Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I know that at least three of us were on the Lincoln at the same time, but there's plenty of Amphib/DDG/other small boy representation as well.

When were yall on? I was there for like 2006 to 2007 or so, when we did a Westpac cruise before transferring to the Bush for precomm. Left right as things were starting to get bad in the yards at PSNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I imagine that making an overt political statement in uniform isn't too obscure of a regulation.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A branch that has a buster sword FF7 prop is probably cooler than the Navy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah except that it gets given out by the senior most enlisted in the AF to the top generals in the AF as a massive rear end-kissing gesture and then everyone pretends that it's a gift by all the enlisted to a beloved commander.
It's dumber than anything I've seen in any branch.

The reality is much farther away than the Shinra fighting ecologically minded resistance than I would have hoped it symbolized.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry if this was posted in this thread and I missed it, but it looks like if you are a coronavirus survivor you are barred from entering the service for the time being. Wonder if this has implications for those that did contract it while serving.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have been out so long I don't know the term. What is happening to em?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

:hmmyes: That is where I hear all the good news. Did you hear the port call got cancelled?!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

No, but I heard the CO is pulling monsters from the vending machines to prevent heat stress injuries. Better get them while you can.

I don't recall any of the ships I was on having monsters in the vending machines, we had to go and wait in line at the ship's store :(

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just don't understand how you could socially distance the berthing situation on a carrier. It is not like they are hammocks that can be moved, there are generally not thousands of extra bunks available, and there is no way the goat locker would allow people to sleep during sunlight hours or "The workday" to facilitate having only 1/3 of the crew sleeping at the same time. Even if you tried to split everything up into as many different shifts to spread out as much as possible, the sleeping and eating situations just seems like an untenable situation.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In my time we wore white, then blue shirts under coveralls. Have we moved on to tan now?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

pkells posted:

Out at sea for the last 160 days? Oh boy do they have a surprise waiting for them when they get back to this hell world.

Actually, if anything, I think the COVID situation makes it significantly less likely they will come home to their spouse being pregnant.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If they tried to stop you I imagine it was an ineffective deterrence, at best. Please do not drown in the river.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Florida might be a bad bet due to their coronavirus response or lack thereof. It might be a very difficult transition and your spouse/significant other might have trouble finding work there if the local economy collapses due to the response. California's response is better so they seem less likely to be impacted in the long term. If you still have family in California that would make it even better, as many people will likely not want to fly for the foreseeable future, so being driving distance of extended family could be a big win.

Florida also has some other issues outside of coronavirus response that would make it hard for me to suggest it. On the other hand, if you are a big Jimmy Buffet fan, his line of branded hotels and restaurants are really popular down there.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I lived up in Hampton within walking distance of Buckroe Beach. Wasn't a great house or great neighborhood, but in retrospect not an awful place to live at all. Lots of shopping, dining, and education/enrichment options open in the area. I definitely prefer it to rural Oregon where I live now. The only exception is there is no close skiing opportunity in VA.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you are a well built dark skinned person you can just pop your shirt off in downtown Guam and Lil' Anne will probably come by to scoop you up. I would never have believed it myself until the guys in my division proved it to me. This was a few years back though. Lil' Anne might have settled down. (Or had a coronary; she was not as little as her name implies.)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Guam also has (or at least had) the second location (of two) for the Bremerton bar the Horse and Cow. They are pretty Navtastic.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My first Guam experience was going to the NEX and buying Skyrim, coming back to the boat and finding out I needed to download the whole loving game, then spending the next 5 hours at the laundromat on base.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

Yeah I volunteered to replace the guy who left for command because I couldn't deal with another terrible boss for my last year in. Been doing it for over a year. My wife is ready for me to be done. She hates me trying to be everybody's dad all the time. I will miss all of my sailors. They've really made this a great command, especially with the covid nonsense. The CMC was adamant at first that E6 and below couldn't telework but guess what: no disciplinary issues, nobody getting fat without group PT, and our little part of the Navy's work keeps getting done.

It's incredible what happens when you have a CO that really delegates authority to the lowest possible level, a chief's mess that really trains and mentors and sailors who feel like they're heard and contributing. In a loving shore command where you are expecting all the limdu and legal garbage to wash up.

I start terminal leave Friday afternoon, retirement in a couple months. I'll miss this command but gently caress the navy.

