Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A warrant friend of mine was recently told that "women dress the way they do because they want attention" and that women are fine with topless beaches so it's hypocritical to complain when men stare at thier tits.

Why yes this was a certified SHARP instructor.

Let's be honest here. If I walked around with one nut out it'd be hypocritical of me to complain if people kept looking. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

One of the kids in the company shattered his femur in 3 places. His sister bought him a wheelchair to help him get around. His platoon SGT took it away and locked it up in the platoon office because his profile does not say he needs a wheelchair.....

What a loving dick move. Kid has a loving broke leg. Who cares?!?

Tell him his sister/mother should complain to the commander.

many moons ago when I was a CO I fielded phone calls (and even in person visits) from enraged mothers/family members all the time.

If the CO isn't some kind of crazy person he probably has no idea this crap is going on and it would make him angry if he did.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

E: bonus points if the family member "doesn't know any better" and calls the post headquarters or post chaplain or something.

"Hmmm, (looks at sign on door of building 1) garrison commander. This is probably the right person to talk to."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

What I've learned from all this, largely, is that DA civilians give absolutely no fucks whatsoever. Someone in uniform will go out of their way to help.

Which is kind of counter to my previous experience, now that I think about it.

Officers who make it to that level are usually true believers. That is a good thing sometimes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TBeats posted:

A IS FOR ARMAAAYYYYYY

A is for airborne you little piece of poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

They say that in the Army, the chow is mighty fine

Hey there Josaphine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

Is that a cadence? I'm not familiar with it. It must be an old persons cadence

Yeah, they don't let us sing about sluts we banged on the poor side of town anymore. :sadface:

*edit* Can't even wish to be a dump truck anymore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

poo poo like this is half the reason fraternization rules changed a few years back.

No. The rules changed because the secret cabal of senior NCO's were super pissed that all the really hot enlisted females were only loving Officers. :colbert:

I know this for a FACT. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can someone do a quick summary and tell me what changed from when I got out (2004) to being in now ITYOOL 2017?

Yall need to check emails?!

I'd love to spend a week following a soldier around just to see what life is like.

I was in May 2000 to May 2004. 95B, Pre 9/11 Army was the best Army, I know there are some fellow old farts out there besides me

Transgender stuff is hot right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

So I got 54th Combat Engineer Battalion as my sub unit in 173rd, and am about to get some sort of cool award at the end of AIT. FTX was cool, and soon I'm off to airborne school. And my best battlebro got Italy, too!

I'm really enjoying the Army!
However I broke my fibia on my right side, so gotta hope it won't give in at the airborne school.

I would've preferred infantry or scouts, but atleast BEB is not BSB or HQ Company.

The four dudes who got flight medic spots before me deserved them. Two regular flight medics, two SOAR candidates. All four really badass dudes and dudettes, one of them being the first female SOAR Medic Candidate that I have a privilege to call as friend. All honestly better picks than me.

Please get, and retain, printed records of all your injuries. You are an invincible superman, but many years from now, the older you will be glad you have that stuff.

*fake edit* DO NOT assume that the digital record of anything will be around. I have personally watched entire swathes of Soldier data completely erased forever due to programming mistakes in server updates. PRINT. THAT. poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

Forums Poster MLMP08 who vehemently for years told me to not enlist has ensured that I've already done all that. But I do appreciate it. I got a folder of my medical papers, plus I've uploded them to my G Drive.

Make copies and send it to your parents to keep for you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I wish I could go back to when I thought a coin, COA, or AAM was a cool award

I make some pretty boss COA though. Like, I use the good paper and everything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just realized it's been ten years since I was last in Iraq. And I thought we were losing then.

So how many generations until we pull out?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just another year and we'll have Soldiers fighting in a war that was going on before they were born.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

We're reaching the point where father and son will have stayed at the same FOB in the same war

That's already happened. Heck, I know a granddad, father, son trio that all deployed.

And when I deployed last we had one of the staff officer's daughters working in one of the other staff sections.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

Good Army day. State reached out to me regarding my PDHRA mental health portion just to check in on me, and followed up with the resources I requested, so that I can get counseling and therapy for cheap/free.

:unsmith:

Was that Active Army, or Guard Army?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Do GOs still tell LTs that being a PL is the best part of the entire Army?

