Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hekk posted:

Good on that sailor for standing up for themselves but holy gently caress I can’t believe he wrote all of that out. I know the marines are different but that’d lose you rank in an NJP regardless of how loving stupid your SNCO is.

Probably would in the Navy, too! When I was in, basically any kind of response could be "disrespectful" if your chief was a whiner about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Thinking now about getting shipmated by some random chief for my haircut, and when I said "aye-aye, chief" to him his face went beet red, convinced I was cracking wise with him. He wanted to know why I would say that instead of just, "yes". Because they taught me to say that in boot camp?
So he made me stand there at attention on the street in front of the NEX while he tried to call my chief. Never got through for whatever reason, had to just radiate chiefly malice at me while I bowed and scraped my way out of there

Lol get divorced again bitch

^^^^ that last line goes for every chief even air force e9s reading this gently caress you too smdftb

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

MFU juniors are making decent money and have a decent union with similar stuff to officers, own room with bathroom, tv, fridge, etc. If you move up to electrician or reefer you're basically making 2nds pay, around $800/day I think but I think the pension is nonexistent and the vacation isn't as good.

I'm not going to say dont go MSC but just be very aware of what it is. The 3rd on there for 2 years should go home with $700k+ but some money just isn't worth it. There are the RRF ships which mostly sit around at the dock on 5 day notice and those are really nice if you live close cause they are under DoT until the second they get activated so most of the time they have less DoN bullshit.

That buddy on that govt boat told me about the SIU entry level apprenticeship, so it's something I'd had in my back pocket. I had no idea about MFU, but it turns out I am close to their hiring hall and in person is the only way you can apply at the entry level -- good to know! So thanks for this post.

FWIW, the "government boat" my buddy works on is in a pretty different mission set, not military related really. Those folks were telling me that they're always needing electronics people, so getting myself ready to apply when their job listings post in October is my big project for the year. I'm on semester 2 of 4 of an electronics associate's at my local community college, but I can matriculate for a "Basic Electronics" vocational certificate after this fall. I have had amateur radio privileges since even before I ever started taking my night school in electronics, so I think studying on my own for the GROL later this year is a pretty reasonable goal as well. That's a good start I reckon, but I think it unlikely that they'll hire me on as an E-Tech without any experience (old job listings show that they'll technically hire Electronics Tech at Wiper but prefer QMED-Electrician). They do hire for other roles at the entry level -- specifically, hydrographic survey work, which I am a little more qualified for already from an educational standpoint. It's a considerably smaller salary, but I think I could probably move towards Chief Electronics Dude from within the organization if I worked as a mission tech at the OS/Wiper level first. I have to admit my goals and plans are still a bit foggy, but I may ask y'all for more advice on this stuff later.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

At sea? It was a different story, I had to help drag an FT1 off our COB after the COB told him he wouldn't be let off the boat for his 5 year old daughter's funeral* and to "suck it up, buttercup"

aye aye chief, have a fine navy day *turns smartly and cheerfully to assigned tasks*

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Of course not all chiefs are bastards, so it's mostly joking on my end. I shouldn't say gently caress all chiefs, we had a guy do a drunk thing and get extra duty, and our chief made sure to take him for a bunch of extra duty days. He did a lot of dumb makework stuff ofc, but our chief was also like shooting basketball with him and I think genuinely trying to see if he could help or life coach the guy up a bit. He was cool. My chief on my shore duty ran a lot of cover to make sure all of us could take as much leave and liberty as we could, which was also dope. My lcpo on first deployment was a bona fide old school operator type and he was maybe one of the coolest dudes I ever met to this day.

But it's an imperial war machine, unfortunately. What can you say, it's a pretty toxic work environment most of the time. The jerks are definitely out there and the navy definitely has that reputation for a good reason. Quite a few of my year group are chiefs now and they don't usually have a lot nice to say about their colleagues lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
crab dad, fast cruise

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

Unlimited power

does this mean you have upgraded to your final form? pretty tight

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

A.o.D. posted:

If only they made smaller, more sedentary dogs that enjoyed enclosed spaces like boxes. Maybe a different animal altogether, one with an ancient naval tradition behind it.

goat? :chiefsay:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

shhh

they'll find out about our plans to imprison gip posters on a goonboat as the next marine thread prank

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was on Atsugi for a couple of months and being under Japan Navy rule was pretty terrible at the time but the chow hall was pretty good. There was like a western side and then an asian food side (lunch on weekdays only) that had a particular menu for a given day of the week, like Tuesdays were curry rice and Wednesdays were ramen or something like that. They always had a Filipino soup of the day like arrozcaldo or tinola that were pretty amazing in my recollection. I didn't make it over there often bc our hangar where maint dept worked was like right across from the flight line galley. I also made some of the best friends I had my whole time in the service at that command. I have many complaints about curfews and my old squadron but Atsugi itself didn't seem that bad, but I think I have probably also memory-holed everything except the most positive experiences since I had a series of major depressive breakdowns and got shitcanned from the navy about a year later.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

serious rage issues and ability to go from calm to screaming at 30+ junior troops with dissapointed dad anger in a split second.

