Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I know three people with Crohn's disease, and I always loathe to find out just how bad their individual affliction is.

One of them seems perfectly normal, one is repeatedly out with hospital visits but is never really vocal about it. I also suspect a stoma with that girl, so I feel for her.
The way all three of them carry their poo poo is incredible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Crossposting from the Crappy Construction thread, because I laughed :grovertoot:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 5, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It's the day of Epiphany (or so google translate tells me) today, and it's one of the countless state holidays we get in Bavaria so good catholics can go get hammered for jesus-reasons.

My old man overdid it severely earlier this morning, so now he's hammered off his nuts, lost his phone, stumbling around the house giggling like a girl, and getting angry* at my mother because she dared to take the house phone away from him because he's incomprehensible at this point and cannot be trusted to call the brewery where he probably lost it.

That's my dad-chat contribution today, thanks for listening.

*not really angry, more like the state of a confused and frustrated puppy that doesn't understand what's happening on television

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, bitching about taxes should be dad-tier talk.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Goddamnit, I get back to the US and Arrival isn't playing in the only theatre up here anymore :mad:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Korean acquaintance of mine earlier posted furiously on Facebook how the iPhone 7 isn't water proof. I don't think much of it, until a few minutes ago, I see this.

I cannot stop laughing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hey now, this made me laugh a bit

drat those demons driving Trump to melt down on Twitter.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

not caring here posted:

New Logan trailer out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xeRfV04RNg

I'm probably gonna take the days of headaches and go see this in the cinema.

I legit threw my arms up in the air and cheered when Patrick Stewart said 'loving'.

ded posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXDBFpOHBE4

Too bad the singer died a few years back.

Erection Pete is dead? :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

RIP Peter Penis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwYJYl5GUQ

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I kinda care most about the story told in hacksaw ridge, not so much about how it's told. I'm basically expecting a decent helping of gravitas and bullshit, but I had never heard about the dude's story and it sounds cool as gently caress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Old man rant:

I'm generally opposed to "snow days", because gently caress these dumb kids praying to get out of the classes their parents pay tens of thousands of dollar for when they can't be bothered to get out of bed, put on shoes, and/or have proper tires in the loving winter. But both the city of Flagstaff and NAU are somehow incomprehensibly incompetent at preparing for, and dealing with snow. Like, at all.

It's genuinely beyond me how you can have a winter storm warning by NWS three days in advance (with up to 27 inches of snow predicted), not prepare for it whatsoever, engage in laughingly bad efforts clearing the snow during and after, and then be EQUALLY UNPREPARED AND INCOMPETENT WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER SNOW STORM WARNING TWO DAYS LATER.

Outside of maybe the main pedway, absolutely fuckall has been cleared, there have been a total of five injuries from people falling down the legit-snowslide-stairs just in my dorm (then again, maybe they should go out and buy a loving snow shovel and some rock salt like I did), and now that all the non-cleared snow has begun thawing and re-freezing over the last two days, we're getting another 17 inches on top of that.

I love snow and I have no problem getting up a half hour earlier to negotiate the lovely conditions, but the blatant incompetence is beginning to actually hurt my brain.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its not that they're unprepared. Unique meteorological events can leave a place that is not used to them in a pickle. This happens every year. Everyone likes to :lol: the south when it comes to snow and ice, but the fact of the matter is they aren't equipped to handle it even with infinite notice. You can't suddenly make scraper trucks, salt trucks, tons of rock salt, etc materialize.

Likewise the same thing happens in other places too just not involving snow. Hurricanes don't really gently caress up Florida more than a couple of days if even that normally. Most places are completely functional in a week. Then you go to New Jersey that isn't equipped to handle a strong hurricane and Sandy comes in a wrecks loving shop.

I get what you're saying, but this is Flagstaff.

This place sees an average of something like 120 inches of snow per winter. I've been here for over two years now, and I've never - in my life - seen a place that gets snow with calculable regularity and is yet completely and utterly unprepared to deal with it.

We had three snow storms like this in my very first semester, and neither NAU, nor the city had any form of coherent plan or reaction for it. Even when it snows normally, not in winter-storm conditions like these, normal cleaning operations barely cope. The single thing that you know will be cleared eventually, is I-17, and Milton Road, which is essentially just I-17 turning into Route 66. And that is usually barely done until the late afternoon or evening.

It's genuinely bizarre.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well then, not an hour after my bitching, all of NAU is shutting down. This after one of the campus bus lines could no longer negotiate a mild incline, "stranding" 40 students in the post-apocalyptic, inescapable snow tundra that lies a five minute walk to campus buildings in each direction, prompting violent tweeting from the "stranded" students.

