Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I hope you put an e-cigarette up your rear end and the lithium battery catches fire while it's up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
That was a good story and all but the main thing I took from it is that you got more foreign port calls in one deployment than I've had in 15 years.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/09/20/navy-issues-new-sleep-and-watch-schedule-rules-for-the-surface-fleet/

... but I still don't see how they're going to let people sleep in their racks during the day regardless. This is going to meet a lot of resistance from the treefort, I think.

Every submarine has people sleeping in their racks during the day every day. What is so important during the day on a surface ship that you have to have everybody awake? I seriously can't think of any possible benefit to be gained from waking everybody up.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Chuckle posted:

So, might be spending some time in Bremerton, anyone have recommendations on what to hit up to eat?

Pouslbo:
Sound Brewery has bomb rear end beer and the best pizza in Kitsap County.
Aroy dy is cheap good Thai with a waterfront view. Cash only.
Burrata Bistro has real good Italian food.
The Loft has pretty good seafood and a great view.

Silverdale:
Silver City was mentioned. It's fine I guess. Their beers are pretty good. I prefer Hop Jack's if you're going for a burger/sandwich type place.
Seabeck Pizza is pretty good too.

Bremerton:
There's like a Sizzler and poo poo idk. Walk onto the ferry and go somewhere less lovely.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
What the gently caress, do you surface dudes not have contact management software or what?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

How do submarines not hit anything when the other ships are completely ignorant of their location 10ft below the waves?

same question, similar answer.

Seriously this entire conversation is like something out of the Twilight Zone for me. I have never actually seen a moboard used outside of Naval Science courses in ROTC. I haven't seen the physical sheets of paper that are used to do moboards onboard a submarine since roughly 2006, and even then they weren't actually used, they were just an interesting relic in an equipment locker next to the teletype paper and the other useless supplies that we never used but still carried because they hadn't ever been rev'd out of the pre-underways. When I asked about moboards out of curiosity on my last submarine, I was told you can't order them from the supply system anymore (a statement which based on this conversation appears to be of dubious truthfulness but seemed plausible enough at the time).

I legitimately can't think of a use for a moboard in a contact management setting. Sensors provide raw data to a centralized contact management system. An operator filters out bad data. The centralized system provides contact information (in intuitive, graphical form) to the OOD, the contact manager, the captain, whoever needs it. It does this for every contact simultaneously and it does it all in much less time than it would take an operator to dick around with a pen and paper in a darkened control room to get CPA information on a single contact.

Am I just missing something? Or has the surface fleet not yet caught up to advanced concepts like "filter out bad data" and "computers can work faster than humans"?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

Still, that may be an urban legend that I heard over and over with no official corroboration

The sonar dome was open during field day while the ship was at periscope depth but the ship rigged for high speed operations before going deep and fast

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
maybe I'm in the minority here but I feel like if I was an E-3 that just did some dumb mastable poo poo I would rather get 3 days bread and water versus 45/45 and half month's pay for two months

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Yeah I mean obviously there was something wrong on that boat and I'm sure if there was capricious use of captain's mast it didn't help. I felt like the article's tone was basically "the bread and water punishment is inherently wrong and shouldn't be used" though, which I can sort of see where they're coming from, but at the same time, it's on the books and within a CO's authority. If the problem is with the punishment existing in the first place the issue isn't the Shiloh or her captain, it's with the MCM.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I sort of feel bad for the helmsman who will probably blame himself for the rest of his life, but was obviously badly trained and probably qualified through an inadequate qual process.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LogicalFallacy posted:

though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

NO

DONT

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
One time when I was a DivO in the shipyard one of the nuke MMs in my duty section fell asleep on the way to work and drove his car into the ditch after having gone home from work at 1am that morning. He got taken to the hospital but was pretty much ok. I asked the MMC to send one of his guys to the hospital to check on the guy and then take him home. Instead he got a coner to go pick him up from the hospital and bring him to work so he could stand watch.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you value your personal well-being at all do not go nuke. No one here is exaggerating. It will be the worst mistake of your life. If you ignore everyone and go nuke anyway please bookmark this post so in a couple years you can punch yourself in the balls repeatedly for how stupid you were for not listening to the best advice you've ever heard.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
AECF is a pretty decent gig as far as enlisted jobs go.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

PneumonicBook posted:

This is a good idea.

Wtf why? Subs are not a great platform lol.

I really enjoyed my time in an SECF rating.

I enjoyed it so much I went STA-21

Now I'm a nuke officer.

gently caress.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Submarines aren't inherently a bad deal though they're certainly not for everyone.

Lots of people on subs like their jobs.

None of those people are nukes.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
lol suck it Academy nerds

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
We just need to build a bunch of small cheap ships really fast. They can be low quality since they'll be cheap and expendable and easily replaceable. Maybe they can specialize in littoral combat since that's a weakness of our blue navy fleet. As long as the procurement process works the way it's supposed to and people don't start tacking on tons of expensive features it should work great.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

Dunno why surface ships can't just do 6/6/6 like the subs do.

