Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Gimmick account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I had a very smart, very bitter major who was sort of a supervisor for about a year while deployed. He had a propensity for long, unhinged rants about the workings of the army. He was also a balding, lumpy, ranger-tabbed infantry O-4 whose brigade refused to give him a real job after he finished doing infantry BN S3 AND XO time. Lastly, he had a wife in the brigade who was also a field grade officer.

His favorite rant, delivered whilst dainty snowflakes fell around our outpost in Wardak, precluding combat operations and ripening the air with the boredom of soldiers -- something this major could smell from miles away -- was about how the army hates dual-military spouses, and, by that logic, single people on active duty as well. They can't control you if you don't have a dependent, so they will gently caress you until you quit or have a dependent. When this major's wife got pregnant the army offered to let her quit the army. In fact they extend that offer to every female officer who has a kid. Want out? Here's your free pass. Sit at home all day, then go to Target and drown your loneliness in a plastic flood of baby poo poo you don't really need. Bug your husband. Break him. Make him weigh every work decision in terms of whether you'll be mad or just give a little sigh and say, "Okay honey." Make him beg his commander for holiday leave time, because then he'll be working til 9pm for months beforehand to "earn" it. Better yet, make him so miserable that he'd rather be at work til 9pm than go home and deal with your metastasizing, 100-calorie snack-pack devouring, Facebook Military Mom Group posting rear end.

The army wants this because a soldier with dependents who has been broken and can't afford to go to school, or take an income hit after separation, will give the army a full 20 years without protest or expectation of incentive. The army likes that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

You know when you're on a run, ruck, or hike and you start feeding off the misery of the guys who are sucking the most?

Some folks just can't turn it off.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

That’s not very battle buddy of you.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Too long for a thread title?

Unfortunately.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Goddamn it.

Reports are the loving worst and I don’t like having to respond to them in the mod forum.

Just know I hate the reporter way more than the reportee 99.9% of the time.

Sorry boo I should start checking them again

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

My hot take: mustang’s spirit finally broke the other week when his leave got denied and the Kool-Aid Ghost found a new victim to possess.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah that's what active duty air force uses. Any AF computer has access. You just sign out before you leave for the day that day, and sign back in when you get back. If you don't, they just send you email alerts until you do.

Source: I was on AF active duty for ten years like a sucker

The Air Force can’t exist without the army to absorb all the retards.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Got to hang out, in the Alps, with the Italian Alpinis, their mountain infantry. These dudes loving own. The guy to my left kept making fun of us and asking why do americans take the Army so seriously.

Italian Lieutenant Colonel and Sergeant Major. SF and poo poo. Dudes own. Lots of amazing stories from the Sniper Alley in Sarajevo.

This dude was a corporal, and he kept using our rifle to shoot literal dime sized groupings non-stop so we asked him if he is their sniper or some poo poo. Nah, he was a supply clerk but he also takes care of the meticulously trimmed bushes around the post but he doesn't do much during day time so he just shoots.

I don't understand, why is the army allowing you, a PFC, to have fun? Is someone screaming at you from off-camera?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

You have to be a miserable major in order to become a lovely bat commander!

Mustang posted:

Just so I can become a miserable major? No thanks

So I was talking to my old S3 from my captain days recently. I needed an LOR for something and we were catching up over facebook messenger.

former army major -> LTC posted:

Zeris, what up. Have watched Facebook photos of you I various stages of "Born on the Fourth of July". What is the latest, where you at and what are you doing. After 4 years of trying for battalion command and ROTC I finally got the hint the army doesn't need me and dropped my retirement packet last week. Liberating but scary.

Would be happy to help any way I can. Just got to work (nights at Amazon). If you don't here anything back from me in 48 hours out another bug in my ear. This change to Amazon is not super easy and I am working all kinds of strange hours.

(a few days later)

thanks for the reminder. It was necessary. I usually get home about 08 fall asleep until 3 and head to work at 4. Am I just sending it back to you? I will get on it as soon as I walk through the door.

:stare:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I don't see what's confusing about it but I respect that it sounds weird. I guess that was my point. Don't be the guy waiting for a chance at battalion command who takes too long to get the hint.

Just remember. No matter how much you love the army, it will never love you back as much.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

The first time I felt old was when I realized one of my new privates was in elementary school while I was a sophomore in college

I'm done. I tried. The new LTs can do this. gently caress it, I'm out.

Ooooh, new MILPER about Captain's board came out?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

My ROTC peers are all making Major this month

jokes on them, they're still in

Same, and I look back to how majors appeared to me when I was a boot, and I am so glad I haven't become that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Loden Taylor posted:

The tragedy of the military is that you can't just wash your hands of your subordinates. In almost any other job, you could just fire your worst employees and then promptly forget all about them, but not here.

