Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hey Navy thread.

I'm active duty at 11 yrs, I'm about to transfer back to a sea command (submarine type) in a few months for my last 12 months of obligated service because I'm a loving idiot at managing my career.

I meant to get out after my first, miserable, sea tour, but my COB asked me if I'd reenlist if I got shore duty orders to a sick shore tour and I said "lol, yeah sure" because I figured he had no power to do so.

So yeah, very interested in EOT chat. My buddy works at my dream job and has 100% disability from the VA because the Navy hosed both his knee surgeries up. Figure I should tell medical about my crippling knee and back pain that keeps me from sleeping much most nights huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavyMCPON/status/1357155265221709824?s=20

I want to believe the Mess will do better when it comes to this but dot dot dot

Apparently this isn't the only incident, and CNO just told every command they gotta have a Stand-Down to discuss "Extremism"

Didn't think I'd see a white supremacy stand down during my time, but welp.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's not an acceptable amount of time, every travel claim I've submitted has been paid in two weeks or less, and I had one every couple months before COVID. Who's holding that money up?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

STOLEN VALOR

Listen buddy I didn’t spend my 20’s sending emails with 20 people in the cc section to milpers and camping outside their office at 655 every day for a month for you to take all the credit

I think my organization having a YN and a civilian dedicated to processing travel claims might help :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/cdetje/status/1366897170780200963?s=19

This tracks as every detailer is a psychotic person

I'm pretty sure that's the reason I got orders to my first boat, There was me, Elvis T. Cat, the MLPO, and my buddy Elvis T. Kat, the RCLPO.

We hosed with the engineer so much, deliberately answer questions obviously meant for the other one, report to his stateroom for the wrong division's issues, until he got so fed up he called us ET1 Kat and MM1 Cat until my buddy transferred.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone want a ride on the USS Bedbug?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, I have orders to that boat in like 2 months, lol.

:rip:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My last boat just had a scabies outbreak.

But I was a senior 1st so I didn't have to hot-rack with the plebes that got it.

(E divver got it from a stripper in P‐Can, constant shuffling of hot racks for SCC spread it to like 40 E-6 and below, the COB had to call a bunch of wives and girlfriends to explain that their SO got it from a dirty rack, LOL)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I missed pilot chat, but you could just be like my buddy, go surface Nuke, make Chief after 7 years, pick up a degree while threading the needle with EAOS, then get released by NAVSEA08 from the nuclear community to go to pilot school, all while still looking like you're 15 years old.

Fucker.

Anyways, came to post this.

https://twitter.com/samthielman/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I mean, calm and reasonable is the smart thing to do, but it's fun to suggest loving with the shithead MC.

I recommend making GBS threads in his desk drawer, personally.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Navy likes to get as close to The Point as possible, then avoid it by the thinnest margin.

Did three (3) field days on a whole 6 month deployment (1 before ERR, two before ORSE) got an EXCELLENT in C/S/P on ORSE.

Did we switch to only doing the focused cleanups that were massively popular with the crew, and resulted in a demonstrably cleaner ship after deployment?

gently caress no, climb in that bilge and sleep for three hours blueshirt.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

But all of those doesn’t matter now, I have purchased the devils lettuce and have begun my first day as a civilian by throwing my camping gear in my trunk and hitting the road for a couple weeks. Trying get far west enough for skiing before I have to drive back since I haven’t been able to do that and I used to go every winter when I was in California.

:toot: :2bong:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MonkeyFit posted:

I wish I could say being ETN2(SS) was the best but my boat didn't believe in leaving anyone behind. So you were hot racking until you made 1st. In fact, it was only when the rack bill coordinator told the chiefs that 1st classes would have to hot rack that they would considering leaving anyone on shore.

Wat.

We didn't leave people on shore until Chiefs were looking at hot-racking.

I did get the fabled Good Deal once, junior 1st, my (eventual) relief as LPO (unqualified SPU 1st) had a complete mental breakdown because of the effect 5 days off the boat would have on his qualms. Woke up to my Chief shoving a leave chit in my rack, spent 5 days on shore.

Every 1st on board was hotracking though.

In fact, it was pretty rare for 2nds not to be hotracking and at least a couple junior/useless 1sts. That being said, I only had to like 3 times after taking over LPO and qualifying EWS. Nothing like watching an STS1 with twice your time in rate shove his poo poo into his pillowcase while you relax in your private rack.

