Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm like 1500 posts behind on the December thread, so I think I'll just let it rest in peace with 2016 and move on with this thread. Doing my normal amazing NYE celebration, sitting at home alone at my computer. Maybe I'll actually have a drink in a bit.

Tire-mounting chat. The local Fletcher's manager gave me an unbeatable deal to mount my stupidly hard to deal with racing tires (Hoosier radial slicks) on 16x12 rims for me. I would drop the rims with old tires off in the morning, and come pick them up just before they closed. As long as I didn't leave the old rubber there for them to dispose of, the price was a $20 bill to the tech that did the work. I no longer have the race car, and that manager is no longer there, so I'll never again see that amazing sort of tire mounting deal I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Phoenix drivers, particularly on I-10 have no idea what turn signals are, do they?

Nope!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

You mean the lever that makes drivers take up the room you had to merge?

Yep!

I still signal, but I signal as I'm making my lane change just because of this behavior here. I remain legal(ish), but don't provide enough warning for dickheads to accelerate enough to block me. I figure that's better than the oddballs I see periodically that signal for so loving long that it's assumed that they are just driving with the signal on rather than actually planning to do something.

Of course the best ones are the dopes that signal to move over out of the high-speed lane, then don't change lanes quickly, therefore the spot they had to merge into closes up, so rather than keep up with the traffic and hit the next opening, they begin to slow, until they've dropped down to 10 or so below the speed of the lane next to them, and then they can't get over because of the continuous flow of people driving around them from the lane they are in. In some cases it's not even because the lose the merge spot due to an rear end in a top hat, but rather because they apparently think they need a clear city block or so of space to make their lane change, and wait so long (while slowing of course) that the traffic behind them begins to pass on their right.

slurry_curry posted:

I get the credit card fee side of things, and if they wold address it from that side I would be fine instead of just saying nope. If they would offer me a discount for not using a credit card that would be fine and I would jump on it. I only want to use my CC for the miles.

The CC fee might be an issue for most dealers on a basic new car where the margin might be sort of slim to start with, but for a used car? On a MB lot? gently caress those guys, they probably only have about 60% of the asking price (if that) into the car they are selling. If there is one thing I learned from my very brief foray in to car sales (bad decision on my part, but it was an interesting experience) it is that used cars have a gigantic markup on them on every lot.

I worked in new car sales, but once in a while would walk a customer over to used when they couldn't financially get into a new car, and oh my god the commissions were so much better in used, even when splitting them with a used car guy. The dealership would make more money on a single used car sale at $8,000 (after dropping the price by a third to make the sale) than 10 or more average new car sales. The exceptions in new cars were the premium sales - kitted out SUV's, Corvettes, etc.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 5, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Novocaine I can deal with, but one of them is impacted so I have to see an oral surgeon, which will almost certainly entail significant sedation. I'll have them do all four because gently caress separate recovery times.

I had two root canals done on the Tuesday after Christmas and the tendon on that side of my face is only today finally not swollen.

I only had a single wisdom tooth that actually managed to break through my gum to be visible, and I had to have it pulled last year due to a cavity that was not in a place they could fix it. It wasn't super terrible, just a straight-forward numbing and pull. Did take several days for the bleeding to stop, so it was pretty annoying from a full healing perspective, but I never needed anything other than large doses of ibuprofen (800mg) to deal with the pain.

My other three wisdom teeth though, are all pointing directly forward into the roots of the molars in front of them, and none of them break through the gums into my mouth. I'm dreading the day that any of them start giving me problems, as they will be full-on oral surgery to remove. Several dentists earlier in my life said I should get them out, but as I've gotten older the tune has changed to "yea, if those aren't bothering you, leave them alone." It seems to be as much an evolution in how they approach dental health (i.e. stop pulling wisdom teeth just 'because') as my age I think.

CommieGIR posted:

I have a tooth that needs a root canal. Even with dental insurance, it's not in our budget for a while.

Yea, dental insurance is a joke. It's a complete mystery to me how dental and vision got separated from medical. Are my teeth and vision not somehow important parts of my body and overall health? :iiam:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

More Zip Tie Drags info :getin:

Anyone else actually going to this? I know I spotted at least one goon car in some of the early FB posting :v:

I'd sort of like to go, but I'm not going to take a Friday off work for it, and on that Saturday I have a meeting in Sun Lakes from 10-12, so it's very unlikely that I'll go down at all. The Focus wouldn't be much fun to drag with (especially with these old tires on it - I can now break them loose easily at any point in 2nd gear even rolling into the throttle) so I'd just be spectating anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

we're with state farm, they've been nothing but fantastic to us.