That was always a depressing pep-talk.

lol. Everyone knows that BN command is the best thing in the Army. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Back when I was a PL some random general showed up to some platoon level training and gave a pretty cool speech (he told a vietnam story or something) and I gave him one of our platoon coins (one of my Soldiers designed it and one of my sgts had a connection in korea to have them made, I paid for them) and he got all misty and said he hadn't been given a coin in like 15 years. :shrug: Welp, that's my PL/GO story for today.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I got my 90 Day School Drop denied today because of "needs of the Army" yayyy!!! And apparently even though the 90 day school drop is under officer separations it's irrelevant if you are under an ADSO so like what makes it different from a regular REFRAD??

So now I lose my massive non-deferrable scholarship yayyyyyy!!!!

gently caress everything.

Calm thyself, man.

Have you spoken with your commander? Have you spoken with the S/G-1? They might be able to contact HRC on your behalf (or just let you do it) and talk with the little blue haired lady who literally has the authority to re-write the bible.

*edit* also, read the regs/policies regarding your situation. If they are not following them, it happens, you can contact the IG.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 30, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dudes got some DSLs

It checks out. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Any of you guys working in intel see the Susan Rice thing? Any one of us would probably be facing prison for that (releasing of intel gathered on U.S. persons + their names).

Sheesh.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

She didn't release anything, she asked if some names could be unmasked and there's no indication that the requests were approved. Big difference.

Was it approved? Or ignored completely? This came up in a discussion today at work.

Whoever let out Flynn's name is screwed, right?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I also don't give a single gently caress about getting any medals.

:lol:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

These three old ladies were with a big group of people welcoming troops and all that poo poo. They took me and some other guys out to dinner so we weren't stuck in the hotel and bought us food and booze.

Did you get laid? :smuggo:

Mike-o posted:

gently caress, even with my stupid family it's just empty platitudes, like I'm kind of cutting off contact with my family right now because of I'm just loving tired of their poo poo, I laid it all out to my aunt about all the poo poo, especially how my family didn't even bother to mail me letters or try to call me while I was deployed

Same thing bro. I've been deployed a bunch and never heard from any of mine. I don't really care because I didn't write/call any of them either. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Seriously though I was wondering why I was hearing so many blackhawks flying around tonight. I hear one right now in fact.

You can hear the choppers coming?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TBeats posted:

So what's gonna be Cold War 2's Vietnam?

Vietnam War 2 will be no joke.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just a reminder: If you have a DD-214, and have anything wrong with you from service, file your VA claim.

If you need help, just ask.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

J. F. C.

"Oh man my drill sergeants were insane! One of them knife handed a private one day!! LOL!"

One time, in basic training, I forgot my cover and walked outside. Oh boy did this one drill sgt yell at me!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You guys watching the news?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-may-launch-strike-if-north-korea-reaches-nuclear-n746366

Guys in the IRR like:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I'm starting to realize why everyone in the Army has a drinking problem

Wait...we're allowed to drink?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

roger that battle buddy

Get with the times. It's "warrior companion" now. :smuggo:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pay attention. These are the dudes we're going to be suplexing in a little while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q901s3wcNSU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

Fighting friend.

I'm stealing this! *furiously begins drafting policy letter*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not caring here posted:

Just assume anything that has grunt, an MOS of any kind, or any other military marketing buzzword in it is just trash poo poo for trash people.

Yeah sure there might be an exception but I'm not wasting my time searching through the dung pile for a golden needle that may not even exist.

I did have to have this shirt though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Yeah some of their poo poo is moto dumb poo poo but it seems like most of it is tongue in cheek.

And it could have something to do with wanting money. Yes, it's dumb to us jaded buttheads, but it's $$ when fresh graduates of basic buy it all up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Woof Blitzer posted:

All those shirts look gay as gently caress

You would know. :smuggo:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

watching loving anime

You had me. Then you lost me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

there's no such thing as a true war story

If there's only one survivor, then there's only one story. :colbert:

That's kinda like the truth.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

You'd think, but Lone Survivor proves otherwise

That's only because Luttrell couldn't keep his own story straight.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trump has removed the sunset clause from the Veteran's Choice Act. This is very good.

Like, it's terrific. Now, if the VA can't see you/take care of you quickly, you get to go to a place that can. It also gets used if the VA place is too far away (you get a place closer to you).

I personally am in the choice program and get rehab at one of the best facilities in my state (sports stars go there for rehab). All on uncle sam's nickel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

Hey dudes who've had the pleasure of taking care of a smokey bear hat or other flat brimmed battle fedora. What's the best way of getting the brim flat.

I have taken step one of not giving a gently caress but at some point I should make sure it doesn't catch attention. Ironing it through a teatowel got the bend out of it but it's kinda up and down a bit around the edge.

Find a local western wear store. They have a machine that presses them.