Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
what is the real name of the Boat Coat?
I always just called it a Boat Coat cause it was like a utility jacket but it was blue and for some mysterious reason lost in the fog of time, you were literally only allowed to wear them on the boat. Usually they'd have a stencil of the div or wc or whatever on the back
That's the one I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The Maxwell St food court in Singapore's Chinatown is what I think of when I need a "happy place"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
nice try commie

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, probably just smelled like sailor piss

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Ok... so just gonna say here comes the candid tiredbrainposting: but ffs the “noble” label always rubbed me wrong (and yes i fell for classic trollbait trying to validate on the interwebs earlier i get that)... it’s just that i have yet to meet any officer or enlisted that grew up poorer so yeah, “noble” is a trigger and yeah constantly been living the life of trying to prove poo poo... hell, even my folks working for me that i called up west african embassies and wrote letters of recommendation to help them get their spouses approved to move here grew up with more wealth than my dirtpoor fam. so sure next time i get the urge to try to slide into a goon thread with the ultimate plan of eventually opening up as a resource for some of our at risk sailors i’ll promptly stfu instead.

Yes m'lord, sorry to offend m'lord, won't forget how bad m'lord has had it, always been quite kind to us down here

*bows deeply at waist, shuffling backwards out of officer country*
*wearing "salt and peppers" while working as a waiter in the wardroom*

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
That's the one at the airport in Naples. Capodichino, IT

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

Going to spend the weekend getting lost on the coast.

Capri was overrated to me, but Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are super beautiful. I really liked the sites of ruins at both Pompeii and Ercolano.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, agreed. Plus, that neighborhood by the water there, Portici, is a great place for spaghetti and clams restaurants

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
just in case
Herculaneum:Latin::Ercolano:Italian

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Haha yeah wasn't sure if you had figured that out or if you were just calling it by the Latin to be cool

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
drat that sounds way better, you got a picture of that thing?

I saw a male stripper a couple of weeks ago dressed as a cowboy and when he tossed his black duster on the stage in front of me I noticed the tag and saw it that sorry black raincoat they gave you with utilities I could not stop laughing

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s almost identical but it has no pockets on the arms. The fleece zips in too. Can be used with civilian clothes if you take off the rank. Very nice piece of kit.

Of course I just noticed the tag.

that's pretty sweet, what do they go for?

My favorite goretex will always and forever be my good BDU one but I just can't bring myself to wear camo in public

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CMD598 posted:

Re: parka: Sounds like a new flight deck jacket.

In the end, we all know the superior outerwear is the Boat Coat, preferably with a fat stencil on the back of the command you stole it from

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Godholio posted:

I get a kick out of the unit patches the Navy lets you sew on flight jackets...legit wish the AF did that. Saw a Growler dude with a cruise patch that said "We traveled 6000 miles to give you our SEAD" and I almost laughed in the briefing.

The actual leather flight jacket would be really tough to steal from the Navy, (each indivually accounted for and specially documented by NAS Jax supply) but agree they're pretty badass. Those shiny green nylon-y ones are pretty easy to come by, though. Lol I used to have a suppo that would rock one around

PS, you're a civilian. Sew any patches on any jacket you want who gaf what the AF says

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

super tight

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I have a Saudi onwing right now who is better than many American students I’ve had. In fact, as much as I hate to deal with their language barrier, the ones I’ve flown with at Whiting have been by and large better than average, very respectful, and down to earth (I always jokingly ask if they are Princes and every one has come back adamantly that they aren’t).

Lots of Saudis in my undergrad program, and they are almost all exceptional students and a few of them that I knew personally were super cool heavy weedheads

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

The Saudis I've taught have been, amazingly, both good and bad students, almost as if their nationality doesn't matter, and they're individual people.

Crazy I know.

lol yeah

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yo crab dad the tech bubble thread in yospos is discussing just how many crabs a man could actually eat.

I could probably do a dozen blue crabs in one sitting np, but I grew up in the eastern shore of MD which makes me a man with a very particular set of skills

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

Hey guys, you're supposed to be provided with a hard copy DD 214 upon separation, not just be emailed a copy, yeah? Is being told it will be emailed to me just another instance of my admin LPO telling me lies/is this stuff covered anywhere other than BUPERSINST 1900.8E? Just covering my bases, since I sent the admin all hands an email essentially saying the LPO is bad at his job.

I got a real blue stamped original of mine from some office at the base PSD or whatever the hell they call it

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What're y'alls recommendations for restaurants in San Diego? I'm a San Diegan but I'm interested in what others think about them.

