo poo, the Avalon has dual zone automatic climate, heated seats, auto windows, JBL sound with a tiny subwoofer that at least makes a little bass, a $200 android head with bluetooth so it'll play anything on my phone. It's a boring appliance, but I have $1300 in it and it is perfectly okay for transportation. I'd MUCH rather have that than a new car where I'll give the bank/car company that $1300 on a bi-monthly basis just to have... what... ???

West SAAB Story posted:

I just made it home, and keykey gave me an awesome stash of SAABness. Where the hell is the thread to post it? I've not showered, washed clothing, or even dealt with the fact I spent the last month cleaning up a dead person's house..

Welcome back, viggen. Did anything good come out of the experience? :glomp:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 15, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jammyozzy posted:

The place is loving huge, it feels way bigger that Daytona even though the track length is the same.

It really is, and it's a blast to walk around. I haven't been there since pre-F1 configuration (where there was more of a golf course in the infield), but it was always a great place to spend time. It's one of those places that has a "presence."

blk posted:

Last night my wife told me she was considering separating. Based on how little we share in interests and values at this point, I would strongly consider it, but we have a four month old now and I don't know if he'd be better off with us together or apart. I feel like I did everything I could and still let him down.

gently caress 2017.

drat, that's some tough poo poo. That timing after the kid, though, could be still pointing at postpartum instead of a true, reasoned intent. Have you tried, or considered, counseling? Either separate or together, it could be a big help. :glomp:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

I'm your age. So far, I've:

Dropped out of school
Been arrested
Been fired from steak and shake
Spent three years washing dishes
Spent two years getting a useless degree in wrenching
Utterly failed in becoming a career mechanic
Spent a little over 3 years unemployed getting another degree with a year to go, just for a career I can never be certain I'll succeed at either

You could be doing a lot worse.

By that age, I'd:

Worked as a bus boy through high school (and made $8/hr after tips, the serving staff HATED tipping us out, but we were friends with the owners)
Lived on my own through two years and a half of University, one in dorms, one and a half in a sketchy basement apartment)
Embarked on a 4 year degree in Manufacturing Engineering, completed almost all of the classes required for the Major, but got bored with the whole "school" thing.
Quit school, moved back with my parents, sent out random resumes to keep my dad off my back.
Actually landed an interview, and got a job as a Process Engineer in a long-standing company that made colors/pigments/dyes for the Rubber and Plastics industry.
Was unbelievably in over my head on many projects, but pushed my way through and learned a shitload about 84" Rubber Mills, Banbury/Brabender Mixers, Cowles dispersers, homogenizers, air handling units, air compressors, faculty maintenance, managing a maintenance team that knew I was a) dead green, but also b) the boss.
Bought a nice house at 22, where the owners all around me were retired. They saw some poo poo over the next decade. :D
Got married, got divorced.
Transferred to another part of the company to manage their PC and LAN systems.

That was a fuckload for getting to 28. A lot of the opportunities I had are simply not available now. I recognize both my luck and privilege.

Now I teach a generation of kids that are objectively less focused on work and more on social poo poo. And I see a lot of people talking badly about them, and I cannot do that. Why? It's what I tell those people --

You cannot say anything bad about them -- WE MADE THEM. We let them grow up weak. That does not translate into strong adults.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 16, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

eighty-four merc posted:

Jesus christ, dude.

You're right, "hooray for everyone" is the best mantra.

Further, they have been taught that "The way to get a good job is to do well in high school so you can get into a good college so you can get a good job." This wasn't taught 30 years ago. The trades are important and can make more than a college grad... They have no concept of finances, credit, how to fix even the most simple things... they are weak in that they have no self-reliance.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 16, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Anyone older than me is an ignorant greedy boomer. Anyone younger than me is a lazy feckless millennial.

Only people born within 10 minutes in either direction are normal, functional people.

At 45, I can't claim responsibility for millenials, but I can't ignore the fact that I'm close enough that I have to. Somebody has to. Boomers hosed a lot of things up, and the upcoming generation is going to have to clean it up. Those of us in the middle have to help where we can.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Maybe they aren't into the whole school thing because they realize there aren't many jobs waiting for them when they get out?

Idk just spitballing here

Oh, I'm sure that's part of it for some. There's also the crushing debt that they need to undertake to get a degree that most people over the age of 40 don't even consider as a factor. They think that "there's always been student loans needed" without recognizing that the economic cost of schooling has doubled, plus, in the last 15 years, or the fact that student loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy anymore.

We've stacked the deck against a whole generation that we're supposed to be bringing up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Raluek posted:

Last time I looked the numbers up (a couple years ago), it had doubled since 2006 and tripled since 2000.

