Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

So Bangor was closed Monday and Tuesday and some big muckity muck (retired captain who never got the memo he retired) tried to force my team to go to a pier to gently caress around with some printers. I said no because my team isn’t essential for weather issues.

Holy poo poo I’m glad I didn’t sent them there was between 50-75 fallen trees on the mile long road from a snow/freeze.

I got the pleasure of being CDO down on delta when they decided to pull a boat into marginal in a giant loving snow storm a couple years ago, just getting screamed at by the boat and the BOSC because they didn't plow the road, so they couldn't get a bus down the giant hill.

30 section duty was pretty cool, but man that watch loving sucked, every duty day had a solid hour of getting bitched at by some O4-O6 about some dumb poo poo I couldn't control.

I got to go to a critique with the Group 9 admiral because I didn't warn all the boats there was going to be a gale, printing out the alert from the NWS that was timestamped for 1/2 an hour after the gale started didn't help.

Also, I had to print out every e-mail that was relevant to SubRon, what the gently caress is the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's why the printer sounded like an F-18 when it printed!

In other news, when we were in Japan, we got sortied to Guam because some PSNS rear end in a top hat got COVID on the flight to Yokosuka. Around then a junior electrician got so drunk he passed out at a bar, Shore Patrol found him and carted him to hospital where he got his stomach pumped. The same night I was recalled to the boat, he was on class C Liberty Risk, and as one of two (2!) E6's in Eng Dept (only one not on duty), I was kinda obligated to escory him to a sad, sad lovely, sober dinner at the on-base bar.

Either way, he had drank an entire bottle of Hennessy prior to going out to the infamous Yokosuka "haunch" after standing the midwatch.

Today I found this shirt at a gas station, and bought it for him on impulse as belated Christmas present.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My Chief has COVID.

So does Doc.

They both came to work and decided it'd be smart to interact with people.

Imma gonna enjoy my 2 weeks leave boys.

Unless they call my rear end in to keep EDPOs from going Port and RePort.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've heard rumors of boats threatening people with NJP for malingering if they get themselves tested....

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This is kinda blowing my mind, how is it more economical to tow this thing around to Texas via the straights of Magellan than to find somewhere on the West Coast to break her up?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

There's about.... eh 8? ships in Bremerton right now if you dont include 20 or so submarines waiting to be cut up. Perhaps 4 various landing ship/transports, a pair of frigates, the LCS Independence (just got here last year). With the KittyHawk gone it's gonna look pretty empty.

I just saw LCS 2 with the carriers out of the way, in commission for 11 years, what a waste of loving money.

PSNS could definitely break up a carrier, they're probably just too busy, and they have all those submarine hulks sitting around because they're only allowed to break up so many ships/year due to environmental stuff.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just got permission to blow off the Chief's exam, that's a first for me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Wow. You either turbo pissed someone off or have someone decent in charge.

I've got some decent people in charge now. I'd go take it just to take a long lunch and gently caress off if I wasn't surprise acting Chief for a loving cooldown.

The E7 exam has improved 1000% since they've split it up by rate post-Covid, pre-Covid it was a 3 hour poo poo show just to get seated.

I'll always remember my last boat making a 20 year 1sr take the exam, who was retiring in 3 months, he tried deliberately to answer every question wrong, and scored in like the 20th percentile, lol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Boat's finally out of the water, it's not as badly hosed as I thought it'd be, it's still hosed though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just got reminded of the times I was in Guam when we had chocolate milk in the milk cooler, so the cooks prepared the biscuits 'n gravy and Alfredo sauce with water instead of milk. While I was on duty and had no other food options.

78 days until terminal.

E: I've never been served a meal of A: egg noodles and cauliflower and nothing else, or B: a single small-size scoop of dehy eggs for 50ish meals in a row, so this boat still wins over my old one in the food department.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 13, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In a bizarre twist of luck, if my submarine had a front right now I'm like 99% sure I'd be surge deployed to 6th fleet right now, instead I'm drinking wine and applying for civilian jobs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

:lol: I've got 96 days to my EAOS, I ain't volunteering for poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Smoke weed and grow a beard.

Seriously though, job prospects are just too good, I'm interviewing for a couple exciting aerospace QA positions right now, hopefully I can pick up a BS online while I work.

