Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Where my Tidewater GiP goons at? Everyone ready to die in the hurricane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

loling while i desperately figure out what to do with myself after retirement in 2-4 years!!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah I'm agonizing over that too because I could maintain my TS/SCI and try to get some GS job or totally gently caress off from the gubmint and uh, go to trade school and be a plumber or a locksmith or something.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Always go overseas if there's an opportunity to do it. The experience changes your life and really broadens your perspective of civilization and what it means to be a citizen of the US and the world. And I'm serious about that!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Your son can pick both of those billets for the ship, and it will increase his chance to be selected for those orders.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Al Capwn posted:

I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?

Hi I'm a career counselor.

My advice would be to develop a sound plan (in writing) on what you're going to do after the Navy, and the steps that you're going to take prior to separation to improve your chances of success. If that's looking for employment, you need time to develop a resume and network. If you're going to school, then you need to research schools and settle on a degree program. How are you going to do your move? Where will you live? How much leave are you taking so you have time to find housing? What will you do for insurance? That kind of poo poo. Make a timeline. You should do that even if it's all bullshit and you're planning to smoke weed every day on your GFs couch or whatever. Then you'll have something to show your CoC that you're serious about poo poo, and they're much more likely to let you do your thing.

I get the advice from others saying wait as long as possible, etc. but that doesn't get you rolling on the stuff you actually need to leave the Navy. You're going to want to get your MTF appointments done and taken care of prior to 6 months from your EAOS so you can get your VA paperwork completed. T-GPS is useful for some, not so much for others, but you can get something out of it if you pay attention.

Do you have a C-WAY reenlistment quota? If you do, and you're within 6 months of PRD (and you haven't been negotiating for orders) then you're about to be slammed with PCS orders. When that happens, you're going to be forced to admit that you're planning to separate. Your command will have to rescind your C-WAY quota and write and submit a Failure to OBLISERV message for you. That's negative attention you don't need. Your command has to do extra paperwork, and the command that filled a billet has to wait even longer to get somebody assigned (sometimes a lot longer), which doesn't please senior folks.

If you don't have a C-WAY quota, then your command should already know that you're planning to separate (or forgot about you). See my earlier advice. Have a good plan and communicate, and they're likely to go along with it. I haven't known any CO's that made it a mission to hassle Sailors trying to leave the Navy when it was on good terms.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I haven't had much interaction with Chiefs apart from my RDCs at OCS, at the FRS they mostly keep to themselves/scare/teach the enlisted students.

That said I had my weirdest encounter with a Chief the other day. I was dropping off cookies to the break room when one of the random Chiefs rolls in. He was pumped to meet the cookie guy but then he immediately dipped into telling me (and several people in the room) his life story about how he was former EOD and had been shot a few times in the desert and blown up a couple of times. He even pulled out his phone to show us x-rays to show us the screws in his body for his bones.

It was cool and all, but in between the photos, him telling us about how he'd fought his med discharge to a court-martial (is that a thing?) and his dozens of concussions, I was mostly thinking in my head a combination of "how the hell are you alive?!?" and "all those concussions makes me think of that cowboy football character in Not Another Teen Movie."

Nice guy though, really liked the cookies.

That's weird and doesn't really make sense. You'd only lose your crab (EOD qual) and have to convert if you were being kicked out of the job for cause. Wounded EOD techs, if kept in after a med board, will get to keep being EOD techs. I know at least three techs on active duty with prosthetic limbs. Probably more to that story!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Wtf is all this traffic getting onto base this morning? *phone buzzes* ohhhhhhhhh

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/virginia-beach-naval-air-station-shooting-one-dead-one-injured-n991261

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

orange juche posted:

Pass this to him: The easiest way to find out would be to check CANTRAC here (https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/development.aspx *CAC Required*) for the length of both schools, and then compare the combined length to the length of the intermediate stop in your orders for training. If your orders stop encompass the time needed for both schools, then you are getting both schools. If the orders do not encompass both school lengths, then it will fit around one of them at least, and you can figure out what school you are getting. If you're not getting the CANES NEC, then your ship is probably going to make arrangements for you to get it once you arrive. My first set of orders to a ship had me billeted to go there as a SNAP III system administrator (SNAP III didn't exist anymore) but I did not get that school en route, they sent me for another NEC once I arrived at the ship instead of going while on the way there.

