Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TBeats posted:

He posts in the trump thread in cspam all the time

Lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

does anyone know anything about buying a UPS? i don't like venturing outside GiP anymore and I want one for this server I snagged from work

I recently bought this one for work through Allied Electronics: http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-2200VA-LCD-120V-US/P-SMT2200US

Granted, it is for our CMM since we have lovely power in the plant that flickers at least one every two days and hosed up the control board for the CMM twice in 4 months because of the power drops. Power has flickered several times since and no problems, it handles the CMM and the computer that runs the software just fine. I haven't tested how long it will actually run the CMM for, but that's not relevant for us since we bought it to be a power conditioner more than a battery backup. It has an easy to use menu to configure it, and can be managed over a network I think. It's advertised as one to use for a server, we just happened to repurpose ours a little bit since the company we bought the CMM from wanted to charge way too much for their power conditioner. APC (American Power Corporation, which is owned by Schneider) seems to be a pretty good brand, I have a (much) smaller one on my work PC and can get about 15-20 minutes of power running one computer and two monitors when the power goes out at work (which is more often than you'd think, we get alot of tornadoes and poo poo down here) and has saved my rear end several times to let me save my work.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I just got a call from my dad that his neighbor hung himself in his backyard last night, he was a marine vet who had been out of work for several months and had creditors coming around all the time and couldn't find a job that he could commute to. If you're lurking this and you are thinking that maybe suck starting a shotgun or hanging yourself is a good idea, get help. Talk to someone at the veterans crisis line (1-800-273-8255) or go to our get help thread and post there and someone will shoot you some contact details and you can talk it out with someone one on one. There is always someone who can and will listen to you and can hopefully help you find a better solution.

E: This applies to non-vets too, if you are down on your luck and thinking of checking out, pop by the get help thread and ask to talk to someone or pop into the GiP discord and talk to someone. Your family and neighbors will miss you, even if you think they won't.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 22, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

What's your job outlook looking like btw Duzzy? Any bites? Whats your plan if you have to go back to Germany other than drinking awesome beer and eating a variety of sausage based meat dishes?

E2: Also how many Koreans do you think will fit in a carry on bag?

The story is the same almost everywhere. I get a stupid ratio of job interviews to applications, but at the end of the day, the question "Will you now, or in the future, require a sponsorship for a work visa" isn't illegal to ask, and it pretty much breaks my neck. It's pretty much as I anticipated / was told to expect by our immigration officials at the school. The employers look for a long-term commitment, especially in any sales-related job, and only 12 months of OPT doesn't cut it.

I have some options for poo poo-tier jobs that don't come close to 30k in salary, but I've also started planning for some contingencies back home, and simply staying here for the sake of working in the US also doesn't quite cut it for me.
I have a room for August, and I'm moving out of this privately-run campus housing next Sunday, but if I have nothing promising by the first week of August, I'm booking a flight home.

I've also run out of Koreans since graduation, so there's nothing for me to pack, unfortunately. They've sent over a whole ton of pictures to friends of mine that proceeded to make a photo album for me that is all :3:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I recently bought this one for work through Allied Electronics: http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-2200VA-LCD-120V-US/P-SMT2200US

Granted, it is for our CMM since we have lovely power in the plant that flickers at least one every two days and hosed up the control board for the CMM twice in 4 months because of the power drops. Power has flickered several times since and no problems, it handles the CMM and the computer that runs the software just fine. I haven't tested how long it will actually run the CMM for, but that's not relevant for us since we bought it to be a power conditioner more than a battery backup. It has an easy to use menu to configure it, and can be managed over a network I think. It's advertised as one to use for a server, we just happened to repurpose ours a little bit since the company we bought the CMM from wanted to charge way too much for their power conditioner. APC (American Power Corporation, which is owned by Schneider) seems to be a pretty good brand, I have a (much) smaller one on my work PC and can get about 15-20 minutes of power running one computer and two monitors when the power goes out at work (which is more often than you'd think, we get alot of tornadoes and poo poo down here) and has saved my rear end several times to let me save my work.

