Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I mean, all dogges are very good dogges, but Monty is a Very Good Dogge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Turns out that I'm a stress eater, who knew?

The instant I got the source of 99% of my stress out of my life, I stopped eating garbage. I'm on a self improvement spree right now.

I'm getting a rowing machine either this month or the next.

Yo sidebar, I've got a friend who has a rowing machine that seems nice. He has a townhouse though, so Idk how it works for second level of an apartment. I think I need something in here to deal with the winter months, but is also transportable once the inevitable move happens.

Ideas in my head are that, a recumbent bike, or a spin bike, but I dunno if any of these will work and be useful given the domain.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Anyone here use sling? Is it any good? Can my husband watch his BS network sitcoms (The Middle :barf:)? Is there DVR-like functionality?

Sling performance for channels that are not being heavily watched: Very good.

Sling performance for channels that are currently seeing high demand: Dog poo poo. It won't just drop the resolution either, its resolution is to break itself in an infinite loop and it is 100% unwatcheable when it gets like this.

Still, for 40 bucks I get access to most primary cable networks, WatchESPN, and NBC Sports, which is by far and away all the more I need cable for. I also have a Mohu Leaf for local OTA channels that works phenomenally.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah I do. Love the car but the transmission has always been a little squirrelly. Dealership called and said everything was under the recall so I'll pay nothing out of pocket.

What? Mods!?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hello dad chat, long time listener, first time caller (I do have a Weber tho):

I am entering first house considerations/discussions. I've been living in apartments for 15 years, because I am a lovely transient person. Please educate me on VA Certificate of Eligibility obtaining and utilization and ways to make my life less lovely other than what I have read so far on the internet.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oh yea, I can make a mean crab cake. Forgot about that. I'm loving useless for most other poo poo though, just give me a crockpot or something.

Lump or blackened? :colbert:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

holy poo poo now it's thundersnow

Got some here at 3AM. I was up because my upstairs neighbor is an rear end in a top hat, but it was neat. Backed my car into my space all the way up to the curb and should have a real easy time getting to work, which will be at 10, because I gave myself a two hour delay :unsmith:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. My girlfriend and I are doing a double feature at the movie theater of John Wick 2 and Lego Batman and it seems like a really kickass combo.

That sounds amazing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Had a pretty bitchin beard going since November. Its going to be 60 this weekend. Breaking out the golf clubs and RIP beard.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Supercar chat: Saw a V10 Lambo Candy Apple Red Aventador Convertible in the wild today in Hershey and it was sick. as. gently caress.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flikken posted:

Where in PA do you live?

Harrisburg area, west side of the river.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

This post is only sort of Dad-related, because it's about getting a job and our dads would definitely want us to get jobs.

Anyway, people have been telling me since the beginning of time that I should do voiceover work and blah blah whatever. Last week I actually went in and recorded a no-poo poo demo reel and had it mastered by professional audio engineers. I picked up the disc today and it sounds awesome. The guy who runs the studio says that he really likes my voice and that I take direction well. He went ahead and forwarded my demo to an agency, so I'm already one step ahead in the job-getting process.

As a bonus: the dude asked me to come in next month to do a read-through for a TWC Spectrum commercial they're doing. Maybe I'll get it!

That fuckin owns dude. Grats!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

at the date posted:

Large sections of I-35 between Austin and Dallas are definitely 85.

I could have sworn Montana had some 90 mph roads the last time I was out there.

When I drove back to the east coast from Seattle in 2012 it was 85.

I did 68 with the cruise control on (the gas mileage was way better, and the scenery was very pretty).

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Yeah. Good. But another dish entirely.

After many years of fighting this fight, I think I agree. They both shouldn't be called pizza, and I think the flimsy foldable crust should carry the title. Just call it deep dish, drop the "pizza" and be done with it.

