Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LordNad posted:

http://imgur.com/a/WjpXF

Behold the Lite Brite!

The last time I remember ATs trying to get one of these to boot up, it caught fire.

It's looks like a single bay uyk7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LordNad posted:

I always assumed you had way better gear on the ship.

Depends on the platform. Some ships have been in service for 35+ years and haven't gone through modernization. Even the cruisers that went through cruiser mod couldn't replace everything and still have some older systems.

You'd be surprised at what you could do with uyk7s or uyk43s though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

At quarters yesterday they told us to stand by to lose a training day because of a potential safety stand-down about the JCS. I'm an instructor in Great Mistakes. :what:

Oh?

Do you teach fc's/gm's or et's/ic's? I was the fc/gm lpo over there a few years ago. My brothers a Sami over at rtc where he gets off at 10am and it's an actual shore duty.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

FC. I've only been here a year, so I doubt we crossed paths.

No we wouldn't have.

You're dinq on MTS by the way :chiefsay:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Also, speaking of frigates, a tiny bit of inside baseball I got today would seem to indicate that reactivating some frigates is all but a done deal.

Also, maybe its just me but it seems like some of our SWO brethren are being a little too defensive about perfectly legitimate points that Frozen Vent is making...

loving lol. Do they plan on modernizing them at all or are we sending out some more uyk-7/43 ships? And who's manning them?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Because the Navy refuses to spec a ship that will handle all the low intensity stuff and doesn't need all the expensive electronics and gadgets and weapons.

Think about the LCS

There's nothing expensive about an LCS.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

The fact that it sucks at its job because it was built with what I assume was the same procurement process as the Bradley IFV.

Spiral acquisition model!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C2XdkGPoAs&t=3s

A demonstration of the LCS's development history and future.

I guess. We've bought 27 of them so...

I guess I get defensive of the program because people working on it (me) give a poo poo and go to work everyday to try to get as much of a quality product out to the sailor as we can, but we're hamstrung by the original build spec and design documents, and how hosed up a lot of the subs systems are. Like there's a requirement for ew, but since it's a 500 million dollar ship you get a wbr, not a slq, etc, etc. This is without going into how even though we have mature processes from other platforms (ddgs mainly) we don't use them and just keep making shittier wheels.

Maybe the new FFGs will be better.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 24, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

We did circadian that rotated every two weeks that wasn't too bad.

We rotated every port visit, so 25-40 days. I think that's the way to do it really since the port visit is essentially a reset.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

Casualties in a shooting war will be.

Good thing they're not designed to be used in a shooting war.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The gently caress is the point of a warship that can't go to war?

Man, some real salty people in here that an LCS is in fact, not a DDG.

It's a 500 million dollar ship that's meant to go cruise around for force projection. That's it. Any cursory look at its actual capabilities tells you that. Admirals were sick of sending loving billion dollar ships to do circles by pirates and low risk areas I guess.

Ironically due to its C4I capabilities it doesn't really even do that well though, lol. You get what you pay for.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 24, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just saying if they have no purpose in a fight, and they are finicky enough to justify long-term specialized crew over people who rotate off every couple of years to never return

There's nothing specialized about the crew. They're maintainers who (based on the 4 crews I've worked with) show zero ownership in the equipment. Additionally from what I've seen once you're in the community you don't leave. When they rotate off the hull they go to lcsron, then back to an Indy or freedom.

Imo the only thing they need to do with these is pick one to do mine warfare full time and the other to be a force net ship with a better radar, link, and cec.

Boon posted:

Each 500 million spent on one of these lovely ships is 500 million that wasn't plowed into ASCM and next gen land attack and I am salty about this, yes

Oh cmon, you know drat well they're entirely different pots of money.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 24, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

The Navy keeps trying to make everything a front line warship with radar and ECM and ~multirole~

And that's really the issue. They keep adding poo poo but since these are supposed to be cheap and expendable you get cheap expendable systems. Bthen the sailor shows up and asks why x doesn't work like it does on uss loving multi billion dollar warship and I have to not have a brain aneurysm.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

LCS are gross overkill for loving pirate patrols, too. You could've built a cheaper frigate without the nonsensical modular ideas and some off-the-shelf EW systems for basic self-protection in case of a real "oh poo poo" moment, and it would've been half the cost.

I'm not sure how you could knock 250 million off the price by just not building the mission package areas.

The LCS already has an "off the shelf" ew system, and RAM on top.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

My contention is that EW and RAM are superfluous to the job a cheap navy ship should actually be doing.

I mean they're more or less the cheapest defensive systems we have. Even though an LCS shouldn't be engaging I'd be wary of having a ship that operates in the op areas LCS does not having anything.

TsarZiedonis posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm just a layman, but isn't the issue with the LCS it's cost? IIRC it's way, way more expensive than equivalent types of ships in other navies.