E:

M_Gargantua posted:

Depends if you're on a boomer or a fast attack. Most boomers have enough rack for the crew, and the crew size is consistent patrol to patrol. Now a days with cramming in full crew plus dedicated support teams Even as an E6 I almost had to hot rack once.

the first time I rode a boomer on shore duty, and they were like "here's a 9 man bunk room for you and (my chief)" I was a little jealous NGL.

We made a fort out of laundry bags and binged GoT for 3 days.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 4, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I had to forcibly remove a throwing hatchet from my roomate who was drunkenly attempting to split a hazelnut, held between his fingers, with the pointy end.

Story checks out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sailor hung her belt on the bathroom door to use the restroom and left it there for a few hours. Got kicked off security.

For awhile I was locked with a Duty Chief who wasn't qualified guns (because my psycho captain refused to sign out the list of qualified arms locker key holders) so I'd be armed for 24 hours as EDPO, with both sets of small arms keys. When it came time to rack out I'd just kinda awkwardly jam all that poo poo in my rack. I am 99% sure that's unkosher as hell.

Unrelated rant: I'm up for my ops/nuc/sub physical, and medical has been a nonstop nightmare for me over the past month, their hours are 9-11 and 13-15, with training all day Thursday, and they spent a month loving my paperwork up, so I finally went in today, while I'm on transfer leave.

My BP has been 130-140 for like a year, apparently no one gives a poo poo.

The following convos happened today.

Doc: "I need you to be more specific about your *surgery*"
Me: "It's in my medical record, I don't remember the details"
Doc: "well, we can't just read your medical record, when was it?:
Me: "2016?"
Doc: "okay *tangent about remembering the date and hospital for his wrist surgery"

Doc: "Any heart problems?"
Me: "I have an abnormal heartbeat"
Doc: "ok, what type?"
Me: "I literally can't remember, it's benign and there's a CD with a weeks worth of data on it collected from a Halter Monitor by Yale-New Haven Hospital in my medical record, I can show it to you"
Doc: "ok, but I need to know exactly what it was.
Me: "OK, give me my medical record, I'll find it for you" *reaches for medical record*
Doc: *pulls medical record away* *stares*
Me: *stares*
Doc "ok, for the next part of the physical we'll....."

I can't take this poo poo, I've wasted like 20 hours at medical over the last couple weeks for no reason, while doing my actual job, just omit the ball fondling and teethy check you stupid fucks, the physical reveals nothing.

Also I got the 5 stitches I got in my finger at a civvie urgent care pulled today by an HMCS, but he accidentally flipped the scalpel the wrong way and ripped one out instead of cutting it

:patriot:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not the type to nod off easily, but I have stood between the condensers so I would hit my head when I passed out on my feet when I was standing port and stbd ERLL, with 9 hours on, 12 hours of ORSE workup drills, and the last 6 hours back on watch, with a continually worsening hernia.

I also used to make sure that guys who spent their offgoing and oncoming doing maintenance snuck off to the rack before the coner chiefs came back aft for afterwatch when I stood EWS.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

China now deploying underwater antitank hedgehogs as nextgen anti-submarine warfare.

11 injured reported so far so not too terrible.

Injuries are all minor, felt like being in a loving car crash though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the well wishes, everything turned out as well as possible.

M_Gargantua posted:

Also enjoy your shipyard tour I guess? That will likely be worse than the crash...

I've got 9 months and I'm outta here, I wasn't going to stay in anyways, but this sure didn't change my mind.

ded posted:

how is the berthing area on a seawolf? and is there actual space for any sort of work out equipment?

we had to strap down a rowing machine and bike in the passageways in engineering on the LA.

Surprisingly lovely, there's really only 2, so they're giant labyrinths, workout equipment is the typical fast attack bullshit setup you described (VAs are the same). These boats are weird, really fat, but they make up for it by being short, all the racks are like 1.5" shorter than an LA or a VA for example, I swear these boats were designed by people that wanted sailors to suffer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

piL posted:

I will be. There is no yards period that isn't lovely, but I understand that's an awful commute.

If you're going to a carrier prepare to get completely hosed when your ship goes to PSNS one way or another.

If you're an outdoorsy type Everett is close to both the Arlington and Granite Falls terminus of Mountain Loop Highway, which is chock full of insanely beautiful hikes and great camping spots, all of which are free with a military "America the Beautiful" pass. It's one of my favorite places on earth, but I could be biased growing up near there.

Everett itself is kinda a dump, but you can probably afford rent there still, unlike most of the rest of Western WA.

Complete side note, we're essentially confined to the boat now, with both crews from 726 taking our little hangout spot with wifi where we can drink and stuff, along with our berthing barge. They've even taken over our little tent thing topside where we could smoke and dick around on our phones. I'm certainly not surprised, with how long I've been in, but the rage I feel at the Navy for yet again failing to take care of my loving sailors is deep and seething.

