Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

*it didn't explode per se but the transmission is totally hosed up, wouldn't shift properly and when it tried the car surged. couldn't go over 30 without some crazy shutter/RPM surging. I limped to the local Ford dealer. There are several recalls for various transmission components on my car so I'm hoping it's covered under one of those :ohdear:

You drive a Focus right, the one with the dual clutch 6-speed auto? Drove one of those for a few years, recently got rid of it, and heard second hand that the new owner has pretty much exactly the same problem as you. There's a Ford dealership close to where I work and I was told they replace the transmissions in those Focuses on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

TBeats posted:

Anyone drive a Ford Focus? I found a 2009 SES with 100k miles on it that's in great condition that I might jump on.

Had a 2014 SE that I drove around for a while, recently got rid of it. Was never too crazy about it but was a decent little commuter. I'd say it's good car if your main concern is fuel economy but you can't/won't invest in a hybrid.

The version I drove was prone to transmission issues, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about that in an 09.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Godholio posted:

Edit: Catte that was abandoned by mom's neighbor when they moved a couple of months ago. :mad:

Anyone who abandons a pet should have their loving teeth kicked in.

Take good care of that catte.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Next to my desk at work there's a waiting area for customers and a big TV to stare at. They were playing the inauguration on CNN.

I was genuinely amazed to learn that 3 Doors Down still exist.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 20, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ded posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXDBFpOHBE4

Too bad the singer died a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5No_JRrZw

Man, doesn't get more 1990's than Type O Negative to me.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I used to work for Sears a while back. Pretty glad I jumped off that ship before it began sinking.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

So before like 1990?

Let me rephrase that, glad I jumped off the ship before it was fully submerged.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

The house itself is probably fine. Most of those sewer lines under sidewalks and poo poo are laid well before the houses are even built, and rarely does a builder want to dick with doing utility work like that, so it almost certainly wouldn't have been the builder anyhow.

Maybe get a second home inspection if the first didn't seem thorough enough. And follow the guy around, ask questions. If they're not at the house for at least a few hours checking poo poo, you got a lovely inspector.

No yard, probably no garage, zero lot line, HOA fees, HOA rules, just as lovely as renting if your neighbors suck and you can't just wait out the lease, you need a whole new sucker like you.

Mostly stupid HOA poo poo though. You could pay several hundred a month just for the privilege to live on the property (that you don't own either, even if you own the house), to be told where to park, to maybe being booted and towed in front of your condo if the HOA is truly garbage, and condos have the worst boards.

You have more property rights to camping in the woods than owning a condo. Just find a small house.

I used to own a condo. This is all 100% true. Retard neighbors and HOA fees makes it essentially indistinguishable from renting.

The place I lived at had a literal 10 year waiting list to get a garage.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh poo poo new Expanse tonight :peanut:

:hellyeah:

Is it streaming anywhere?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bolow posted:

Secretly hoping they treat the Cibola Burn arc for The Expanse like HBO treated Books 4 and 5. Glossing over that poo poo in like 2 episodes and moving the gently caress on.

I really, really liked Leviathan's Wake but thought the books went downhill from there pretty quickly. I gave up after Abaddon's Gate. I'm hoping the rest of the books translate better into a tv show format because season 1 was awesome.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 4, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Patton Oswalt is a dick? I quite liked some of his standup stuff :(

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Captain's Choice Sandalwood
Royall Bay Rhum
Barberry Coast Havana

edit: I have currently a bottle of both Pinaud Bay Rum and Royall Bay Rhum. Royall is much nicer.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Have to shave for work so might as well get nice aftershave :saddowns:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

Just get rubbing alcohol and slap it on your face like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qu4ZBCU6Fc&t=30s

The key is to splash it in your palms, rub them together to dilute, and then apply.

Depends on the aftershave though. It's usually relative to cost. The cheaper ones often feel like pouring liquid fire on your face since it's pretty much straight up rubbing alcohol with fragrance. In the slightly more expensive brands they tend to use essential oils and stuff that make them a lot smoother.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Eightball

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

psydude posted:

I'll be at Hanscom for work the day before St. Patrick's Day, which is on a Friday this year. Is it worth sticking around in Boston for it, or is it an annoying shitshow?

I work in Acton and drive past Hanscom almost every day on my way to my job :keke:

I personally like the Salem area, north of Boston. Clogged with tourists around Halloween but other times of the years it's just a nice picturesque small towny Massachusetts place. Got some nice restaurants and bars there, Howling Wolf Taqueria has some good Mexican stuff, Tavern on the Green in the lobby of the Hawthorne Hotel for un-pretentious pub fare and Rockefellas is nice if you're in the mood for fancier cocktail fare. I rarely venture into Boston itself unless I absolutely have to.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone who knows anything knows that the E24 was the last good looking BMW produced.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

BMWs were the worst Bond cars

The only reason that happened was because BMW bought British Leyland I mean Rover back in the mid-90's, and Britain's idea of gratitude was to use BMW's as Bond cars. Nevermind that the whole deal blew up a few years later when BMW realized that no one outside of quaint farming villages in the West Midlands wanted to buy Rovers anymore.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Yep. Jay Leno has one and it's loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

I once saw one at the Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. That thing looks cool as hell in person, purestrain art deco.