MAGA

Also, if you are on the east coast and don't want to deal with bread and water nonsense you should probably go to the store today (e: I forgot its 6AM) to stock for Tuesday. Basically the same alignment for the 30" storm from last year, just depends on how far west the L tracks off the coast. (Applicable to Roanoke, Winchester, Hagerstown, Philly, NYC, Connecticut, RI, Boston, Maine).

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to place a carry out order next time I go to Denver.

I never actually paid attention to where Lone Tree is. Isn't it that vast emptyness that's south of Denver but north of Castle Rock? I would only know it from driving by on I-25.

So the one thing that bugs me about Denver is that everyone judges the gap between the lower fringe of Denver Suburbia and Castle Rock like its this huge loving thing and took maybe 15 minutes to drive?

Boulder to Colorado Springs might as well be one big metroplex, you can get from one place to the other* in like an hour and a half.

*I get that Denver rush hour sucks dick.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 11, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

18-24 inches monday night into tuesday

hells yeah

Yup.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

Honestly that Guzzi is my first road bike, and was the result of drunkenly submitting a financing request to the dealer and somehow being approved.

It's amazing and I fuckin love it. 2014 and only 4 miles on it when I picked it up. Northern IL winter meant it stayed in the garage for a while but I managed to ride it through most of November (including a sub-freezing trip to see Buddy Guy) and even got some mild days in February, so I didn't even have to winterize it.

I wanted a standard and I'm a glutton for punishment so a wacky shaft drive Italian bike sounded like a good idea, and surprisingly I wasn't wrong.

Motorcycles are seriously the best "frivolous" purchase.

Also, that Indian is fuckin dope; I'm not much of a cruiser guy but those new Indians get me all bubbly.

Buddy Guy is loving dope.

Got to see him and the Foo Fighters at RFK last year as part of the Foos 20th anniversary, first time I've seen either after both acts being in my top 5. Great loving day. Also turned me on to Gary Clark Jr, which was awesome.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Also latest NAM12km model run for northeast :)

[This will depend on track of coastal low, but there are features in place that mimic the storm that dumped 30" here in the Harrisburg region last year]

e: tropicaltidbits is awesome btw. Great aggregator for all of the main model runs. Most universities with a Meteo department have a similar setup if you google their forecasting wall. PSU obviously comes to mind, as Accuweather is based in State College.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 12, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

Spotify suggested Gary Clark Jr to me after I binged a bunch of Buddy Guy, but when I saw Guy live he had Johnny Lang open for him, and that white boy does a mean fuckin rendition of Lie To Me that started off acoustic before the entire band walked back out and joined in.

I swear, that whole concert was as close as I'll probably ever get to a religious experience.

Edit: ^^^^ my roommate rocks a Subaru project car and I've got the Mazda in my avatar, so I've been pushing him to buy a BMW bike so we can have the Axis powers in the garage

That sounds phenomenal. Also like Johnny Lang a bunch. Sounds like a great show.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Another reminder that most places from Montgomery County, MD to Maine are going to get a foot of snow on Monday Night.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Watch as the storm ends up just farting out a dusting of flakes, since the NE likes to do that sometimes after predictions of doom.

Not happening. NE gonna get skullfucked tomorrow.

e: Here in Harrisburg we're gonna be fine, just a bunch of snow and I hope I don't have to use a personal day or bitch to my boss about getting off work (like I hope company shuts down). That L on the East Coast is gonna run up super close to about 50 million people with 50mph winds and a poo poo ton of snow.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 13, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Already probably got 5" on the ground here. HRRR model looks like its just gonna go all day.

Gonna be a bitch to dig out of but that's future Squirrely's problem. Time to grab the cocoa and watch the snow fall. I thought last night we'd be on the low end of the teens, but with the way the bands are lining up, wouldn't be surprised if we get up close to 20.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anybody use sling.tv? Hulu is running dry on watchable material for me and I think I'm done with netflix aside from a spattering of things that are probably on amazon anyhow. I figure for $20/mo, it's a fair price for 30 channels, some of which I miss from the last time I had any form of cable, and cost comparable to hulu/netflix combined.

