Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah in 2000-2001 we did 65 days out. We also didn’t hit any ports en route to the gulf.

It fuckin sucked.

Hey we got beer though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When I was in I worked with a guy who dyed his hair and it came out some hosed up not normal color and they made him dye it back :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

All this nuke talk as made me remember my nuke story. I'll start this story off by saying I am 100% glad I didn't end up going the nuke route because of how everything else worked out.

I signed up for the navy in the winter of 96 for an August of 97 entry date. I was a pretty big fuckup in H.S. and I just wanted to GTFO of the area I was living in. I had no idea what I really wanted to do but I somehow read that being a Nuke in the navy was like the best of the best and so I was like well why not?

I went to the recruiter and told them I wanted to be a nuke and they said "Well you can't just go in as a nuke you need to score high enough on the ASVAB and pass a second test administered by a nuke officer." I was like yeah ok whatever lets do this. Where I hosed up (initially) was that they told me I needed to pick a rate before I go any further in the process and being a dumb 17 year old I was like yeah ok and they put me in as an AT.

About 2 weeks after I had signed up at MEPS the nuke officer comes to the recruiting office and gives me this math test. I pass it and the dude shakes my hand and says " welcome to the nuke program". I'm like awesome great all done with that poo poo.

I continue to gently caress up in H.S. because who gives a poo poo at this point as long as I graduate none of this poo poo matters. Right??

Well obviously not lol

I get my transcripts and I take them with me on my departure date. The recruiter dude looks and them and was like "Ooh man you got a D in trig?? Man sorry but you needed to get a C to be a nuke. You'll have to go in as an AT now."

My dad who was with me was like gently caress that gently caress these guys lets go talk to the airforce. I was like eh I don't really want to wait and change things around I'll just go in as an AT. I honestly have no idea if they were lying to me or if I actually did need to get a C because they never said anything to me about my grades once I passed the test. If I would have known I obviously would have gotten at least a C but I was in full gently caress it mode after passing everything.

In the end I'm glad I went AT because my school was the nuke washout school and we had two nukes in our class (along with two marines) and we had a fuckin lot of fun and nuke school sounded like bullshit.

That's my nuke story.

Knowing what I know now about recruiters I'm betting they were lying to me about the grades thing but I'm not sure why they did because an enlistment is an enlistment. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Well sending kids who are most likely gonna fail out for poor study habits may have been the contributing factor. Sounds like he actually did you a solid.

Yeah that actually makes more sense. They did never tell me that though lol

He 100% did me a solid because being on the Air side was great. I also didn't have to do 6 years.

The two nukes we had in our class were pretty fuckin weird too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seabees are really good at making softball fields I’ll tell you that much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe it’s just how some people talk.

Like I’m going to the rite aid.

I’m going to the Starbucks.

It’s not correct but I still say it. I don’t think the OP is intentionally insulting a nation of people because of an incorrect use of the word the.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Wont matter what we call it shortly because its gonna be back to being the satellite state of Russia again.

Also this tbh.

No one is gonna do anything and hopefully there isn’t a tremendous loss of life.

It’s gonna be bad though and I feel sorry for the people that are getting 0 support.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Unless checked, it's not going to stop at Ukraine. Vlad is on record that none of the former Republics have any right to be separate from Russia.

Ok well have you considered what sanctions might do???

(yeah jack and poo poo)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s just Ukraine. Not “The Ukraine”.

Since 1991, at least.

I’m cycling back to this because over the past few days I’ve been watching CNN and they’ve been saying The Ukraine on a pretty regular basis.

Wolf blitzer also said it multiple times.

It’s definitely the way some people speak and not intended as a slight against the country.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I had a guy I served with hit me up on messenger in what may have been a cocaine binge and he wanted me to move to northern California and work with him on a weed farm he was building, which isn't too wild, I guess, but this weed farm was going to be filled with tilapia fish and a bunch of tubes so the fish could fertalize the weed plants. Sounded a bit sketchy. Weed was also not legal at that time in California.

My dad is in the weed business and I’ve heard this dumbass pitch 1000 times.

Like it sounds good on paper but I’ve not seen it done in practice yet. It’s always the exact same pitch though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I feel like to get any meaningful gains out of aquaponic two phase culture like that you need to do it on an large industrial scale and that requires like $50M in seed capitol to build the facility with all the automated controls and continuous sampling and treatment.

Yeah and like if it could be done well people would already be taking advantage of it.

Tbh at this point in weed legal states weed is practically worthless anyway so trying to dump that much money into it would be incredibly dumb.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Madurai posted:

I got out 30 years ago yesterday. It's still good.

21 years for me and I’m good with it.