They actually have some cool non-Ford stuff there. An old Cord, an Oscar Meyer weinermobile, an old land speed record car powered by 4 Chrysler hemis, a huge-rear end steam locomotive and the Lincoln Continental convertible in which JFK had his brains blown out.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 22, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Home ownership is cool and good

Went to a couple of open houses yesterday see what's available in the vicinity. The townhouse complex I live in just decided to raise the rent by like $300/month, so they can go suck a high hard one. Renting just feels like throwing money down the toilet in the long run, wasting money on something you can't call your own, and at the end of the day you don't have anything to show for it, no property that you'll eventually have some equity in.

Feeling pretty intimated by the fact that I might be a homeowner within the not too distant future, but I figured that I might as well pretend I'm an adult at some point. Even if it means fixing appliances when they break.

I kinda wish I lived in a part of the country where house prices weren't quite as insane, but you work with what you got I suppose.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 28, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I have a black car and had it washed the other day, and now it suddenly has a beautiful new two-tone paint job I call Salt Spray Zebra.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

I love USAA for being cool and helping me get poo poo taken care of right away, but goddamn I have to wait until Tuesday now for some guy to come look at my car. In the meantime I'm waiting to hear back from them about getting a rental but thankfully I don't have much planned for the next few days. Sucks though, because my girlfriend and I were about to take a trip to Bryce Canyon and we'll have to put that on hold because the deductible will eat through our trip budget.

From my experience working with USAA they seem like a competent organization as far as giant insurance companies go, but my god they take their time doing anything. Like if you're buying a car and financing through USAA, what usually is a 1-2 day procedure turns into a 3-5 day procedure because their processing times for stuff like that are glacial.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

oh my god :worship:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Walk the Line was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-uc5_QEmuM

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZXvScPYCao

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

GUYS RICK AND MORTY SEASON 3 PREMIERE IS BEING SHOWN ON ADULT SWIM'S WEBSITE IN A LOOP

THIS IS NOT A JOKE

https://twitter.com/RickandMorty/status/848324499435126785

That was quite something. More headshots than The Departed.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Wild at Heart or bust

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I used to own a 2000 9-3 hatch with a 5-speed. I know, lovely GM era, but I still enjoyed the way it looked and drove.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

840 Hp
0-60 2.3 seconds

This is a production car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vD6A6NxySQ

:lol: The supercharger alone has a bigger displacement than the engine in my old Focus.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Buca di Bepis posted:

Holy poo poo have you guys seen The Void? First Lovecraftian movie I've ever seen that half lives up to the material.

The trailer looked cool as hell. Is it streaming somewhere or is it in cinemas only?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'm really struggling to stay interested in Abaddons Gate right now.

Leviathan's Wake was totally my poo poo. Caliban's War was alright. Lost interest after Abaddon's Gate.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm glad I stopped using those garbage cartridge Gillette razors. With my safety razor I get a 100-pack of blades off Amazon for $25 and it lasts me literally a year. Haven't quite dared to move up to straight razors yet though :ohdear:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Reviews for the new Alien movie are starting to trickle in and it looks to be a janky pile of garbage just like Prometheus. What the gently caress, Ridley :dogout:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:hellyeah:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39873020

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

Never buy a new dodge anything.

The service manager at my local dealership says Chargers and Challengers have little to no issues :shrug:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Finally got around to watching Rouge One. It was an actual entertaining, fun movie to watch unlike The Force Awakens.

Felicity Jones :swoon:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone else using dashcams for their cars? Just got a Blacksys CH-100B 2-channel system, seems pretty neat so far. It's got a wi-fi mode so I can pull up clips on my phone if I want to. When I inevitably get flattened by an 18-wheeler driving to work maybe they can salvage the SD card so I can live in infamy in some gruesome Liveleak clip.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I drive like 25k miles/year, most of it in heavy traffic, so I figured I might as well splurge for a decent dashcam in case something happens. If all I ever need to use it for is butt peeping in parking lots I'll be pretty happy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bolow posted:

Oh hey Neil Blomkamp basically did XCOM: The Short Movie but you know using his characteristic ultra-violent action set pieces and being way more hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

I need more of this. MORE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Double rainbow and lightning action on my way home from work today. A sign from Freddie Mercury?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtStj3uJUBw&t=204s

• Locked thread