State Farm has been pretty good with me also. My last two collisions (neither at fault) the agent was very helpful and was more than ready to file the claim and go after the other companies if they gave me a rough time, and with the last one even made a call to the other companies rep to let them know if they didn't stop being shitheads that I was going to go through State Farm for the claim and they'd be going after the biggest settlement they could get. After that call the other company stopped being dicks and settled.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo for truth. I've had to explain to multiple guys root cause analysis and how to do it. Do they not teach this in Comp Sci? (I didn't go to school for Comp Sci, I went for Math and Physics)

I work in QA, and about half the time I can figure out pretty much what is causing an issue and include that analysis in the defect before handing it to Dev. A good portion of the time they argue with me for quite a while about how whatever I tell them isn't possible, yet somehow, about 95% of the time, I end up being right. Doesn't matter, next time the cycle of arguing and trying to blame something else other than the code will start over again. It's a never ending cycle of having to prove to Dev that they are wrong, and it's not my data or my test case causing the issue, it really is a problem where they didn't meet the requirements.

Luckily I don't take it personally, and get some sort of twisted enjoyment out of the whole thing most of the time, and on those rare occasions where hey, it really was something stupid I did when testing, I have no problem manning up and taking that responsibility. Strangely none of the Devs seem to hate me, and some of them even go to lunch with me and the BA's on most days.

Edit: My favorite Dev response - "It works fine on my local!" :rolleyes:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 6, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Had 2 wisdom teeth, went under completely and had them removed at 12-13. A+ would recommend.

That might have been a helpful recommendation about 40 years ago!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

I never thought I would say this, but that quote makes me so happy I moved into a solutions architect role. I still feel dirty working on the sales side of things.

I hate sales and could never do it for a living. Tried it, sucked at it, and hated it.

slurry_curry posted:

That was my go to policy, but some places I worked thought it would make the Dev's lives way easier if they could make code pushes on their own! All it took was a dev pushing go on a production release at 4pm on a friday and walked out the door. About 20 minutes later, our pagers go crazy. Thankfully after that they decided to let me restrict ALL of the dev's access.

Heh, that wouldn't fly at all in my work. The Dev's only have limited access to production for trouble-shooting client issues, and then only if it gets escalated. The Dev's can only push to the Dev environment, and we don't take builds into QA until they've passed basic automated shake-out tests in the Dev environment. Of course plenty of 'new functionality' defects get through those basic tests into QA, where we find them and log the defects for fixing.

Our releases are on a fixed schedule because we are contractually obligated to all of our clients to release 30, 60, and 90 day bulletins with information about the upcoming release so that they can do any coding that they need to do on their side for any changes coming down the pipe in our release. The actual push to release is handled by a completely separate group, so for anything to get to production it has to go to the Dev environment, then get accepted and taken to QA, from there it gets deployed 30 days prior to release to the UAT environment so the clients can test all their code against it. Our internal QA testing including extensive automated regression continues right up until release day.

Any release because of defect fixes that has to go to production outside of the fixed release dates requires a big emergency release process that gets everyone's attention (because it requires their approval) all the way up to about the 2nd to last level of company management, therefore we do our best to avoid those, as senior management asks some pretty pointed and uncomfortable questions about how a defect that significant got through our process to production.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

At least in TX, EMS is usually part of the city fire department if the city is large enough to have a paid fire department, and the ambulances are parked at the fire station in one of the bays. The firefighters are almost always cross trained to at least an EMT Basic level, and calling for an ambulance often gets a fire truck too.

Rural areas will sometimes have a county-run EMS service, others may contract with the nearest city or a private company.

The city I'm in requires all firefighters be at least EMT Basic certified, and has almost all ALS ambulances (if not all of them).

I always thought most cities had EMS under the FD. Guess not?

Dallas runs EMS under the FD as well, though they'll station ambulances around the city during the afternoon and evening. They have contracts with private companies for overflow, which was a big deal last year in the news when that cost came to light (it would be a lot cheaper long term to buy more ambulances and hire more EMTs).

MGS can provide more details, but in this area many of the big cities have the ambulance service as part of the fire department and are paid accordingly, but it's ridiculously competitive to land a job with one of those departments.

The outlying areas and unincorporated areas are serviced under contract by one of the many company names that are all actually Rural Metro, a private company that apparently doesn't pay their employees for poo poo. Also since they are all the same parent company, the illusion of competition for contracts is false. This is where MGS works.

Edit:

For reference, pay a couple years ago for Phoenix Fire Department (base pay only, not including service bonuses, deferred compensation or other allowances and pay for special training.
Entry-level firefighter - $46,312
Early-career firefighter - $59,300 (5.5 years of service)
Firefighter paramedic - $72,221

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 8, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

...looking forward to my wife not being sick anymore.

Until you knock her up with #4. :v:

Grats.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:siren:A deposit has been placed:siren:

itshappening.gif

This is going to be the longest ~2-3 weeks of my life.

That is one drat pretty car. Very nice.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno's acquaintances are the best loving entertainment. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I think we can be pretty sure he's going to get himself into further situations that result in people shooting him.