Just curious if there's service issues or any hitches that might annoy the gently caress out of me later.

Its fine as long as the channel you are watching is not currently in high demand. Trying to watch football was hopeless.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sports aren't really my thing besides the Cubs anyhow, so that's not a huge deal. I really just want poo poo like Comedy Central and History and Travel channels for miscellaneous bullshit shows like Mysteries at the Museum and Alone. Enjoyable background noise so I don't waste another night on antenna tv like Macgyver.

You should be fine then. I didn't have any problems with it in 4 or 5 months outside of the aforementioned, but I watch so little TV that the 4 channels I get off the antenna suit me just fine.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

TBeats posted:

WaWa and Sheetz are gas stations and when you call them "overrated" I question if you realize that they are gas stations.

*points wildly at post in approval*

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I like the V60 and all, but that's twice what I paid for my Impreza good god

(inside looks boss as hell though)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MAHGOD

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I finally will have a place with a garage come the beginning of the month and I need recommendations of jacks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

Jack stands are more important.

I really want a full set of these.

I meant jack stands, but simplified to encompass all variations of jacks that I may or may not be aware of. (Whole lifts reasonably priced, etc)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this would be hilarious overkill unless he plans on doing drat near every kind of maintenance and repair on his whip

Totally overkill, but I appreciate the quote for the future. Additionally, I appreciate the note to make sure that the jack has rubber inserts. I wouldn't have known any better, but makes perfect sense.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lol, I like they left the grill line for the end.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

loving apartment is 84 right now. At 9:30PM, on the east coast.

My A/C is out, and I'm moving out next week, and I'm sure my landlord knows I'm not going to do poo poo about it since I want my security deposit.

HOOOOOOOOOFUCKINGRAY

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Torque wrenching your tires: get a Harbor Freight torque wrench. They're cheap and accurate enough for lugnuts. You don't need a Snap-On or Craftsman.

I don't bother. I've never broken a stud on any of my cars and if I did, there's four more to hold the wheel until I get another stud from the parts store. Just don't overthink it and leave them too loose or underthink it and put 300ft/lbs on it.

Was kind of curious about this. Had a coworker, who I trust mechanically (is also Army Vet) vouch for them. I walked into the store last week and they were 10-20 bucks. I will be picking up a couple the next time I go in. Probably wouldn't vouch for them for blocks or anything, but they were click-type and looked reasonably well made enough. For lug nuts, absolutely.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ugh what did that sound like when it went?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Moving from one side of the Susquehanna to the other tomorrow. Ripped down most of the apartment already, getting the Uhaul to do the heavy lifting bright and early. Thankfully gave myself an 8 day overlap even though its meant like 14 hour days every day this week because I burned down my PTO.

Ugh moving. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

(New place has a garage, this will all be worth it come 24 hours from now)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Just get a table with metal mesh top. No breakage. Mines been outside for years.

They are also super cheap and can be replaced with a much better solution if you feel that you require one. A test run, so to speak.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ugh gently caress moving my body wants to murder me with an axe.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Is it gonna be like Fargo where every season is a different story and characters?

Nope, trailer says as much. They are adding Samwise Rudy to the cast though.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

Yep. It's the biggest cocktease "sale" I've ever seen.

Unfortunately I do kind of need to replace my tv.

Costco.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Ask me about how to assemble $1300 of ikea furniture in 4 hours :suicide:

That's actually a pretty admirable clip.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I see external SSDs for storage aren't really into the affordable range yet.

They make like 128 GB SSD flash sticks now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I enjoyed Seveneves as a thought exercise more than anything. I didn't really get too caught up with the nuances of Stephensons writing. I probably did the same thing with Snow Crash honestly. I can see from a literary angle why has a rage boner for him in hindsight.

loving finally got out to the golf course for the first time this year. First five hours of continuous silence Ive had in ages. Very enjoyable. I try to shoot bogey and shot a 93 after not being out in a year. I was pretty stoked.

• Locked thread