Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

buttplug posted:

This actually seems like a really cool program, thanks!

You reverse engineer Nork malware when not blowing opsec on OPLANs you'll be hired for your elite hacking skills right out the gate, Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Boon posted:

Sometimes I miss ship life

Am I... Am I broken?

Fundamentally, yes.

Let the existential horror begin.

The disease is inside you!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Did they ever figure out why your nuts hurt so bad Mr. Nice? They fix that poo poo or are you just living with ball pain?

Sorry for once calling your condition Cerebral Ballsy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Oh the joke is good, but I like Mr. Nice so I feel bad clowning on legit medical issues.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Mr. Nice wears a romper in his taco truck. I bet you have a loving fidget spinner too, don't you? Got a sick vape game too?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
*triggered*

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

orange juche posted:

Didn't they do a nuclear cruiser or something? Can't say they ever got as small as a DDG.

CGN's like the USS Texas were the smallest nuclear surface ships I know of.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Nm

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
When does the squadron commanders leash get yanked? Surely now, right?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I think that DESRON 15 is going to pay for this one too.

That's the first O-6 in the chain right? Guess the hurt stops there?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Christ what a loving mess, what a terrible hosed up mess. I hope heads roll if systemic problems are found.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Someone explain what FDNF means please :ohdear:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

The Valley Stared posted:

While this wasn't unexpected, it still hurts in a lot of ways. I talked to one of the other officers from the ship (not one being charged) and both of us are just trying to process this more then anything.

Admiral Rowden getting the boot shocked me more than anything. He wants to fix the problems with the surface fleet, and after already deciding to retire early, the Navy even took that from him. I doubt that anything good will actually come of what happened to us now.

But hey! According to Admiral Davidson, we just need to learn how to work better when we're fatigued, right? That will fix all of our problems.

How was this not unexpected? Was there talk of charges during the investigation or something? I’m really rather surprised that you weren’t surprised by this.

What’s your opinion on the charges, out of curiosity?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

The Valley Stared posted:

Agreed on the SWO stuff. The training is not nearly what it needs to be, for sailors or officers. Apparently its getting better towards hands on learning again, but the fleet still has a along way to go before we really start to reap the benefits of that.

And I should clarify: I think most of the officers on the FITZ realized that it was a possibility that some charges would be brought forward. What, we weren't sure, but something. The negligent homicide charges against Commander Benson are a complete shock. Hell, there was one sailor that was very surprised when I told him that Command Benson was going to be relived for what happened. I think a lot of us hoped that because of what happened that would be the end of it, but again, always the possibility.

They have to pay us large amounts of money to even stay in for Department Head rides. Right now it's about 105k to stay in for that. A lot of JOs won't even do it though because of all of the health effects and stressors that are a part of that life.

You thinking about making a career out of the navy, or are you gonna transition to the Civilian sector? Not a loaded question, I was a career guy. Air Force though, not navy. My parents were career navy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

You’ve held command.. how much of an rear end loving would you hand a guy with a clean record for this?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

simplefish posted:

I admit, I didn't see the dedicated Marines thread. I was skimming looking for megathreads with loads of pages, brain didn't register the one with 3 pages, so I assumed you guys had rolled it into here.

Should have looked harder, sorry. I'll move the question there.

All our good marines are dead.

:(

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I know a bunch of dudes were using steroids in SEAL team 6’s red squadron between ‘05 and ‘09. Coke wouldn’t surprise me, but it kinda does surprise me if that makes sense.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Please don't share my FetLife account name here.

I just had to go find out what the gently caress FetLife was.

:stare:

Mother loving :stare:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The very first complaint I got as an instructor was for "talking down" to them. I've gotten complaints about not explaining things slowly or in-depth enough, too. I've gotten complaints about being "too chummy" and "not approachable".

After work I found out that this kid went back to my buddy and said that my apology seemed "backhanded". He didn't think I "meant it".

gently caress students, gently caress great lakes.

Edit: when I say complaint, I meant they said something to another instructor, who said something to me. I've only ever had one actual real live critique. They said I didn't seem to care about how they did.

You really have no business being an instructor. I’m sure you do well in your rate on a ship, but you aren’t cut from the right cloth to be a formal instructor. You are kinda retarded, to be totally honest.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What would you do if you ever had to actually go out on a ship?

Crank

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

I think that already happened on the midwatch.

Ouch that’s a spicy hot take

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Dorstein posted:

To clarify, I got fat after I got out.

:same:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

ded posted:

Did he attend suicide prevention training?