Cost relative to mission effectiveness compared to other countries high end frigates. The mission modules being complete failures don't help the cost side.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 24, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

The old timers in my office keep saying the reason the Fitz and the McCain collisions happened is because the COs don't yell at the OODs like they used to in the old days :rolleyes:.

I snapped today and said you fuckers haven't been on a ship in 3 decades, what the gently caress do you know?

This is a daily occurrence working with retired chiefs and master chiefs who retired 20 years ago. They have no frame of reference regarding shipboard life or really the navy.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Well yeah, I'd walk off the pier with a binder in my arms and go gently caress around on my phone for an hour and a half sometimes when there was nothing going on besides 'be here'

Let me tell you about the time the MRGs on the MOB blew up so we couldn't get underway and were essentially building CG53 for half a year. We were still slated to go on pac with the Stennis strike group, so for poo poo like comptuex the triad told us we would be fast cruising for two weeks.

After like 3 days we eventually just ended up going to shift work for the watches and told people to show up for the 8 hours you were supposed to be on your 'underway' watch for, and as long as no one was late if you weren't on watch you didn't have to be onboard. Amazingly no one hosed it up but man 2 weeks of a fast cruise might have started a mutiny.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

Every submarine has people sleeping in their racks during the day every day. What is so important during the day on a surface ship that you have to have everybody awake? I seriously can't think of any possible benefit to be gained from waking everybody up.

I can only speak to two deployments on one CG but we didn't have a problem with anyone in berthing during the day. First deployment no one gave any fucks, second you needed a late sleepers chit which was easy to get assuming you had a need. When I was on 5 on 7 off/7 on 5 off when we had 2 CSCs during the 5 off I'd normally pass out in the shop and no one gave me any poo poo there either. I suppose we were lucky.

One of our local guys died in his sleep last night, he was a retired ETCM who retired two years ago, dude was always stressed the gently caress out at work and showed pretty clear signs of alcoholism last year, but seemed to be getting better. I guess 30 years in the Navy has terrible effects on the body and psyche (SHOCKING!). Be sure to take care of yourselves regardless if youre still in (lol) or if you're out. A job isn't worth dying for, and that's what the Navy is, a job.

Of course I'm probably not one to give advice, the Navy gave me loving awful insomnia and anxiety that I'm still dealing with.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"You can't make a computer program that does what moboards do. It's just too complex." - something my OCS moboards instructor literally said to my class.

That was the day I learned that the Navy does not send its best and brightest officers to teach OCS.

Probably not with what Lockheed or GD would bid.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was on the McCain a decade ago and I'm pretty sure they had a Furuno for the exact reasons described. If a foreign power wants to do electromagnetic analysis on a piece of commercial equipment, they could just order one from a catalog.

Furono's are standard nav gear, at least on all the ship's I've been on.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Funny, most of the ships I've been on had Sperry radars... including the ones built in Japan.

I mean it depends on the ship/age/class but when I said Furuno I suppose I should have been more general and meant a commercial nav radar. As far as I know (and I'm not much of a Nav guy) the Furuno and Sperry s and x band radars are pretty similar no? I always associated Sperry with VMS/IBS systems and Furuno with actual Nav radars but that could be my ignorance.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Just loving lol at the sonar dome being opened at sea for a loving field day.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Just finished my first week as a contractor working on NGen on Bremerton. The pay is fine but holy poo poo the workload is putting me to sleep. There's nothing to do but study.

Welcome to government work.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

First deployment I went on the night baker made the mistake of making cinnamon rolls one night for the mid watch rotation. Turns out that the dept. heads really liked them, so they started demanding them every night. Was pretty nice since mid rats was usually inedible. Dude got tired of making the, though, so he started letting them proof with chopped up onions or something. They smelled great, but tasted like stale onions so the demand for them eventually went away.

Second deployment one of the cooks made really good chicken parms, but they got too popular so the CS's had to invent ways to gently caress them up, like making the breading soggy, or not putting breading on them, or overcooking them, or not putting cheese on them.

Man, gently caress CS's....

That first pac the supply department was also 15k over budget from setting out cereal for every meal...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
This loving toolbox has been talked into going nuke by a recruiter so thhats what he'll do. His idiot brother the shitchasing HT is I'm sure doing him no favors. Let him enlist as a nuke while ignoring our advice liike all of the others since 'we just don't know this particular snowflake'.

I went aecf instead of nuke and never regretted it. You do you though. I find most people that post here don't listen to our advice.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

Eh, I trust that y'all do know what you're talking about, and if all the paperwork to get me into nuke goes through and I end up hating life and everything in a year or so, I'll happily let the thread say "I told you so." I do know the liaison I met with at my MEPS loving loves AECF, so who knows if he's even pushing all that hard to get me into nuke. (Though everyone else in the office was more for me going nuke)

And for the chap who asked, my brother's been in about 3 years now I believe.

He's I wonder why all those guys at that recruiting station want you to go nuke...Probably because they think you're awesome!