Right on, that one is a bit out of my price range. This is for a server that I'm just using as a lab at home, so really I want it for power conditioning/enough time to gracefully shut down. I just don't know a drat thing about UPSs other than APC is good and that I've replaced more Tripplites than I can count.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dunkirk was great though I think we missed the first 10 minutes or so. Last time I went to that theater it seems like they showed previews for half an hour so I thought we'd be fine.We got seated just as Dawson was getting ready to pull away. 10 minutes in sound accurate. I'll probably see it again.

Edit: Nolan should make a movie about the Blitz next.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 23, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/stranger_things/status/888893272860610560

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dunkirk loving owned jesus. Even if there was one ship supposedly at sea escaping that had its anchor down XD

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A goon in the Aeronautical Insanity thread worked on the Dunkirk aerial camera crew. He said Tom Hardy was a bitch who refused to actually fly for his scenes. His work was all done in California.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The aerial scenes were insane as gently caress. Incredible film.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

cowboy elvis posted:

A goon in the Aeronautical Insanity thread worked on the Dunkirk aerial camera crew. He said Tom Hardy was a bitch who refused to actually fly for his scenes. His work was all done in California.

He didn't fly so good

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

He didn't fly so good

:boom:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

He just doesn't post with us anymore. Plenty of time to post about Elite: Dangerous and Ru Paul's Drag Race though.

Sounds like a man living his best life.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
What's the GIP discord channel code?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Man I'm gonna have to pace myself with like one episode per day or something to enjoy this as much as it deserves.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Evil SpongeBob posted:

What's the GIP discord channel code?

https://discord.gg/BPzMF

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Man I'm gonna have to pace myself with like one episode per day or something to enjoy this as much as it deserves.
I tried that on a re-watch. I told myself I'd watch one or two episodes and go to bed. Six episodes later, I finally stopped.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just saw Dunkirk.

Whole lot of ships without heads of steam at anchor being shot at.

Very good movie still.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Just saw Dunkirk.

Whole lot of ships without heads of steam at anchor being shot at.

Very good movie still.

glad you noticed that too haha

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

glad you noticed that too haha

The minelayer was the worse... at anchor looking dead cold in a combat zone.

The magical hurricane glider doubling back to kill a stuka was eh...... so why didnt he just double back again to glide into the English zone instead of get captured.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

This didn't work for me, for some reason. I got the Goon doctor and stupid mobile game discords to work but for some reason that is broke.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

The minelayer was the worse... at anchor looking dead cold in a combat zone.

The magical hurricane glider doubling back to kill a stuka was eh...... so why didnt he just double back again to glide into the English zone instead of get captured.

like i get they put her at anchor to capture the shots they needed but not digitally erasing the anchor seemed like an enormous oversight

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So what's the issue for us non-seafaring folks here? Are ships supposed to constantly run under power against their anchors to stop drifting around casually and/or be in a position to get the gently caress out quickly?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nolan's aversion to CGI was a big flaw for Dunkirk. The scale felt incredibly small in the wider beach shots.

If his intention was to give a very thin vertical slice of the evacuation then job done. The movie feels slighted for it, though.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheQuietWilds posted:

This didn't work for me, for some reason. I got the Goon doctor and stupid mobile game discords to work but for some reason that is broke.

How about this

https://discord.gg/vneTfYH

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So what's the issue for us non-seafaring folks here? Are ships supposed to constantly run under power against their anchors to stop drifting around casually and/or be in a position to get the gently caress out quickly?

Basically. They take a bit to get going.

The small ships were amazing. So many excellent small craft.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Basically. They take a bit to get going.

The small ships were amazing. So many excellent small craft.

Apparently a lot of those took part in the actual evacuation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The new Netflix show Ozarks is a good Breaking Bad-type show starring Jason Bateman.

