Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Couple of great bargains for the UKers:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...71151&0&cc5_701
5l of concentrated screenwash for £2.36 (add the promo code XMAS) delivered! (offer ends today)

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...6-_-halfordsoil
5l of fully synthetic oil for £12, instead of £36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

80s/90s, gay, pop music.

*edit: just found out Statham was in this too... :allears:

https://youtu.be/uWu3JqLMImY

Wow.

He definitely found himself a niche career there.

spog fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 5, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tide posted:

Is it impossible to have one loving thread on this used to be funny comedy forum as whole not end up being a goddamned political shitfest? No one is going to change anyones mind and all that ends up happening is someone getting the sandiest vagina EVER.

Oh cool, 100 new posts in this thread. There must be something pretty darn interesting happening in the automotive world.

Oh.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

UK:

Halfords are still offering their fully synthetic oils at £12 for 5 litres. This usually goes for a solid £36 and there is nothing on the market that cheap (even Tesco's no-name stuff is £20/4litres)

Don't know why they are selling it off so cheap (it's not like it goes off in the warehouse) - perhaps they are bumping their year end figures? - but it's time to stock up.

At that price, I wonder if I can use it to cook my chips in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Found out yesterday that baby #3 is going to be a boy. That makes for girl, boy, boy. Really had no preference either way. My inkling thought it would be a girl which was wrong obviously. Pretty stoked and looking forward to my wife not being sick anymore.

Congrats.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Any UK goons got home CCTV? I'm thinking of putting a Swann system up incase my neighbour escalates his dickheadery beyond passive-aggressive but I'm open to recommendations.

I got a professional system fitted, so probably not what you are after, but I will say that you should definitely spring for HD cameras

All those ones with smartphone apps look clever and useful, but check reviews on the basic DVR software as to how easy it is to search and retrieve video files. I get the impression that a lot of them are shite.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Jack Reacher is bad movie but Rosamund Pike is pretty easy on the eyes so it's not a total wash.

'World's End'

Has Rosamund Poke in it, plus the plot is slightly more plausible than Cruise ' s ninja detective genius in JR.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Is there DVR software that doesn't suck??? The Dahua software (SmartPSS) when I looked a few years ago was among the best rated but it's still obviously designed to run on Windows XP and poorly programmed / terrible interface.

There was an A/T thread a while back that had some knowledgable people in it. Might be worth slogging through search to find it.

EDIT

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Not it, but might be useful.

spog fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 10, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kastein posted:

Wow that's a special kind of retarded. How are his parents taking it?

Regretting the mother drinking during pregnancy, I guess.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

eighty-four merc posted:

gently caress cops.

Well, that's one way to get out of a ticket, I suppose.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

What wood should I buy to go between jackstands and my vehicle? The frame rails under the Datsun are kind of bent and don't sit well on top of the jackstands. Do I want 2x4? 4x4?

Avoid chipboard for obvious reasons.

And whatever that cardboard - type stuff Ikea cupboards are made of.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sinestro posted:

I don't know how to have my best friend not murder me. His girlfriend broke up with him because she found out that he's friends with me, at first because he's not allowed to talk to any other women for any reason and then later because she found out that I'm trans and will therefore condemn him to hell... I made the mistake of telling him good riddance, because holy gently caress of course, but he's not ready to see it yet.

Give it a couple of months * and the he'll be grateful to you for the rest of his life for dodging that crazy bullet.

*whenever he next has sex.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?

Mortgage payments.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"

"Dachshunds"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Just been down a bumpy track and my suspension started making a hell of a racket, so I diverted to the nearest garage. Better safe than sorry. I'll get them to check it is nothing serious, then I'll drive home and get it fixed there.

Turned into the forecourt and there was a comical 'boing!' and the top of the coil fell off.

Just as well I did stop, really. Now how to kill the next 3 hours until they swap the springs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've worked out that, excluding a gearbox, I've spent more on coil springs than all the other repairs and maintenance combined. (Buy a car and I'll have to replace a spring within a year)

I'm seriously considering buying a range rover, just to avoid this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

My Cutlass did that once. Fortunately the spring stayed in (double a-arm with the shock through the middle, and I just continued on the 1 mile home, carefully. Literally that noise, too.

The broken spring came out of the cup on mine and the mechanic believed that even a 10 min drive home stood a good chance of the spring ending up shredding the tyre. I was 1.5 hrs from home when it happened.

Fair play to Kwikfit - I rocked up with no appointment during a busy time and they ordered the springs in, fitted them and did the alignment in exactly 3 hours, as promised.

It was a loving hilarious 'booing.. clank!' Sound.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was originally going to leave some recommendations on who I thought would be a good fit but then I realized that quite frankly I wouldn't wish that poo poo on anyone right now.