You are not good at being an edge lord, ded.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Godholio posted:

Did the E-4s and below under his command attend THEIR suicide prevention training?

Who the hell cares?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

Shim whats wrong?

Godholio posted:

It's a joke about lovely punishment. You doing ok?

Just hate suicide + attempts at humor about suicide by people that aren’t being particularly funny. If someone dug hard enough I’m sure they could find me joking about suicide in the past, but I lost someone to suicide (again) a few months back and I’m probably just being a sensitive bitch, so feel free to ignore me, I’m actually not trying to start an argument or anything. I’ll leave the navy thread for the sailors.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
IS is a great rate, I worked for IS’s in joint commands, and I’ve been a supervisor to IS’s when I later got rank. Their quality of life was as good as mine in the USAF. And the schools they go to produce fairly competent intel weenies.

Intel is a great field, honestly can’t recommend it enough.

The only rate I’d recommend over IS is CTN but I don’t know what Reserve CTN’s do, I only dealt with active duty. But they go through some good schools and get to do very interesting things. You can make a metric fuckton of money as a CTN looking for contractor or GS work.

The market for bog standard intel weenie is a bit tighter, but CTN’s are always in demand and have way more specialized training.

As you are a successful nuke I have 0 doubts that you would be able to handle those schools.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

This was a difficult read, my hats off to you and those other Sailors, TVS.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I’m terminally broken.

I have a medal that I got at a pretty low rank that my non-deployed chain of command threw such a poo poo fit over I didn’t even get a medal presentation or anything just because they felt like E-4’s shouldn’t be getting that high of a medal. I still don’t display anything about it in my office with all my mil stuff, because I’m broke brained enough to think I didn’t deserve it after their levels of bullshit about it. Something I should feel pride in, is like.. toxic to my mind now.

I feel ya Mr. Nice, I’m broken too.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

A former XO of mine, pissed at the way the army was using IAs from our ship and IAs in general, was giddy at the prospect of grabbing an army IA to deploy on the ship with us to the middle east. He figured the best thing to do would grab a technical expert E5 or E6 and then make them a mess crank for the entirety of deployment.

That’s a pretty lovely XO if you ask me. Punishing some rando soldier who had nothing to do with the way Navy IA’s were used by the army tells me this guy isn’t very emotionally mature, and I would have serious concerns about his fitness to command based on just this alone.

I had Navy Reserve IS’s working for me the entire time I was in Iraq and Afghanistan. I did my best to see to it that they were used meaningfully, and given adequate training for our special mission sets. I explicitly exempted them from army stupidity like accountability formations and poo poo. I was impressed by the professionalism and capability of the reservists I got. Maybe I just got lucky but I’m talking about 20’sh people here.

That said, their mere presence is exhibit A for how badly we’ve depleted the Army.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Thoughts and stares.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Gitmo is not a bad gig, honestly. Qatar can be nice, too.

Gitmo is what I’d take. Good chow and lodging. The prison is falling apart but you likely will have nothing to do with that given your rate.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

This is a really serious question and may sway me.

Is the fishing any good?

Never had a chance to find out, my longest stay there was 3 weeks and they were 7 day work weeks. You don’t have to worry about that being the case for you, you’ll have plenty of time to maximize use of the mwr facilities.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Isn’t the Navy Reserve our nations most elite line of defense right between the Coast Guard Auxillary and the League Of Women Voters?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
We had a submarine thread a long time ago I’ll see if I can dig it up for you.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Is there a sub-specific Navy thread, or would it just fall under this one? Was hoping to read stories from Navy goons about life on subs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537597&perpage=40

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Thanks, new to the forums yeah. Wife’s had an account forever and recently managed to talk me into one.

Granted not sure how long y’all would be in port at a time, but Crete also had some cool hiking scenes that some people took advantage of. Think some went to some of the old Minoan temples and all.

Holy poo poo, a new Gipper. Welcome to GiP, glad you joined us. I take it from your posts your a Navy guy?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Does it make it any better that most the folks on my ships had a hard time believing I wasn’t a prior because I wasn’t like the academy dipshits and really took care of my folks ? :)

I swear I haven’t met a single prior enlisted officer that was worth a poo poo. It’s like they’re all the worst parts of officers and enlisted.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

orange juche posted:

we've gotta be careful we don't scare the new guy off though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
All GiP threads are technically idiots threads. Because they’re either by goons dumb enough to join the military, or anyone dumb enough to join in our idiocy sans military service.