Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The first two Naked Gun movies are still fantastic excluding the creepy in retrospect OJ Simpson bits.

Where else would you get a series of escalating gags like this? https://youtu.be/6Keom6J6cOk?t=3m1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hospice care nurses have it the worse, but get paid well for working hospice care.

Book chat:
Finally read M John Harrison's Storm of Wings, which was a followup to his The Pastel City . Good book, cool ideas, Fear death from the air.
M John Harrison's 1st book The Commited Men was exceptional, read it three weeks ago, and it retroactively made Ken MacLeod less cool.

Kampus is still my favorite bizzare book. Published @1977, it is about college campuses in the far off future of 1984.
College campuses are now barricaded like Escape from New York's Manhattan Island to keep the uncontrollable student body in. College teachers are bussed/tanked/coptered into college campuses like VIPs & have riot police protection details, while onsite college adminstrative staff are Disney animatronic robots (that are constantly beaten/mugged/possibly raped). The main character in Kampus becomes obsessed with a Cool college professor, and abducts his Cool college professor obsession, kills his Cool college professor obsession, then eats the flesh & drinks the blood of his obsession to absorb his knowledge, like Stranger in a Strange Land. The main character gets kicked out of college really quick after that, and spends the rest of the book touring the USA actively ruining the lives of everyone he encounters.

By itself Kampus is utter garbage. Once you find out the author, James E Gunn*, was a college professor when the book was written**, Kampus becomes amazing.
Like, was James Gunn disappointed when none of his students even tried to abduct him?
Did James Gunn reserve his A++ for students that tried to eat his flesh/drink his blood?
Did James Gunn acknowledge Kampus during his lectures/how frequently did Kampus get namedropped if he did?

*not the director of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies
**The dude has been a college professor for over 60 years, and is currently 94 years old. He is still writing, and just got a surprisingly decent scifi series published. Actually change that to amazingly decent scifi series, dude is 94 years old after all.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 6, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Amazon really hosed with their search engine, in a bad way, to feature more non search related items.
I guess that's how Amazon is underwriting the Whole Foods buyout, quasi-relevant seller featured items for everyone ala Google sponsored ads.
Happy that my Prime membership ends in November, won't renew it.

It's been 2 months, has everyone stopped using the amazing meat smokers that everyone was giving advice on/gushing about?
Beercan chicken cooking uually has good results, can't remember if anyone else recommended it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So....Curse of the Golden Flower is basically this

+
overblown chinese melodrama

+

massive wirework fight scenes.

50% of the budget was spent on set design, 30% on the actors, 19% on anti-boob slippage technology, 1% on the plot.
google "gong li curse of the golden flower" and you'll understand.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the oldest son got so drat screwed, in all defintions of the word
middle son was a 100% mama's boy
youngest son was a douche.

the assasins out of nowhere was a excellent running gag in Curse of golden flower.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tom Hanks was one of the luckiest guys in the 1980s.
For a streak of 4 years or so he starred in movies with insanely hot ladies.
Daryl Hannah, Lori Singer, Kitaen, etc. I think that the combo breaker was Meg Ryan or whoever the female lead in Big was.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I didn't think it was possible but I broke a entire set of cleaning rods on a old springfield 15 .22 bolt action rifle my dad has.
It took 2 hours of wd-40, breakfree, hoppes cleaning fluid, compressed air, a loving bench vise & a hammer tapping the stock to get through all that built up dried out layers & layers of carbon.

How that goddamn rifle didn't blow up on him, I have no clue.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

And use bore snakes

Mad Dragon posted:

Get some real gun cleaning products. WD40 is loving garbage.

Agreed, I have bore snakes & way better gun cleaning products, that 40+ year old rifle barrel was just impervious to them.

You bitches have no idea how bad that barrel was clogged up. The .22 bore snake weight went down 3 inches chamber side, and then...no movement.
Barrel side, cleaning rods could could go down 14 inches (like your mom) then jammed up (again like your mom).
Looking through the barrel there was 1/2 the diameter of light going through than should have been.