What? Just call the loving detailer dawg, they'll tell you what and when. 901-874-2824.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

orange juche posted:

The amount of times I was able to get a hold of a Navy detailer and actually have back and forth correspondence in 8 years was approximately once. Via email en route to second command because haha the idea of possibly getting in contact with a detailer coming from your initial training was considered an absolute pipe dream, and also discouraged by the instructors. Our only interaction with the detailer while in the initial training pipeline was one way, where we picked east coast, west coast, or overseas and then the detailer stuck us wherever they felt like putting us, IF they had billets for us, and if they felt like doing that instead of rolling a set of dice and just tossing us wherever was open for minimally trained junior enlisted.

You're right about this. Sorry for being short.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Speaking of that, it looks like there isn't a Marine thread anymore? Did they all die/get out? Future Navy threads should be DEPT of the Navy threads from now on maybe?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

This happened a few hours ago: https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/loud-boom-heard-by-many-across-the-southside-monday-night/1964509466 People reported this all over the area, it was LOUD.

I thought a car had run into my house or something. Navy says "Not us!" but I have suspicions.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We need to go back to this uniform

found while exploring this place

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted at the same time at Balboa like 12 years ago. The bottom right one left a deep pocket that apparently has a little bit of exposed bone? Every time I've gotten an exam since then, the dentist has wanted me to go to oral surgery and get a cadaver bone implant so they can sew my gums up around it. I'm like, ehhhhh that sounds like it'll suck and be painful so I haven't done it. Clearly I should do it before I retire while it's still free but gently caress.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I was driving directly through the courthouse area with my kid the very minute that shooting was taking place. I live about 3 minutes away from there. We came back through about an hour later to go to a piano lesson and saw every cop car in VA Beach there with lights on. I called it and said "has to be a mass shooting" to my wife. Surreal poo poo. gently caress that guy.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Red Crown posted:

Glad you both got home safe. Guess that's all we can say these days.

Thank you. Yeah, VB is in the mass shooting club now. Cool trend.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

Anyone else a member of Navy groups on Facebook? Surprising no one they seem to be filled with a ton of retired warmongers who really want to bomb Iran for...reasons.

I'm in a few Career Counselor/Navy Counselor groups and they're very tame. Mostly filled with dorks that don't know how to Google a MILPERSMAN article or read an OPNAVINST.

But the FB group from my Destroyer is a shitshow. I was on a Spruance, not a Burke, so I have all kinds of old nasty sexist racist homophobic turds posting garbage from trash websites. I stay in the group purely for entertainment purposes.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Not a Chief, maybe this year, but technically the only thing actually required is the CPO Selectee Leadership Course, which is uh, a week or something. SEAL/SWCC for example, tend to do just that bit since it's required. Obviously, if you don't go through the initiation season then word will get around or whatever.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Virginia Slams posted:

I have a question on waiving your last advancement exam when getting out. I'm trying waive it because there is zero reason i would ever stay in. But I feel like my chief is just making poo poo up at this point regarding waiving it. He said that people who are hitting HYT(I am not HYT) who waive their exam lose benefits or whatever and that he believes that applies to waiving your final exam if you are not HYT and just getting out.

To me it sounds like he either has no idea what he's talking about or he just wants me to take the exam for no reason. Anyone have insight, does this sound like bullshit?

He's regurgitating bullshit at you. There is also no such thing as "waiving" the exam. You take it or you don't. If your command designates the exam as your place of duty for that morning, they can give you poo poo for being UA. The exam has zero bearing on your future benefits. If you separate after the results come out, that should be documented on your DD-214 (selected for advancement or PNA) which can have some importance if you decide the rejoin the military. If you separate before results come out, then taking the exam is 100% meaningless.

As others have said, you should just take the exam. It's a couple of hours (shorter if you just bubble it randomly) and you should just go with the flow until you get out.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

DustyNuts posted:

He's regurgitating bullshit at you. There is also no such thing as "waiving" the exam. You take it or you don't. If your command designates the exam as your place of duty for that morning, they can give you poo poo for being UA. The exam has zero bearing on your future benefits. If you separate after the results come out, that should be documented on your DD-214 (selected for advancement or PNA) which can have some importance if you decide the rejoin the military. If you separate before results come out, then taking the exam is 100% meaningless.

