Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The way I’ve seen it is 90% of the people who stay in were bullied in high school and stayed in because they finally have “power” over people. I honestly couldn’t believe it when some master chief went off on my buddy for cutting a literal foot off the crosswalk and tried to send him to mast.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don’t understand how the COis responsible for training. Maybe it’s because i’ve never been aboard a small boy but if a PQS comes his way that everyone else in a sailor’s CoC has signed off on, why would he have a reason to not sign it? Also why are the admirals who were no where near the ships being punished? I don’t understand big navy at all.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been wanting to re-enlist (help me) but the majority of people who stay in and the stress from dumb poo poo is just so toxic. I can’t imagine myself having any friends at work as a first class or chief solely based on the fact that i hate 99% of the people up there now because they’re so quick to poo poo on everyone lower than them.

/daily navy rant

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

Make friends outside of work. Keep your life separate. Not to say be a dick but, have them as acquaintances or work friends.

Just be sure to look at your whole situation but, if you're on your first contract, probably a good time to pull chalks and head to university.

Yeah I’ve been thinking a lot about going civilian again lately due to dumb poo poo like some chief losing his mind at people bringing their backpacks to turnover and making everyone take their bags back to their work center then come back before we could get off. I just don’t understand higher ups.

The Valley Stared posted:

Anita Dickinme, I agree with Nick Soapdish unless you really enjoy what you're doing, and can't get something similar in the Civilian sector. Unless you want to take an officer route and do STA-21 or something like that.

Can I ask how much the bonus would be? Not that that should be a factor.

I honestly do enjoy it. Would really only do Warrant because I’m not trying to get into the backstabbing politics of being an officer.

As for the bonuses I can’t see it being over $1,000 at any point for ABE.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The unknowing guinea pig is the best guinea pig.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

I missed this in a drunken stupor when it was posted, but it's 100% true.

For those curious, Command Pay is a whopping $50 a month.

But there’s also bonuses, right?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It sucks at first and is terrible but drat near as soon as you go to inhale all that water you black out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

boy are my arms tired posted:

101, ship 14, the good ol drop zone

no but our division didnt get dropped nearly enough

yes, for doing a racism

san diego for stg a school, flying out tomorrow. gently caress all the snow here

Im eating a burger right now tho so life is good

was ship 14 the arizona? if it was that was ship.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I was 37 went I went through 3 years ago so I know your pain.

Great job on not strangling anyone in their sleep.

I remember you going in just a bit before me. It’s been a long three years. :stare:

But I was only 20 when I went in.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

boy are my arms tired posted:

yes, also affectionately called "the ghetto" and "a shithole"

Glad things don’t change. :unsmith:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This week’s training: how to keep your clothes on and stay away from the woods when black out drunk.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A million or two to sink another ship seems worth it to me seeing as though everyone we’ve been at war with the last 40 years hasn’t had anything more than a dingy fleet. :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like I can't let you fuckers forget that this was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWscbJKwhw

:stonk:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
96 because you technically didn’t do anything wrong but gently caress you.

e: Oops 92

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2018

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any experience with blue to green? Navy sucks Army seems a lil better.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

Unless you're within six months until EAOS it is a non-starter, I've been trying and failing to get released the last 18 months. Per instruction you aee ineligible for any enlistment bonuses green side, so that's a consideration maybe.

Friend brought it up today and since we’re in the yards and our rate is overmanned she said there’s a chance. Our reenlistment bonus right now is $300 anyway which is a few zeros off from convincing me to do more years in the Navy. I got two years left and the ship will be in the yards past my EAOS.

vulturesrow posted:

This is maybe the worst idea I've seen written in the Navy thread and we've had some real bad ones.

I don’t see that being true as long as people come into this thread asking us what it’s like to be a nuke and still join as a nuke.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of doing 20 years and retiring but there’s literally nothing about the Navy I like. It’s just something I’m exploring which is why I’m asking about it. Maybe if we had a pub on our aircraft carriers I wouldn’t mind it so much.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

What don't you like about the Navy that you think would be better in the ARMY?

Mostly just not being stuck on a boat in the ocean mostly.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...ce=facebook.com

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

The username is accurate, right?

I seem to remember when they last came into the thread saying "Hey I'm going to enlist, please let me know if it sucks or not" and like 10 people said "Don't do it you gently caress!" and they came back a day or 2 later with the fact that they had gone to MEPS, done the ASVAB, and decided to be an ABE.