On that note, something I forgot to mention when I was complaining about 21 class berthing is something called "mega mat" which is a TR mod that's a 10x2 configuration of mattresses laid directly next to each other, no dividers of any sort, so it's essentially one giant mattress with 20 people sleeping on it, rolling onto each other and poo poo, and of course completely COVID unsafe. So with the loss of berthing we have sailors forced to sleep there every night, completely unseperated from their shipmates.

I don't have to deal with it personally, because I'm an ancient 1st class, but I don't loving like watching my sailors deal with it.

I'm pretty mentally unwell at the moment, and I can't wait to be home.
Sorry for using this forum to complain about it .

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

piL posted:

Fortunately avoiding carrier life, but never been an outdoorsman. I guess I can try and start. Seattle will be fun at least, and I've never been to Canada--I bet Vancouver 's fun, thanks for the tips all.

What in the gently caress?

Seattle's great, Vancouver has night life on par with any city I've ever been in, including NYC and Boston, microbreweries and such are everywhere.

Even if the outdoors aren't your thing, at least get to the ice caves aka "big four" if you're looking at a NFS map, the hike's only 1 mile and is wheelchair accessible, also take a car trip of the Olympic Peninsula if you're lucky enough to be here for a summer, there's everything from WWII gun emplacements to one of the very few rain forests in the contiguous US to explore.

Here's a visual depiction of "Mega Mat" lines are matress boundaries only, not physical barriers of any sort, curtains hang around the outside.

E: When I have bandwidth I'll upload some pictures of the boat's short-lived mascot, the cat named "Arsenal" or "Crash Meowntain" depending on who you ask. He hung out with us on the quarterdeck, meowing at everyone that went aboard or came ashore until he passed away about a week after we arrived, he was a very sickly kitty.

E2:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 23, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo being on the other side of wild conspiracy theories is entertaining.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pretty cool to find out the results of the investigation/what we hit through the news and not my CoC.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's definitely a healthy command environment.

Oh yeah.

Crab Dad posted:

Uh what did you hit?

Mountain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/01/politics/navy-submarine-underwater-mountain/index.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

7th fleet just relieved the entire Triad, Nav, and Anav, citing a "degradation in standards that led to the collision."

This is going to be fun.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's some material issues and watchstanding poo poo that played a role, I've been gag ordered pretty hard about specific events.

Everyone above them is just as complicit in that though, there's some definite scapegoating going on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We got briefed on it by the new CO today.

These excerpts from the CNN article sum it up pretty well.

CNN posted:

Vice Adm. Karl Thomas, commander of US 7th Fleet, determined that "sound judgment, prudent decision-making and adherence to required procedures in navigation planning, watch team execution and risk management could have prevented the incident," according to a statement about the decision.

CNN posted:

In the busy South China Sea... less than 50% of the sea bottom has been mapped, David Sandwell, a professor of geophysics at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in California, told CNN.

Additionally, the old CO had this bizarre obsession with his shipping container theory, which is idiotic, a shipping container can't do to an 8,000 ton warship what happened. He went so far as to rant about it to me when I went to turn over with him after I relieved the section that was on watch for The Incident.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

With smaller shipping containers inside the shipping containers.

Who's famous for making a series of things that nest together like that?

:tinfoil:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh no, without all the idiot chuds bitching about the vaccine at the smoke pit how will we maintain submarines?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nimitz CSG did just under 11 months this year.

My personal record for not seeing foot on dry land is 119 days, on the last boat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You should write to the Guinness World Records people since they claim the longest submarine patrol ever was 111 days.

Longest submerged patrol in World War 2 was 68 days by a U-boat with a schnorchel apparatus. That boat must've smelled good.

Maybe if you surface it doesn't count? I know a few Boomers have broken 120 days too.

ded posted:

119 days out in a fast attack? holy gently caress. i hate to imagine what you were eating for the last month of that.

Amazingly it wasn't close to the worst foodwise on that boat, we had legitimately 180 days food onboard, and started rationing meat day 1, we learned our lesson from previous missions/deployments where we ran out and were eating rice for every meal.

The absolute worst was when our freezers broke a week into a 65 day mission, and we had powdered egg for protein every meal. We also kept all the rotted meat on station, and started popping bags a few days before we pulled in so we could shoot it, the boat smelled awesome

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Yes this was being in the Navy on a ship 2020. Stupidest poo poo I ever saw. The civilians could come and go as they pleased but the Navy restricted us to the ship.
Also the flagship's ship and staff and crew could go home everyday and they were berthed right next to us. poo poo made zero sense.