As others have said, you should just take the exam. It's a couple of hours (shorter if you just bubble it randomly) and you should just go with the flow until you get out.

Edit: Some people are reasonable and will agree with you when you tell them you're 100% separating and don't want to advance and take a quota from a Sailor that intends to stay in the Navy. Try that.

Quote is not edit. Oops.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Finally got selected for :chiefsay:

I'll report back in 6 weeks.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Hi I'm at work on a Saturday making a wooden box. Thanks for the grats everyone. I'll be one of the good ones.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Wife just had our second kid today, a boy this time! Having a new baby while I'm doing CPO initiation is going to be... challenging

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

maffew buildings posted:

This is a great opportunity to experience what one of our old Chiefs told my buddy when he was sent out on det when his wife was having their child, the Navy comes before your family and we all miss out on stuff. Namaste.

Fortunately, that isn't how this command rolls. We turn off TAD trips for people within 30 days of a delivery date, and they can't deploy.

I'm taking 5 days now, and the rest after pinning.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

days
left

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You're retiring right? If so you can just go to T-GPS days 1 and 5 (skip the DOL workshop in the middle) and meet the VOW compliancy requirements that way. Unless you can't get to a class for some reason? JKO sucks. And if you go to the class you can at least take home the nice 2019 VA booklet.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yes, you'll still need to complete the minimum CRS. Skip the DoL Workshop portion of the JKO course. Print/save your certificates for the rest of the course to prove completion.

https://www.dodtap.mil/career_readiness_standards.html

Here's a modified list for you.

Complete Pre-Separation Counseling.
Complete the Veteran Affairs (VA) Benefits Briefings I and II.
Complete the Department of Labor (DOL) Employment Workshop.
Register on eBenefits.
Prepare a criterion-based Financial Plan for military to civilian transition.
Complete a criterion-based Individual Transition Plan (ITP).
Complete Continuum of Military Service Opportunity Counseling (Active Component to Reserve Component only).
Evaluate transferability of military skills to the civilian workforce/ Complete DoD Standardized Gap Analysis.
Document requirements and eligibility for licensure, certification, and apprenticeship.
Complete an assessment tool to identify personal interests and leanings regarding career selection.
Complete a job application package or show received a job offer letter.

I could do your Capstone with you, but that can get touchy depending on your command/Career Counselor, etc.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

Thanks everyone! I am alive and well, only minor cuts and bruises, and going to bed soon. Had a lot of "fun".

Box photo

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Thanks for the love everyone.

Chief shirts owned: 1 (given to me last night), and it doesn't have any skulls or hosed up animal people on it.

Truck: 0. I have a sensible payment going on a 2018 RAV4.

Chief stickers on car: 0, but my wife is threatening to make a giant one that covers the whole rear window.

Fat/mustache: Not yet, maybe I'll work on it.

The word "behoove" has become verbal poison and I eliminated it from my vocabulary long ago.

I was a First Class for 10 years and I've seen all of the bad Chief archetypes. Now I can finally call them out on their dumb/lovely behavior.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

You in Norfolk?

When I get out there I'll just call every chief I see Chief DustyNuts till I find you.

Virginia Beach. If you're coming to town let me know and we can go grab a drink or something and chat about wives and kids.

McNally posted:

Time to create a new archetype!

"Old PO1 becomes CPO with little to no time to advance to SCPO so doesn't give a poo poo about playing games/politics"

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

New Chief update: Walking around in uniform and interacting with random Sailors that I don't know is weird because I'm not used to being treated differently. They almost seem afraid - like I'm gonna start yelling at them. It's like they've been abused and are fearful, and it throws me the gently caress off, haha

Anyway, I'm finally taking my two weeks of baby leave. My new son is five weeks old so better late than never!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

After many years in Virginia Beach (2014-present) I have the opportunity to PCS somewhere else. My wife and I are from San Diego. We've NEVER been stationed there and were hoping for the chance to make it happen. We have a 9 yo daughter and a 10-week old son. We have family in SD and my wife would have employment opportunities there (she's a Medical Lab Tech), but alas, there is gently caress all on CMSID this cycle for anything on the West Coast AKA best coast.