A character gets killed just outside my old office in the pilot.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dunkirk owned. The sound mixing alone was amazing.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/887806081472368640

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Smoker chat: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LRtDzb4C5588J

Thinking of plunking down $130 and smoking the gently caress out of meat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

lmorphodite, what a great a word I haven't heard since childhood

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Smoker chat: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LRtDzb4C5588J

Thinking of plunking down $130 and smoking the gently caress out of meat.

That's a pretty good model, and Masterbuilt poo poo will last you several years with no problem, but if you're not strapped for space, and have another 80 disposable freedom roubles, look for the 40" version of that model. They used to be on sale frequently on Amazon, down to something around 210-230 from the normal 300 bucks. gently caress, the 40" is worth the full 300 bucks, I'd say.

The 40" version is not just 8 or so inches higher (because the 30" is actually something around 32 or so, if I recall correctly from the smoker thread), but also almost a full 5 inches wider, which makes a huge difference in terms of what you can put in without trimming, i.e. number of full-sized, uncut ribs (I know you're not a fan of uncut, but live a little) and such. If you're looking for some second opinions, check out the smoker thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

I'm sure Two Finger can back me up on this, but once you start smoking poo poo, you'll enjoy making increasingly bigger loads, and cooking for more and more people that will think you're a loving wizard, and then you don't really want to be stuck with a "well, I got the best value-for-money model for my immediate needs".

/edit: You know what, ignore those :words:
This is America, buy the 40" version, you loving communist

/edit:vvvv loving beaten by a second :lol:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 24, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You convinced me to buy the bigger one.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's a pretty good model, and Masterbuilt poo poo will last you several years with no problem, but if you're not strapped for space, and have another 80 disposable freedom roubles, look for the 40" version of that model. They used to be on sale frequently on Amazon, down to something around 210-230 from the normal 300 bucks. gently caress, the 40" is worth the full 300 bucks, I'd say.

The 40" version is not just 8 or so inches higher (because the 30" is actually something around 32 or so, if I recall correctly from the smoker thread), but also almost a full 5 inches wider, which makes a huge difference in terms of what you can put in without trimming, i.e. number of full-sized, uncut ribs (I know you're not a fan of uncut, but live a little) and such. If you're looking for some second opinions, check out the smoker thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

I'm sure Two Finger can back me up on this, but once you start smoking poo poo, you'll enjoy making increasingly bigger loads, and cooking for more and more people that will think you're a loving wizard, and then you don't really want to be stuck with a "well, I got the best value-for-money model for my immediate needs".

Welp, I know what I'm getting for Christmas especially if I can find a book on traditional European charcuterie.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Brief google-look at the 40" is that you're getting close to an extra 280 square inches, or 35% of cooking space, wheels, a drip-pan in the front, as opposed to in the back, a 1200 instead of 800 watt heating element (again, this is America), and a remote control.

I almost don't feel the need to mention the window in the front, because you're slow-cooking, and if you're looking, you're not cooking. You should be drinking beer or smoking weed instead of cooking. Probably nifty for guests just before the meat is done. Nothing like an 80-pound panty dropper to wow your peeps before dinner.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Shim I am disappointed and shocked that you are buying an electric oven. Buy a loving charcoal setup and make your Jewish father's proud of your 24 hour brisket.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Friendly reminder that this is next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwfqXTebIY

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Shim I am disappointed and shocked that you are buying an electric oven. Buy a loving charcoal setup and make your Jewish father's proud of your 24 hour brisket.

As much as I love to preach charcoal and wood supremacy, if I had the money, I'd get a medium electrical smoker to increase my capacity, and for those cooks where I have to multitask poo poo and can't just drink beer in the sun.

Depending on living situation, you also have better chances of getting away with an electric smoker in a residential area than a proper off-set stickburner, so there's a consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

All of this is true. You will wind up like me - biggest smoke I've done was 40 lbs for a yacht party. And you will love it.

• Locked thread