I agree WD-40 is poo poo, used it as lubricant/visual aid with the air compressor blowing down the barrel to knock free clogged up carbon after each vise + cleaning rods + hammer attempt.
Once I went through that whole routine a dozen times or so, a .22 bore snake had no problems going through.

The only reason that rifle didn't die/explode on my dad was because a) he has dumbass old-man luck and b) that was his dedicated .22 birdshot rifle for killing woodpeckers.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fabricy wings or hard shell wings, all styles of ultralite planes rock.
Being in one is like flying in a lawn chair.

I will be ground zero in admitting wd-40 stupidity. Sadly I didn't think of using something more stupid at the time. Now thinking back about cleaning that old rear end rifle I cared zero about,
what could have I used instead. Twenty seconds of thought and
-power washer
-steam
-homemade wine
-?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I've been watching old It's Always Sunny in Philly episodes.
Everything was so comparitively sane back then.
The gang solves the gas crisis is one of the top 5 sunny episodes for me.
And Devito even predicted the creepy as poo poo whats-his-name fakeDad of Dee & Dennis did in real life.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Which time they get hooked on crack?
Dennis & Dee are cool like that.
go on welfare is the 1st time
frank has amnesia is the 2nd or 3rd time

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Payment for that rifle cleaning I bitched about before was 2 pounds of ultra-thin cut breaded venison cutlets.
A good payoff.

Gun fever 1 & gun fever 2 it's always sunny episodes should be watched side by side.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I randomly watched a season 11 trailer park boys episode.
Randy lost the greaser haircut, gained a mustache & a shirt?
NOT MY TRAILER PARK BOYS.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

There is 5 different trailer park boys series/movies on netflix.
gip internet wizzards please help me watch everything in order.

Chill Jim Lahey was unsettling, Randy having goals & being the trailer park rules nazi & wearing a shirt (tight-fitting as hell but still) & wanting to be a cop was just mindblowing.
Maybe Randy's ultimate goal is to be that burger headed cop from McDonald's playland & burger head Randy plans on a reign of justice & cannibalism.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

But the art galleries and museums in DC are so nice...

According to all my family visits to DC, there is only one musuem in DC, the National Air & Space museum.
Talk of anything else is hallucinations man.

phone chat: i beat everyone in the i dont give a gently caress department. moto g4, bought because it works on all us carriers.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

That's BS. Air and Space is good but too loving crowded and the military stuff is barely any better or quiet frankly worse than Pensacola Naval Air or Air Force Armament or Pearl Harbor.

I like how you mention two places nowhere near DC. Useful! Anyway, this was back in the Space shuttle/SpaceCamp era, we didn't give a gently caress about the military stuff.
My dad was a mega aviation nerd, who owned planes/brokered planes/flew planes/loved planes;
and he decided which musuems to visit, not the clueless annoying kids.
Aviation & Space stuff in that era was super dope, no idea what it is like now/don't loving care what it is like now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

This is the best poster I've seen.
Love the balsa wood + microfilm wings.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I read Shattered, the 3rd party clinton campaign breakdown. Bernie Sanders was portrayed as the poltician who wouldn't die/night of the living dead'ed the clinton campaign team for 14+ months.
20% of it was spent on general election and how Trump was a master of getting attention/FYAD superstar. The one humorous thing in the book was the clinton-camp Trump roleplayer, who really got into his role.
The remaining 80% was all about the infighting/committee think/anthony weiner fuckups/bill clinton the wildcard/and the utter cheapness of the clinton campaign.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

A lot of the firms I am applying to have a distinct requirement to exercise discretion with sensitive financial statements.

I have a secret security clearance.

Should I put that on my resumé? And if so, how and where?

Good job Cole, you just broke the requirement rule.

Make your clearance a bullet point in the skills/certifications section of your resume.
blah blah XXX clearance since XXXX

Weather continues to be oddly chill in this state, curse you global warming?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If only gip's true hero OPSEC WIZARD would return from exile and save us all.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The true lost champion of gip remains whoever did the HoneyBoy Bradley & 50 foot ant alts.
Now watch it come out that grover of all people was the genius behind them.
:commissar:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If IDR could fake out gip for years, welp....
I just don't know.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NSA WIZARD posted:

HE WISHES HE WAS ME

Please write more Cryptologs.

