Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

lol I got cross rated to a unit that works on watertight doors and I'm attending a 4 day school.

AHAHAHAHAHAHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHABA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
There were cookies on your ship?

Edit: We had a CS2 that could make some bomb cinnamon rolls, unfortunately, WEPS decided that since he was on mids all deployment to he should have fresh cinnamon rolls every morning. So after about a month of awesome rolls, they started tasting like onions. After a week of onion flavored rolls they went away forever.
Similar thing happened with anything decent that came out of the galley though.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 22, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I guess cookies did show up for meals in port. Most of the time underway I only ate breakfast and MIDRATS. Breakfast could be ok if you got in line quick enough, but lol, gently caress you if you have to eat MIDRATS.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

hogmartin posted:

Midrats were fine if there were decent leftovers from dinner. If not, stand in a line all the way back to the yeomans' shack to claim your reward of stale bread and a spoonful of peanut butter, no jelly.

Ftfy

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

On one deployment they accidentally ordered way too many hamsters and nothing else. We had hamsters for lunch and dinner for an entire month.

I am not exaggerating.

I remember that!

It was alright for about three days

bengy81
May 8, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I have to do midterm counseling as well. I'm not as close as you are​ to getting out but it will be my last regular FITREP. Supposed to list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Have to figure out what my comedy options are.

"Woke up my roommate with the smell of my flatulence immediately after taco Tuesday"

bengy81
May 8, 2010

piL posted:

What should I do in Pattaya for the full Navy experience?

Get beat up by a gang of lady boys!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's not MIDRATS if it's not a single loaf of stale white bread and a jar of jelly, no peanut butter, maybe some leftover french fries or two hot dogs if you are in the filipino mafia.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Holy poo poo was the OOD off loving the conn and the ship running on auto pilot or something while boats and the helmsman took a nap?

I have so many questions that I want answered right now...

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My experience with Seabees:
Buddy went active, got denied reenlistment at the seven year mark because he was too lazy to get his warfare pin. Liked to brag about tag teaming uggos with his roommate

Guy I enlisted with went drafting aide in the reserves, nice guy, super catholic. Had an architecture degree from CU and was working on his masters. No clue why the gently caress he enlisted... considering he was probably more qualified to do his bosses job than his boss.

TL;DR
SeaBees R dum

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Applying for a recruiter billet tomorrow.

I can't wait to destroy dreams and hate life.

Just kidding! I'm gonna make a difference and do what's best for the future sailors!

blood for the blood god
More nukes for the power plant!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

A Pentium 4 has more processing power, by several orders of magnitude, than the processors being described here (if I understand correctly). For example the Motorola 68008 is the cheaper version of what's in a TI-89. The TI-89 is 12 MHz. A Pentium 4 gets up to 3 GHz. And that's just clock speed.

The 68008 is 8MHZ??? If I remember correctly. I think it was developed in the late 70's or early 80's, and it was slow when it was introduced.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I wonder if I could still cold load one from memory?
Probably not, but I'm sure I could get it to lock up just like old times!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
We used to snap radar transmitter bus bars on people during ESWS walk through, always got a pretty good jump or scream out of people.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the rationale was along the lines of "if we put out all three at the same time, people will make PBJ and eat all of it. If we put them out separately, the demand goes way down and the supplies last longer". I heard the same mindset with good cereal that was hidden away: "if we just put it out on the racks, people will eat it!"

First deployment I went on the night baker made the mistake of making cinnamon rolls one night for the mid watch rotation. Turns out that the dept. heads really liked them, so they started demanding them every night. Was pretty nice since mid rats was usually inedible. Dude got tired of making the, though, so he started letting them proof with chopped up onions or something. They smelled great, but tasted like stale onions so the demand for them eventually went away.

Second deployment one of the cooks made really good chicken parms, but they got too popular so the CS's had to invent ways to gently caress them up, like making the breading soggy, or not putting breading on them, or overcooking them, or not putting cheese on them.

Man, gently caress CS's....

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hi soon to be booter. Don't go NUC, stay AECF or find a rate with a 4 year commitment that looks cool.

I did the AECF thing, it worked out pretty well for the most part. My recommendation would be to aim for the ET side of the house, lots more duty station choices in the long run, as well as more chances to get follow on schools.

FC side can be cool, but most of the C schools are going to pigeon hole you to a specific platform, so if you go that way choose carefully.

If you have any specific questions ask away. I've been out for 6 years so my info is probably out of date, but there is a goon that posts in here that was an A school instructor in GL and I'm sure there are other dudes that can chime in as well.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

What's this poo poo about going AECF and choosing ET or FC? Is that like having the new guy clean the launch window?

In my case I was slated to be an ET but they had too many so they "chose" me to become a FC, so not entirely inaccurate.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

According to the paper I was given at MEPS, that's just the way AECF is done now.

Also, sorry if I seemed to imply that I thought I had any choice in what particular job I got. ET is just what I'd prefer.

Stay AECF, you have a reasonable shot of being an ET and even if you end up FC you still will be working with electronics.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Let's put it this way. Y'all can commence the well-pissing now.

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

WHYYYYYYYY????

Do yourself a favor and at least try to fail out of school, or maybe shoot yourself in the foot or something.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

When we were in a two person watch rotation (lmfao) we did 5 on, 7 off, 7 on, 5 off. That turns you into a zombie pretty quickly, granted nothing like nuke fuckery.

My favorite part was when they wouldn’t let me get qual’d to relieve some of the burden on you two bastards, like I was already up there babysitting my idiots for 8 hours how bad could it have been having me stand that watch too?