Circadian has been standard on subs for 4 or 5 years now. COs can still go 6's under special circumstances. We did 8-8-8 normally with 6-6-6-6 every other Sunday to rotate the sections. If watchstanders had to go port and starboard we'd do 8-4-4-8 for important watches or just 12-12 otherwise.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

You rotated circadian every week? That doesn't help much. By the time you start adjusting too a cycle you're rotated again.

As someone who has done multiple deployments 6-6-6, circadian weekly, and circadian biweekly, let me assure you that the improvement in quality of life going from 6-6-6 to circadian weekly is vastly greater than the improvement from circadian weekly to circadian biweekly.

Also as someone who did a deployment 4-section I highly recommend being overmanned.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

chief fundraisers are the biggest crock of poo poo. Buy your own god damned booze and quit getting junior sailors to pay for it.

I had a Master Chief get mad at me for posting on Facebook that CPO selectees get uniform allowances and that the car washes are for chief's ball.

"But they are"
"That's not the point"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

What is suppose to happen, per MCPON's Guidance, is that any money raised during the season/initiation/induction/CPO-365 Phase 2/whatever is to be used for events during it and for the Khaki Ball. Any remaining money is to be donated to charity and not held by the Mess.

That being said, who knows from Mess to Mess if that guidance is followed to a T.

As if it was possible for a chief's quarters to be unable to drink enough to spend all the booze money.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The Chiefs mess is the most useless, toxic organization you could possibly assemble out of a group of people who on an individual basis are often outstanding leaders and people.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I dunno how I feel about criminally charging officers for something short of deliberate misconduct, but if the standard of proof is that a "reasonably careful person" would have acted differently, I'm pretty sure I could go ask any random ET3 if he thought we should station the maneuvering watch for transiting the SOM and/or possibly look out the starboard side of the bridge occasionally and that 19 year old would probably make better decisions than those officers did.

I will also say that OODs ignoring COSOs isn't exactly exculpatory w/r/t the CO's responsibility for the collision. "I didn't know that we were going to be close to other ships (in some of the busiest shipping waters in the world) because the officers that I train and certify like to ignore my orders. My bad."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/958749502160195585

Guess they didn't just do the quick flyby but hung out close

Looks like they were communicating. Keeping up foreign relations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lou Takki posted:

Does anyone else get unreasonably pissed off that the commissary can't loving pay baggers an hourly wage?

Like gently caress off, bagging for tips is so hosed up.

It's kinda hosed up yeah but I also don't really mind since it helps the commissary be unbelievably cheap so Joe E-3 with his 2 kids can afford to eat and I can help make the whole scheme work by tipping the poo poo out of the nice Filipino ladies.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

boy are my arms tired posted:

wish i could study outside of a secret clearance required building though

The fact that you will never ever be expected to take your work home with you is one of the few legit good deals about being in the military.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
if the Navy really wants to improve recruiting they should just bring back prize ships

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Call everyone Shipmate without a hint of sarcasm

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

boy are my arms tired posted:

cool thanks

i was thinking whidbey was far enough away from seattle that it'd suck but i guess i was wrong

anything but dam neck tho

Whidbey is like 2 hrs each way to Seattle without traffic (haha as if "without traffic" is a thing that exists) so if being close to the city is important to you then yeah it will suck. But if you have any sort of outdoor hobbies it's pretty nice.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lou Takki posted:

Little creek base is pretty good for traffic compared to NOB.

getting punched in the face for no reason is pretty good compared to having your fingernails pried off with bamboo shanks

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Reminds me of another Vanity Fair article about the totally avoidable crash of Air France 447 in 2009. I made this one required reading for my students for a while.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elendil004 posted:

Would you hit him harder than someone who say, fell asleep on watch?

are we talking "shutdown reactor operator falls asleep alone in his chair at 0300 after doing maintenance until 2200" or "engine room rover leaves the engine room and goes to sleep in his rack while armed" here, because I've seen both and they're way different if your CO is worth a poo poo

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

Wait. Armed engine room rover?

Armed SRW was pretty standard for several years post-9/11.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

orange juche posted:

there's a lot of poo poo in a plant that reacts very badly to bullets.

mosht things, you could say

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Sailor is murdered. "gently caress that's awful. Imagine what his family must be going through."
Sailor commits suicide. "gently caress that's awful. Imagine how much GMT his command is going to get."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
It's not like the MCPON is going to do anything other than give public support to official Navy policies regardless of his personal beliefs.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Now we just have to stop changing uniforms and the Navy Times won't have anything left to write about.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you don't get enough answers over there, come back and we will be happy to give you 100% accurate observations regarding the Marine Corps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Two weeks of AT in glorious Bremerton.

The weather here is perfect.

I didn't have time to pack fishing poles. I wonder if the MWR rents.

Only registered members can see post attachments!