Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The U.S. Navy has tossed out a man suspected of recruiting for the Atomwaffen Division, a neo-Nazi terrorist network that has been connected to numerous murders and planned terrorist attacks.

I know a couple of guys at 41, I can't wait to hear about how much of a shitstorm this was. At least we were able to kick his rear end out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/USNavyEurope/status/1257300933546917890?s=20

Powerful "graphic design is my passion" from the MCs who made this

One of the senior O-6s at my command wears an Imperial patch and I have to admit I respect that he acknowledges we're the Empire and has embraced the power of the dark side.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

piL posted:

:eng101:
Hey Sailor, going my way to the library?

I'm participating in discussion through a military society and utilizing new technologies for learning (FITREP bullet! :eng101: Posting history: Significant Problems :eng99:)

Scene: near future, fitrep debrief for an O-2

***UNLIMITED POSTING POTENTIAL***

Effortful Poster. Dedicated to spreading platitudes online. Frequently blogs about leadership experience with a readership in the dozens of unique hits per month. Followed by over 100 accounts on Twitter. Successfully engaged 2 flag officers in threads without being dunked on this reporting period. Led local JOPA GroupMe in number of messages posted.

...really though, this seems like it might actually be okay. I wonder what guidance they'll put out on whether someone's AMU masters work in criminology or "military history" is as valuable as a real university.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks for the link. Holy poo poo. The idea that you can physical distance on a carrier is insane, it's an enclose space with mediocre ventilation at best. As if the 6ft distancing works anywhere but very large spaces or outside. If anything they should get kudos for using the flash hoods as masks, that probably helped more than most of the other efforts.

There's a part in there where the XO says they had a "10,000 foot screwdriver from [Blue Ridge]" and I'm sure seeing it. It must have been a nightmare having 3 or 4 bosses at various echelons throwing grenades of "guidance" from across the ocean. I think I marked TR getting direction from C7F, CCSG-9, SecNav, N3/5 (3 star) in there...small wonder trust eroded between them and up-echelons.

Obligatory "this is just like, my opinion man"

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I combed over the FRAGO and it feels like it's back to April rules for off base stuff but everyone still works and the train keeps moving forward (since the off-limits is a "shall" and telework/postponing major events is "encouraged.")

I can't wait to see how this goes over on joint bases where one side's people are able to do whatever and the Navy people are sitting around fuming.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's a guy down in the comments who claims the 'near crash' is bullshit and that he was the plane captain for the Tomcat in question, and posted an imgur album of his "Final Countdown" det: https://imgur.com/a/STGdsg2

The internet was mostly a mistake, but occasionally it enables awesome moments like this. That's such a cool album.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

do chiefs fleet wide just attempt to cut officers out of everything so they can be broke brained idiots that abuse personnel due to their own ineptitude?

Super late to this but I've been amazed at how many officers are more than happy to let this happen to them. Navy officer selection screens for time management and basic initiative, not for spines.

Nick Soapdish posted:

At my last active command almost a decade ago, my N2A did this and he was a frat bro from the Academy.

I hate this phenomenon so much. It gets everywhere. On every post-deployment oubrief, then it gets suffused into the senior N2's expectations because whoever was bragging made it seem like their normal output. After my cruise I did a retrospective on our analysis shop's assessments: they (we for a while) were wrong 83% of the time, meaning we were doing worse than if we'd just flipped a coin every day. Not that it stopped our leadership from claiming victory and winning awards.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Coming up on six years. The Navy has yet to gently caress me over, but it keeps up with the papercuts. Slice by slice. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship: "just think of the good times," I tell myself at 3AM being force fed Fox News on watch. "I'm sure things will be just like the good old times soon!"

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

You're not allowed to watch TV on watch

I'm ashore. And believe me, I don't have a choice in the matter.

Laranzu posted:

Be careful. Next thing you know you're at 10 or more years and considering getting kicked in the balls for 10 more years just for the medical /retirement.

I'm sunk costing hard even right now. I tried looking at the normal people insurance marketplace and immediately felt grateful for the warm, if constricting and oppressive embrace of TriCare.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Ive reschedded the rest of my drills and will never set foot in a NOSC again, Inshallah.