The hilarious detail: That means grounds services will stop clearing operations as soon as the rest of campus shuts down. :laffo:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 23, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Rat posted:

That's a G36, not an AR15.
:goonsay:

With an ANBAUGRANATWERFER 36, no less.
:goonsay:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Don't think I could pull that off as an unwashed foreign serviceman, but godspeed, GiP!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Army released the promotion list for brigade- and battalion-level command billets today and in 2018, I will personally know - almost intimately - the two least-qualified LTCs on the entire planet.

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, those didn't work for your mom either. :(

Gat drat

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

Good work story:

Doing a background check on a potential hire for a hotel franchise owner we are contracted with, I found the dude's unsecured dropbox, tons of pictures of him cooking meth and some instructional pdfs on how to do it, possibly written by the guy, not sure. I tipped off the local sheriff after I delivered the report

Digging your occupation.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Speaking of movies with Ben Foster, I watched "Inferno" because I figured it couldn't be worse than the other two Dan Brown book-implementations, and while the whole hallucination-episode stuff Tom Hanks is going through is pretty metal, the entire movie is basically a really slow wet fart with two twists, one hilariously obvious, and the other pretty underwhelming.

The climax is just all kinds of :flaccid:

It's not a horrible movie if you dig Hanks, but even all of the cryptic/conspiracist bullshit from the other movies/books is pretty 'bleh' in this one.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I'd say tourniquets, needle decompression, and chest seals are well outside the realm of erry'day YMCA first aid.

I have a bleeding control ifak in a zip lock baggie in my range bag

He said chest compression, not needle decompression. Wound care, CPR, and supporting injured joints is pretty much as basic as first aid courses get.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

A friend recommended "Narcos" to me for my tv-show to-do list, but I feel more like SciFi after finishing The Wire, so if this is streaming somewhere, I might binge whatever is available of The Expanse thus far.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm the masturbatory violence fantasies.

Oh come on, this is about thinking about how one would react in a situation under duress while in a legit riot crowd. Rational thought goes out the window and is replaced by the self-sustaining drive to get the gently caress outta there.

I hope they're fine, but unless the driver was intentionally trying to somehow slowly plow his way through the crowd when it had already assembled, they're a bunch of idiots.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The first time someone told me Flagstaff had "monsoon season", I was like "you hella dumb, Flagstaff does not have monsoon season".

Then, come one beautiful day in July, I left my apartment, looked at the horizon and went "motherfuck" :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I know the wet season is coming, but it's worth it to look at Pike's Peak every day. There will be poo poo days, but the 300 odd days of sunlight we get a year here more than makes up for it.

Same here, that's one of the main things I'm going to miss so much when i leave. Even the lovely days are nicer than most days back home. During my 3 weeks in Germany over the winter break, I saw the sun a grand total of five times.

Like, visually perceived the sun in the sky with mine own eyes. Five loving times in 22 days.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

12 years May 31st.

I sometimes miss the chill times and shenanigans from the last 6 months after I wrecked my knee and medical eligibility saved me from being a noble for the next 12 years.

The poo poo you'd get away with because you gave no fucks, everyone knew you have no fucks, and you were untouchable because the battalion/garrison commander liked you and was cool with you giving no fucks. :unsmith:

On my very last day, my car was basically rolling 6 inches deeper due to all the misappropriated gear I was hauling out or had gifted from other companies. I was supposed to have turned in everything including my last set of fatigues, but went around post saying my goodbyes in full (adequately deficient) uniform. On the way to the gate, the battalion commander was waiting for me outside the front of his building.

:mil101: "Last day huh, Funlop?"
:downs: "Sir."
:mil101: "Ready for reality, huh?"
:downs: "Jawohl, Herr Oberstleutnant."
:mil101: *leans over, eyeballs my rear seats stacked to the roof with gear*: "Properly turned everything in and signed out?"
:downs: "Of course, Herr Oberstleutnant."
:mil101: "Excellent!"

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 5, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

On the fifth episode of Narcos now, and it's still amazing.

Started watching that A&E Scientology series with Leah Rimini during casual workouts, and while I'm not the biggest fan of her, and that Mike Rinder (former Scientology head honcho or something) has an incredibly annoying accent, the personal stories they cover are pretty loving heart-breaking.

I've seen those big three Scientology documentaries that came out in the last couple of years (including that weird one with the gonzo-journalist british dude), and they go into the actual history of Scientology and the incredibly fuckery behind the scenes, but this show focuses on the actual people that quit and what they went through. Current episode is about the crushing story of how the "church" wrecked a pair of twin brothers and their family. poo poo sucks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TBeats posted:

Leah Remini is hot but holy gently caress I couldn't stand her in that show.