Or make a updated NSA Kids book.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Is rick and morty the new archer, or how does it differentiate itself from the other billion cartoons that people get un-healthly fixated on?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So rick & morty is a dan harmon thing. Good to know, glad to avoid it entirely now.

My favorite modern cartoons were Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo, and Metalocalypse.
The Metalocalypse creator loving himself over is delightful though, dude bought into his hype & lost all rights to the property he created. :black101:
Venture Bros used to be cool, then I got tired of waiting 4 years for each new season.

How is Jackie Chan still alive from 40+ years of crazy dangerous stunt work?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thanks for all the rick & morty explanations.
Dan Harmon is extremely trainwrecky and his fan base is toxicly bad, so I try to avoid stuff he is involved with.

Firefly looked like an interesting concept, the meshing of cowboys + space really didn't work out.
Buffy 2500 AD & Angel 2.0 in Space was the overall vibe.

Someone in the games thread linked one of Cokes rebranding for the new generation ads.
Thinking the ultimate change might be Coke adding "artisanally produced" or other buzzwords to their soda labels.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

psydude posted:

I liked Community. Guess that makes me bad or something.

I've consistently called you Corky from Life goes On, so yeah something is definitely off about you.
TV shows are cool, not wanting to interact with weird fans is cool too.

Back from the Psydude has downs-syndrome chat....
How the hell does the Venture Bros have a insane multiple year gaps between seasons?
Are the creators/writers really that slow, or busy with other things?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Change the brightness levelon your monitor Vas.
You might be experiencing the joy of oncoming migraine headaches, they are not fun at all.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Happy for you about the non-headaches.

Hope the driver updates help out the issue you are experiencing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Yeah budget + creators doing 85% of the non-animation work on Venture Bros does explain the massive delays. Thanks again for the quick answers.

Budget being tight on AdultSwim shows seems to be running theme.
Brendon Small, the creator of Metalocalypse, wasted his entire final season budget on a 60 minute Metalocalypse musical episode that was impossible
to break up into chunks for cable tv broadcast, gambling that since the Metalocalypse musicial reset things to Dethklok status quo, the AdultSwim corporate suits
were going to blank check approve a final season so he could complete his vision......................yeah, that didn't happen.

And then Small lost the rights to everything Metalocalypse related, and even after a $2 million kickstarter (there was? what the hell?) to help fund a new season,
nobody at Adult Swim wants anything to do with him, so thats like triple self-fuckery by Small.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

The best part is, you can easily imagine the boys being talked into (or talking themselves into) something almost exactly like that when Offdensen isn't paying attention.

Truth. Wasn't that kind of a season ending with the double concert in Israel & Palestine, and Offdensen freaking the gently caress out about their moronic pledge?

Being unable to air the 60 minute musical episode on TV is probably what really pissed off the AdultSwim suits forever.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

not caring here posted:

It's an odd day when you get a solid block of metal and have to treat it with the same care as you would explosive lest you gently caress up all your computers, electronics, and possible lose a hand.

Imagine that's a normal terror filled day for people with pacemakers.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

gip master class chefs: I have found the secret cooking textbooks that ALL world renowned chefs use.

George Herter's 2 volume Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices.
http://neglectedbooks.com/?p=323

I know of Herter from the old times, and follow his instructions of raising baboons to furnish organ transplants for humans.
I tried raising leopards as well for their pelts as Herter advised, but the leopards kept eating the baboons, and honestly black market organs are the real money makers.

George Herter was legitly insane but extremely entertaining.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I'm having a giggle that weed growers are concerned about their product being carbon-neutral.

The 100% wind power is good, the "child resistant" label makes me wonder how they test it.
Hope it fills your needs spongebob.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Shim, I re-read Ross Anderson's Security Engineering 2nd edition.
There was so many many dated or absolute :stare: moments in it with all that has happened in the world since the 2nd edition was published,
and how much stuff I understand better in the 2nd readthrough. The running theme of the book seemed to be "which, at the time, was not illegal in the UK".