Question about the PT, are most base gyms even open at this point? I would imagine the small gyms on all the deployed vessels are still in operation, but am curious to know to what extent the bases have been impacted by covid. I imagine the NEX and commissary are pretty stringent on mask requirements? I can't imagine there would be too many vocal troublemakers there, but you never know.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

:chiefsay: we hear morale is low soooooooo daily XOs power hour of cleaning stations

Interested to know the best/worst cleaning station nicknames heard throughout the fleet. "XO's HOP" was cringeworthy, (HOP=Hour of Power), but "Material Condition Hour" seems awfully plain.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends on the ship. Currently I’m on sea duty but I wake up at 0730 and days over at 1630 plus I don’t stand a watch unless I volunteer to help the OS or CS out. Usually go to sleep around 2300 or so depending on if I feel tired.

Wow, that seems like a good deal. When I did a tour on a sub tender it was not quite as good, but close. After working in Reactor on carriers, that poo poo sucks so bad. Being a topside ride-along part of the crew really changes the game.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Time for my occasional recruiting post. If you have ever been interested in working in a data center and are getting out soon, you should look into data center work. If you had a technical or mechanical oriented rate in the Navy, were a nuke of any kind, Gas turbine guy, whatever, something technical, you should think about it. We hire Navy folk like *crazy*. It is not unusual to start lower, at around 60k, but with stocks and bonuses and whatnot to be making 100k+ in a few years. Around 10 years in it is not uncommon to be closing in on 200k. Google gives more pay with bonuses and stock, but Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook do more direct pay, around 40 an hour or so. I can't help yall with them though. So if you are interested (even you lurkers) send me a PM or if you don't have pms just reply to this post and I will help you out. Here is a list of the data center positions in the US open right now:

https://careers.google.com/jobs/res...rt_by=relevance

Let me know if any of those are something you really want to apply to and contact me first and I can give you an employee referral, which can be helpful. If you have questions about transition from Navy to a data center I can help with that general field as well.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

in the Seabees there was a non trivial number of Chiefs who made it their mission to eliminate any and all incentive pay for people on orders in the name of 'saving the navy money'. that a thing in the rest of the fleet too?

That sounds absolutely awful, to be honest. Many of the chiefs I knew were either terrible with money or divorced, so I can't see themselves working to hurt their own pocketbooks by doing such activity. But it sounds like a very Navy thing to do.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

CNN's reporting that BHR is turning into an arson investigation.

If true, buckle up. In port security requirements are gonna get nuts.

Could this end up being like the GW, someone smoking while smoking lamp was out, tossed a butt, and started a fire? Or do you think by arson they mean disgruntled sailor/shipyard worker lighting the place up?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

Or, it could wind up like the Iowa turret explosion scapegoating.

Going to have to look this up. Sounds awful from the post above.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tacopie posted:

I'll bite. I was supposed to retire in March of next year, and then covid hit, so I moved the date to October, and it's still here and not looking better so I've cancelled my request and am going to do another sea tour.

I don't have PMs but am interested.

If you send me an email letting me know exactly what positions seem interesting to you, what your timeline is, what sort of information you need, etc... I will see what I can do to help out. I will only keep my email in this post for a few days though, never know who or what is crawling these pages. the email is bradleyd at google dot com

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

pkells posted:

I did some work at one of the DC’s for a while and worked closely with the technicians, and I’ll confirm, they were all former navy, with the exception of one coast guard I believe. The job seemed pretty cool, and the extra on-site perks seemed awesome. I even got to eat at the cafeteria a couple times, and holy poo poo I would gain so much weight if I ate there regularly.

Our cafeteria is closed/only doing box lunches right now, so we can have that, or expense take out in order to support the local economy. My DC has a gym as well, but during covid times it is closed. It was such a culture shock, coming to one from the Navy. At first it felt like a trap, because I was so used to being constantly poo poo on in the Navy. I guess the only "downside" is that our SCADA and alarming systems seem really immature and not fully developed compared to that which we used in the reactor plants.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the hell is a "differently abled deployment"?

I believe they are using that phrase instead of the word "retarded". I don't quite understand the intent, or if it was sarcasm, or what.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I separate in February, in the Norfolk area.

I’m considering moving into software development or devops type stuff but so far I have no certifications and my hobbist experience is pretty broad and shallow for a “real” developer job, except maybe outside of simple data analysis.