I can't stress enough how loving dumb you'd be to go nuke.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

According to the paper I was given at MEPS, that's just the way AECF is done now.

Also, sorry if I seemed to imply that I thought I had any choice in what particular job I got. ET is just what I'd prefer.

The paper you got is old. I was the FC/GM a school lpo, the course is instructor led.

ET and FC are both great rates, the way they determine which you get changes all the time. Sometimes you get called in an office to pick, sometimes it's just assigned.

Did you decide not to be a nuke yet?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Was I the only person who liked self-paced tech core? Sure, they had a room literally filled with Jolt cola that they'd sell to us on breaks, but that's normal.

Self paced turns into move at the quickest pace possible to completion so the schoolhouse numbers look good, which leads to memorization of the material needed, and lack of actual learning or retention.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

Let's put it this way. Y'all can commence the well-pissing now.

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

loving lol. You have decades of navy experience from literally all walks of the navy, enlisted and officer, gently caress even a co telling you you're a loving idiot but you think you know better. We aren't doing thus for fun, we're doing it to help you.

I feel like this happens every time we get a nuke wannabe in here. It never ends different, but it still happens. At least your recruiter will get a pat on the back lmao.

Edit: There was a paragraph of careposting here but gently caress that.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 6, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

Should provide enough LOLs to sustain us for years!

He won't have time to post about how poo poo his life is.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

How is this different from any instructor-led classroom training in the military?

I've been at great lakes for both and in my professional and dumb navy opinion, instructor led is better with the caveat that it's entirely dependent on the instructor and both the vetting and removal process regarding instructors are basically non existent other than sexual assault.

Forgot to mention earlier that the last nuke I met transferred to the reserves as an ht and was incredibly happy.

About being an HT.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

My recruiter hasn't actually done anything to push me into nuke, that can all be blamed on my brother and most of the folks in the Navy office at MEPS.

The meps people care what billet you go into fyi.

LogicalFallacy posted:

In fact, she never really mentioned much of anything about specific jobs besides telling me that I'm pretty much qualified for anything with my ASVAB score.

While this is true, whenever you mention your asvab you talk about it like it's a big deal. The asvab isn't a rigorous test, I got a 92 on it hungover as gently caress. It's there to deny entrance to the complete idiots.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF,

This is a good idea.

LogicalFallacy posted:

or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form.

Wtf why? Subs are not a great platform lol.

LogicalFallacy posted:

(Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

Oh meps wants to fill a sub billet. Good thing they have an ignorant guy to sign anything they put in front of him!

LogicalFallacy posted:

I don't mean to seem flippant, or as if I'm dismissing all your advice out of hand, but I do have a habit of minimizing the concerns of others, and digging my heels in even in cases where I am pretty clearly wrong.

That's a really stupid habit, now would be a good time to take others advice. You're 26 and enlisting, that means you've clearly made poor life decisions, or else you wouldn't be joining, especially at 26. Don't make another one.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I do thank you guys for your patience and/or mockery, and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

You still don't get it. No one joins the program thinking they'll fail. They'll be different and better than the other guys!

LogicalFallacy posted:

Unrelatedly, I wouldn't say my brother exactly loves being an HT,

Your brother chases poo poo through pipes, and to take him at any kind of word regarding the navy is hilarious, 3 years isn't poo poo in the navy, he's probably not even an e5 at this point, maybe not even an e4.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

I really enjoyed my time in an SECF rating.

I enjoyed it so much I went STA-21

Now I'm a nuke officer.

gently caress.

Lmao.

That's unfortunate.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

it doesn't matter that your contract is AECF. You volunteered for submarines.

Excuse me I'll have you know we don't know anything and besides his recruiter didn't say anything about it and she would certainly tell him because she respects him and he certainly isn't a +1 to her quota (which doesn't exist because she told him).

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The foods better!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Hey Navy thread I thought I would ask for your assistance in joining and was wondering on what rate but oops i'm a loving idiot and actually don't want your advice and will actively do whatever the opposite of what you say so please tell me to totally not be a nuke so I can live my dream of being the only special snowflake to love nuke school because my bro who has been in for three years and is basically the mcpon told me it would be great and also gently caress myself because I am the biggest loving gently caress who's ever hosed a loving gently caress.

No for real though logical fallacy maybe go ask your mom if she could abort you right now because thats a better option than what your incredibly stupid loving rear end has signed up for.

EDIT: I expect this approach will work.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
<logicalfallacy checks the thread and determines he in fact knows more than nearly a century of Navy experience and determines he will not, in fact, be a simple statistic because he uttered the words "I will not be a statistic".>

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

radiomen did jack and poo poo on submarines

Um excuse me haven't you ever seen Crimson Tide???

Although maybe that was an ET.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

You're still a fucktard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Brings back memories from AECF tech core back in 2003. We had a guy who was really into furry fandom, got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

Ah so he was clearly an ET.