Some days I think about dropping into the reserves, then I read the horror stories. If all I want out of the reserves is the healthcare, how much of a pain in the rear end is it?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

It all sucks but I can't answer any healthcare related questions since Im a Federal Employee and I'm not allowed to have Reserve Tricare, a thing I was not aware of before signing a 6 year contract :)

I appreciate all the reserves bad feelings. I definitely did not know this and it might strongly effect my decision :v:

I'm an IW officer so we don't have things like quals or hard skills. W/R/T reservists, my particular designator cares so little they will put accession level commissions into instructor billets.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not gonna lie, this story was in the back of my mind the entire time I was on the bike. My brain has nothing better to do than constantly extrapolate calorie burn rates every 15 seconds so I know exactly how far ahead or behind pace I am so this was just extra incentive to keep track.

I'm at a place that is big and centralized enough to have bikes with little PRT calculators on them. When I finished, it flashed "SATISFACTORY" at me and I almost poo poo myself. Checked the actual app real quick and I had Good High. Dunno what was up there.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

The big yikes was when he decided to open up our DWE last month with a speech about how the beauty of the military is how we leave our politics at the door, then proceeded to authorize “masks down” for the remainder of our morning briefs. That got a lot of stares from the staff.

Yep, seen this. I've worked around a lot of senior people this tour (not a humblebrag, a cry for help) and it's astounded me how far pegged to the right a lot of very senior leaders are. They don't view it as such, they genuinely believe they're leaving their partisanship at the door. It goes without saying Fox News is the default option in most spaces.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Cerekk posted:

File an IG complaint.

I haven't seen a TV in a public space set to anything other than ESPN since like 2010.

As much as it pisses me off, I also don't think an IG complaint is warranted. I could argue it's unethical because of the inherent endorsement of partisan positions, but that's not a slam dunk and it isn't illegal or immoral.

Advance to Place sounds like a great way for mediocre followers to become first line supervisors. On the other hand, the CA2P actually sounds like a good personnel management tool.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Former minesweeper CO becomes meth dealer

quote:

[The] Judge['s] sentence in part after finding him responsible for distributing nearly 10 pounds of “ice”...“He also had loaded assault rifles positioned just inside the front door,” according to the release. “The investigation revealed significant additional quantities of meth, other narcotics and firearms at storage units and vehicles Esswein controlled. They found a total of 36 weapons, including stolen firearms and firearms with missing serial numbers.”

Lil' reminder that your career in the Navy is just one part of the journey :patriot: accelerate your life!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

People got seriously hurt. Throw the book at them. Hope it was worth whatever clout they got I guess?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm looking for my next orders as well, I've been told I have a spot at the new MQ-25 squadron if I want it. And maybe even if I don't, our commodore seemed really excited to get me in there. Seems like a cool gig, albeit based in Pax River. :awesomelon:

Would you actually have aircraft?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I've been avoiding this thread - I put in my separation papers months ago. I figured I'd come back when I was safely on terminal leave. Now?

I'm ready to make a really bad decision. All I have to do is hit the "cancel" button on NSIPS. When times are good, they're great. I can make this work. It's scary out there, I know I can always go home to Navy - the bad times, they weren't so bad, I think.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Don't be a loving loser, get a cool job, go to college with your GI bill, burn your loving uniforms.

I'm not going to say you're wrong. I've got job interviews this week, I got into all my top master's programs. Maybe I just needed to prove to myself I could make it outside.

Also, as a noble, my quality of life is definitely better than 90-95% of sailors out there. So this isn't as bad of an idea as reenlisting.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Ban this troll plz

I probably shoulda led with that, yeah.

SerthVarnee posted:

Consider this video:

https://twitter.com/KingNeptune767/status/1638875108746973184

Now consider the fact that you are telling us that you are thinking about just staying on the boat instead of having to deal with living with loved ones.

Who needs familial bonds when you have the unbreakable bond of Man and the Sea? :v:

Well, it's done: my friends pleaded with me. My co-workers looked at me askance, glaring with dead eyes. The thread warned me. I pulled my resignation back, the die is cast.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

He's harming himself for our future entertainment I guess. Kinda like a slow motion Jackass skit, where everybody in the audience says to stop.

