Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

For some reason all the submarines I was on were really good about this when we were in pretty, people would pick up duty... everyone had a "look out for your family" mentality.

At sea? It was a different story, I had to help drag an FT1 off our COB after the COB told him he wouldn't be let off the boat for his 5 year old daughter's funeral* and to "suck it up, buttercup"

We were not on mission, we were loving around near Florida preparing for deployment.

*it doesn't make it any better, but she died of a chronic illness, and her death was not unexpected.

That sounds like a specific COB I had as well and it is a very small world so there's a good chance it was lol.

My last sea command was the Tender in La Madd. I was the Command DAPA for a while and had a weekly meeting with the CO, XO, JAG, CMC and me, a first class. I got to hear a LOT of interesting things in those meetings and one specific moment stands out to me. We were waiting for one of the other guys to show up for the meeting so the CO was going through things on his desk. Then he picks up the phone and tells the CHENG to come to his stateroom. CHENG shows up and the Captain asks why he disapproved a leave chit.
"Sir, we will be underway for that period."

CO: "So can you explain to me why you can't get this ship underway without (looks at chit) EN3 Smith?"

Dude got his leave approved and I'm sure his Chain of Command was totally cool about it. It was fun to hear anyway.

Speaking of anyway, I was going to cross-post some pictures from the Lego thread of a project I'm working on that is Navy related if there is any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So there I was on AS39, one of like 5 or 6 First Classes in my repair division. I had submitted a request chit to go be the Command DAPA and the senior chief took that poo poo really personal. Apparently he had instructed my chief to really gently caress with me about it. So I went to the senior chief to say something about the reprisal and how it was pretty hosed up, not knowing what was really going on. So my chief came back at me screaming and informed me that I had to paint his office in the divisional space. I was like, wtf? but I didn't say anything. I skipped lunch to get paint and supplies from the paint locker and knock it out at noon. He came back in as I was finishing up and lost his goddamn mind. He was SCREAMING at me for painting his office and that I should have waited until after working hours, which was not explained to me at all. So he had the leading first class write a counseling chit on me. I just stared at him the whole time and I knew he was uncomfortable but he was trying to make chief and I knew that at some point I would be the DAPA. The first made chief, the chief made master chief eventually and was a miserable back stabbing poo poo.

Side note, that chief grew up about a half hour away from my home town in South Dakota. It's a small world so I was talking to my parents about poo poo and it turns out my dad knew his dad. And then I learned that a LOT of people knew his dad. Back in the day his dad and their neighbor got into a fight about water in their farm lands and Chief's Dad shot and killed the neighbor. I think maybe chief didn't like me too much when I told him that my dad knew his dad. I certainly didn't think that would start a contentious relationship but there we were anyway. 20 years has given me a LOT of lovely E7 and above stories. Also had a lot of good E7 and above stories, but not as many as the lovely ones.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The other day I threatened to cross post a thing I'm working on from the Lego thread so here it is, for your consideration. I started doing car kits last year and found that it really helps out my mental health. There is a free program you can download to design your own poo poo, then you upload the parts to a linked website that has vendors buying and selling parts, so you can order the parts and actually build poo poo. So I decided to give it a go. Started with something small....

The parts for the first step

Some progress

finished:

you gotta click it for the gif to work

The plan is to have cutouts throughout the model, with lighting. The VL tube is hard to see there because the light isn't on, but it is definitely there.

This week I got most of the parts for the next step:

With both sections I have learned that I'm underengineering parts of it, so I have to order more parts and wait for them to get here. Not pictured are the two other Mk48s and the Tomahawk canister.

The sections will be connected better than this, but I put them next to each other just to see.

My wife is really impressed (she is easily impressed) and said "wow, that's big. There's only one more section, right?"

lol

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

slurm posted:

Is that your own design? That's awesome, you're going to learn so much about Lego design from this.

Yes. And yes, I am learning a lot as I go. For instance, as I designed it on the program, I didn't make instructions. So the dome/VL section was just a poo poo ton of black bricks. So I turned all of them white on the program and then as I built, changed each brick I used to black to keep track of what I did and where I was. I'm not happy with the dome, but gently caress me that was hard to design. I must have tried a dozen or so different methods and just went with what I have here. Hopefully the rest of the model will take your eyes off of the dome.

Cerekk posted:

Do they made sad Lego men for the engine room?

They do, for sure. I ordered all the parts for the minifigs for the forward section this week. THAT is where they get you. But I am making it to minifig scale, so there is room for them in the three levels. I'm seriously considering making the laundry area with the dryer on fire. For accuracy

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

Seriously I’ll volunteer some yellow tone sad/happy faces towards this effort. I’m currently going though my collection for sale and it’s pretty immense. Most was purchased during 2008-2018. A lot of city minifigs.

