Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Depends heavily on their AFSC/specialty. Apparently the scope of practice of military medical personnel doesn't always translate directly to their civilian equivalents.

Enlisted personnel? Not even close. Some (like PJs) are trained as EMTs or even paramedics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I have a friend who's a recent electrical engineering college grad with a civilian job offer at Hill AFB working on some variety of AFMC retrofits/updates for aging aircraft. He's wondering if it's a good starting position for an electrical engineering career in general, what specific type of EE (RF, power, electronics, etc.), and if Hill's community is too white-bread Mormon for a BBQ/booze-loving man like himself. He's an electronics guy, mostly.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Cenen posted:

The sheer number of people who needed the proctors help in figuring out a 6 section scantron sheet for WAPS testing after the proctor explained step by step how to fill it out is staggering.

Are kids exposed to scantron anymore? Is it like asking my generation to generate punch cards for computer input?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, I'm ETS'd. So long Air Force.

Congrats and thank you for defending are freedoms.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Little Garry Parrish posted:

Retention is just fine, comrade. Pay no attention to shrinking ideal manning numbers

Morale is "pretty darn good".

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

The solution to the manning issue is just to change the "requirement." It's just a few ppt slides. No need to check with the operational side, either, AFPC can take care of it.

Remember when our former CSAF said we'd finally be telling Congress we'd be doing "less with less"?

:roflolmao:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
B-b-b-but Total Force!

Even more than this, is there such a thing as reverse-BRAC where we can untangle ourselves from the Army? They ruin everything they touch.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Rekinom posted:

Haha look at these active duty bitches complaining

Y'all take this military poo poo waaaay too seriously. just come over to the reserve side and chill out for a bit while you make the active duty bitches do all the heavy lifting.

Being chill is the good part about the Reserves and Guard. Deploying in such poor shape you have a stroke just sitting around a tent (happened) or not knowing the basics of your job so other people have to work harder (not exclusive to reservists but more common) is being a piece of poo poo.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i really think that reservist/guard medics bring a lot to the table tbh

we had a shitload of civilian EMT-B's, paramedics, and other medical fields who worked with trauma (especially gsw) every day. I'm in no way knocking active duty medics, but there's a lot that spend their enlistment sitting in a tmc doing sick call and inventory all day.

i'd say about 80% of the people in my unit were actively in school of some kind in their real life, which cut down on a lot of BS as well

All of the reserve/guard medics I worked with either didn't have relevant experience (e.g., works in an Ob clinic) or were just plain lazy and looking to get a little tax free money for a couple of months. I'm sure (or at least hope) that's not the norm.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Hamlet442 posted:

I just walked into the bathroom where someone poo poo on the floor. Right in front of the toilet. Then stepped in it and tracked it out of the bathroom. What the gently caress kind of people do that?

Afghans

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

the article posted:

The giant sucking sound from Air Force pilot ranks is only expected to grow louder in the years ahead.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

McNally posted:

Pretty sure the Navy has shot down more Air Force jets than vice versa, too.

I have no idea if that is true, but I do recall a Navy pilot (either Tomcat or Hornet) saying how they could hold their own or win vs Eagles within certain dogfighting parameters, but then the F-15s would "wall up" and gently caress them over six ways to Sunday.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Who do I need to call to make sure the general preening in his service dress with his bitch chief at a crowded airport reaccomplishes his Force Protection CBT? Because I'm under the impression that failure to thoroughly study and comply with all CBTs is tantamount to crimes against humanity and treason.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I preferred a flight suit to ABU's, and BDU's were better than ABU's imho but I never ironed those bitches, and never starched them like others. I got a ton of grief over it from SNCO's but no part of 36-2903 said poo poo about mandatory starching and ironing of the drat things.

The worst part of flight suit was taking a dump. That onesie makes it take some thought to not have your green onesie sitting in a puddle of piss that surrounded the toilets inevitably.

Otherwise still my fave uniform.

There was a video making the rounds years ago investigating the best way to poop in a flight suit. They rejected a number of ways including having your buddies stand on either side and hold it up (too gay). My favorite was always using a handicap stall and tying the sleeves to the hand rails.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Eglin's on fire, yo.

The News posted:

Eglin officials are reporting there were no “significant” injuries following the explosion and fire on base. The incident occurred at a support building near McKinley Climatic Lab.

12:45 p.m. latest release from Eglin AFB officials:
At approximately 10 a.m., a fire occurred at a support building near McKinley Climatic Lab. The plume that contained potentially hazardous material has now dissipated.

There were no significant injuries.

The incident is under investigation.

12:25 p.m.
Denise Kendust, spokeswoman for Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, said the hospital had not received any patients from the explosion as of 12:10 p.m.

One of my in-laws is stationed there and assures me that Burger King is okay.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Just started my PCS to what will likely be my final assignment unless we really want a tour in Europe in three years.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am just going to throw this out here. I graduated with a Masters degree back in May, and my degree primarly focuses on public sector work (Focus in Administration, Budgeting, Auditing, Planning)

Are you Ben Wyatt?

quote:

and I haven't really had much luck in my career search. A family member suggested I try my hand in the Airforce OTS with an administration career since "Every base needs administration".

Either they hate you or desperately want you to move out of their basement.

quote:

I have been doing plenty of research on the idea, but I wanted some feedback from the thread to see if my idea is a dumb one or not.

Look harder for a civilian job. As you've already been told, the Air Force will move you to shitholes like Altus and Cannon, so why not cast your job search just as wide without the baggage that comes with military service. I'd try to dissuade you from suckling on the government teat in general, but we've already established that you're Ben Wyatt and not Ron Swanson.

If you do join and become a Personnel officer, gently caress you ahead of time for everything even tangentially related to AFPC and its minions.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Buca di Bepis posted:

*raises paw*

:siren:Furry spotted!:siren:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
GiP is working hard to get another goon into the military. :psyboom:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Half of the docs I know who were assigned to AFSOC had miserable experiences. Like having their leave cancelled to come sweep hangar floors on the weekend type stuff on top of ridiculous deploymemt tempos I wonder why those guys are in private practice now.... :iiam:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
There should be a "best of" collection of Shim posts. I can't even remember the last username of the main account. OMG PTSD PBUH? Gas Kills Kikes? Cisnazi Weedhitler (my fav)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Coincidentally, that's also how long it took Godholio to finish his PT test.

• Locked thread