I was going to enlist, I wasn’t going to not enlist because some dweebs on the internet said not to. I just wanted to know what it was like going in. I’m not upset I enlisted either because of the benefits it’ll have on my life. But this situation I was just asking if anyone had any experience with it or the Army. I’m not telling y’all I’m doing it I’m just asking about it but you guys want to act like good ol’ Navy leadership and jump down my throat and give me poo poo for asking a question. :bravo:

Thanks maffew and vulture for giving me some actual advice and talking about it instead of acting like the toxic leadership we speak about everyday here.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When I’m not around lovely people maybe. :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Seriously, just go to the Army thread and look up all of Mustang's posts. Watch as they take a bright individual who is going to do good things for the people under him, and then crush his soul out with Army Stupidity™ and then give him Stockholm syndrome, you can actually watch it play-by-play via his posts. Now he's giving handies behind the PX to get a better chance at promoting to the next rank.

Like, joining the navy is water under the bridge, that's whatever now, but if you think Navy Stupid is anything next to Army Stupid™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

Glanced over his posts real quick and holy poo poo that’s rough.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DownByTheWooter posted:

Anita Dickinme

Grow a mustache and a mullet and get a job at Chik Fil A

Can’t because I’m gay and worship the Devil. :worship:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

And one of my friends in the command got killed in a motorcycle accident last night. Don't ride motorcycles, kids

I’m really sorry man. Make sure you talk to someone and don’t drink while you’re mourning. I’ve lost three friends that I ride with since December, including the guy that took me on the flight deck for my first time, and talking about it with psych boss, surprisingly, really helped. If you need help don’t keep it to yourself.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What a perfect time to be on terminal. :smug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

Congrats man. Just curious but didn’t we join a few months apart?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Been in since Nov 2015. However I only got about half that time on active orders. Reserves has been a wild trip.

Okay yeah I joined back in 2015. I did go active but active got me from E1 to E4 back to E1 real quick. Five great years. :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Surface fleet chiefs yeah, one chief was really into trying to made sure nobody combined leave and liberty so that the “Navy wouldn’t get cheated.”

Why would someone choose to be like this? :confused:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It actually shook your command? No one on the George Washington seemed to care when we had the highest number of cases one year. I actually remember one chief saying we need to work more so we have less time at home to consider suicide.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Those poor guys. Meanwhile big navy keeps posting on Facebook/Twitter about it like it’s something to be proud of.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It’s a sick competition between CO’s who are trying to get their names in the history books.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

loving :lol: if you think the CO was cool with it.

After my last two CO's it's hard to imagine they weren't. Of course I'll give credit to my first CO and you're p cool. :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I found out that my command gave me a copy of a copy of my DD214 and when I called to try and get my original copy the PSC I was talking to, when I told him who I was, literally told me to gently caress off and hung up on me. Is there anything I can do to get my DD214 or report old buddy?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Be like a typical E5 and go crazy with the extra money.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

Here's a radical idea: the CINC just orders as many ships to port for repairs as will fit. Stand down the Navy for a while.

As someone who has worked at the yards for a few years now I can tell you that if we do this it will be a long while.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

drat your new av is something. Did you actually say "Alas we live in a time of sensitivity?" Are you loving serious lol. I mean I don't give you poo poo over your name because it's whatever, I think it's a dumb name but that's your personal choice.

Yeah, it’s just a dumb dick joke that I wouldn’t expect anyone to look at twice. Thing is that I don’t even use this forum name in Discord.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveLiewer/status/1337451126703222784?s=20

Maybe don't have a Russian gf that you met while in Djibouti. Maybe pay attention to your security briefings. Maybe don't be a colossal fuckup

Other than this he’s a p cool guy though.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have heard nothing but horrible things from that command since the old CO got fired.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Washington Post has an article on one of the dipshits who wrote an affidavit for Sidney Powell.

Wound I be right in thinking "general under honorable" translates into "This person was a total fuckup, but we didn't feel like going through the bother of a dishonorable discharge"?

I got a general under honorable. Went to court martial for something I didn’t do, was found not guilty, got back to the command and was told they were still kicking me out so it’s essentially a “we hate you but we can’t ruin your life so we’ll just kick you out :smug:” thing.

I had a month left on my contract. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

warsow posted:

Well you weren’t found guilty of the crime, but I’m going to ruin your career to feel vindicated.

It’s wild that it is institutionally easier to do this than to modify their PRD and force them to go up for orders sooner.

That’s exactly what I thought was going to happen but when I was told I was going back to my command my first thought was “wow, I’m hosed” and I was spot on.