Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
When I lived in Chesapeake I used to just work 5-2 and traffic wasn't bad.

Your command's support of flexible work hours may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Non-military people really like the look of military uniforms. As a right thinking service member, I try to be in my uniform the least amount possible.

"Attention United passengers...we have a HERO onboard the aircraft with us today!"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Cerekk posted:

"Attention United passengers...we have a HERO onboard the aircraft with us today!"

(E-2 in service uniform grins smugly from first class seat that actual vietnam veteran gave him)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

One of our FC A school students got their smoke deck secured by offering his vape to a female to try the flavor, but neglected to mention that his juice was 50mg. She had a seizure right there. There's talk about getting him court marshalled lmao.

you can't court-martial someone for vaping; DADT was repealed years ago

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

piL posted:

Okinawa is still better than Guam.

Both are better than Diego Garcia

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My Port Royal story is the time they called us up on BTB to inform us they'd be "standing by to receive passing honors" even though a) submarines aren't required to participate in passing honors in the first place, and b) it turned out our CO was senior to theirs.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat tho free degree, full pay, growing a beard, wearing whatever, free school, and BAH sounds so dope

Maybe I don’t fully understand the details but meh

I did STA 21. You are about 90% integrated with a NROTC unit so uniforms and grooming are still a thing. The rest is true, and great.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I mean even in the fleet, a captain calling people retards or faggots is going to end up on the front page of Navy Times soon enough. Just because MM2 and MM3 say it to each other on the boat without consequences doesn't mean it's acceptable or that there wouldn't be consequences if the wrong person heard them.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
lol @ "nuclear engineer" in the Navy. FYI we don't have any of those. What "engineers" we do have are called that in the olde tyme sense that they work on the engines. The actual engineers work for Bechtel.

Does she have a good GPA and a degree in a "hard" engineering discipline like nuclear, mechanical, aero? She can get a much better job outside the military.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This. Guy I grew up with went to Clemson and became a "Qualified Naval Nuclear Engineer" (his LinkedIn description) JO on the Virginia.

He's working for a conservative think tank at the moment...doing everything *but* making use of all that 'valuable' knowledge.

This actually is a thing in that he has a certification with (more or less) that title on it, but it's "engineer" in the sense of "in charge of the engines," not what any reasonable person outside the Navy actually thinks of when they hear "engineer."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mister Roberts is the best SWO movie ever made.

excuse me sir don't you dare disparage the cinematic masterpiece BATTLESHIP

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

Why do those SA-20s only tilt 45 degrees?

Why are they always playing active sonar sounds?

Why when they take a 20 down does it look like the cast is literally just bending their knees and trying to lean back without falling?

Why does a Virginia have an ASDS on its back?

Someone keep going

"ship ready" is supposed to come after "solution ready" smdh can't even enjoy the movie now

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Red Wing 4473s are the poo poo and look close enough to regulation that you should be good unless someone at your command is a tremendous dickhole for no reason

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Anybody find some brown NWU boots that work with wide-rear end feet? I normally wear a 4E and Belleville/Bates/Rocky all only go up to 2E.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

King of Bees posted:

Did you try the Rocky 2E? Rocky's to me have always run wide to begin with. I wear the 2 comfortably but usually need a wider size in other brands.

I haven't been able to find them in a physical store to try on, but this is useful info before I blind-order a $250 boot

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Where you should actually be posting instead of here if there's an actual command cover-up of negligence and/or criminal behavior

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Guess who has tickets to the on-base sneak preview showing of Hunter Killer this Saturday.

Apparently Gerard Butler and the director are both gonna be there.

I hope the movie is as good as Battleship.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

orange juche posted:

What the gently caress does an fc even crossrate to?

FT. Lots of available tomahawk billets in the submarine force!

Or you could crossrate to GM so you can take guns apart without getting in trouble.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

But the best breakfast is half a mile down the beach at Dukes Canoe club!

The best value breakfast is at the base bowling alley

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
There have been women on submarines for like seven years now, Virginias for five years, female enlisted for three years. You put a reversible male/female sign on the shower doors and you don't go in the changing space if there's someone else in there. You require everyone to wear a t-shirt and shorts at minimum when they leave their berthing space. That's it. All modesty problems are now solved. Even on an all-male sub there's really no reason to ever see anyone else in less than a t-shirt and shorts outside of your berthing space. This is like #87 on the list of most difficult problems facing the submarine force.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 11, 2018

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

BedBuglet posted:

There's a world of difference between female officers and female enlisted and a world of difference between life on a boomer and life on a fast attack. To be clear, I'm not arguing against women on subs. I think they absolutely should be. I know some of those women. I'm saying that a reversible sign and segregated berthing spaces don't magically solve those problems. In those years there's already been issues, those numbnuts on the Wyoming being one of the ones that actually got reported on. There's been others that never made it past the CO. If the Navy is serious about fully integrating subs, I think they need to be better prepared to handle these situations than they have been. *shrugs*

The Wyoming incident was hardly a problem with women on submarines, it was a problem with criminal behavior by men on submarines.