Hopefully it's by a cop so that there is a huge internal struggle on whether to defend the cop, or the other decorated cop's offspring. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Lol, even Rhyno's cat's an rear end in a top hat.

To be fair to Rhyno, pretty much all cats are assholes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

Last time I was in Pheonix(in July since I am an idiot), it was 115(~46c) every day. I remember sitting at the pool at 11pm and it was still 105 out. It was nice to see my family down there, but holy poo poo how do people live there.

Two words.

Air conditioning.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wrar posted:

Stolen water and AC. It's super-wasteful.

Stolen?

Until fairly recently the area got water from the Verde and Salt River basins and pumped ground water. Who exactly is it being stolen from?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Am I crazy or did the ev mega thread disappear? I'm like four years behind but I also have archive access. Am I just an idiot or is it somehow missing?

This one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461390

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So does anyone here like Papa John's pizza and want a bunch of them for very close to nothing? Well have I got the program for you!

So Papa John's is running a promo for a free large 1 topping pizza if you use Visa Checkout. I am not sure when this promotion ends.

Here is how it works. You go and order whatever pizza you want from them, and pay via Visa Checkout, and they send you in an email, a promo code for a free large 1 topping pizza.

Here is why you can make this give you very cheap pizza. You can use other promo codes both when getting this one, and when using it, stacking the promotion.

Step 1 - Get online and find a 40% or 50% off promo code (or whatever special code you want to use).

Step 2 - Place your order using the 50% off promo code and check out using Visa Checkout.

Step 3 - An email will arrive within 24 hours with a promo code for a free large 1 topping pizza.

Here is where it gets good and cheap.

Step 4 - Get online and use your promo code for a free pizza. Now, modify that pizza order to make the cost at least $4. This can be as simple as upsizing to Extra large, or adding a few toppings.

Step 5 - Check out using Visa Checkout.

Step 6 - Get an email with a promo code for a free large 1 topping pizza.

Repeat until you explode from eating too many $4 pizza's I suppose.

You can use this on delivery or carryout, but I don't think the delivery charge counts towards the $4 minimum to get another promo code.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

That's is a very goid system, but I see one very critical flaw in your plan:

You have to order, and presumibly eat, a pizza from Papa Johns :barf:

No idea how it is in your part of the country, but here locally I have the choices of:
Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Little Ceasar's.

I like Pizza Hut but the local store is complete poo poo with terrible service and they can never get an order right to save their lives, and they somehow manage to make Pizza Hut pizza terrible compared to where I used to live. Domino's and Little Ceasar's are both poo poo, which leaves Papa John's. I get a pizza maybe once every 3 months, so I won't be abusing this, although I will try to remember to claim my free pizza sometime in the next 30 days (the code in the email is only valid for 30 days).

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone who does like their pizza and want's to get it on the cheap.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Sloppy execution. I did one way more betterer.

:golfclap:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/24/2017-01798/special-observances-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion-proc-9570

Check this poo poo out. Y'all ready to celebrate Dear Leader's ascension? Because he's already signed an EO to make the day of his inauguration a holiday.

This is some funny poo poo right here. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/24/2017-01798/special-observances-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion-proc-9570

Check this poo poo out. Y'all ready to celebrate Dear Leader's ascension? Because he's already signed an EO to make the day of his inauguration a holiday.

So it turns out, that this is apparently a fairly normal (albeit seemingly strange) Presidential tradition:

President Obama did the same thing in 2009, only his was a National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation.
https://web.archive.org/web/20091101095516/http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/NationalDayofRenewalandReconciliation2009

George W Bush called it a National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29760

Clinton called it a National Day of Fellowship and Hope:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=62463

George H.W. Bush also called it a National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=20424

What a weird tradition, but obviously nothing to call out the Trumpster for I guess.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Boss still said I looked like hell and gave me the shift block off, with pay despite me not having any actual sick days.

Good on your boss.

We just got a new HR software suite at my office, and I was poking around in it and discovered that apparently my company is really bad at keeping track of sick days for salaried employee's, even when said employee has made sure to put every single day used into the time tracking system (not really time cards, since salary, but used to track time against different projects).

According to my personal records I should have 17 sick days available. According to the new HR system, I actually have 39 sick days available. :dance:

I asked my boss what to do about it, and he said "That will come in handy if you ever get really sick and somehow manage to use up your 6 weeks of major medical". Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wallaka posted:

Yeah, until they reconcile that poo poo.

I'm still keeping my own records, but the old HR system was a huge pile of crap and many of the managers didn't use it, and even if you put your time into it the managers often wouldn't check and 'approve' them so they'd drop off. I doubt it will ever get fixed, but not planning on using it anyway, and it doesn't get paid out if I leave, so it's just a funny number for me to joke about.

• Locked thread