Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fly Fight Puke on the PT Track that is 300 feet longer than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:golfclap: Well done. Promote Ahead of Peers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.defensenews.com/articles...campaign=buffer

Fly, Fight, Win!

Helldump Immunity posted:

Inshallah

e:

Represent

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20090313-0

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Xbox one has the wrong ram

Something PC Master Race?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just give him an LOC. But fucker didn't do his duty and fill out his paperwork proper, doesn't excuse his attitude, he should've been begging for help, not chewing airmen out for something he didn't comply with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

People want out.

Already informed my command that I do not intend to re-enlist in March, partially due to health issues, but otherwise also due to the current state of things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
gently caress, I can't final out till my Med Board is complete, and they are begging me to stay in. God drat it. And preliminary Med Board results are they waived my Asthma.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Outprocessing in March. Woo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, I'm ETS'd. So long Air Force.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Derek Dominoe posted:

Congrats and thank you for defending are freedoms.

This means you are buying my lunch, right? I'M A VET'RAN!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

My chain of command is starting to get concerned that nobody in the squadron has reenlisted in the past year. Everybody either escapes with a PCS or gets out via ETS.

When I was outprocessing, there was a whole boatload of techs and up that were ETS'ing, almost none of them were re-enlisting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Downs Patrol posted:

How long did your process take once your C&P Narsum was submitted to MEB?

After 225+ days of being coded 37 for IRILO, i FINALLY see VA for exams!

It took 8 months for the MEB to even get back down to the Squadron level. Even then, my commander was like 'I haven't seen a damned thing'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I thoroughly enjoyed deployments, but we were also at the Deid and when we didn't have actual work, I got the crew chiefs into Kerbal.

But I was a TG with a full time IT consulting job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Softface posted:

Today while driving around San Antonio I saw a car with a sticker that said "I Love My Airman" next to an Autism Awareness ribbon.

Guessing the kid got one of the intel jobs.

At least two of my previous NCOs are now at Lackland, one as a MTI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Derek Dominoe posted:

Being chill is the good part about the Reserves and Guard. Deploying in such poor shape you have a stroke just sitting around a tent (happened) or not knowing the basics of your job so other people have to work harder (not exclusive to reservists but more common) is being a piece of poo poo.

Ran into plenty of Active duty guys who couldn't do their jobs either, but I have the advantage of having been both active and guard doing the same AFSC

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wild T posted:

This is the Air Force, when did we give a gently caress about flying planes?

I thought it was a Maintainers world :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rekinom posted:

Bruh, a 787 captain gets paid like 12.5k to fly to Singapore, sit for 2 days in a luxury hotel, and then fly back. Like, I'm sitting here reading the bid package. That's insane. Do that about 2.5 times a month and you're clearing 475k a year total compensation.

No PT tests. No deployments. No OPRs. No awards packages. No DTS. No additional duties. Just go fly to China, eat some dim sum, get a beej, maybe hit the gym or watch some Netflix, and then fly back. That's all you gotta do.

While I'm sure taking a 75k onload sounds super fun, I think you can get creative and find newer, better ways to have fun than making 85k living in loving Omaha.

But the burnout rate is really high. Go talk to some Delta pilots, their schedules are really hectic and its difficult to gain seniority.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's like they pay super high for a reason. My brother flew a Cessna Caravan in Southern Africa for about 4 months and was being paid almost 25k a month to do it. But the hours were terrible and Africa sucks so he burned out and came back tot he states with 6 figures in his pocket and opened up a business. It's not that uncommon a story for pilots getting high paying jobs in lovely places/lovely companies to leave them after less than a year

True. We had a developer I worked with who was an ex-Delta pilot. He flew regionals, but was pulling in something like $30k/month. So he just stacked it up, saved it, and then ditched and switched to programming.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Air Force is 3,400 short of maintainers too. I wonder why :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

If the brass world just get rid of smoke breaks and wearing civilian clothes off duty this morale problem would go away

"If morale reaches zero, then it'll reset. Perfect!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Giant sucking sound from the Air Force will continue. They are more undermanned in MX than they are in Pilots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

From what I can tell the bloodbath on the enlisted side has actually been worse than on the officer side, but enlisted leadership is much better at covering things up

While I was outprocessing in March, there were at least 7-8 other guys from my unit also seperating. From the article yesterday, while Pilots are 1,500 under their manning goals, that same article said MX is 3,500 under their manning goals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Are there any restricted areas in the area around the Deid? Just curious.

There is a small Qatari base/building that I think is off limits just off the main roundabout by the front gate. Might actually be a Mosque, but I'm pretty sure its off limits.