After 15 years of watching people Post Through It on these forums, I felt the need to contribute. I'll keep you updated.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Red Crown posted:

After 15 years of watching people Post Through It on these forums, I felt the need to contribute. I'll keep you updated.

Update 1: I was lied to.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Not to sound like an rear end, but everyone in this thread knew that would be the case, including you.

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be months, even up to a year, before any duplicity or chicanery became obvious.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Please tell us details of how the Navy screwed you, it provides us salty vets much entertainment.

Keeping it vague because my world is pretty small: last year, big PERS told me "you can't do [thing], we're seriously undermanned." Just now, it's "you can't do [thing], we're too overmanned."

Oh well. I don't know if it hurts or helps that it wasn't personal.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1641423794941341696?t=KGW7o_nVKeGfQMmvRjLJuw&s=19

No, not a great idea Big Navy. Hire people like me, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or other actual therapists not more Chaps

I'm amazed how much of what E-6+ are supposed to do should be done by an LCSW. Workplace disputes? Degraded performance at work due to personal life issues? Behavioral problems? We're ham fisted brutes compared to actual professionals. The service sponsors TA and degree plans for all kinds of international relations/operations/sTrAteGy degrees, MSW should totally be on the table.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

It's called being an officer. Particularly a non-line officer.

Yeah. Life's a choose-your-own-adventure as a non-line. Lots of people milk it for all its worth and manage 5, 10, and even more years doing contractor/GS equivalent jobs. You can do odd "cool" jobs in niche worlds like SOF, high-tech crap, and whatnot. You only have to actually put in the work if you care about retiring as an O-5 instead of an O-4.

Laranzu posted:

I'm not an IS. I'd very much lose it if I got chewed out because some N2/J2 got peeved the arrows on my PowerPoint went right to left instead of left to right or some dumb poo poo

As long as you can grin and bear it through circus acts like this, the bar in the non-line world is really, really low.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

reject modernity, embrace tradition

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

On a small boy climate survey, they're senior officers regardless of the fact that they're just LTs. Otherwise that category would literally just be the XO and CO.

I'm getting that the key to high DH morale is low DIVO morale

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

The longer I'm in, the more I'm convinced that being an officer has been the single most important factor in my getting effective healthcare.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The P-8 is an ASW and ASuW platform as well as pulling broad-scope ocean SAR and can even pick up where JSTARs is leaving off with a ground-scanning AESA radar they can bolt on near the nose.

The magic of JSTARS wasn't the sensor, it was the robust crew stations that allowed it to command and control based on the sensor. P-8 isn't bad on its own, but it isn't extraordinary either.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I guess we're getting Fat Leonard back from Venezuela? We're either really, really sour about him literally walking away, or he's got some good stuff to spill the beans on.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

I sent his USS Flagg tweet to a Hawkeye buddy, and he responded "Oh yeah, Chowdah's a great guy, I worked for him back in blah blah"

Small world but Chowdah was Big XO on my first cruise and Farva and I crossed paths. Both are solid Posters, but Chowdah's unbothered Tweets about dogs and cookies while the air wing is actively bombing stuff puts him on a whole other level.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Also fml that would have counted towards my chief test no?

The fact that you've made it this far without knowing this is awesome. A solid 80% of IW chiefs I've known have had no skills beyond knowing "how to make chief." Yet you remain focused, unbothered, in your lane, moisturized, flourishing. I look up to you.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Also how the gently caress does he not know the chain of command?

What he probably really means is that he's willing to throw a fit to the CMC to force the issue and count on XO trusting CMC more than their JOs. Works well against weak officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

What had happened was that the other crank walked into the CPO mess while they were "transitioning" a selectee from another ship by hanging him from the overhead with a noose. I guess the thought process was to protect the other crank from reprisal while everything got swept under the rug. Kid really hosed up though, he should have requested the wardroom because the other crank and I had a stateroom we could hang out in between meals so that we were out of the way but still close by if anyone needed anything.

Anywell, that was back in 1991. Thanks for listening to my Sea Story, presented by AARP

Alright that's the wildest Navy hazing story I've heard. I mean. What.