Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I reenlisted to take me to twenty and go on my last deployment in the Navy pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For skipping the PRT next cycle does that happen automatically if you made the right score or do you have to get cleared by someone first? Wanted to make sure I was reading BUPERS right.

Your CFL is supposed to enter in the system. Latest Navadmin covers it.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
If you're tired on an air capable small boy just sign up for the flight deck crew. You will be able to take an hour nap every three hours when the bird comes in for fuel. And get flight deck pay. For sleeping during flight quarters.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Lowly aviation maintainer checking in.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

CMD598 posted:

:hfive:

What kind though?

Electrician.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I’ll probably get run out of the thread for this but can I be the inaugural member of the Marine Det onboard?

Can we afford to feed you? What berthing will you be in?

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It's uncanny how close this is to an actual conversation that took place yesterday when talking about how we all of a sudden have a poo poo ton of sailors on FEP because they did the bare minimum on their PRTs.

It's the opposite where I am. When they came out with the change to where if you get an excellent overall, a ton of people actually tried.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I love seeing the big ol rooster tail on the flight deck of a DDG. Not so much a fan when my aircraft is out there and gets hit by waves coming from the sides.

When I was on my first deployment, aboard the Churchill under the exemplary Holly Graf, we were folding the tail of our bird which was in the starboard track, and a big huge wave came. It swept me off of my feet and I ended up pretty close to the aft edge of the port side of the flight deck.

Then on the translant back, we were doing a post phase FCF and a rogue wave hit us again. #2 engine ingested a bunch of water and had to get changed out.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone been down to AUTEC lately? It's been 5+ years for me and I am wondering if the barracks are still poo poo.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure Tyson makes a very accurate version of Hamsters.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

My last deployment was with Admirals staff. The food was legit restaurant quality cooking with the same stuff as everyone else cooks with. Pretty much the only good part of a staff tour.

It's pretty crazy when you are on an UNREP working party and see the majority of the items coming from the same distributors that supply the restaurant industry.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I think I might be going crazy. I seem to remember that right after they changed they HYT gates for E4-6 right after that they changed the eligibility for retirement to 22 years. I can't find the NAVADMIN that states that and it looks like I can stay in until I hit 22 but am eligible to retire at 20. I would much rather retire on shore duty than have to juggle sea duty with getting ready to get out.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Relief.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Othin posted:

Anyone ever fly between Bahrain and Naples? I don't imagine that's a super common transition but my team can't be the first. I'm putting together a trip this spring out to 5th and 6th fleets and the transition from Bahrain to Naples is looking super fun. Expedia and Kayak default you to switching planes in either Istanbul, Baghdad, Damascus, or Moscow. As fun as some of those would be for SF-86s, I'm thinking maybe Frankfurt or Paris? I'm free from the shackles of DTS so I can book however I want as long as its cheap economy and utilizing US carriers whenever possible (not really possible here).

I hit both of those ports one time on deployment.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Since the night life on Guam was covered, I will make some recommendations for food.

Meskla Dos has the best burgers on the island. Period. One of the only things that I miss from being stationed there.

Pochon Chicken has some super tasty wings, I would recommend not going above medium heat though.

Mermaid's Tavern has a pretty decent tap for micros and has really good gumbo.

Please be careful if you get in the water. The currents there are very strong, and it really sucked cleaning the blood out of the bird, especially when it was a Sailor.

Check out Pagat Cave, Marbo Cave, Priest Pools, The Thousand Steps, and go on a Hash.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Nothing you do will be right.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I'd recommend reading back a bit, it might unknot the Sir's panties.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
The whole purpose of initiation is to force you to network, prioritize, and to ask for help when needed. Don't wait until you are drowning.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Is that like Approach but for waterboys?