Don't go wandering around on the far side of the base near the ammo bunkers, they tend to pull people over and get rather agressive about asking what you are doing there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dscruffy1 posted:

I've got a dumb question that might come up for me in the next few years because I'm a fat-body. Isn't there some rule on PT tests if you fail abdominal but pass the other portions? I'm steadily creeping towards 39 inches but my run is sub-11 and the other parts haven't been an issue.

Chances are, at least in my unit, your commander can help you get a waiver for your waist size as long as you are passing all other portions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AntennaGeek posted:

I'm currently a non-degree student at AFIT ( I work on base )--- After my initial denial, I was given a list of classes to retake before reapplying for part-time studies.

The list changed three times in 7 months.

(Also, there is some minor drama going on behind the scenes in one of the departments at the moment. You may have dodged a bullet without realizing it. )

Antenna Geek: Are you Comm/Nav or where'd the name come from?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AntennaGeek posted:

Neither--- I'm just one of the annoying civilians with a ham radio license, and an inappropriate fascination with antennas.

Fair enough. I used to like messing with the HAM operators when we were doing long Ops checks, I'd jump on the HF and watch them go nuts when they read back my power out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Radioshack is dying for real this time.

One of my friends bought the entire drawers of components

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The walk test is awesome.

The walk test sucks more than the run.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ckwiesr posted:

It was absolutely brutal and I never want to do it again. The run is by far easier.

The stride is too long unless you are really leggy, its more of a jog/power walk than a real walk, and didn't actually do anything to help prevent my asthma issues from popping up. The purpose of the walk test isn't to help people on profile, its to help further filter people out of the service.

I'm glad I hit my ETS and decided to stick with my civilian life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I didn't mind ABUs, and I was really lazy with my BDUs. Only time I wore a flight suit is when I grabbed one from the Airmen's attic and used it when I went to pull-a-part yards to keep oil off my clothes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, the simultaneous lowering of rank and PT requirements for the job seems like a red flag.

Though, really, anyone who would choose to become a TI probably has a bunch of red flags already.

Manning is down everywhere, and nobody is volunteering for TI duty anymore, its almost entirely a voluntold force now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
When I got out of ANG, they didn't give me any paperwork, been out since March.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Really, officer hazing is much more cerebral. Oh what fun we would have. Our deployed squadron commander made a man who was entrusted to command warplanes of the United States request a written waiver to policy so that the man could be in the same room as his wife with the door closed. On their anniversary. It was the most humiliating thing I have seen done to a husband since I watched Braveheart. Or that time we scheduled an extremely well performing Captain to deploy during the two weeks he had requested off for his wedding and honeymoon. He had already paid for tickets and hotel rooms on the assumption that no reasonable person would gently caress with his wedding just to avoid a deployment shortfall. You should have seen his face.

:stare:

Dead Reckoning posted:

They got me good one time: the Group security office didn't process my security clearance renewal, and when I asked why, they told me that they had lost my SF-86 and associated paperwork. Lost it! As though it was a pair of socks! And that it was my fault, because I had not been calling them regularly to make sure they were doing their job! My squadron leadership agreed that I was making them look bad by not being able to deploy, so they put me on a poo poo deployment with the worst Aircraft Commander in the squadron. Great prank, bro!

A few years later, I got a letter saying that OPM had lost my SF-86 *again*, and they didn't know who had it, but the joke was stale by that point.

No. I would have let my entire chain of command up to the CSAF piss in my mouth if it meant that they would have reassigned me to MC-130s or AC-130s.

:catstare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

turn it it with a red coversheet

And playing this on your phone.

https://youtu.be/U06jlgpMtQs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BadOptics posted:

A specter is haunting NCOA, the specter of transformational leadership.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

10 U.S. Code § 688 - Retired members: authority to order to active duty; duties posted:
(a)Authority.—
Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, a member described in subsection (b) may be ordered to active duty by the Secretary of the military department concerned at any time.
(b)Covered Members.—Except as provided in subsection (d), subsection (a) applies to the following members of the armed forces:
(1) A retired member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or RegularMarine Corps.
(2) A member of the Retired Reserve who was retired under section 1293, 3911, 3914, 6323, 8911, or 8914 of this title.
(3) A member of the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.

So, not normal seperated Reserve/Guard members?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I use mine as work gear for when I'm working on the cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nullscan posted:

Ya'll are both dickheads and if you don't stop loving doing cossack dances at your desks and smashing all my fiber every week I'm throttling your youtube down to 14.4 modem speeds.

Just let their ancient SIPR box fail and refuse to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I miss being in the Air Force. Don't miss the bureaucracy

• Locked thread