I do have medical certs (like EMT and phlebotomy) and Virginia has a specific scope of practice for prior military medics similar to EMT/LPN to fall back on if it turns out I somehow hate actually working in tech or just can’t land anything.

I have a Bachelors and I’m about to have a masters but both are non technical and would only be good for getting me a not so great job as a research assistant or HR corporate office type “need a degree” jobs.

I’m either going to focus on finishing my masters or getting compTIA certs banged out, probably going to finish my masters. I’ve saved shitloads and live pretty frugal so I have months and months of runway but of course I’d rather not spend a lot of time without any income.

Thank you for that recommendation, I’ll check them out. Honestly just knowing to use “vet transition program” as a search key- that stuff is helpful.

If you have no certificates but are knowledgeable about computers in general you should look at data centers, on the computer toucher side. Each big company has a different title for them, and they pretty much rove the data center floor replacing hard drives, motherboards, and other server related problems, at the introductory level. Based on skill and time these people tend to advance into mini project managers, directing the deployment of new machines and servers, often directly interfacing with manual labor contractors. Or sometimes these people work in ancillary departments such as data destruction or tape back up. Unfortunately a few big players utilize contractors first and then if they prove themselves they let them convert over. A lot of these companies value degrees that indicate good culture fit as well. I majored in humanities with an emphasis on philosophy and women's studies(but did not finish), and it worked out pretty good for me just leveraging my Navy experience as my technical background. Do you have a specific location you are looking at? Working hands on with equipment in a tech company can actually be a really good angle. The whole situation is just a little different than the standard tech scene, and there are a lot more locations than just working in the metropolitan headquarters.

One thing to keep in mind is some companies will reimburse you for school, and if you luck out they will let you double dip. I get 100% reimbursement for finishing my degree, so I got 17k in cash and the GI Bill paid the school, and I got 12 months BAH at 2,400$ a month, so it worked out really well for me. Here is a super hint for GI Bill: you only need one class in person, and it only needs to meet once. The BAH is based on the college. I live in rural Oregan, but drive (pre-covid) to Portland once a term and get that sweet Portland BAH. I am thinking about my second degree and I am no poo poo trying to find out if there is a school in California that has an online program with classes that meet once a semester. San Fransisco's BAH is 4,500$ a month, so it would be worthwhile to fly down there once a term for the first day meet and greet classes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Depending on who you work for the ergonomics can be different. I know that Google provides server lifts and small hydraulic lifts for a lot of the heavier stuff.

We call our computer maintenance folks Data Center Technicians, which is confusing because I am a data center *facilities* technician, and there is a relatively large difference between the two. I would imagine keywords to look for would probably be "Data center Technician" or for some areas "Operations Engineers". Unfortunately there is a lot of different term usage by the big players as they try to make the positions sound as prestigious as possible. TS might actually help you out if you want to interact with anyone who does "gov-cloud" stuff, or if you want to work for the government directly in one of their dcs. I am a little less sure how to get that ball rolling though. If you have not separated yet maybe ask someone who works for NMCI?

Northern Virginia has a massive amount of data centers, from all the big companies, and a ton of colocation data centers. A colocation dc is one in which a hosting company owns the physical infrastructure and rents floor space to different clients, and then those clients can enter the data center and interact with their computers. So, in some instances you could even get a job with travel to colocation sites. (Obviously covid is a factor now). At my site we had a person who traveled to Colorado to do colo work a few months out of the year, and then eventually just moved there to support the multiple different colos. So, the job field has a lot of different ways to move and shake. And the industry is growing pretty fast. Also, if you get in on the dc side, you can always step over to the SWE side. We had a tech at my campus do a 6 month internship with our SREs and was offered a position, but he did not want to move, so he came back to ops.

While the pay can be a little less than some other fields, for me the quality of life, especially compared to the Navy, makes it totally worth it. I remember on deployment I couldn't get a relief on watch when I had gastroenteritis and was puking in the bilge, was just told to "Suck it up", whereas when Prince passed away I took a half day off for mental health, no problem. It is a totally different world.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

As for move back home, I seem to recall that upon separating you are entitled to a move to home of record within a certain timeframe of leaving...I don't recall the specifics, and while nice, can be hard to use. On the other hand, some employers offer a moving allowance as part of a hiring on package.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

cubivore posted:

Hi Navygoons. I have a little less than a year left so I'd like to ask advice about what I should do, what I should look into, etc.