The only reason I didn't get out four years ago was the Navy moved me home for a sweet shore duty, I've got 6 months of savings, or closer to a year with unemployment, so I'm not very stressed about the transition, my boat being disabled is also helping since I can't get underway and I've been taking time off to interview for jobs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Met up with another navygoon and how come you guys are always so nice and normal?

We still need to go out crabbing some time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I like beer, had a nice Guinness while I enjoyed this sunset today.

Got a job offer for a job I'm real excited about today, and the same company's considering me for a significantly better position as well.

Transition out of the Navy's looking pretty smooth at this point (60 days left).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Oh hai guys, long time no post. Hope none of you are still dumb enough to be in (says the lifer). Can confirm being a civilian is still great, 4 years into it.

:mad:

(52 days, job offer in hand)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's a collateral, and there's absolutely no gardening while on watch. The quality of vegetables grown will make the difference between being the #1 EP and a P, because of "visibility," working 48 hours straight fixing the generator that makes the electricity for the grow lights doesn't count.

You can also enjoy the vegetables, but only if you're one of the first 5 in line for chow, or you get there late enough to get the literal scrapings from the wardroom.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ugh I am getting Navy Flashbacks now. Next month will be a decade out. Jesus, time flies, but nothing heats me up quicker than remember the loving Navy.

Just be an officer and get your laundry done for you by your enlisted servants.

I'm finishing out my last 5 weeks by being on FEP for the first time in my career because I'm passing, but borderline, in the rope&choke, and I played "what loving department do I need" in the Naval Hospital all afternoon for my separation physical so I'm a little salty in general.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just got the best "tell me you were a Nuke without telling me you were a Nuke" service-related injury on my pre-seperation physical.

Arthritis in my writing hand.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

So this happened recently, I was on duty and heard the explosion.

Rumor has it PSNS made a deliberate decision to perform compartment testing without the LET locking ring engaged, which is loving insane.

On another boat a few months ago they decided they absolutely had to test the diesel with the snorkel mast tagged out and sent a bunch of sailors to the hospital because they filed the boat with diesel exhaust. One of their corrective actions from that incident was "have sailors don EABs" like how about you don't deliberately cause a toxic atmosphere onboard the ship you loving fucks?

If this is the poo poo PSNS is doing right now I'm double glad I'm outta here soon, before they figure out a way to seriously injure me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Also my brain informs me a few minutes later thats its called a NFTI, "Nifty", naval firefighting thermal imager. Because of course I can't have forgotten that.

If you have the room, you might elect to step to the side of the nozzleman, rather than have him or her shut the bale, since the water fog is thermally opaque.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A lot depends on how they've been maintained, the brief time I was in PNS we had a recently overhauled one that was decent. One of my buddies was on the same one pre-overhaul, and all the doors had rusted out 6-12" at the bottom, so frigid Maine air blew in in the winter and temps couldn't be maintained above 40 degrees inside.

E: much like the Groton Barracks where my sailors would frequently move to the boat because the heat and hot water would go out.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 24, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, it's 2 or three layer racks in large 20+ man berthings.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got to sleep in a stateroom on the barge in Guam for awhile which was pretty cool.

Because the Navy bought hotel rooms for all our officers (hotel rooms we were not allowed to rent), because you can't put college graduates on the loving barge because that's inhumane to civilized college graduates. And... I've posted about this enough. Apparently I have "triggers" now.

Thanks Navy.

E: that includes all the ones we fired for slamming us into a mountain. Watching all their orders come in for cush shore duties they can ride their careers out on has been a loving treat. I'm stuck here dealing with the consequences of their years of gently caress ups and gross mismanagement of the ship and Captain Aljilani's "admirals masted" to aquesitions so he can help buy the next generation of worthless bullshit waste of money LCS II or what loving ever, until he retires with a $100k/yr pension and a cushy "contractor" role at a defense contractor that pays twice that and just be forced to live in a slightly smaller mansion in his retirement years as his punishment for nearly literally loving killing me and my shipmates through blind loving incompetence and crippling the Navy's most capable ASW and ISR platform and costing the government literally hundreds of millions of loving dollars.

10 sailors.have killed themselves in the last 10 months on the GWB, this level of mismanagement is criminal, how the gently caress are these MOTHERFUCKING WORTHLESS PIECES OF poo poo THAT RUN THIS SERVICE NOT FACING ANY loving CONSEQUENCES FOR THEIR loving ACTIONS.