Still going on, we're restricted to base, all the people from Subpac and Devron get put up at the Dusit Thani, with strict orders to go straight to the boat from there I'm sure.

They caught my (former) XO off base having dinner with his girlfriend on multiple occasions, OFC.

ded posted:

Hope the cooks all got nams for properly planning that. Not a joke.

Our longest while on pac was only 53 days out. Even with just that we had 2 layers of cans on the berthing deck, stuff stored in engineering, and the fan room.

edit : heck i think we had stuff in the sonar sphere too.

They did, the NAMs rolled thick and hard that deployment, about 50% of E5s, and everyone above.

Fun fact about the Seawolf class that I didn't know until we rammed a mountain, they don't have an accessible bit of pressure hull in the sphere, although the VA class went back to the having one.

I do not know the reason for this.

Fun anecdote from pull-in day: little shreds of sphere wiring had gotten blasted all over the deck during the surface transit, and lodged in the fat line fairing. I arrived topside to help with shore power, and found Ediv carefully verifying dead, and taping over all the little wire chunks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hey, check out this cool racist poo poo our command's doing; we just got a new sailor, who's black, with dyed blonde hair, they're making him dye it back to dark brown/black.

Very cool normal organization.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

It is so convenient that all these massage parlors stay open til 2am, what a business model.

In other news, Mrs. Bad Guy immediately pissed herself laughing when I finally got on the hotel wifi and was able to video chat. No accounting for taste, I guess.

I think I am where you am right now, based on the tour buses and late night massage parlors.

Your mustache is amazing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Surface ships get off-base liberty but we don't, life is cruel. At least Gab Gab is nice, and the sunsets are top notch.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah Bremerton is where I would expect it to go. That's a weird place for an impact. Is there any info about what caused the damage? I woudl think that if they ran into the keel of a cargo ship or something there would have been a big ol news article. Can't think what else it would be other than maybe some kind of very robust underwater cabling or something?

We're headed to PSNS for sure.

San Diego weather sure was nice, it's chilly here in the PNW.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 20, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We finally loving made it home.

It's been a long 208 days.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Merry Christmas from the inside of the ER LET.

New Captain's an rear end in a top hat but at least he got us a full stand down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We're still at pier D, man I am not looking forward to moving to the CIA with 2 carriers, can't wait for my daily 3 mile 90 minute commute each day :barf:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

When I say sleep I mean during my own time. I sure as poo poo wasn't sleeping during any kind of "working hours" or anything like that - generally our division was on 3 section watch to approve and hang tags for all the work the shipyard was doing. gently caress drydock that place sucks

I've avoided shipyard for 12 straight years, minus 17 days in Portsmouth Naval at the very end of my first sea tour, I selected the 22 as my first choice because she was a deployer for a reason.

Deploying sucks, but there's a certain letting go that happens, you have to be there, someone needs to stand that watch, and that's just not something I feel at 2000 when I've barely started testing because the EDO doesn't want to brief the Captain, or shipyard decided they want to commerce work after 6 months of putting it off and it's vital that tags get hung NOW

I'm living that 7 section EDPO life now, but I'll never forget being stuck on the boat until 2000 every day while also standing 3 section duty. That poo poo is inhumane.

I've got 4 months until I get my DD214, so I'm trying not to stress it too bad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Are you saying that spending 9 months a year out to sea or working 100 hours a week, while cutting maintenance availabilities so that boats leave the yards more broken than they went in is bad for readiness?

Because yeah, it is.

I just spent about a month spending eight of my offgoing hours every day running "super code reds" and other drills so I could be ready to "go to war with China in the next five years" on a submarine with its front smashed off that can't dive, and now I'm doing 10 hours of work controls for shipyard to do five minutes of work on standdown every day, so I might be a little biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The new skipper's great.

A quote: (while briefing us on the cause of the collision) "Bad things happen to good boats... that's not what happened here"

In a post-training meeting with supervisors: "what I'm saying is... cleaning will continue... until moral improves"

We ran code reds every watch (except we stopped running them on the midwatch, and the first half of days, half way through because the 1MCs were waking the skipper up), and drillsets twice a week.

The interim XO's the one that won't stop ranting about how war with China's basically imminent .

They're both better than the interim ENG who is a golem that refuses to look at a book, and operates solely based on tribal knowledge.

You don't get the most pleasant people in charge of you after running engineering department pushes you into a mountain, is what I guess I'm tryna say.