I'm stationed overseas and before I joined I came from a poor junkheap family so I don't have the faintest clue about how college works or anything. At least I'm going to leave with no debt and a good amount of savings, so I don't feel bad about it.

I don't have any certs or anything though I'm in a technical/computer-related rate, and I've been studying Python/C++ in my spare time. I'd like to get into programming related work afterwards but I really have no idea how any of this works, since I don't have programmer nerd friends or family. Thanks for any advice you can spare.

One thing to keep in mind for the GI bill is that to get the BAH you must attend at least one class in person. The kicker is that class only needs to meet once. So, what you can do is look at colleges that have "Hybrid" classes like that. For example, I go to Washington State University's Vancouver campus once a semester for the first class of my anthropology courses and take the rest of my school 100% online, because I live in central Oregon. The 2 hour drive once a semester gets me 2409/month BAH, so it is really worthwhile.

While this is an extraordinarily bad time for travel, if you (in the future) you don't mind travel that can open up a lot of avenues as a field representative or engineer for various companies. I spent a few months when I was with Mitsubishi flying around and updating IP addresses on PLCs for them, and that was a pretty good gig.

If you are desperate for work a headhunter group like Bradley-Morris will almost assuredly get you a job, but be warned they are tasked with filling positions with the highest caliber candidate for the lowest cost. I found my first post Navy job with them, and it was a good transition step while I did a little bit more thorough job hunting and figuring out what I wanted to do. If you have not been reading the thread I would also recommend a job at a data center if you can swing one. They tend to be really great. Below is a link to that sort of position:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dat...A:1603810243507

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

You get BAH regardless, just at a reduced rate.

Yes, that is true, but the reduced rate is so low it makes being able to go to school full time without working pretty much impossible. The rate is half of the US average of E-5 with dependent BAH, or $850 a month. Considering that most metros have a BAH of 1800(Olympia) to 4500 (San Francisco), it really leaves a lot of money on the table. One thing he could consider doing is working and going to school part time, especially if he could do one of those classes in person. I believe you can use GI Bill in half month increments, so that might be a good way to get some BAH money and school done.

Right now I am doing 15 credits and working 50+ hours a week, so I am *very* stressed. I might not recommend it to anyone.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, are any commands having their people on "standby" for election day violence or a possible refusal to leave office/peaceful transition of power following that?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

My current OIC was a commanding officer on a minesweeper during his active duty days. Had some hilarious stories of the sailors keeping it real.

Time to get in line for the omelet station. Bye!

Fresh baked pastry and pork tocino!

We've moved on to green pants now?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would advise getting out and getting a head start on your real career.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So one more question to add, what's the cultural expectation with most civilian jobs and appointments? I've always wondering how you're supposed to go to doctors appointments and such while working a regular job. Dumb question I know, but I've always worked either lovely part time jobs, shift work, or been in the military.

I just wish there was a cheat sheet somewhere or a guide for the process of transitioning, even though I felt like I prepared myself so well it's still overwhelming trying to figure it out. Anyway, that's my bitch. I need to sleep and get ready for work tonight instead of google stuff poo poo.

It depends on the job. If you don't have paid sick time then you just try to schedule time off, have someone cover your shift, or work around it. It is all so variable that it is hard to give a specific answer. Theoretically you could use sick/medical time for your appointments or the appointments of your family, but again it is so variable that it is hard to say. Generally employers know that most medical appointments happen during the week and there are things in place to allow that to happen. The area you might run into the most trouble with this would be manufacturing I would think. All the factories I visited when I worked for Mitsubishi only cared about production and numbers and gave no shits about their employees. But in those cases they were all shift work, so something could be worked out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You are a nuke, right? Get out and get into the data center industry. You won't regret it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This story about the Navy loving you up to the last minute is making me super excited for you to get out. I remember when I got out. It was loving glorious. The glory will be yours, shortly my friend! Hang in there, and gently caress the navy!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I assume you must be the designated thread short timer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I did a brief search query trying to find my victory lap when I got out, but then I realized Im like 8 months short of being out for 10 years and felt real old real fast

This hits very close to home. But, remember buddy, that means we have been out for almost a decade. You can tell your boss to straight gently caress off without going to fake quasi jail. I have nightmares about the Navy still.