E2, sorry my math was off, his pension will only be $93,132/yr, assuming he can never advance based off his mast.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 24, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Absolutely, service related PTSD is a covered disability. If you have trouble with the VA on your disability application, there are consulting companies that will help.

VA evaluations are independent from your in-service ones, and if you've already been evaluated for disability, you can petition to have your rating changed at any time.

E: my mental health issues are pretty well documented, but I have a few friends who have pretty bad broke brains just from the stress of being a submariner, and they got coverage after the fact with no in-situ documentation.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'll channel all my COBs and come up with a solution for this.....

They're saying the solution is to paint topside while it's 38 degrees and raining two days before we go underway, ideal conditions for paint to cure properly.

P.S. you can't go home until it's done, so make sure to pay attention to detailed surface prep!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

So you're telling me some people don't deal well with getting paid dogshit wages to live in cramped quarters that make certain prisons look luxurious, and eat poo poo food for 6 months at a time, then work 80 hours a week in port, all while being verbally abused (and probably physically in '77) and treated like a sub human?

For the reward of providing a nebulous deterrent against "foes" that your country is at peace with?

Maybe we should have a mechanism for sailors who can't handle that sort of pressure to simply be allowed to leave the service? Nonesense, the kids today are merely soft!

E: I go on terminal Monday :toot:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

"Seiberlich said he sees no way to reduce the current ship deployment of about six months since there is no desire to reduce the number of warships on duty in the Mediterranean and Pacific."

Yeah, that's fuckin' bullshit.

I like the part I bolded.

Like, "we could make optempo reasonable but we don't wanna."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This is the best day ever, I'm finally loving done.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got stoned AF on like $4 of legal weed last night and my GF cooked me a nice filet.

10/10 would leave the Navy again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LCSs are just breaking themselves up now apparently.

This is the class the Navy wants to keep more of too.

It's probably due to sailors not cleaning and painting enough.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They gave an Officer credit for the one great thing I've ever done in the Navy, typical. (Identify that there was not a loss of PLO, and 4MC'd maneuvering before we lost propulsion)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Hale Koa is awesome in general, their luauas are great, and the Barefoot Bar has by far the best prices on drinks anywhere on Waikiki iirc.

I really like Hawaii, so of course Pearl's the only US submarine base the Navy never sent me to.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I can confirm that running all available air conditioning plants in 80⁰F seawater, while they just constantly surge and try to turn themselves off is not a great time.

At least I never had to be in a CVNs engine room while they steam through water like that, no AC, hot as hell water, and a steam plant? No thanks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Checking in after a month being out of the Navy.

It's still awesome.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Have you smoked all the weed yet?

It's too hard, I just finished off a gram of flower that's been getting me stoned every other dayish for two weeks, this modern poo poo's too potent.

I'd reenlist if I was allowed to take a giant tub of edibles underway with me, and grow a beard.

(No I wouldn't, I loving love my new job)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've outlined a lot of my complaints about the Navy in this thread, and I joined in '08, during the peak of the financial crisis, because I was on the verge of being homeless. I managed to excel in whatever my role as an MMN was for the rear of my career, I collected 7 NAMs and SOY over that period.

But I'd like to give a list of things I'd rather do than reenlist as an E6 in the Navy, in order of preference.

-Sell everything and live in my truck, homeless.
-prostitute myself.
- live on the streets with no means of support.
-Starve (which I've done in the Navy during a deployment where all our meat rotted and we were restricted to 500 calories a day)
-put a 9mm hollowpoint in my loving brain

I know that sounds hyperbolic as hell, but suicide is preferable to life in the Navy by a huge degree for me, personally. Basically the way I see it is the difference between a life of pain and slavery followed by death, and just death.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, I know for a fact most of the Navy never experiences the trauma I have, but for me personally, I'd sever my windpipe with a steak knife before I put that loving uniform on ever again.

gently caress. The. Navy.

Permanent unconsciousness is preferable to reenlisting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got out as an MMN1 yeah.

I was kinda drunk and in the feels last night. I will say, being a nuke set me up for life, I have so many great friends in the community, and I have maybe the best job I could possibly imagine, all thanks to being a nuke. Was it worth it? Impossible to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

One of my former Sailor's is about to EAOS without DD-214, is this something you guys are seeing? They're being told everything is backed up and it won't impact getting benefits but that sounds like a lie.

You download it from one of the Navy websites after your EAOS instead of getting it in person from PSD now.