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Over the past 2 weeks, I have watched or rewatched 70% of all James Bond movies.
Skipped the Lazanby movie, the two Connery versions of Thunderball & all Pierce Brosnan Bond movies.
Brosnan Bond movies were skipped because the Austin goddamn Powers + original 3 Jason Bourne movies did Bond better than the official Bond movies during that time period.

Overall, Man with the Golden Gun ended up my favorite classicBond movie somehow and Spectre is hands down the dumbest Bond movie I have ever watched.

Man with Golden Gun had a classier villain (Christopher Lee pre-beard & heavy metal album) than Bond himself, and the villain had all the cool gadgets in the movie not James Bond.

Spectre started making GBS threads itself during the opening fight in the helicopter and never stopped making GBS threads itself until the movie ended.
Nothing made sense, the villain had the most retarded motivation ever, and the villain's backstory itself came from the most hilariously dumb Ian Fleming Bond short story ever slash best Bond Movie title ever, Octopussy.
The Octopussy short story description on wikipedia cuts out 99% of the insane or brain damaged stuff in it.
Remember Peter Madsen, the dude who recently murdered a female journalist on his submarine?
Well, the murderer in the Octopussy short-story made Peter Madsen look smooth Criminal/Moriarty the supergenius criminal compentent.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Arc Light posted:

If you don't watch Goldeneye for the opening scene and/or the tank chase, you're doing yourself an unforgivable disservice. I rewatched it a couple months ago, for the first time since it came out in theaters. Movie was way more entertaining than I remembered; the only good Brosnan film in the series.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Man Goldeneye is worth is just for the tank chase

That's exactly what I did, youtube'd the Goldeneye opening & tank scenes before moving onto the Daniel Craig Bond movies.
Lazenby movie was mainly skipped from laziness.

You Only Live Twice's rooftop chase was one of the standout bits in classicBond, that camera work + music. swoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn2DMys-ZSc

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 5, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Roger Moore era Bond was pretty much double-take reaction shots, and it just worked.
Octopussy was the best ever title, Live & let die needs to be rewatched by everyone(like the aircraft chase stunt over the bayou chase or double-decker bus stunt).
Redneck sheriff in the Moore movies was amusing, the car jump with 360 spin was ruined by the slide whistle in Golden Gun.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

never say never again may be my favorite bond even though it doesnt really count

Yeah, it counts. Eon (Bond movie company) bought the rights to it.
Like I said, Man with the Golden Gun is my favorite Bond movie, can't really explain why.
Lowest kill count in a Bond film, no Bond gadgets, but....the Bond girls were fine, and Christopher Lee just seems to be having a blast on set.
Christopher Lee always adds something positive to movies for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Worse thing about getting old is the mild hand frostbite I got & laughed off in my 20s in hurts strong when I go out in subfreezing temps without gloves.

Been thinking about all the Bond villains I have watched recently.
A certain few stood out as icons of GIP, other Bond villains are way too healthy & well-adjusted to qualify as GIP icons.

Goldfinger, Senile grandpa(Spy who loved me), Drax (moonraker), and most of the Blofields(OnlyLiveTwice/Diamonds/Spectre) fit GIP exceptionally well.
Dr No has the VA quality medical prosthetics but is just too 1960's to fit in, Jaws has the Veteran Affairs dental work but is a mere recurring henchman.
Sean Bean & Christopher Walken have the attitude & rage to fit in, but are obscenely healthy & superfit and are therefore disqualifed under MedSep rules.

The quadruple agent villain in For Your eyes is simply just a 2016/2017 Trump cabinet member, and to this day, it is impossible to label the Live & let die villain because mother of god,
voodoo worship as enforcement cover + that scheme to Monopoly corner the US heroin market + every single bad guy in Live & let die being black is just dogbutton: .
Only Roger Moore could have pulled off Live & Let Die, othe Bond actors would have been super :stare: .

• Locked thread