I don’t regret my time in at all though I’m just happy I made the right choice to get out when I did. I almost re upped in the gulf (pre 9/11) but they wouldn’t let me change my NEC (?) so I said gently caress it which was the right call.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had a great time overall as an I level AT.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was stationed in Everett for like a year. It mostly sucked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I stayed and worked in Seattle for 4 years after I got out and I was beyond ready to GTFO. It’s great sometimes but drat that weather.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love love love the DC area and I’d move there in a heartbeat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I suppose the questions are "why do you want to go to Norfolk?"

This is the real question.

Why?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t see any prevention?

What am I missing here?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What the hell is a done boat anyway?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Saltygoat5/status/1571689070727950336?t=_cKvDk4af5rfEQUM86h-YQ&s=19

A (Lady) SWO First Lieutenant QTed this saying that her job was similar to a teachers with dealing with the stupid poo poo deck Sailors get up to.

Of course this brought out the usual crowd that don't understand what a Navy First Lieutenant is/does and wouldn't have a issue with a dude saying that

Like what’s the problem with the tweet? I’m clearly missing come context here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve heard that the bees are real good at building softball fields.

Also something about LCACs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hey guys, some enlisting advice please.
One of my students has already been snared by a recruiter and is super happy about enlisting as an AT after graduation in May. I'm not super up on aviation rates or the process in general. Is there anything I can tell her before she signs a contract (other than "don't") to help her out in that rate in particular?

I was an AT and it was great. I was I level though and afaik it’s random if you go I or O. O is attached to a squadron where as I got assigned to a shop.

I level was legit when we were out at sea because we spent all day in our ACd shop watching TV and playing video games while the test equipment did it’s thing lol.

It’s probably changed in the last 20 years though so :shrug:

Oh and AT didn’t have a whole lot of career poo poo after I got out. If I would have been like an ATC it would have been money.

Also AT was a nuke washout school so we got some weird dudes in our class.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cerekk posted:

If you just have a high school education, you should not join the military, you should enter another field that offers full benefits, education, and upward mobility, such as:

NGL here but get hired on with the TSA.

If you are just 18 it’s a pretty ok job all in all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno why people keep bringing up nuke lol the kid wants to go in as an AT (aviation electronics tech) lol

AT was pretty cool tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Never, ever, ever go Nuke.

AT seemed pretty chill. I could probably do without the FOD walkdowns, but those are at least practical.

Go I level and you never see the deck :smug:

I think I did exactly one FOD walk down and that was a base wide one in coronando lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean ideally you'd get some kind of technical rate right? Like FC/ET/IC/IT, basically combat systems in general. It's easy to translate the skills you get in those rates to civ side, you generally have a bunch of spaces to hide in, in general you aren't doing a ton of manual labor etc.

I don't know poo poo about aviation rates, maybe AT is kind of the equivalent. At least she isn't going AO.

AT is kinda the aviation version of ET.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that’s good but it’s a too on the nose.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm 6'3, 195lbs, so I got a lotta pizzas and JEA breakfast burritos to eat.

lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Oh God. It just never crossed my mind that someone who posts in the Navy thread wouldn't drink coffee.

Yeah sounds pretty suspect if you ask me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Is ricky rocket ffuel still a thing in boot camp? Coffee and chocolate milk?

When I was in boot camp in 97 it was coffee and Coca Cola.

I did not try it because it seemed vile.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought a TV in Dubai at the mall and brought it back for our shop lol

Worst part was having to degauss it every fuckin day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

For the record, PCON Crab Dad would not get probated if he appended the disclaimer to his posts, and they’ve been made aware of this.

I just have a duty to ensure our lurkers’ safety.

Fwiw anyone lurking SA at this point is probably too old to join any of the armed services.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s just a 6 hour probation or whatever but I feel like maybe you could have simply come in here and said “hey that’s not ok” and people would understand.

But then again you don’t get to press a button and make the poster seem like a creep so what do I know.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I didn’t think I needed to say “don’t make light of sexual assault” because we’re all grown ups here. If you think that’s an issue, then you might be part of the problem.

Ok if you say so.

FrozenVent posted:

“I’d rather get molested than …” crosses a line.

You could have just posted that and not made that poster seem like a creep with a probation.

Unwritten rules that no one knows about are the best rules though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Just to be clear, your issue here is that someone could read the poster’s rap sheet and think they were being creepy? That’s the issue here?

Also, it’s 2023. “Don’t make light of sexual assault” does not need to be written on a stone tablet.

That and the fact it didn’t warrant a probation. A simple post of don’t do that would have been perfectly fine.

I guess it’s easier to press a button though :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He probably should have just said “ kid is sick can’t come in” and been done with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had a perfectly fine time in the navy. I would have stayed in if they would have let me change my NEC.

I think it kinda depends on how much time dude has in. If I was over half way to getting my 20 I’d stick it out. Under that? Depends on the job.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know there are a lot of bittervets in here but not everyone has / had it that bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I was spoiled being on the air side lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Found some old navy stuff in the garage

I also found my old cover lol

At least my head didn’t get any fatter so that still fits.