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Time for my occasional recruiting post. If you have ever been interested in working in a data center and are getting out soon, you should look into data center work. If you had a technical or mechanical oriented rate in the Navy, were a nuke of any kind, Gas turbine guy, whatever, something technical, you should think about it. We hire Navy folk like *crazy*. It is not unusual to start lower, at around 60k, but with stocks and bonuses and whatnot to be making 100k+ in a few years. Around 10 years in it is not uncommon to be closing in on 200k. Google gives more pay with bonuses and stock, but Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook do more direct pay, around 40 an hour or so. I can't help yall with them though. So if you are interested (even you lurkers) send me a PM or if you don't have pms just reply to this post and I will help you out. Here is a list of the data center positions in the US open right now:

https://careers.google.com/jobs/res...rt_by=relevance

Let me know if any of those are something you really want to apply to and contact me first and I can give you an employee referral, which can be helpful. If you have questions about transition from Navy to a data center I can help with that general field as well.

I'll bite. I was supposed to retire in March of next year, and then covid hit, so I moved the date to October, and it's still here and not looking better so I've cancelled my request and am going to do another sea tour.

I don't have PMs but am interested.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Imagine how much Amazon and BodyBuilding made off of that deployment.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
There should be a few VA reps in your area that specifically advocate for your disability claims.

You did TAP via PowerPoint? I'll get some resources together and post them later today.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
There's a ton of online resources from Fleet and Family. Notably VTAP.

You'll need an account, register at mynavyfamily.com

You can register for the sessions or webinars there.

From nmci https://learning.zeiders.refineddata.com

I would have posted the flyer but I can't figure out how to upload a pdf on mobile.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
NEL has removed all courses that contain flash. The list is 80 something pages long.

Airman Timmy won't be able to get his Phase I for that piece of SE that FRC doesn't have a course for.

It cracks me up that this was 2 years coming.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
My sea/ shore flow is 36/ 36. I've been in for 22 years this month. 15 years of which have been on Sea Duty. In my community, the counter only advances when underway, and I have done 5 boat deployments and one shore based to Kuwait.

Ask me about bad decisions. The back to back to back sea tour was due to ERB and needing to get my family back when my FIL passed from cancer.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

On my life I have never ever talked to anyone about joining active duty. Currently I’m helping a HM and a MA getting out of the navy go into civilian IT.

Really loving good time to get into gov IT. OPM is pushing a raise for all 2210GS employees. If that gets uncorked in October it may be nearly competing with the private sector. Good way to finish your twenty years imo.

I don't have PMs, but I'd like to pick your brain on this. I retire in about a year and a half.

I'm currently going through a cyber security grant program which will pay for 3 certs upon completion (A+, Sec+, RHSCA, CyberOps, CEH), and I'm not sure which to focus on.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I totally appreciate all of the replies, and i will take the time to digest and reply when i can. My background is working on H-60 electrical systems.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Elviscat posted:

There's a guy at my work that always wears an NWU fleece with an aquaflouge 2nd class insignia on it, I always greet him formally as Petty Officer, and he always just says "hey".

It's so weird, why would you wear that?

Maybe he's proud of his service if he was in? Perhaps he has a family member or friend that serves?

I bet it does it just to gently caress with people.

Either way he's out of uniform.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Saluting is dumb as gently caress and it's not even in the top 20 dumb things about being enlisted

Your AV looks like a dumb kid who forgot his cover on his way to the smokepit.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Last deployment I did was the first time on a carrier. They would do daily junior Sailor recognition on the bridge. Candidates would get to drive the ship, have their bio passed as well as recent achievements, get the skipper's coin and a letter sent home. And the fresh baked cookies.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
That omelet sounds amazing.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
No one is going to do the legwork for it, regardless of how deserving we think it is.

Take the time to fill out the paperwork, including a thorough summary of action with as much supporting documentation as you can find. Chances are, you might need to practice writing awards, being the future MCPON and all, and if all of the wickets are there, routing is much simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Late to exam chat but if you have an approved retirement request or if you are getting out all you need to do is get with your CCC and do a PG-13 to defer the exam.