Should we be getting you a card and cake?

Will someone be passing around an envelope so we can stick our hand in it, shake it and pretend we make a donation?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

So for the numbskulls at the back of the class (me), can someone tl;dr on what the hell is going on? That QCS thread just got me more confused since I never really leave AI or DIY these days.

I think we're supposed to make racist jokes now. It's hard to tell.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Enterprise gave me a brand new (360 mile) Fiesta Ecobost as a car hire. I'd been wanting to have a drive of one of these. Steering seems good.

What colour is it?

(I hear that affects insurance)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Actually, that thread is why I've got it. We were going to use my mate's car for a journey, and then it got bummed to death by a Transit.

I recall somewhere reading that forgetting to tell the insurance company something (such a a mod) will not affect a claim unless that mod had (or potentially had) an effect on the incident.

e.g. telling them the car is red not blue will not prevent a payout for your being rear-ended by a tranny (phrasing)

However respraying your car with invisibility paint could prevent a payout

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

poo poo I just found someone selling a morris traveler in pieces near where I live and it's affordable. I don't have any money though. Serves me right for looking.

If it is any consolation, you have not missed out on a car in CKD condition that you can put together into a working vehicle: you've missed out on some boxes of spare parts that happened to come from the same car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kastein posted:

You're welcome england, no one remembers your little farce known as brexit anymore. In fact I bet if you just play it cool the EU will forget you even brought it up.

Brexit gave a major knock to my British arrogance and superiority complex: how could we be so dumb?

Fortunately, you guys reset the bar to a new low.

InitialDave posted:

We wish. At least you get a go at getting Trump out in 4 years.

Bless you for having the optimism that civilisation will last another 4 years.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

Working my way through an unfeasibly large stack of xmas chocolate

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I'm welding! :science:
These are my first few attempts ever

I'm loving terrible!!!! And I'm going to weld a new bung onto my exhaust and fabricate some basic mounts in my engine compartment :downs:

Did you repair my exhaust?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slothrop posted:

I'll tell you what makes a man. A man has a ute. A ute like this

Don't have a ute? You're not a man

Frankly most of your Utes are hosed. Get better Utes

Most men don't have uteruses

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Enourmo posted:

I dunno, is your partner having a moral crisis over the fact that at one point they wished genuine harm on someone who punched them in the face? Are they concerned over whether they can ever call themselves a good person over hating someone that hurt them?

I want to hurt them on your behalf and I know that I am Good Person.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Like I said my main crisis is the fact I still get this pissed about it nearly a decade on. Also that the only time I was remotely in shape was that I had the fantasy of "getting even" as motivation, cause that's loving healthy, right?

If it will help your health and fitness, I am willing to come and piss on your lounge carpet and let you bear a grudge against me whilst doing the running scene from Rocky.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Working retail and hearing the same songs by them over and over and over and over and over has killed any notion of enjoyment of them.

Isn't that true of any musician/group?

Paradise City is a great track, but play the game Burnout Paradise for an hour and you'll hate it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

That would imply that the Cheeto in Chief has any idea how the constitution or government in general works.

https://twitter.com/SamiraAhmedUK/status/825397579299045380

spog
Aug 7, 2004

freelop posted:

Trump's victory has had a very good impact on the shares of the company I work for.
You don't want to know what we produce.

Children's pageant swimsuits?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Check it and check it carefully! Mine would have been paid off a number of years ago except that when I first started working hmrc lost all my payments for 3-4 years (until I noticed) and then it took months to sort it out and they still didn't get it right.

I've just spent a week trying to complete my online Self Assessment Tax Return for HMRC, due to finding a bug in their system that they didn't know how to resolve.

The last page of the form has a free text box to include additional information about your tax return. It doesn't accept the '%' or '£' symbols in it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

On top of that, this whole EO regarding travel bans was never run past the DOJ or DHS before a couple hours before signing. It's just something Bannon and company cooked up and realized they'd never get past anyone with a legal background, so pushed it straight to signing.

I'm almost more offended that this action was done so incompetently, rather than the horrible, bigoted nature of it.

It's like you expect politicians to enact policies to discriminate against people and screw over the vulnerable, but the fear comes when you realise that a badly thought-out order from above, which was possibly written in crayon, can affect the entire machinery of a civilised country.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

ahahaha the missus randomly met up with an ex on the slopes. they went and hosed on our lunch break

headed to the coors factory tonight. what a fuckin vacation

Wut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

the spyder posted:

9, and this is the first issue we've had. Well, outside of him YouTub'ing "Naked Woman". That was a fun one.

Sounds like boyo has $100-worth of car washing and chores to do.

• Locked thread