Smdh you could have made a great Chief

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I assume the submersible was supposed to surface by using ballast? So assuming there is a ballast issue, what was the redundant method they have? Or was redundancy in that impractical?

Their ballast was a bunch of iron pipe they found abandoned at some construction site, and the system was engaged by having everyone onboard sit on one side so they would list enough to roll the pipes off their hooks. These were not redundancy people

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

They claimed to have 7 redundant systems for ballast (5 in the people tank and 2 on either side of the sub)

yeah, 7 ballast systems: 3 pipes and 4 sandbags

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
hopefully he got service connected for the missing kidney

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

FrozenVent posted:

Just disassemble the ship, how long can it take? Watch, watch and a half?

lollll

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Grip it and rip it posted:

After all the horror stories I heard I never used one. gently caress the navy and gently caress a government travel card

Same. When my last command forced me to have one, I returned it to them in the same envelope it was mailed to me when I checked out. I am not carrying that cursed thing around, lady

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

krispykremessuck posted:

“The at the counter was sketchy as hell, and I didn’t want him to clock me as a mil member for opsec reasons”

Beautiful. Poetic, even. The leadership will never be allowed to give up the kayfabe on how dumb this is, they will have no choice but to sigh and shrug bc of the expectations on their end that you adhere to the opsec ritual

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

People wonder why I'm so uptight.

nah, it's not uptight, your attitude is appropriate. "Male-dominated" career means it's full of disgusting creeps and we need more men taking and assigning accountability to change the way men act towards women.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad posted:

Pray what tell is a honchrat?

The Honch is the american alley in Yokosuka

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Per some responses, they upgraded it to a NAM a few years ago. Which is the same medal Kennedy got for doing the same thing.

ackshually JFK got a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, it's a little bigger than a NAM

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

I might be using the wrong acronym because I know fuckall about navy medals.

This guy also got a Navy and Marine Corps Medal

Oh, yeah, NAM usu refers to Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal. More or less equivalent to an AAM as A.o.D. posted

Navy and Marine Medal is the highest non-combat valor decoration, they're pretty rare

Edit: like a Soldier's Medal, maybe?

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 6, 2023

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

I prefer Skinny Man on a Vriginia* on a fog*HOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK*

"Skinny Man", a 24 man berthing, so called because it's so narrow that my shoulders do not fit straight between the racks, and have to leave to turn to face the other way, and has special panels to stick firehoses in, because you can't fit safely in an SCBA, is where Control would be on an '88, directly below, and directly aft the bridge access hatch, so on foggy, surfaced, days you get blasted by the ship's whistle every few minutes, especially the fwd racks. I think this is why my ears are ringing, sitting in a dead silent house posting

E: EAB markers for scale

lol yep feel free to call me a skimmer puke idgaf

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can not remember now why I was in the Norfolk Naval Complex Zone of Despair, but remember I had to pick up a prescription while I was there at the Portsmouth Naval Hospital and the pharmacy tech, an HM1, seized my CAC. The outermost layer of clear plastic was ragged and peeling from sliding it in and out of my wallet, which he said was evidence that I had tampered with it. He made me wait there until an MA arrived, who gave it a quick glance front and back, told me to get a new one, and handed it back to me and then turned and left. The HM1 gave me an admonishment about my attitude before ordering one of his corpsmen to dispense my medication

Edit: I wish I had some nice memory of Norfolk, but the whole place is bad vibes for me

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 26, 2023

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
quote is not edit

Sorry bout your cool chief mr bad guy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Edit: nvm turns out I was totally wrong

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 14, 2023

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Fiye posted:

Low key just reminded me that I recently did a trip back to norfolk because go figure most of the trans folks I’ve met online are from the Hampton roads area.

Place looks amazing when you’re not in the navy

I recently had to go to Norfolk for a week to onboard for a new job. I was really surprised: it's a way nicer place when you're not in the Navy. I was last there in maybe 2011? It's possible it's changed quite a bit in that time as well. Place I was visiting was in a much nicer part of town than NOB, kinda historic Ghent type zone and also didn't have to sit in any gate traffic which really helped

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad posted:

I got a high school friend who married a girl almost 20 years younger than him and she joined the coast guard and he went back to JC….

Haven’t talked to him in over a year. I honestly don’t know what to say.

"congratulations"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well I don't know about "omelette", but that was a tasty pile of fried rice with a thin layer of egg draped over the top.

wow more rice than could fit in the omelette

homie hooked u up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

He flew a flag with an outline of professional wrestler The Ultimate Warrior's eye makeup on it, also bought us all PT shirts with that design. He was a weird dude.

lol this rules