Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

Ronald Reagan.

Holy poo poo, this is one of my new favorite posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

I have some militaria on the wall of my house, a nice plaque I got as a going-away from one of my commands, etc. Should I take that junk down?

If it makes you happy to look at it, keep it up. Being embarrassed to have reminders of your military time is an over reaction to not being a moto douche after getting out. Find a happy medium and live in it. I still wear my green hoodies and my old navy working jacket every now and again.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

however then she starts talking about negative energy and Himalayan salt and positive ions and I just wanna shut my ears.

Whenever people science cargo cult me like that I just like to start asking them real science questions to let them squirm for a minute. If you don't actually understand what an ion is, how can you be sure it has health benefits.

I know, I'm a dick

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Okay I wasn't the only one.

Nah, I thought it but wasn't going to be the one to post it

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Zeris posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A POUND OF CHICKEN INTO etc

Good way to destroy a VCR IMO

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I've always felt like Generation Kill was the most accurate military thing I've ever seen. The driver guy who was always hopped up on ripits was like 1/2 the people I met in the military. Only one Rudy-a-like, but a billion of that guy.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

no like there is a sex toy/products MLM and a lot of base housing wives were into it

Yeah I remember hearing that they were all garbage (of course) from a chick I was dating. It's definitely a thing.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Patton gets the dead wife waiver from me as well. He might have been a dick on set for King of Queens because it was a garbage show by a garbage person (Kevin James). I'm sure the paycheck was worth it, but if you have to work with lovely people like James, you're probably going to be more of a dick because the awfulness just drips off James like hot butter on a sitcom turkey.

Is there any reason to think James is an awful person and not just a person who maxes out at 'fat-guy physical comedy?' He doesn't seem like a bad guy, he just has a really limited range.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah I admit that he's a garbage actor, but the way that post was worded it made it sound like he was an unrepentant racist or something.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/8/14550798/god-wick-john-wick

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

TBeats posted:

Having a w/d with roommates can be annoying if you don't lay down ground rules.

There's no reason to leave your poo poo in the washer for seven hours on a Sunday while you go out for the day. Don't start it if you're not gonna be around to finish it.

My roommates and I had an understanding that if you left poo poo for more than an hour it could be thrown on your bed if dry, or left on top of the dryer if wet. Then I moved into a building without laundry, which was a huge mistake.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Got to take some better photos when the house guests are not in town.
Anyways that's the apartment. I know I need better pictures and descriptions.

drat dude that's really nice. If I wasn't stuck in Philadelphia for the next three years I'd be all about that

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The kitchen especially had me sold. That would like, quadruple my counterspace.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

This is insane. Pro clicks.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
This is the first time in forever I haven't had to file taxes legally, since I made like $1800 this year. I should probably do it anyways though, right?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
To whoever was asking about a laptop: call your school and ask what they recommend. Many programs use specific (and often proprietary) software and apps, or provide you with academic software they want you to use. Even if it's 'any PC should work,' that's almost never the case, and minimizing the hassle of finding out that your new Surface won't run some stupid graphing program or whatever is worth spending thirty minutes on the phone with a tech support guy from the school. It's even worth crossing the PC/Mac divide.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2017

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
That sounds like a pretty baller but totally ridiculous way to spend your benefits. More power to you if you already have your employment situation straightened out.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I think we all gave up on giving earnest advice after Blue Squares went and got a rhetoric degree. Now it's just "gently caress it man, whatever makes you happy."

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I got a kid at work who really wanted to get a CDL with his GI bill. I am strongly recommending that he not do that because lol commercial drivers aren't going to exist in 10-15 years.

I'd guess the big layoff will happen much sooner than that. I'd give it 5-6 before it's functionally impossible to get a job as a new commercial driver and a few more before it's a weird niche that only exists on the outskirts of civilization.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

That's so loving insane, how did that guy climb that far with 20 lb brass balls weighing him down like that

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

This didn't work for me, for some reason. I got the Goon doctor and stupid mobile game discords to work but for some reason that is broke.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Vasudus posted:

A ~200 dollar suit that is well tailored will do the job for "I put this on twice a year" no problem. Nobody* (in DC, in my industry) really cares about that. The expense for suits goes up exponentially when you're talking fabric and brands; a well made suit of good material is expensive but it will also last a lot longer and most of the places that sell them are brand name. So that's where the "haw haw I have an expensive suit" stuff comes from - if you wear one everyday, it becomes more of an issue.

Honestly go to Suit Supply if you know very little and don't want to spend a ton. Their sales guys at every store I've been to have been really good, and their stuff is really high on the quality/price ratio, and cut in a way that straddles between conservative in modern in a way that's great for young professional guys. Get a Navy/Charcoal in their more conservative cut (the sales people will know). They also have in-house tailoring and deliver out of state.

EDIT: The "I don't wear a suit, but am a professional adult" wardrobe is, at minimum:

Grey Suit
Navy Suit
2-3 white dress shirts
2-3 light blue dress shirts
Brown Shoes + Matching Belt
Black Shoes + Matching Belt
3-4 conservative business ties
1 black tie
A couple lightweight v-neck sweaters, at least one black

Add in a few sport coats and some dress shirts that are made to be open collar, for like, date nights or dinners

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

August crew wins again

I don't know who she is, but I'll put in work

• Locked thread