This means that, to cover your rear end, however you deal with your worst soldiers ends up being how you deal with all of your soldiers. The bad ones get kicked out, the good ones get sick of being treated like poo poo and ETS, and the middling ones stay in while learning that this is just how things work, and so they perpetuate the cycle of abuse.

[armystrong.mid]

It's actually hard to fire employees unless they do something incredibly stupid or negligent. Otherwise you have to manage them out or suffer through months of performance improvement plans designed to make them fail. If you don't, you're going to get sued for something.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

3 day weekend for JBLM but I have to work on Monday because our range walk for gunnery was scheduled before the JBLM donsa was pushed out.

Can’t get comped a half day because I’ll miss 350-1 training and if I don’t get that I might say something racist, rape somebody, or kill myself.

Quit being a little bitch and grow some heart hooah

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Posted this in a thread about idiots believing bullshit they shouldn't have believed. Figure you'd guys would want to hear it:

Reminds me of a murder case once.

Soldier goes on a deployment overseas to an out in the middle of nowhere place for a little over a year. Comes home to wife and kids, everything is fine for a little while.

Then, sporadically, over several months weird packages of cut up clothes and items start arriving at the house. Soldier tells his wife: "Ha ha, just a prank. Don't worry about it."

We find the guy dead in his back yard.

If you can't guess he found a lover while overseas and then ran off back to his family. Lover believed all the bullshit lies he told and went nuts when it all collapsed.

Local PD found the lover about a mile off base. Pulled over and ate a bullet.

*extra info for GiP*

It was actually a Marine. It was on some little island outpost. The lover was another Marine. The lover showed up at the house and the wife and kids ran upstairs to hide. The husband ran out the back door to get away. He went left when he should have ran to the right.

What

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

My bad. It was a jilted lover who came back to the states and murdered the object of his obsession. Then committed suicide.

But also she was a veteran and probably was crazy regardless of her time with him? And didn't you say he died too?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I love these whiny blogger accounts that wax all day about leadership and history, when you find out they’re a loving lieutenant:

https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/946435801574977536

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ashmole posted:

Some of his stuff is amusing but I was really surprised to read that. And a guard lieutenant at that.

There's a "leadership" site I can't remember the name of that's full of salty lieutenants bitching about the army's failed leadership with their west point and ROTC wisdom

Also is there anything worse than getting stuck with a bunch of west pointers who talk about west point the entire time?

Hahaha this retard posts on that forum

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Another argument for combining the army thread and the idiot thread.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Weak rear end poo poo posting fake garbage

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

There are cycles other than red?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Pretty cool to be 27 and need your wife to put socks on.

Priapism is no joke!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I always joked about weed and was on 100% of the UAs after switching to the NG. After four years, while doing the monthly duty of sitting in my PTs in one of the classrooms at the armory chugging water so I could piss in a cup (I've always been pee shy, though for some reason only indoors -- on FTXs I could assist the unit in their snow pisswriting no problem) I made a comment along the lines of "Yo, is the reason I'm always here for these "random" UAs because I make all of the weed jokes? I'm literally the only white guy that has to come to all of these." and our dentist, a major, jabbed me in the shin and leaned in with a serious look on his face and went "actually, yes it is. Shhhh."

That's really interesting about your pee shyness. Does it matter how many people are watching?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Pee shyness wasn't my issue. My problem was that apparently I am the only human being in existence that wakes up and immediately takes a piss before running. So when Top got the brilliant idea to surprise everyone at morning PT formation I'm on a completely empty bladder and guess what mother fucker, chugging canteen after canteen until I vomit water isn't going to fix that in ten minutes.

Will you pee for me

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Is it legal?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Have you tried asking nicely

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

Pretty sure I'd still have to go the career course for that, letting the Army sink it's claws even deeper into me.

I'd also probably be a huge rear end in a top hat to cadets because college students are insufferable or end up loving a hot cadet girl and end up with some sort of UCMJ violation

I need to make it out of the Army with my benefits intact

Bullshit.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Every NCO I knew at my ROTC department was loving female cadets or trying to, including an E-8 who had a history of closed-door one-on-one foot inspections with the freshmen ladies after a ruck march.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

one of my pet peeves is dipping, especially officers that do it sitting at their desks spitting into a mountain dew bottle or a monster can all day. So professional being so addicted to tobacco that you have to do it all day everyday everywhere you go, because dipping indoors is totally a thing normal people do. poo poo, I never even see normal people dip but everywhere you look on post there's somebody with dip in their lip.

I throw away any dip bottle or can left unattended even for a second anywhere near where I'm sitting. I'd be all for article 15s for anyone caught dipping indoors, smells awful and its loving disgusting.

I understand your job sucks and you don’t like it but have you considered that there might be additional sources factoring in to your misery?