Second favorite part was when they took the most incompetent watch standers and made then stand air, sure Fc1 you can barely handle CSC, air should be no problem for you!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

My favorite part of that was when I was sitting air ui and dude couldn't remember the actual secret callsigns for the day so told me to just put out "friend" over the loving net. Because that's fine to do.

Ok, you are gonna have to tell me which idiot that was. I bet I could get it right in three guesses though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

san diego owns bones. everyone here is super chill and helpful, nice weather and my roommates are cool too

any area recommendations? still phase 1 so cant really go out yet but soon enough

Find a chinese restaurant that does salt and pepper wings and get your roommates to split a catering tray with you.
All your idiot buddies are going to want to go to PB, wait until nobody cares what you are doing before you hit it up at night, the cops have no tolerance for drunk assholes and will gladly give you tickets for jay walking or looking at them funny.
Don't try to fight any street lamps, it won't end well.
Don't buy textbooks from the old guy at the mall in the gaslamp.
Eat a cali burrito,
Eat a lumpia,
Don't eat out a hooker
Don't go to TJ without doing all the paperwork to go there legally.
If you still decide to go without getting permission, walk in, but catch a cab out. MP's like to wait at the pedestrian gate to catch idiots without proper authorization to be down there.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh you can just forward the job offer to me my TS/Sci is still active.

Hey look I found the reason why we lost our rates for a hot moment on Facebook!

Leave the ratings as they are. It was Obama's idea to do this. He was breaking up the Navy by not having designations for the job each Sailor did. The approach is the same he used to divide ethnic groups which was leading to chaos.

Don’t doxx me bro.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I was the runner up to the two people who EP. I only know who one of them was for certain and she's amazing.

Summary group average was 3.4.

I'm not sure how to find the CO average.

Got a 5, two 3s and four 4s. Got some nice platitudes in the comment box so that's nice.

Poor crab man is a poo poo bag my condolences.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CMD598 posted:

In other news 7th fleet actually managed to pull into Manila, for once. Third times a charm I guess.

How many sailors gonna get gunned down by Filipino mobsters?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Never thought I'd see an SRB that big as a Tomahawker.

Dude, you can get a sick mustang and a stripper wife with that kind of money!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Buy a raptor and get a stripper girlfriend.

Also knock up your HS sweet heart, and maybe her best friend too.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's just gonna be like when they were doing the big lean six push. Gonna spend a lot of money on something that does gently caress all, but an admiral will get a promotion out of it, so it will be labeled a success.

Also how loving lame would it be to work with an active duty naval officer in the tech world?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I would have gone IA in a heartbeat, deploying as a Spy tech was straight GARBAGE.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Who would I have eaten Vienna sausages with?

:wink:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I had a tooth break due to a bad filling on a deployment, and all I got was a lecture from HMC for bugging medical after working hours.

Also I got to pay about 4k out of pocket when I separated to have a bunch of bad dental work corrected, that was pretty cool too.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I work with a lot of people who probably unironically believe the best thing they ever did was put on some anchors.

About two years into my DoD gig I got 100% through nepotism we moved from trailers into an actual building. All the retired chiefs petitioned hard to get assigned parking, so the parking right outside was GS-12 and above and GS 11 and below got a lot down a hill. Well it turns out most of the retired Chiefs are 11s or lower, so they all went into the Commander's office to persuade him that the parking should be ordered by PRIOR NAVY RANK. Parking is now on a first come basis.

Lots of retired Chief's like to put Retired Chief/Senior Chief/Master Chief on their signature lines, as if a single one of us cares.

If one of them comes into my office to talk about an issue they almost always segue into some loving dumbass sea story that I don't care about.

If you're still in (lol) and you think Chiefs are bad now, I daresay they're worse after retirement.

I've learned that "retired SNCO" is not a trait you want your boss to have.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
0 skulls
4 pirate stickers and a shirt

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm gonna start having navy dreams again, thanks assholes.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

First, a caveat of I haven't been to SD in about 5 years, now

Tacos El Gordo
Hodad's
Pomegranate
The Mission
Pizzeria Luigi
Loving Hut

Names I can't remember:
the pho place across the street from the mission valley target
the sushi place in liberty station

I'd like to close by saying that Phil's BBQ and anyone who likes it can blow me

That's a pretty solid list, but I would like to emphasis how loving good Tacos El Gordo is. It's marginally expensive for the kind of taco place it is, but holy gently caress, you can't beat it.
It's also worth going somewhere and getting a california burrito.There used to be an ok burrito place North of the 32nd Street Main Gate, not sure if it's still there though.

Couple more:
Crest Cafe has a pretty good breakfast menu, and it won't have a hosed up wait like Hash House or Broken Yolk.
I like Sogno Di Vino/Buon Appetito in LIttle Italy.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Can we focus on the really important detail in all of this?

Dudes legit squabbling over ships coffee!!!

Like that shits nasty, you will get a better cup if you have a homeless dude piss in a Starbucks cup outside the main gate.

JFC y'all

BE BETTER

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Ventura County has tons of really cool stuff in it. Forest fires can be a thing, but if you are from SoCal you already know about that.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Fart capturing, duh.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Dip, Monsters, and Vienna sausages were about the only edible things on the ship if you worked mids on either deployment I was on. Maybe Pneumonic can fact check me, but I'm pretty sure the CS's just had a crank put whatever garbage they wanted out for midrats, and that's all you got until morning. I remember lots of over cooked hot dogs, stale bread and peanut butter, milk that was warmer than the cereal you were putting it on... and I think I blocked out the rest. It was awful, I feel like the galley actively worked against us most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Keep it in your (I think I remember this correctly) married pants, Crab Man. It ain’t worth it. Trust me. I mean it- Trust me, brother.

I'm pretty sure Crabby boy is talking about the 4 legged feline kind, but those also come with their own host of issues, so be careful homie.