It depends on the state and school, double covers just about everyone, there are certainly examples of more than double.

I'm not entirely anti-college, though. It does have some valuable benefits, many of them intangible. There are also ways to go to college without getting fully finance-raped. A lot of 2-year schools have programs that funnel their graduates into 4-year schools. There's a quick $10k+ savings right there.

I've looked into this quite a bit, starting from when a home-schooled student told me several years ago that the advice her mom gave her was that when she got out of college, she "should be in car-sized debt, not house-sized debt." I thought she was joking first, then I did the math. It's a loving frightening future we're lining up for a _lot_ of people.

Then for lol-ing, there was a conversation on NPR this week about how the housing industry is wondering why millenials are not getting into the house-buying market. loving lol.

And for tinfoil-hatting, which group would be more likely to raise a riot -- a group that is educated and free, or a group that is educated, but shacked with debt that needs to be paid back?

And for further research -- look at the penalties that are in place for defaulting on student loans. The lending agency doesn't hold on to the loans for very long into default before they funnel the debt on to collections, that adds a ridiculous penalty (something on the order of 20%+) along with collections fees. loving ludicrous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

2. Boomers are the ones who directly profited from the student loan industry.

Very, very few have profited from the student loan industry. That's straight bank-industrial complex profit right there. But those in it? Profit big league.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wife called me to say that the Flex just displayed "Low Oil Pressure" warning light. A cursory google search says most people experience a sensor failure, or it could be something stuck in the oil screen and or/oil pump failing. I told her to drive it home and park it. She is all pissed off at me because she said she wasn't done going to some stores she needed to. :mad:

How could she justify being pissed of at you? You have no control over the inner workings of the motor... and I'm sure the fine items she NEEDED to purchase at the store will still be there and she won't die before she gets to those stores to buy those fine items...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I don't want to go to this viewing.

Stay strong.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

He can't, that's all he can afford. :rimshot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

To be a better person tomorrow than I am today.

And it's pretty broad statement to make.

Be a better father. Better friend. Better boss. Better pilot.

Hell a better ex husband.

Make my bed better than I did the previous day. Take pride in the most meaningless task. To not dread anything but look forward to the challenge of the difficulty, the dullness, the simplicity of it. I look for improvements in small ways...almost unnoticeably small things. But I know that all those little small things I try and do better add up to doing bigger things being better. Try and do every task as best as I can. To not have a fear of failure. I don't care if anyone else notices, only that I do. Drink less, eat better. Smoke less, run or bike more. Try and get better at sweeping a loving floor. Dress better, shave more often, better posture.

To have pride in everything I do or am but not arrogant about it.

Tony Robbins is apparently my spirit animal.

That's a much healthier sounding Tide than we've seen in a while... welcome back!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm not laughing because I'm happy, or crying because I'm sad.

Probably just an ABS sensor on one corner. Hopefully.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On laptop chat, today is a momentous day -- I do not have a warranty on my laptop. That's the first time since 2006 -- ON ONE DELL ORDER.

I bought an M1710 for $2200 in 2006 with their Complete Care warranty, they couldn't give me a laptop that lasted more than a year or year and a half, each time replaced with a "like or better" unit. It was an ordeal with Dell Hell every time, but they replaced about 7 or 8 laptops since the original purchase. I took advantage of warranty extensions that were offered on some of the replacements, $350 one time for a couple years, $600 another time for a few years.

It caused much strife with Dell, since I was fully outside their system (that said no more than 4 years, total, of warranty on a purchase), I ended up speaking directly with one of their senior VPs on a couple replacements, but it was a fun ride.

As it is, I ended up with an Alienware 17 R4, i7-6700HQ, 32gb ram, 970 vid card and a couple x.2 drives. One of my better deals. :D

Insurance ended yesterday. :rip:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Alienware was kind of floundering under Dell for a while, till Michael came back. Michael Dell is probably the only reason Dell didn't end up like HP. :)

I can tell you, from experience, that some of then were pure crap. The M17x R4 I had before this one, though, was a goddamned tank. This one has been solid, I had my first accidental repair on it (out of the entire 10 years, all were machine failures other than this) when my dog knocked it over and stomped the UHD display. :( Hopefully this last one lasts for a while.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Instead of the scary stuff happening in Washington tomorrow, watch this, instead!

https://www.indoguration.com/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

loving massive cuts to the DoE Laboratory system. :negative:

FML.

Buckle up boys, science is gonna get bumpy. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just as we see on a larger scale -- the nerd that wants to lead is often the wrong person for it. Nobody in their right mind would want to "moderate" this group. :laugh:

• Locked thread