Pm sent

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

maffew buildings posted:

why would a chief gently caress with you and be upset you wanted to be the DAPA?

What I didn't know is that a week before I checked on board another first class checked on board that was supposed to be in the same division and immediately told the senior chief that he wanted to go work in QA. I guess that guy had some friends in high places because he got yanked out to go work in QA immediately. So then I show up and say that I've had experience being command DAPA at sub school and my plan after I left the tender was to go be a drug and alcohol counselor at a SARP facility, and it was just bad timing for me.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would imagine Command Dapa for a sub tender (nominal crew of 1300 before conversion) would be a full time duty as opposed to a collateral duty, so their Chief may be down a sailor. I don't know how billeting is effected when you lose a sailor to a command level duty, but the Chief would probably been down 1 more person for some time. I mean, the Chief's behavior was poo poo, and he should not have been upset.

This was it exactly. It was a full-time gig so he was already down one sailor from the week before and now I was also trying to get out of his division. There was some time elapsed between when I showed up and said I wanted to be DAPA and when I got the counseling for a painting the Chief's office that I was directed to paint.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Crew was around 12 or 1300 when I was there 04-07. All military.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Someone showed me the base of the long neck and how I could incorporate those bricks to make it more round at the top and bottom but I don't know if I can make it work for what I'm doing

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

orange juche posted:

How much do you care about the folks landing and their lunch?

My first two years I was on a Newport class LST and the battle doctrine for those was "we don't".

I mean sure, there was a plan on how to get back off the beach but there are also escape hoods on submarines. Same same works fine in training situations and makes moms and congressmen happy. Fairly useless in practical applications

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

Life has no meaning on a submarine anyways, especially when we used to do the 18 hour rotation.

There we go

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
6 on 6 off Port and starbird hot racking in the torpedo room. This is the memory I bring up whenever I think something in my life is lovely. Because honestly nothing's been worse than that

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

lightpole posted:

Every part of this is gross. I already get insomnia when I'm home the thought of any of that just kills me.

Yeah I still get it too and I've been retired for 11 years. The ambien helps though. Should get your hands on some of that

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I got to Seawolf after sea trials and that was my first exposure to Yard Sailors. What a loving joke of a fraternity that was. My LPO was a first who made chief and then got picked up for an officer program with zero deployments. None.

I had a sea-going rate, so there was no excuse

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

I feel like some even trivial amount like $10 per hour as “OT” over 12 hours a day service would go very far for making life less miserable. Would love to the reasons why we couldn’t pay our heroes more though.

Next thing you'll want unions and (looks at every First Class Association) oh yeah. Never mind.

I know they aren't a union but it was fun to watch them when I was asked to join and told them I didn't want to be in their Pre-Chief Union

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
You probably won't have a better day in a civilian job than the best day in the Navy, but you also probably won't have a worse day in civilian job than the worst day in the Navy. By a long shot

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Laranzu posted:

Getting kicked in the balls for ten years is not an excuse to get kicked in the balls for ten more.

Especially if you are set up for a nice civ job where you can just shove a 50% base pay retirement into an IRA.

Or a gov job where you get insurance.

Says the guy who got trapped in till 17 and is sticking out the 20 for that 50% and Tricare because he is lazy and likes the stability of getting kicked in the balls.

I hope you're going to medical to complain about everything that hurts. Everything. Hopefully you retire somewhere with a good VA hospital because finding providers that take Tricare is a pain. And you have to pay for it now anyway thanks to The Wall funding.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Saw this on FB so I just took a screenshot. I accidently read the comments and that was a shitshow.

Personally, I think she has the perfect attitude to be an STS.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
This entire page needs a loving pink belly. Buncha nerds

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Award letters came up in conversation this weekend with a friend of mine and I was reminded of this. I was getting ready to check out from the LAND in La Madd and everyone's family would get a letter of apprciation from the skipper since being stationed there was "arduous." I was the Command DAPA and had a very good relationship with him. He said that he signed a letter for my (now ex) wife but didn't see any for any kids. I told him I didn't have any kids but I had two cats if he was in the signing mood. He thought for a second and then said that sounded good to him.

Miles was the other cat but he passed away before I thought to take a picture of him with his award. Anyway, that was Bernie. She was a highly decorated cat.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Nystral posted:

She looks majestic.

Can you blame her? Remember how proud you were to get your first Captain's Letter?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We had an RP that convinced the chaplain that no one liked him and he ended up moving his office to aft steering.

There's also the story of The Dead Man living in my berthing but that's a whole different thing

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

FrozenVent posted:

DO YOU WANT A PROBE? THIS IS HOW YOU GET A PROBE!