The modesty challenges are already solved and it wasn't hard. Everything else is discipline and professionalism. The fast attacks will find they are still able to operate effectively despite the arduous burden of no longer being able to wander the engine room in a cock sock.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
"LTJGs don't follow the standing orders" is like 10% a LTJG problem and 90% a command leadership problem

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ManMythLegend posted:

We'll I'm glad that if you were going to crash a ship you had the decency to not make it mine.

C'mon everybody knows that if you run over some tiny rear end boat and kill everyone while doing basically no damage to your own ship, you just retire with full pay and benefits and then make some more money writing a book about it that puts all the blame on your crew.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Uh there was basically no significant firefighting on the Cole, it was all flooding. There was on the Forrestal though. And the Enterprise. And the Samuel B Roberts. And the Stark. And the Bonefish. And the Miami. And the George Washington.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Yeah a submarine under the polar ice has a pleasantly chilly upper engine room and a cold rear end lower engine room with condensation and icicles everywhere

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
tattoos above the ear are in violation of uniform policy

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Madurai posted:

Wait, what? They'd changed the jack (at some time over the last 25 years)?

I think it was immediately post-9/11 but it was high time to go back given that the snake flag has become popular among the sort of people who would really prefer to fly a swastika but don't think they can get away with it

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
JUST LET PEOPLE WEAR THEIR COVERALLS TO AND FROM WORK LIKE WE DID FOR DECADES BEFORE THEY BANNED IT JESUS CHRIST HOW ARE THE BRASS SO loving STUPID

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I swear if you went to the most average ship in the Navy and pulled the most average O-3 and E-5 and made them the CNO and MCPON for a month we would solve 90% of the stupid rear end problems that we flail around uselessly spending millions of dollars on while passing up the obvious solutions with no downsides.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lou Takki posted:

All the vending machines would be full of dip and smokes.

Change of command ceremonies would be O-4 and up only.

Every divisional LPO gets to eject one shitbag member of their division from the ship yearly. (Via catapult if possible)

I see two really awesome ideas here and one that I'm not a huge fan of but that wouldn't really hurt anything, so sure. See, already an improvement on the current leadership!

I estimate a savings to our sailors of $25,000 per change of command for a destroyer-sized command by not having to update medals and dry clean dress uniforms, and the only downside is some O-5 doesn't get his dick stroked quite as hard. Lou Taki #1 EP! Promote Now!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Al Capwn posted:

I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?

If you're willing to be a dirtbag about it? Sure. Develop some medical problems or family issues.

Otherwise just keep quiet about your plans to not reenlist for as long as possible. Going to TGPS under the radar is probably impossible so delay that as long as possible. That should buy you a few months until you have to drop chits for TGPS and to match PRD with EAOS. Before you drop those chits, get some strategically spaced-out leave periods approved for dates leading up to when you're separating. Meanwhile do your job as well as possible, and maybe pick up an important collateral duty. The best way to avoid being sent away is to be useful where you are.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Chief initiation season is when the chiefs spend a month proving that the ship continues to run perfectly fine without any chiefs doing any work at all.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Madurai posted:

It's essentially what happened to the Comanche, too--feature creep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Vriess posted:

Some Nuke ET3 in Prototype School is a highly notable member in one of the strongest multinational fascist groups in the world, and put enough information about himself on discord that people were able to put things together.

https://haleyvilleara.blackblogs.org/2019/04/08/identity-evropa-member-south-dakota-farmer-der-seeteufel-aka-andrew-wietgrefe/

thanks for linking me to a doxxing blog, I'm sure this won't give me weird search results for months

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Is your car loan interest rate in the single digits? Congratulations, you're a better source of financial advice than half the people that work at your command.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

A SOF Marine posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Sabaidee on 6th, across the street from 7-Eleven, and if you can stomach the drive/the people Sawatdy on Bainbridge for Thai options. Family’s is good. Bahn Thai should be avoided.

Nattamit is probably the best, but has really weird hours. Over by Kaiser/Costco/Chuck E. Cheese is Jade Garden, J:oa, Aloha Kitchen, and Seoul Korean BBQ.

I love the Korean place, definitely a good place for a crowd.

Seattle is its own entity altogether and the world is your oyster over there. The shipyard sucks, and if you limit yourself to NBK, you’re hosed. But there are some bright stars nearby that make it more bearable.

The best food on NBK is the breakfast burritos at the TTF cafe but they're usually gone by 7:30.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

A SOF Marine posted:

If you’re looking to secure your place on the guillotine list there’s always Daniel’s Broiler in SLU or Canlis. I don’t think Daniel’s has a dress code, but Canlis does. For less insane prices, but good food there’s Steelhead Diner or The Pink Door as well.

I always found it amusing that Canlis has a dress code, considering that even the orchestra and the opera don't have a dress code in Seattle.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Why can't the aviators just stick to drawing sky penises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Doesn't the whole Cyclone class do crew swapping?