However, there is a command in Sasebo, Japan on the list. It's been gapped for a long loving time. I get the feeling that if I ask for it, I'll get it. We've been overseas before. Sigonella, Italy and Rota, Spain for a total of 4 1/2 years between them. We enjoyed the experience (rose-colored glasses) while acknowledging that we're cutting family off from seeing the kids. That part sucks. But god drat, we will never have another opportunity to live in Japan.

Any of you dudes that have experience in Japan, tell me if we should apply? The billet is Sea Duty, but it's at the staff level at a squadron instead of being on a ship.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

So today as I was leaving work I had a child with his father greet me and the little boy thanked me for my service(I was in uniform). I knelt down in front of the little boy and said "thank you for your support" and gave him one of the CPO challenge coins. A 20 something old guy walking by decided that was his time to tell the kid " dont thank him for his service he kills children like you" I have to admit it took all of my will to not show him what I am actually capable of. I simply stood up and told him he was lucky I was still active duty to which he replied "or what you would kill me too?" I smiled and walked away shaking out of pure loving rage. I honestly dont understand people today and I hope that kid appreciates the coin he got today and doesnt remember what the guy said.

(Reposted what I assume is STDH)

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Virginia Slams posted:

Separating is an absolute nightmare. Does anyone have experience with conflicting DMO and command instructions regarding moving HHG.

DMO is telling me I need to have separation orders and 2 weeks notice to pick up my HHGs.

My command is telling me I cannot start my package to be sent to the detailers through admin and PSD for separation orders until 2 weeks prior to terminal leave.

Part of the package is a finished check out sheet, I live in the barracks and cant leave the barracks with stuff in my room still so I cannot get that completed even if everything else is done the day I hit 2 weeks left. Even if I could my command told me it will likely take a week to several weeks to receive actual separation orders once I complete everything my command wants. So it's likely I wont get them until I'm already out on terminal.

DMO said I will not be reimbursed if ship them myself without already written separation orders.

I spoke to marine corps DMO they said I could get line of accounting HHG orders to schedule the move because that's what they do in this situation. Then I spoke to navy DMO and they told me they no longer do that Navy side.

I'm moving from the west coast to east coast so approximately 2800 miles. I'll have no way to Coordinate or guarantee anything is done right after I leave. I've heard horror stories of getting reimbursed after being on terminal.

Does anyone know of any way to get this fixed. My chain is worthless and toothless. They will not fight this and have no solutions to offer other than we'll look into it.

This is some bullshit. By the regs, you have to initiate your separation move within 180 days of EAOS. This means there are supposed to be mechanisms in place for you to request and receive your separation orders by that timeframe. Roadblocks preventing you from getting separation orders until you're on terminal leave is unacceptable.

I'm assuming you've done what they've asked so far, right? Did you submit a separation request/NSIPS Separation request as required? You don't have plat or I'd PM you. If you want to toss up an email address I'll hit you up for details. Maybe I can help you out.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Separation orders should be processed 180 days out from EAOS. It's really dumb command policy to tie orders up with a check out sheet or eval or whatever. What if you wanted to send family back home early? You'd be hosed and have to do it all on terminal leave. More than likely somebody submitted stuff late to PSD, if at all. Press the issue and get annoying, maybe?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Most memorable meal from my last time home in SD was at Yakudori: http://sandiegoyakyudori.com/page/yakyudori-dinner

The best yakitori I've ever had (disclaimer: I've never been to Japan) and the Kanazawa Curry Rice (deluxe) with all the extra stuff was incredibly good.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You only need to do better than about half of the people taking the exam. I was good at the exam, but lovely at making CPO. This was the first January in a decade that I didn't have to do my annual Navy ritual.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I served with that guy a couple of years ago, he's a good dude. Funny seeing people you know in articles. That suuuucks though.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Good. What a turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

What's up lurker? Based on the AV I'm guessing that you're in 1C right now? You can be the official GiP diver.

It's weird because ECS is actually happening now. I have folks coming to my command next month from there.