Put that motherfucker on restriction. Do it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Wibla posted:

Clancychat.

My father was Clancychat. Please, call me Ralphchat

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

MarcusSA posted:

Ordinary Seaman would be a pretty good username.

Assistant TO the ordinary seaman

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

titties posted:

Dang. That's what i get for enlisting before 9/11 i guess.

Alternatively sonar techs just don't command the same respect as nukes. Makes sense as its well known that sonar is a negligible part of subsurface operations

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa.

Everyone knows the only reason we even HAVE nukes is to push my sphere and pull my array.

"Push my sphere, pull my array"is also the title of my sex tape with your mom

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Mr. Nice! posted:

The LCS is such a god damned boondoggle.

Met a random former bubblehead sonar tech at a wedding last night. Hopefully he’ll follow up with a VSO like I recommended and get his claim going.

In 91 when I was stationed on BARNSTABLE COUNTY, the career counselor told me I didn't want to go to the submarine fleet because the LCS was coming and they wouldn't need subs anymore.

He was also responsible for losing my two requests to leave the ship and attend submarine school even when I passed the minimum time that you have to spend stationed on a ship before you can do that. I ran a request to talk to the captain about it and somehow magically the message was sent out the next day and not much longer after that I received my orders.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ded posted:

he was trying to do you a favor

Did you miss the part about being on an LST?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Xposting from the Lego thread since it is Navy related:

I got the parts in to build a small section of the hull of my new design for the sub. This part has the cross section that the dome will attachto/center on

Here it is side by side with the old design, for comparison

I grabbed the torpedo room I had started on, removed a few bricks and did some SNOT magic underneath it just to see what I need to do. Was very happy that it basically fits.

Overall very happy with the shape and size. I definitely need to figure out how to make it more module because it was hard enough getting it together with nothing in the middle. I have some ideas on what to do, but I really like the way it is looking now and I can't wait to keep designing it and making this happen.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Put the litter box in AMR and no one will know when it's time to clean it.

I am an old sailor so I don't know if the newfangled boats still use amine or have an Aux Machine Room or who moved my cheese

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

Because I'm not stuck on a motherfucking boat anymore, and I can do whatever the gently caress I want on weekends.

For now

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
1 - complain about the cold
2 - get told to buy a space heater
3 - get put on report for having a space heater in the barracks
4 - admin sep, no longer a Navy Problem

loving genius

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
99.9% of the time your fate is sealed well before your actual NJP.

Source: I "got to" attend every weekly legal brief and department head meeting at two large commands for a total of about 4 years.

The .1% that wasn't already set was an E8 that went to mast for a variety of fuckery involving a junior female sailor. The CO started the mast (All E7 and up at sub school were mandated to attend and there was me, the E6 DAPA which wasn't uncomfortable at all) by reminding the senior chief how many times they served together and how he hand picked him for a mission, blah blah blah. Then he asked how he pled and he said "not guilty".

Skipper slammed his book shut and stormed out while yelling that the case would be sent to court martial. Which ended poorly for old STS1 UsedToBeSeniorChief.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Everyone posting on this page, report for urinalysis.

I've had a medical card for 5 years or so. My sample would be literally on fire.

Edit: Warboi, is everything ok at home buddy?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I retired 13 years ago and I still have lovely stressful/anxiety dreams about my first command. All the rest of them as well, just depends what night.

I wish I could help you :(

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't worry bb I have the same ones, normally I'm leaving for a deployment but don't have anything onboard

Get the gently caress out of my head. Or I can't find berthing.

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

You should probe yourself for referring to a cover as a "hat" in the Navy thread.

E: probe reason in Navy Thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I used to call it a hat just to trigger the Khakis. Also the QMs/ETs HATED it when I called it a map. Didn't stop me though. gently caress the police.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's called PTSD, friend. Therapy will help you work through trauma. It worked great for me. I no longer have the dream where I bolt awake because I don't hear the ventilation and I'm sure I'm about to suffocate underwater. Also I can't find a set of coveralls with my name on them.

Therapy hasn't made my nightmares stop, but the THC capsule before bed has helped. And the Ambien helps most nights, unless I hear something and immediately snap to. Or if I think I hear something because audible hallucinations when I'm almost asleep are awful.

I also wake up when the power goes out because the ventilation has stopped. The only thing worse was after we bought a new lamp for the living room. Turns out, when the power comes back on, it turns on. So over night I woke up to all the sounds of poo poo tripping offline plus the added bonus of WHY THE gently caress IS THE LIGHT ON THE LIVING ROOM ON?

So that was new and awful. I'm glad your therapy worked and hopefully one day mine will too. Sucks having poo poo to talk about that you can't talk about :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I spent way too long trying to figure out if this was loss