First, a caveat of I haven't been to SD in about 5 years, now

Tacos El Gordo
Hodad's
Pomegranate
The Mission
Pizzeria Luigi
Loving Hut

Names I can't remember:
the pho place across the street from the mission valley target
the sushi place in liberty station

I'd like to close by saying that Phil's BBQ and anyone who likes it can blow me

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 7, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bengy81 posted:

That's a pretty solid list, but I would like to emphasis how loving good Tacos El Gordo is. It's marginally expensive for the kind of taco place it is, but holy gently caress, you can't beat it.

Yeah, I didn't intend for the list to be in any specific order, but there's a good reason Tacos El Gordo is the very first place I think of if I'm trying to name good restaurants in San Diego

Edit: forgot the Point Loma Seafood market

Edit 2: I'm ashamed of forgetting these:

Tita's Kitchenette! So hard to find Filipino food outside of San Diego and Honolulu

Also, Royal Mandarin or Golden Chopstick for salt and pepper chicken wings, which is the #1 best fried chicken in San Diego, even though the rest of the food at those places are just standard American-Chinese takeout

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 7, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

Have my DD-214. Definitely wish I had joined the French Legion, but big ups to everyone who is contributing to the Navy's mission. This work is critical and I wish I had seen a little of what it's really all about. Namaste.

Grats buddy
Been quite a journey

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Seabees do shoot ancient carry handle-equipped M16's but your average Seabee would swallow his giant lip full of copenhagen when his 250 lb bulk hit the deck if he tried fastroping

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Like many other things, I do not, and will not ever, miss the morning commute to base.

Three carriers in port at North Island and sitting in dead stopped traffic on the Coronado bridge at 630 am weeping and howling in impotent rage mm mmm

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My version of that was some chief furiously insisting that my flight deck boots were not uniform for wear anywhere outside of the boat or flight line as I calmly pointed out that they are 8 inch tall black all leather lace up boots as the uniform regs required at the time

I was being disrespectful, you see

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CMD598 posted:

Wat

Who the gently caress

I had come to expect arbitrary shittiness from stranger Chiefs by that point in my enlistment. The really insulting part of the whole affair was my own chief getting a call from that guy and then solemnly telling me to give them three bags full even if I was absolutely in the right

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Why the gently caress am I participating in an organization that give so little a gently caress about people? I’m on the verge of ripping up my special program package lest I do a few months more obliserve more otherwise. I’m four years in and it just never gets better because people just have to be a lovely and petty as possible.

I just want out so I can be with my family 4000 miles away and to work somewhere that at least pretends like it gives a poo poo.

Unfortunately, your work will probably never even pretend to give a poo poo, but being far away from any military base and spitting at the very mention of the world's finest navy while you bank vet's bennies is really cool and good

I'm sorry for your loss and your divo sucks poo poo

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nick Soapdish posted:

Too bad no M9 questions on your exam though

Hahaha

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
When I was at 6th Fleet, I'm pretty sure deck and engineering was all done by civilians on Mt Whitney

Not sure if Blue Ridge was run the same way though

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If you want to be in the United States Navy, except more, you deserve anything you get

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Mt Whitney is in Gaeta, a little beach town halfway between Naples and Rome. Much nicer than Naples, if small and with "less to do." In spite of being closer to Rome, it might take a little longer to get there by train than from Naples bc you can only catch the slow local train rather than the faster IC and bullet train

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Oh, then I have no idea where you're going either lol good luck buddy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Wingnut Ninja posted:

When sequestration ate our 2013 deployment my buddy made a "local force for good" CONUS deployment patch for the air wing.

Lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
super cute as long as there's actually some cool memorabilia and not just a bunch of paracord handled toy canoe paddles

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'ma need all the contractors out of this thread. This is a ship's force thread, now. Seriously, gently caress you get out I don't care about what your job is or what paygrade equivalent or even how many years of salt crust you have yourself. The coffee is provided for the E-3. He has to do the same cruise as you, but chiefs around him poo poo on every dimension of his quality of life for anything down to and including his haircut and the shine of his shoes, and for $2k a month plus $50 sea pay. You get fat stacks and the idiot bluejackets and chiefs and officers retired or otherwise just kind of annoy you and frustrate your work.

Have your overlords at BAE or Raytheon or whatever war profiteering goblin den you spawned from send you a kcup machine if you need some so bad.

Carry on!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Lou Takki posted:

E: guys I don't think this was a serious post, right?

even I can't tell half the time

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

M_Gargantua posted:

If anything your controversial opinions are too moderate. Most of this thread seems like they might would be happy with spartan kicking lovely admiralty off a flight deck.

I don't see why that would be necessary when there are steam powered catapults

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CMD598 posted:

So glad I saved this.

:perfect:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

I wonder what he thinks of Army SF and the frogmen upholding the standard of growing hobo beards and mullets on their deployment and surviving combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Should be a few miles further out and needs the rest of the chiefs, but it's a start