Yeah, you kinda need to tune her discourse and demeanor out and focus on the fact that she lived through this poo poo for decades, so she's at least qualified to speak on it.

When I saw the first documentary with Marty Rathburn, I was surprised someone so high-profile was a quitter and very vocal about it. But the amount of high-tier people that have quite is significantly higher, Dianetics-Hitler just discards them left and right every once in a while.

The fact that the majority still stay silent is solid testament to their witch hunt and discrediting tactics.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If you have a chance to go see Maiden and you decide against it, there's something wrong with you.

I did that and I'll forever regret it. Probably won't have a chance to make that July concert, either job- or Visa-wise.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

You putting them in frozen?

I used to cheat back home with my smoker by freezing the wings so I could give them some more time at higher heat to have them soak up some smoke without drying up, but whenever I did them in the fryer, they were much more agreeable when I thawed them on a bunch of paper towels first.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, now I know what a humbler is, I guess.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

How dad is it to spill a bottle of 500 CVS brand ibuprofen pills because I just did that.

My parents asked me to bring back two 100 packs of Ibuprofen before the winter break, the smallest thing above 100 pcs that Walmart had was two 500 pcs bottles strapped together in an obscenely cheap value pack.

Sure, a loving thousand ibuprofen pills, just as like a normal household needs them.

Gotta be able to hit the maximum allowed daily dosage for 120 days. :downs:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

I didn't even balk at a 500 pill bottle. Military medicine: Motrin cures all. Although I'm happy these are tiny pills and not that loving 800 mg horse pill the AF issued.

Yeah, smaller longterm doses have helped me much better with inflammation stuff. I've worked a long loving time to get off 80mg of Omeprazole daily and worked my way down to 60, If I would have had to pop 800mg of Ibuprofen three times per day during my tendonitis last summer, I would have been been throwing up blood after day four or something.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'd like to apologize for the mouthcancer of my southeastern neighbors.

Also: :drat:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

https://youtu.be/iFRa0KZsGhc

Lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

cole, i know what youre trying to do. go look at the cars bmw has manufactured. theyve yet to make a super car. the i8 is a sports car

Yeah, when I hear "super car", I think Koenigsegg CCX or Veyron or some poo poo.

But still, if you're shelling out 150 grand for a car, why would you care about not being able to open the hood?

You don't need to open it...if there's something you need the hood open for, you're almost certainly not qualified to fix it.

/edit: lol, the engine isn't even under the hood, the electric motor for the front axis is, what are we even arguing about?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 19, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

"This is for the guy that open-carries at his cousin's Bar Mitzvah"

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

My German flatmate decided to make us all pretzels tonight

~life owns~

Not to alarm you, but Germans don't randomly make pretzels.

You live with a foreign agent posing as a German...badly.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

He's a pretty lovely foreign agent I mean who the gently caress would try infiltrate NZ of all places

THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK!

Tell him "Schau me oo, no wasst wie i ausschau!" and "Hätt der Hund nedd gschissn, hätt er n Hossn derwischd!"

If he doesn't break a stride, he's a sleeper.

Please be safe!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

The hell does that mean? He and I just puzzled over it for a minute but can't make sense of it

Quickly: Put him in a sleeper hold while he's confused and then call the New Zealand Mounted Police!

He's clearly a pretender and I will fight him, but we need to get you safe first!

(If he is already in custody and you are safe at this point, please remind him that he's from the wrong part of Germany and that he failed to uphold the creed of apologizing to outsiders about his being from the wrong region of Germany)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Welp, the cops just came to my apartment because my Korean roommate decided to attempt to murder us by burning popcorn in the microwave. Explaining to the cop how you gently caress up microwaveable popcorn to the point of an apartment fire was a bit of a challenge. My roommate innocently claimed to have followed what he thought to be the instructions that said "four minutes", when they actually said "most microwaves will finish the product in considerably less than four minutes".

So he just dialled in full blast for four minutes and went to his room.

Cop was like "He knows it's done when the popping noises stop, smoke is generated, and actual fire happens, yes?"

Silver lining: We found out that our smoke detector doesn't detect smoke, despite indicating full-functionality on both old and fresh batteries, so my roommate almost burning the apartment may actually save us in the future. We're also probably not getting charged for the damage, since housing seems somewhat concerned with the fact that it has installed non-functional smoke detectors.

:downs:

• Locked thread